Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (overseers wanted!)  (Read 15212 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

The base price for mucg and crafts are the same, and crafts also make 3 items per stone)
Actually this is why most people use mugs. Crafts are only produced in threes if your crafter has high skill. Mugs are always produced in threes. But w/e, do what you prefer.

After some discussions with the prior management, it seems as if someone was trying to use up excess stone by making crafts.  While this is indeed a good thing with as much digging as we have been doing, I've started having gangs of dwarves paving floors rather than smoothing them.
-_-

19th Granite, Year 6 of Slaughtergorges
[The] "Management of Surplus Stone Project" is being dismantled as we speak. Not the arena. I mean the constructed floors he had built all over the main walkways, which are now impeding the expansion of our living spaces.

If you really want to cut fps, dump most of the worthless (non-flux/ore/obsidian) stone into the magma.

edit: Flooding in the east pasture you say? Huh.

edit2: As I feared, someone knocked a hole in the wall separating the northern lake from the pastures. If that isn't stopped, both northern pastures will be flooded, together with ~ 1/3 of our livestock. I don't see any easy way of stopping it either, aside from chea--ahem, editing in a block wall. Since it looks like someone's already done a great deal of that...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:26:00 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2011, 12:18:04 pm »

There's no problem I see with using crafts or mugs or whatever for using up rock in a game where we can quantum stockpile, but without being able to assign dump zones and quantum stockpile rocks, dwarves are far too random about where they get their rocks from to reliably create clean areas unless you create a new craftdwarf workshop in every newly mined out area and never use stockpiles at all, and that's just a pain :)

With mass dumping , I just store rocks.  Without it, I pave a lot of floors :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »

Like I said, magma. It'll help with fps too. Not that it matters now, your turn is up, and you did a fine job (<- not sarcastic).

I just can't help nitpicking every now and then.

edit: Oh, or just hide it.

edit2: Wait, what? I must have missed something somewhere... I don't recall anyone mentioning hollowing out entire layers.

O.o

edit3: Aha. BrickT's update on page 5. How did I miss that? In light of BrickT's contribution, we might not need to seal off those old pastures. Just get the animals out as quickly as possible and consign it to the lake. The inner cavern won't be secure anymore though :(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:44:57 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »

Hah, I'm pretty OCD about messy forts.  I did what I could for this one.

The drowning pit in the bottom of the fortress could actually be routed up and around and be a false entrance for enemies.  I'm pretty sure it could be dug a bit west then up, and lots of nasty little traps could be built in - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dwarves style.

As for the leak in the wall, that must have occurred after my save - can lava be routed there for an obsidian plug maybe?

Beware the deadly dust FB in the magma - I don't think it has a path out, but you want to make sure you don't give it one :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:47:34 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »

Not before everything worth saving is flooded. We could resecure the cavern that way, but the pastures and anything in them would still be drowned. Not to mention the fps hit from all the water moving around.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2011, 12:59:38 pm »

is there room to create a several-tile-wide tunnel from right under the breach to the edge of the map, then fortify the edge border tiles, and allow the water to drain that way while you get a plug in place?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »

That would also work, and should be doable.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »

Why are the livestock being watered?

There is flooding in the east pasture and it is killing the framerate. Should I continue from farmerbobs save?

If you think you can fix it and don't mind the fps, use the current save. But leaving the fort in a state of flooding was against the rules, so its ok to go back to farmer's save if you don't want to deal with that.

About the FPS:
Its probably a combination of too much stone, too much pathing, and too many items. Don't make mugs any more because you're turning one item into three. Also designating large areas to be dug out will lower the fps until the areas is undesignated or finished being dug up. I'll take another turn to help clean up.

I will take the next year after Ahrimahn as nobody has claimed it yet. We should consider adding this fortress to the F.O.R.T thread as well.

Didn't notice that thread before, will post our fort now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:36:45 pm by JohnnyDigs »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »

Can anyone with a visualizer show us what the statue in the front gate looks like in 3D?

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »

Any progress on the fort BrickT?

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2011, 07:05:05 pm »

Any progress on the fort BrickT?
I have only one month left to go. Save should be up in a couple of hours.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (24 hour turns)
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »

17th Moonstone-
The trade liason took off. I told him we need wood, ores, bars, and some other stuff. He left using the front door like a sane dwarf.
The rocs were still out there. Would YOU want to leave through the front down, laden with mugs?

