Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857575 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »

In an autistic "I don't see how it contributes to the problem, it's sexists and racists that contribute to the problem"-way.
Unless you have autism, I would like you not to appropriate that term for your own enjoyment.
If that was a joke, it was very clever. :)
Siquo... as far as I can tell, you're saying you have an iron-cast right to tell jokes that offend others, but offended people have no right to tell you that you've been offensive and that you should stop offending them.
They do have that right, if they can do it in a humorous form, while smiling.  ;)

What the hell happened to "sticks and stones"?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »

What the hell happened to "sticks and stones"?
We got sick of broken bones and harm from words....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*smirks, chuckles like I'm looking at a 5 year old really, really trying in vain to kick my ass... *

If it takes one to know one, then I am one and would know one if I saw one. You aren't one. Additionally, I know more than a few closeted transsexuals from a support group or two. We're exceptionally quiet on account of being positively terrified of the repercussions of not fitting in. Furthermore we'd never say anything like what you've said here, because we actually get what it's like to have all of society look at us like we aren't human.

If you're not trolling, then you're rather close to it:

If you are trolling, then some pointers:

You've made a racist, post here before, and I sorta batted you away for it before, for making proclamations that white people are a minority and implying that "other people pretending to be minorities" should just shut up already.

Just... yeah, stop already, you're kind of embarrassing yourself at this point, and I'm not sure if you think you're being funny or what, but yeah... not workin' out for ya.

As for whatever this is:

If me making a gay joke makes it easier for someone else to beat up a gay guy in the street the next night, I will NOT take responsibility for that.

It's kinda disproved when you said this:

(In my defense, I never make jokes about rape, nor find them funny)

Why? Hum? Because if you making a rape joke makes it easier for someone else to rape up a woman in the street the next night, you implicitly take some responsibility for that?

:).... It's somehow ok if the joke making makes it easier to beat the shit out of a gay guy, but not if the joke makes it easier to rape someone? Because these aren't equally despicable actions and who cares if a gay guy gets beaten up?

As to everyone else, I would like to thank those of you who have surprisingly for me, expressed support in thread or in my inbox. Truthfully I logged on with an impending sense of dread, because I've done this before online, once (and only once for a reason) and been rode out on a rail. One video game form netted me 293 emails in three days after I casually mentioned how I was in 2004, my first year of college. I was called things that were utterly unprintable, even here. Maybe that's from an earlier time and video game culture informed by Duke Nukem, and I hope so. But, then I log onto battle.net and see the word "faggot," "gay," etc constantly.... "Our character is who we are in the dark when no one else is watching," runs through my mind....

I'm rather glad that hasn't happened here. I want to believe this is a better community, but the cynical part of my mind, which who are we kidding is the overwhelming majority of my mind, tells me it's only because I didn't post in a main thread and that the thread I did post in was full of progressives. I must apologize because I'm well aware I come across as a bitter person. I have a simple explanation, you see I am one.... I confess it's because I've been everything from beaten the hell out of and dropped off at a hospital as a John Doe with seven broken ribs, to blackmailed (by my own sister) over this. If my wounds show raw, this is why.

For whatever it may mean to you, thank you. I appreciate your support. It helps to overcome all I'm underneath.

"The measure of a man is what he does to men he owes nothing to. All men are by nature equal, made all of the same earth by the same Workmen; and however we deceive ourselves, as dear unto the Gods is the poor peasant as the mighty prince." ~Plato

As to women's rights. We've know this for Thousands of years:
"Nothing can be more absurd than the practice that prevails in our country of men and women not following the same pursuits with all their strengths and with one mind, for thus, the state instead of being whole is reduced to half." ~Originally Plato and refined by Aristotle

@ Vector, I'd be honored if you'd use female pronouns in reference to me in this thread. Thank you.

@Africa: I live near Cleveland Ohio and grew up in a very rural area. Granted, its somewhat worse in rural areas, but there is no "good place" I've heard of regarding this.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:48:36 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:27 pm »

Well Leafsnail. Looks like you were right.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

Truean, even if there were a rush of people waiting to jump out and trash you for who you are on this forum, you would have to take into consideration one thing: The amount of people, myself included, who would jump down their fucking throats. Though my jumping down their throats would be more in the form of snide, condescending sarcasm, and not the literal jumping down of their throat.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »

Thank you Willfor, I can honestly say that never occurred to me....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:40 pm »

Fenrir, I love the way you talk.  I'll start with that.

This is dissimilar to cases where terms used to describe something bear nothing in common with that which is being described.

What he's describing is people telling him precisely how and why he is hurting them/causing them difficulty, with an exceptionally easy fix, and rejoindering that he does not care at all.

That does not fit with any description of autism I have ever seen in my life.  It appears to be an appropriation of terms to express inability or disability that does not exist, or, alternatively, paint autists with uncaring disinterest in the feelings of others when explicitly pointed out.  I do know that I said I had problems with that when I was younger, but it's not considered typical of the spectrum.

@ Vector, I'd be honored if you'd use female pronouns in reference to me in this thread. Thank you.

Sure thing.

There's a reason why people have started occasionally using me as a threat, in a sort of "settle down and quit saying that shit or Vector is GOING TO EAT EVERYONE" sort of way.  One of the few times I've been proud to be stereotyped with an overly aggressive temperament :D

But yeah, I can see why you wouldn't think of that.  I masqueraded as a guy on these forums for about a year because I was worried about similar issues.  Then I quietly pretended I wasn't a bunch of other things for a while.  The weirdest thing I've experienced... probably people being flabbergasted that I was a girl, let alone a math major, rather than a professional psychologist >___________>

Yeah, that was silly.

