Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854279 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #3810 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

I meant in terms of enormous amounts of stupid emotional baggage.

Most people have this, why should it make you of all people less attractive when you have so much to make up for it?
This.

To some extent, getting older is just about learning to ignore/forget your baggage. After which, it's gone. You only carry that baggage which you refuse to let go of.

Damn, I wish I had a better way of explaining it without sounding like a slightly condescending fortune cookie.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:17 pm »

Yeah, well.

I'm only 21.  Got lots of time to burn on that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3812 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:44 pm »

Everyone has stupid emotional baggage. Going through serious problems can give you is perspective. Perhaps that perspective can let you see just how small the rest of that baggage can be.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

I guess I will say that being lonely really doesn't feel as soul-crushing as it used to, because I've learned about some of the less palatable alternatives.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »

Phew. I gather the nerve to return to this thread after blowing up in it, and I see that I was mostly ignored. Good; I was being overly emotional. Apologies all around.

Kaijyuu, was that directed at me? I am sorry if I stepped on your toes.
Nope. TBH I was just skimming the thread, saw some comments that enraged me, and started spewing my opinion. None of them were yours.

Re: emotional baggage.
Yeah everyone has it. Just gotta learn how to deal with it; don't bottle it up, don't dump it on everyone else all the time. Find an avenue to deal with it.
Only an extremely unrealistic person would expect you to have no problems.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:41 pm »

I have no emotional baggage from past relationships, at least.

But, like most other people who lack that particular flaw, I make up for it by being fucked up in other areas, yay.

And man, you're really only 21, Vector?
I thought you were... like... my age, at least. Woah.

I didn't even go on my first date until I was around that age.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 17, 2011, 10:47:36 pm »

. . .

That was another thing he told me.  You know--that rationally speaking, he was probably the only person who'd find me attractive.  That was before he decided I was evil and hell-bent on his destruction, and before he informed me that he'd adopted me as a fixer-upper project but I just was too intractable a problem for anyone to fix.

Thank you for reminding me of that.  Sometimes I forget.

Welcome to Truean's Bullshit to English Translator, please deposit a $0.25. No? O well:
Bullshit:
he was probably the only person who'd find me attractive.
English:
"I don't want you to think you're pretty because then YOU might find someone better than ME.

Bullshit:
That was before he decided I was evil and hell-bent on his destruction,
English:
"I want you to feel bad and to blame you for alllll my problemseseses."

Bullshit:
he informed me that he'd adopted me as a fixer-upper project
English:
"I'm pretending I was never attracted to you so it doesn't look like I'm losing anything. This is me blatantly and badly trying to cover my own ass while harming you!"

Bullshit:
I just was too intractable a problem for anyone to fix.
English: "You no do everything I tell you to without question or thought! Why you no do everything I tell you to? Imma hurt you emotionally cause you don't mindlessly obey me!"

At the risk of sounding stereotypical or against men, this is the kinda thing women say "men suck" about. Form personal experience, bad dates/relationships with guys sting. It just really hurts being with a jerk, or dumped by one, etc. Sentimental or the dental, it's all pain and it all hurts. Hopefully this might have helped in some way. :)

Well, I'm going to go dig up some quarters or otherwise get change for laundry somehow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:02:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 17, 2011, 11:41:56 pm »

Yeah, thank you, Truean >_<  I can't really tell you how much I appreciate having a gal-pal right now.  It's actually making me all warm and chocolate-fuzzy coated :3

I thought you were... like... my age, at least. Woah.

Man, I have no idea why everyone thinks I'm so much older than I am.  My teachers, the people I meet, etc., for some reason it's pretty much always 30-40 years old.

Anyway, unless one of those many times when I woke up and wondered which year it was had more fruit than I thought, I should still only be 21 =)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 17, 2011, 11:44:54 pm »

[cuddles nicely] Happy to help hon. I'm always here for that. :) What are girlfriends for?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:48:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »

Vector, I think its because you're always talking about pretty advanced math topics - I thus assume you are a grad student, and the assumption then runs that since grad students tend to be older than 21, you are probably older than 21.

Mind you, I'm only, like... twenty... something...? five? 25? I think thats right. So I figured you were like 23-26 or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 17, 2011, 11:49:22 pm »

I agree with Truean; that guy sounds like he was being manipulative and dickish.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 18, 2011, 12:30:19 am »

I have a story that's relevant to the thread's purpose.
Another child beaten to death because of the book To Train Up A Child. Here is the Wikipedia article.

They beat her for seven hours until she started vomiting and choking. She died in the hospital, of a condition usually afflicting earthquake victims. They did this because of the teachings of To Train Up A Child, which claims that it is the will of God to beat your children into submission to you. Her parents did this to her because she mispronounced a word. Their other eight children are alive, but they still suffered the same kind of abuse. Lydia Schatz was seven years old when she was murdered by her adoptive parents.

Her father received 22 years in prison, her mother, 12.

I get asked a lot, off the internet and on it, why I have a problem with religion and Christianity. This is why.

Tell me, if you can, why it's alright to physically assault children, but not adults? Because they're smaller than you? Because you have legal control over them? Because they're "too difficult to teach"? I used to be on the fence about this issue, but I know what I support now. Corporal punishment should be a crime.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 18, 2011, 12:38:08 am »

Find me a good one and I'll take it back.

What you're basically saying is unless I can find a good book about relationships, such books can't exist?

I seriously doubt all relationship books are crap, although I also believe that the more they base the book on "this is how you should live your life", the worse outcomes they may yield. But that's not the only way to write one, as far as I know.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:42 am »

Kay12, assuming they exist, they are statistically rare (at the least), and its probably likely he doesn't even need a good one, so...

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3824 on: August 18, 2011, 01:10:07 am »

Her father received 22 years in prison, her mother, 12.

.. Why does she get 10 years less?

Edit: Also, hitting children is illegal here in Denmark. Completely.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:11:58 am by Lysabild »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 852