Can it even hatch, now that the parents are dead?
A. ...They STARTED dead.
B. I dunno, I thought the mommy bird had to sit on the nest for the whole incubation period, but others have claimed otherwise.

Cool story, though I don't think I could complete a turn that fast (and might not even notice that it's my turn!). Can I have a dwarf without taking a turn? If so, s/he's a peasant/cheese maker/whatever who dreams of being a great warrior, with two crossbows and a backup hammer. Name: Alathnil (Bolthammers). Cheerful and foolish, becoming wise and cynical as he takes part in more and more battles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:41 pm »

THE SAVE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F2PL3H84

16th Galena
Farmerbob came up to me today and asked that I take over as overseer for a time. I still had a few things I wanted to finish so I accepted.

Some parts of the wood and grazing land sustainability project still needs digging and the miners don’t have much else to do so I reassigned them. It seems that the excess livestock are being dealt with, which is good.

23rd Galena
I have finally assigned all dwarves to the two floors of rooms and tasked the best engravers with engraving them. The war dogs are taking up valuable pasture space so I assigned them to cages.

2nd Limestone
I was looking over the inventory list and noticed we had a large number of useless goblin weapons and armor. I ordered them melted down into bars.

11th Limestone
Trading with the humans has concluded and we now have more metals bars and other cheap things we can smelt into metal bars along with exotic food, booze, and cheese. Another level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is being flooded with water and mud.

19th Limestone
Zuntir Etharlogem has withdrawn from society and has claimed a clothesmakers shop. She is now looking through several stockpiles for items. I guess we will have to wait and see what she decides to use.

23rd Limestone
After a thurough search of all the stockpiles Zuntir has started working. She is using steel and iron bars, cave spider silk cloth, gems, leather, and some wood. I don’t see where she is going with this but then again I’m not clothier. On another note we have flooded two more levels of the wood and grazing land sustainability project and dug another level. Only two more levels to dig!

27th Limestone
Those cursed zombie yaks are frightening the dwarves tasked with retriving valuable metal objects from the corpses that are outside. I sent the Earthen Riddles to take care of these rotten bovine.

1st Sandstone
Zuntir finished her creation, a cave spider silk mask. I am not sure exactly why she made a mask but it looks very intricate.

9th Sandstone
Eight Migrants arrived today. Among them are three who have some skill in furnace operating along with a fish cleaner, a wood cutter, and an herbalist. Not extremely needed skills but at least we can now melt down these useless piece of junk faster. The milita has also taken care of a few herds of undead animals and the rest seem to be staying away from us. I guess that means mission accomplished.

20th Sandstone
The militia captain Uzol Olinineth Nogleshshalig Nomal has grown quite attached to her iron shield and has even given it a name. As long as they can kill the enemy and don’t cause too much trouble I have no complaints. Digging of the last level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is nearly complete. There should be enough water in the upper levels by the time all the digging is done to flood all of the lower growing levels.

24th Sandstone
These dumb beasts never learn. The zombie mountain goats are frightening the dwarves picking up junk outside so I am sending a squad to take care of these rotting nusances.

26th Sandstone
A goblin has ambushed the tail end of the human caravan. That’s right, one single goblin. He managed to kill the caravan guard and is chasing the caravan twards the fort. I have called the militia to deal with this threat.

Uzol Olinineth Nogleshshalig Nomal was the first to arrive on the scene. She proceeded to stab the goblin lasher while sustaining only a minor injury to her right foot and arm. The rest of her squad was right behind her and before I knew it the goblin was being impaled by four different dwarves. The human seems alright except for a bit of bruising. She is goingto try to catch up with her caravan and tell them what happened. I have taken the precaution of stationing two squads outside incase this was just a probing attack.

28th Sandstone
The last level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project has been dug. All that remains is to flood the last levels and drain the excess water. The miners are now working on creating hallways around the stairwells.

6th Timber
The water has reached an acceptable level and is flooding the next level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project. I have also added some of the new immigrants and a few haulers to the militia. Iteb Lorbamistam gave birth to a boy today as well.

9th Timber
Zuntir Etarlogem gave birth to a girl today. That brings thhe total to seven babys and seventeen children in the fortress.

18th Timber
The caravan has arrived from the mountain home and trading ahs begun.

25th Timber
We have traded for metal bars, things to melt into metal bars, cages, food, booze, and cheese.
There also seems to be a small leak on one of the lower levels, but it isn’t anything major and just drains back into the caverns.

