Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort (overseers wanted!)  (Read 15222 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtergorges- Terrifying Glacier Succession Fort
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2011, 02:46:21 am »

16th Malachite.

We've been busy these last two months and a bit.

There was a siege of goblins and blizzard men on 26 Felsite.  Crushed them.  Several militiadwarves are now more cozy with their weapons than seems safe, even giving them names, but their commanders say this is normal for an experienced soldier.

The hundreds of loose animals with no apparent purpose running all over the place in the fort is crazy.  If it's not a pet or an obvious herd beast, it gets cooked.  If a future overseer wants to have lots of strange animals underfoot, I suppose that's fine, but I've stepped in one too many piles of goat dung while wandering around trying to straighten this place out.

Ghosts were everywhere.  At least two dozen of them.  Have created a special room for only slabs.  Just a memorial room to keep the place straight.  Removed all the slabs from where they were and put them in this room as well.  There may be duplicates.  So?  It's not like we don't have enough rock.

The elves came.  We gave them mugs.  Mugs and more mugs.  Mugs too, and then gave them more mugs.  They seemed happy with this.  They traded us practically everything on their beasts for the mugs.  We have stopped making mugs - for now.  I'm going to try to re-organize the depot and craft trading area and implement an efficient jewel encrusting process for the, err mugs.  We are making coffers from the rock dug out to make room for the new finished goods processing and Depot area.  Lots of dwarves have bedrooms with no storage.  This will change.  I am not your mother!  I am not going to pick up your old clothing!  However I will see to it that you have a place to put said clothing.

The mayor, manager, guard captain, bookkeeper are now relatively happy with their rooms.  The mayor is still screaming about windows though.  No clue why this simple demand isn't being met - I've assigned at least three dwarves to the job, checked, and we have the materials and the facilities, and everyone has access.  Weird.  I'm probably going to have to bang heads together to make this happen.

Two very large new refuse pits have been dug out.  We are making pots for the cooking project with the stone from this effort.

All in all, progress is satisfactory.  No progress has been made on what I really want to do, but the state of affairs here is such that some organization must happen before any major project is started.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:37 am »

Oh my.  Quite the mess.  Will have to see what I can do to properly invite visitors into the fortress so their loot is all stored indoors.  I see some sort of massive megaproject below a windmill farm that looks liks some sort of 50x50 mist generator.  Will have to look more closely to see If I can figure it out.
It's a tree farm

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 09:21:58 am »

Oh my.  Quite the mess.  Will have to see what I can do to properly invite visitors into the fortress so their loot is all stored indoors.  I see some sort of massive megaproject below a windmill farm that looks liks some sort of 50x50 mist generator.  Will have to look more closely to see If I can figure it out.
It's a tree farm

Ah, I've left it alone - concentrating on cleaning up - FPS has gone from 20 to 30.

New entry in a bit :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2011, 09:48:49 am »

22 Moonstone

After buying out the elven caravan, the human caravan, and the dwarven caravan from the mountainhome, we've put a substantial dent in our mug colection.

The new design for the sorted finished goods is in.  I've suggested to the stonecrafters that they start to produce crafts rather than mugs - there are more types of crafts and we are more likely to get more value from them.  (OOC - The big reason for crafts rather than mugs is that crafts are easier to find - type "finished" in the search field, then select crafts, and viola!  Mugs are hateful.  The base price for mucg and crafts are the same, and crafts also make 3 items per stone)

After some discussions with the prior management, it seems as if someone was trying to use up excess stone by making crafts.  While this is indeed a good thing with as much digging as we have been doing, I've started having gangs of dwarves paving floors rather than smoothing them.  This uses up rock at a satisfactory pace, and has the side effect of preparing any new construction for use.

Here's some of what's been happening recently.

On 6th Galena, a hydra attacked us.  It ran straight into a cage trap.  I might use it as a guard beast at the bottom of a pit, if I ever get around to building defenses.  This is looking less likely as time goes on.

on 23 Limestone we got more immigrants.  Some moderately useful skills, however none of them were actually highly skilled.

on 11 Sandstone Gorrotthezum, a donkey bone war hammer, was created.  It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in battle.  It MAY be an appropriate weapon for a hammerer though = I'll have to think about it.

And back to today - 22 Moonstone.  Today Kabumoz, a clear tourmaline coffin was created.  A substantian number of gems went into this and the value of the item is certainly enough to satisfy royalty, should we ever attract any.

I'm on the lookout for someone to take over for me on 1 Granite.  There seem to be a few promising dwarves around. 

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

How time flies when you're figuring out how to kill off lots of caged creatures all at once.  I wanted to get us back on a granite to granite year, but this took longer than expected.  FPS is up to 33 on my machine though.  Yay!

85 cages of critters at once:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rather than wait several years for my dwarves to hook up 85 mechanisms to 85 cages, and then to a single lever, I heated.  Every cage has it's own lever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The two control levers ate noted.  One to fill the water, the other to empty it.

I do not know if the hydra will survive water, so I'll be releasing it and 84 other critters to fight before I pull the water lever.

I'm doublechecking everything now, then saving, then will pull the trigger, and if all goes as planned, saving again, zipping, and uploading.  Then I'll post up my last comments on my turn.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

I...  did not consider what killing 85 creatures with equipment simultaneously would do to the game, lol.

I'm going to have to push to the end of Galena to get framerate up - right now I'm sitting at 15 fps and idlers at 0, but they are getting lots done, just slowly.