Anyway, I hope you can feel safer here, soon.  We'll watch your back.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:57 pm »

Thank you! I am still finding my voice, if that makes sense, and, while I prefer to communicate in this fashion, I am concerned that other people will find it too strange.

What he's describing is people telling him precisely how and why he is hurting them/causing them difficulty, with an exceptionally easy fix, and rejoindering that he does not care at all.

That does not fit with any description of autism I have ever seen in my life.  It appears to be an appropriation of terms to express inability or disability that does not exist, or, alternatively, paint autists with uncaring disinterest in the feelings of others when explicitly pointed out.  I do know that I said I had problems with that when I was younger, but it's not considered typical of the spectrum.

You would know more than I would about both autism and Siquo's meaning, as I have not been paying very much attention to either. I had tried to discern what he meant by the immediate surrounding text, and I had not read all of his posts. I would like it to be clearly know that I am not in any way defending his views.

The weirdest thing I've experienced... probably people being flabbergasted that I was a girl, let alone a math major, rather than a professional psychologist >___________>

I would hope that their shock is inspired by the quality of your impressive credentials, but I doubt you mean it that way. Mathematics and professional psycology are not easy. Not at all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 18, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

I would hope that their shock is inspired by the quality of your impressive credentials, but I doubt you mean it that way. Mathematics and professional psycology are not easy. Not at all.

Nah, it was that I was creeping them out by being able to guess what they looked like and generally acted in meatspace from how they posted on the forum.  They assumed I had to have a degree in such guesswork >_>  Other people have been pretty shocked to see pictures, too--like "Oh my goodness, now I have proof you're not a guy.  What do I do..."  I'm not quite sure what they were expecting.

Ahh, well.  It's fun to think about after the fact, though I was a bit angry when it happened.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 18, 2011, 09:35:17 pm »

Of course I was.

...Uh, about what?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:47 pm »

This is dissimilar to cases where terms used to describe something bear nothing in common with that which is being described.

Sure thing.

There's a reason why people have started occasionally using me as a threat, in a sort of "settle down and quit saying that shit or Vector is GOING TO EAT EVERYONE" sort of way.  One of the few times I've been proud to be stereotyped with an overly aggressive temperament :D

But yeah, I can see why you wouldn't think of that.  I masqueraded as a guy on these forums for about a year because I was worried about similar issues.  Then I quietly pretended I wasn't a bunch of other things for a while.  The weirdest thing I've experienced... probably people being flabbergasted that I was a girl, let alone a math major, rather than a professional psychologist >___________>

Yeah, that was silly.

Anyway, I hope you can feel safer here, soon.  We'll watch your back.

Thank you for restoring some small sliver of my faith in humanity. :)

I worked with Kids with Autism in undergrad, majored in economics and psychology. They had a lot of "self stim" and some tics (though it varied and depended on how high or low functioning the kid was. We did a lot of ABA therapy.

At some point, I got disenchanted with the work and really frustrated that I could try my ass off and get nowhere quickly. I got out of that work not because I got really frustrated with what I thought was making no and sometimes loosing progress, but because I wasn't strong enough to keep doing it and put the kids ahead of myself by continuing to do it regardless. It was heartbreaking and I couldn't handle it
I'm more than willing and capable of being a complete and utter bastard (bitch?), but I couldn't handle this. I can be a horrible person at times, willfully, intentionally, but this just .... Working with the mentally challenged for a living takes a special kind of person I'm not.... I consider this a failing of mine. I did try though. I tried.

Nah, it was that I was creeping them out by being able to guess what they looked like and generally acted in meatspace from how they posted on the forum.  They assumed I had to have a degree in such guesswork >_>  Other people have been pretty shocked to see pictures, too--like "Oh my goodness, now I have proof you're not a guy.  What do I do..."  I'm not quite sure what they were expecting.

Ahh, well.  It's fun to think about after the fact, though I was a bit angry when it happened.

You're a lot braver than I am. I'd be petrified to send pictures of myself to people I don't know. Granted, I'm somewhat paranoid (justifiably) about that stuff, but still.

Did you notice people were more likely to think you were a boy when you told them you were a math major?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:17:45 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:49 pm »

They thought that she was a boy without any reason to suppose the same, so the mathematics major would not like have made any perceptible difference. We can only assume that they did, for they would not have been surprised to learn that she is a woman.

I wonder if the assumption that other people are men is due to a proclivity to imagine people we can not see as being rather similar to us. It is definitely possible that male is the default because of our society, but I wonder if it is not something else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:19 pm »

You're a lot braver than I am. I'd be petrified to send pictures of myself to people I don't know. Granted, I'm somewhat paranoid (justifiably) about that stuff, but still.

Did you notice people were more likely to think you were a boy when you told them you were a math major?

Well, er... this one notorious photo is everywhere if you want to see it, haha.

I actually strongly suspect that folks are predisposed to think I'm a dude by my own design.  I initially took the username "Vector" for its similarity to "Victor."  And I started off here hanging out in the Mafia subforums, where I got a reputation for being tenacious and full of righteous asskicking.

I suspect part of the problem is that I greet things like

Dude, no way you're a girl!

with

Fuck off, you rectal trilby.

I don't talk like girls are expected to talk.  I grew up surrounded by guys, and as a result my language usage is slightly nonstandard, to say the least.

But in any case, it was never about the math major part--that doesn't tend to come up before we've had the argument.  Something about the combination of personality, avatar, and username, I suppose.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 18, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »

Huh. You look exactly like I expected you to look like.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »

Huh. You look exactly like I expected you to look like.
You expected her to be riding a giant eagle with an awesome hat?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 18, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

Of course I was.

...Uh, about what?

Siquo.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 852