4th Moonstone
I await egerly as the floodgates retract on the level above, waiting for the sound of cool rushing water. Instead I hear a loud *thunk*. I look in the direction the water should be coming and I see a floodgate, just sitting there, midning its own business. It is followed by the rush of water that I had hoped for thankfully. I am going to have to find out why there is a random floodgate chilling out in the water.

13th Moonstone
It is finished. The last level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is complete. Shrubs and saplings are already growing on some of the recently flooded levels. The final floodgates have been opened and the excess water is draining back into the caverns. I can hardly believe it’s finished. there shall be a great celebration in the dining hall tonight to mark the occasion.

26th Moonstone
The new recruits are integrating into the squads well. We need more steel armor for them so I am having some more steel bars made. Now I just have to find that armorsmith.

5th Opal
Alath Ducimitdun has entered a fey mood and claimed a magma forge. He is now searching through the stockpiles for different items.

10th Opal
Alath has begun his creatinon. He is using some leather, bone, gems, an iron block, silk cloth, wood… wait, where did you find that adamantine wafer?

15th Opal
Alath has finished his creation, an adamantine mace. Not very useful but it looks nice.

17th Opal
The miners have finished the hallways and are working on creating more defenseive corridors around the front gate. My plan is to have a large bridge that can be raised when we are under attack and the enemy will have to go through a long and winding corridor with traps at strategic choke points.

12th Obsidian
The trap corridors near the front gate have been dug. They are ready to be lined with weapon traps and cage traps.

27th Obsidian
Smelting and goblin metal junk gathering is going well. Three squads at a time watch out for any goblins or zombies and the haulers store the junk in stockpiles. All but the last level of the wood and grazing land sustainability project is drained. Within a year we should have more wood than we can shake a stick at and plenty of grazing land. I still havent been able to find out where that stray floodgate came from, oh well.

19th Granite
The above ground area near the beehives has been walled off to prevent uninvited guests from dropping in, as it were.

27th Granite
A zombie giant eagle was frightening the haulers above ground so I tasked the archers with shooting it down. A few minutes later it was torn to pieces by their bolts.

11th Slate
I have made a few modifications to the obsidian farm near the forges. It should be working better now. The levers to release the magma are next to the stairs as you come down to the prisoner cage area.

19th Slate
Alath Ducimitdun is busy creating deadly trap components for the front entrance corridor. They should get plenty of work killing goblins.

24th Slate
Udib Borushzulban has claimed a magma forge and is looking around for metal bars. Wait, that’s not a bar, that’s adamantine! She had better know what she’s doing.

2nd Felsite
Udib finished her creation, an adamantine floodgate. It looks expensive.

23rd Felsite
The elven caravan has arrived and trading will begin as soon as all of the bins have been hauled to the depot. Moss is already growing in some of the lower levels of the wood and grazing land sustainability project.

27th Felsite
Trading with the elves netted us some food, booze, cages of exotic animals, splints and buckets. They didn’t have anything else useful unfortunately.

15th Hematite
I have created two new squads of five dwarves each for the militia. Work on the weapon traps in the entrance corridor proceeds as planned. Alath is making the components faster then all of the mechanics we can install them. When the corridor is fully trapped it should be quite deadly.

11th Malachite
A new barracks for the new squads has been dug and furnished.

5th Galena
I have made some additions to the origional corrdor design. I have added some dead ends with dogs chained at the end of them to lure goblins into trap laiden passageways.

15th Galena
The arrival of the human caravan marks the end of my term as overseer. Overall it has been a good year. We had no goblin attacks save that ambush of one goblin. More furnished rooms were stocked and assigned to the residents. The wood and grazing land sustainability project is finally completed and the moss and saplings are sprouting up everywhere. Junk has been smelted down into bars. The front gate is now a maze of deadly traps and should stop most goblins dead in their tracks.

However our new soldiers need better armor than what they are currently using

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2011, 12:05:28 am »

Did you have any difficulty making cages store properly?  Animal storage was badly broken at the end of my term.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »

...an adamatine hatch cover...

I think that's the signal to dig out more adamantine.

=====

By the way, you mentioned the beehive area... how are the hives doing? When I built them there was only one (bumblebee) hive on the map, but another player mentioned that a hive had actually been installed. Are they being harvested? Are the hives being split?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:48:36 pm by wlerin »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9