Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185051 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are King! (Spring 315a)
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »

Character applications should be made in the OOC thread!

(If there was any doubt, yes this is taken from You are a Lord and directly inspired by the game that evolved there whilst unmanaged.)

The first person to respond to the questions below is the King.  Every other poster takes on the role of an advisor, citizen or the like.

"What is the name of your kingdom?"
"What sort of terrain is your kingdom located in?"
"What year have you ascended to the throne in?"

Note that your kingdom will start out very small, a barony by comparison to larger states.  You have what a barony does not, however; independence.  The stats of the Kingdom are described later and will apply whatever terrain/location the king determines for the kingdom.

Everything is in the king's hands - this is not a democracy.  The general direction of the game is determined by the king.  Unless I as GM decree otherwise, the king has freedom to determine the results of actions via the RtD rules described below.  The king is strongly encouraged to follow the Guidelines to the King at the bottom of this post.  Failure to do so may result in the stars aligning against him and the kingdom being beset by all manner of unexpected dangers.

Spoiler: Original Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Kingdom of Elbreth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jarl Manskinner's Clan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Lands (click to show/hide)

Year 313a
Year 314a
Year 315a

We're out of space!  Even more rules and details on the fifth post of this thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:35:46 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »

"What is the name of your kingdom?"
The Kingdom of Elbreth
"What sort of terrain is your kingdom located in?"
Mostly rolling hills, though there is the beginning of a mountain range to the far south.
"What year have you ascended to the throne in?"
312a

EDIT NOTES: Only went back to expand upon what I originally wrote as well as bold the questions. Additions were just "The Kingdom of" and also changing "mountains" to "mountain range" Original is below:
Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:58:07 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »

Yessss, go Iituem. A more organized form of You are a Lord = Funnnnn
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:23:11 pm »

Will it keep the aspect a bit "freeform" for you are a lord?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

Spoiler: Even More Rules! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:18:25 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »

Will it keep the aspect a bit "freeform" for you are a lord?

Things are as freeform as your new King Thatkid (or his successors) make them.  I have given you a framework to follow, but I'll probably only interfere where it seems fun or is direly needed.  Otherwise, go nuts as with the earlier portions of 'You are a Lord'.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »

OOC:
You got it, boss. I just made a text file on my desktop with all the relevant information. I'll be keeping track of favor in there as well.
As far as freeform goes...you guys are as much players here as I am. As long as things make sense and aren't godmoding or whatever, I'm down for it.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

Greetings, Thatkid King! I am Aulon yl Marchis, son of the famed Duke Belon yl Marchis! Perhaps you've heard of us? No? No matter!

I hail from the beaches of the far-away Storm Coast. You've never heard of it? A shame. No matter! My father thought it suitable to send me to offer my services to a noble lord, and gave a hefty sum of gold and a company of bodyguards to go with me. After some... misunderstandings in a town just across the mountains to the south there, I was left without a single coin! Such are the winds of fate!

Of course, I was not one to let such a thing stop me. I managed to secure a place in a trade caravan heading this way, after my bodyguards had spent some time convincing the owners. I toured the myriad courts of this land until I came to the conclusion you were the most glorious ruler of them all. So, here I am, to offer my services to you. I will only require quarters for me and my men, and, of course, some gold to pay them after my unfortunate troubles down south.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »

I've added in two new rules to the main post, to clarify the concept of raiding and what constitutes a defenceless target:

Raids:  If you are unwilling to capture, you can raid a market, port, town or other taxable structure (but not open land) instead.  On a success, you steal 1d6 Ducats from the Treasury of whomever owned that structure.  If the owner's Treasury is empty, money is stolen from next year's tax revenue.  If that is empty, raiding the structure yields no benefits.  You do not gain ownership of the structure with a raid.

Defenceless Targets:  Targets may be considered defenceless if there are either no armies/defenders in that target's province at the time an attack is conducted or the armies present in that province and unwilling/unable to defend the target.  Attacks on defenceless targets always succeed, though this does not necessarily protect you from retaliation.

In other words, raid for a short term boost of cash from someone's Treasury.  If there are no armies in a province, all targets in the province are defenceless.

Also, I've taken the liberty of providing a map:

Oh King, the limits of your realm are marked out in red.  Sadly, due to the unexpected and sudden deaths of most of the Guild of Cartographers, not much knowledge exists about the world beyond what is on this map.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:00:04 pm by Iituem »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:15 pm »

Padding silently though the streets of Elbreth's unnamed capital the elf pulls it's hood low over his face and conceals his pale pointed ears; a wicked dagger at his side. His target tonight is a new trader who has settled in the region, the elf turns down an alley ignoring the blustery wind sweeping rain around the elf, it was not a hindrance but a device too override his victims shrill screams of death. Another quick glance around and the nimble assassin picks the lock to the shop it's painted sign rocking back and forth in the howling wind, he enters slowly and with a soft click heard by none but himself the door latches closed behind him.

No candles burn and not a soul stirs he thinks as he makes his way up the steps, the foul human in it's bed, the pale elf draws his blade holds it above the humans eye and with one hand keeps his victim in place, the other slowly presses the blade through - as slowly as possible - and dying screams did too the elfs delight ring though the biting weather ensured nobody heard, had the helpless soul seen his assalient he would have gasped, he would have recognized the long curving scar down the Elf's face who's name was whispered in hushed tones. The name they whispered was Ashton.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »

*At some back door of the castle, a witty young man inquires with some servants about any possible employment positions in the areas of entertainment or art for the courts. A jester perhaps?*
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »

(Damn your eyes Iituem. I want more Fiefdoms at war. That said this sounds fun!)

A simply dressed man approaches. "Good sir King, I am Terenos d'Avistral. I come from a small noble house well steeped in politics and manuevering. I come to offer my services in an advisory capacity, to assist you in the creation of a great kingdom."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »

A man dressed in armor waits to greet the king, he is the Commander of the 2nd Regiment of the Royal Army, of which a general has yet to be chosen. He has arrived hopeing to gain favor with the king and the title of General, and perhaps even a Noble title.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »

Unfortunately, many of these advisors appear to have come whilst the King is slumbering.  Or possibly wenching, but you decline to ask.  This might be a good time to offer suggestions for action as his future advisors, in preparation for his return.

Rumours from the Town: A prominent merchant in the capital of Sheepstead has been murdered in his sleep.  (roll:1)  The merchant had no heirs and so his holdings have been inherited by the Crown!  Unfortunately, he possessed little real wealth for all his status and in fact was party to crippling debts, which the Crown has now been forced to cover.

Treasury depletes by 1 Ducat to cover inherited debts.

Elbreth Treasury: 11 Ducats
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:03:48 am by Iituem »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »

The Lawless lands in our kingdom must be taken as soon as possible, weakness in our own lands will lead to weakness outside.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 188