I don't want to leave anyone else with this mess.

However, the instant the human traders appear, if they come this year, I'll pass the game on.  Likewise if season change happens before the horrible snarled up mess straightens itself out.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

Dont worry I have the monolith to play it on  :P

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »

OK humans popped up as the framerate started to perk up a bit.  I have miners down at the bottom expanding the drainage for the killpit, they should be done fairly soon.

Uploaded file is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4571

Humans showed up on 16 Galena, and are sitting at the edge of the map.

Will post a last journal entry in a bit, after I order food in RL

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

I will take the next year after Ahrimahn as nobody has claimed it yet. We should consider adding this fortress to the F.O.R.T thread as well.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »

16 Galena.

Well, it was quite a ride towards the end.  The engineers said it would work but that kept looking at me funny when I said we should be done by Granite. When we finally pulled the trigger, it was nearly Galena, and for three weeks the fortress was hauling dead goblins and their gear out of that hole.  The hydra, as well.  I think we might be fortunate that we chose to wall in the entire enclosure securely with no doors or even hatches, floodgates, or bridges.  When that Hydra came out of his cage underwater, he went berserk.  I don't think he drowned though, the 84 other creatures in the water with him were all attacking him.  The hydra corpse is in the corpse storage area.  I'm not sure if the butchers will handle it though, since it wasn't killed by a dwarf.  Butchers have some mighty strict union rules.

In order to facilitate cleaning up the trash that might actually be useful, there is an armor and weapons stockpile near the barracks area, 2 levels down or so.  Bins are not allowed, so you can easily see everything and accurately determine what you want to melt.

The artifact lever in the mayor's bedroom is NOT hooked to anything - I just needed a place to put it while we were installing 300 mechanisms in the goblin pit.

The animal processing area needs some more consolidation.  We have butcheries and tanneries spread about a good bit.  There's a good start about halfway down the fort.  Useful refuse one side, refuse that might rot on the other.  Butchering shop in the middle.  Food storage as well - plenty of room to mine out some more space, put down floors to quickly get rid of the rock then make a serious food handling complex - what we have now is very inefficient.

I believe I've stopped most of the infinite production lines, except the one for bins, which will only last until the wood runs out again.

If you need to get rid of some rock, build floors - it's the fastest way.

The archery squad is acting mightly weirdly.  I tried to put a hunter in the squad, and the squad leader made him a wrestler.  The look on that hunter's face!  I pulled him back out though, I'm not putting an archer in a squad so he can play melee.  There were two well-skilled hunters in the last couple waves!

((The animal storage is also acting weirdly.  Cages are not being drawn from them, and creatures are not being returned in their cages.  New animal storage areas have the same problem, they are simply not working.  Your dwarves do seem to pull empty cages from the depot if there are any there, to fill traps with.  Either that or they are pulling cages out of thin air.))

In the last few weeks before I pased the torch, there was another artifact!  Usitharoth - a goat leather robe.  I was not terribly excited, though it is a nice looking robe!

((Before I pulled the lever on the goblin killer, I was at 34-35 fps with 60 idling dwarves.  At human arrival, three game weeks later - 15 fps with 6 idlers, but improving.))

I believe all dwarves are assigned to the "Indoor" burrow at this time.

I believe all dwarves have a personal bedroom, but the most recent wave of immigrants might not.

The jail needs more cages or chains.

Our mayor seems to like tin and windows, watch out and save some tin back without alloying it.

Best of luck, if you have any questions about what I did, I'll be around.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:14:15 am by Farmerbob »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:02 pm »

Record Of Slaughtergorges

16th Galena

This fort is... insane, the layout is just about driving me mad trying to find where everything is. In a way its beautiful in its chaos but the last time Dwarves in a frozen region admiring the beauty in chaos resulted in Syripleaf.

17th Galena

I have tried to reassign everyone to do the jobs that they are skilled at and was glad to see that the number of idlers whent down.

28th Galena

I have finally found the Trade Depot in this elaborate maze of tunnels leading nowhere, half remembered plans for doomsday projects, and thrice damned warm stone. i bought almost everything in the caravan.

12th Limestone

In my increasingly confused time running this fort I have noticed something of interest, a pyramid that is comepletely unused, I have begun the process of holowing it out to make

11th Sandstone

The Miners Guild has gone on strike apparently these idiots refuse to dig my pryamid.
good for you now be a good little soldier amd wait to die.

12th Sandstone

MIGRANTS!

18th Sandstone

The Cats are starting to worry me I dont want them taking over the minds of any members of this fort, they help the enemies of the fort I have ordered all of the cats thrown from the highest point in the fort.

20th Sandstone

I apologize to future rulers but i am unsuited to run this for, it is like one long series of annoyances that moves at a glacial pace.

SAVE!!@#$#!@T^umlknfuh)*(
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4574
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:01:27 am by Ahrimahn »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:33 am »

Heh, yes, it took me a couple hours just to figure it out to the point where I would actually start letting the dwarves work :)

That's one reason I suggested starting to simplify things a bit.

The rule about no quantum dumping is a bit painful too - without quantum dumping, every craftshop in that place turned into a quantum dump all on it's own, lol.

BrickT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:42 am »

Why are the livestock being watered?

There is flooding in the east pasture and it is killing the framerate. Should I continue from farmerbobs save?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:54:14 am by BrickT »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9