Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23153 times)

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »

Scaldedabbeys Year 2, Autumn Report

Early in the season a clothes maker, Jimmy Cotton, stopped making robes and started demanding yarn cloth and rock bars. What the hell are rock bars? I thought I was going to have a problem on my hands but according to that dwarf rock bars means bronze bars. It takes a clothier to not know the difference between rocks and metal.

Jimmy Cotton proceeded to make the most magnificent slipper I have ever seen!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Truly he is a master, but also a wise ass for only making one.

After a migration wave that boosted our numbers to 53, the dwarven caravan and a liason from the DTA arrived! We traded with them and made deals about future imports/exports.

A small band of goblins tried to crash our party but the militia took care of them.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 433,664
Siege: No
Mandates: None
Population: 53
Deaths: 0
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. Currently in use.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:30:52 pm by JohnnyDigs »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 01:00:56 am »

I would prefer if you guys didn't take more then a week to finish...

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2011, 02:09:34 am »

2nd Year Autumn Report, from the journal of Carpenter, year 302

I'm trying to limit our production so that our trade discrepancies won't grow too large with some of the other forts in the trade alliance.  Unfortunately, it seems that we've already grown too large for a couple of them, but I think we can maintain parity with the other two...

I told both Ranger and Hunter to stop hunting for now.  The meat from the large beasts roaming about are apparently quite rare and somewhat responsible for a large part of our trade surplus.

Smelter managed to make some fine steel ever since we found that patch of marble he said was pretty good flux.  Apparently it's just been sitting around in our stockpile for a few months now.  I asked around if anyone knew how to make armor or weapons and got nothing but blank stares.  One of the miners raised his hand and said that he took a class once when he was a little.  I told him he's our new weaponsmith and armorsmith and tasked him with making two sets of steel armor and battleaxes.

2 Limestone 302
I noticed that Hauler was outside trying to hunt Warthogs.  I write trying, because all she managed to do was waste some crossbow bolts.  When she ran back inside to refill her quiver, I stopped her and asked her what she was doing.  Apparently, I told her that since she was unskilled in anything, she was free to try her hand at any of the jobs around the fortress.  I took the crossbow away from her and told her to go haul some more refuse.

13  Sandstone 302
Miner Onshenstinthad got into a strange mood while in the middle of creating steel armor and created this strange floodgate.  He was very confused, and did not recall creating the item, but was pleased nonetheless as he showed it to me. 

I told him to quit mucking about with vanity items and finish those pieces of armor.

14 Sandstone 302
More migrants have arrived.  Eight of them.  I didn't bother learning their names.  I picked one at random, told him that he's now a miner and left to go about my business.  I'll let the others fill these people in on our naming policies.

12  Timber 302
A trade caravan came from the alliance.  They brought everything I asked for last season and seemed polite enough, but I can sense their eyes watching and weighing everything I said or did.  I know that they managed to asses the worth of our little community down to the smallest pig tail sock.

The fort as of the end of Autumn, year 2

We need to finish roofing off the top section of our home.  A bit of fortifications were started on the north side of the wall. 

Our above-ground pens and farms.  I ordered most of the pond to be floored over and installed some workshops on it.  The remainder is used for a pond and occasional fishing.  A smaller pond was turned into a well.

This area was everyone's temporary homes in our first couple of seasons.  This floor contains the mushroom farms as well as the turkey pens.  The birds act as an alarm signal since they make a lot of noise when they see strange things through the glass windows.

Below the mushroom farms, there is a second line of dodge traps that must be navigated before anyone can access the stairs leading to our home.

A couple of floors down from the mushroom farms is the food prep area.  In addition to the kitchens, this place contains the still, butcher, tanner, and a couple of farmer's workshops.  The Depot is also placed here temporarily until we finish the main entrance defenses.  A vein of hematite was discovered and mostly mined out along the eastern wall.  We'll patch it up with constructed walls once the vein is tapped out.

There's a whole floor below the food prep area devoted to holding our food, both raw and cooked.

There's a couple of levels left undug (to allow for future expansion) before we reach the dining room.  It's not quite finished and still needs more furnishings and engravings.  Maybe put in some cages of exotic animals...

There's a couple of untouched levels (again, for future expansion) before we reach the bedroom cells.  In keeping with our common dwarf ideology, everyone gets the same size rooms.  There are two floors constructed that can hold about forty dwarves each.  However, since I have more tasks than anyone in the fort, I'm thinking of moving into a couple of rooms down below...

A couple of floors below that, we have some small rooms, designed to hold private workshops (or maybe bedrooms?).  I haven't really decided what to do with this area, so we're leaving it alone for now.

A few floors down and we get to the raw materials floor.  This area holds things like wood, cloth, leather and various other raw materials for other industries.  It also currently has the only entrance into our home until the main entrance is finished, as well as a vein of galena.

A few floors below that, we have the common workshop area.  Eventually, the plan is to limit this area to those that are learning their trades, with private workshops for those that are masters of their craft. 

A couple of floors below the workshop is the area that is going to be set aside for finished goods.  The three ramps in the room lead two floors down into what will be the main depot.  Bridges will be placed on these ramps when not in use, allowing full access to the depot from the outside while keeping the rest of the fort secure.

The future location of the trade depot, surrounded by barracks, armament storage and training rooms.  The trade depot can't be reached from this level directly and is only accessible from above and below through ramps.

This area has a couple of small ramps up to the barracks and a large one to the depot (all of which will have a bridges covering them when not in use).  In case of siege, melee squads will meet creatures in this area.

This is going to be the future entrance.  Dwarves will be able to shoot at opposing forces through fortifications.  The inside perimeter of the fortification is only accessible through the barracks and currently holds our ammo stockpiles (I figure why bother placing them anywhere else, when they'll do the most good here?).  A channel has been dug in front of the fortifications so the crossbow squads won't be harassed at close range.  There's also a refuse pit near the entrance to more efficiently clean the area after attacks.  Traps will fill every square inch of this place in the future and might involve magma.

The hospital lies a couple of floors below the entrance.  Also included is a future well and some small rooms.  I haven't told anyone yet, but I'm preparing these rooms as prison cells, just in case.  I still suspect treason even though nobody has gone near the hidden lair down in the caverns in months.  I also think that I definitely will move my rooms down here.  I am the chief medic after all.  It's only fitting that I be placed near the area I'll be working in.  The fact that my bedroom will be three times as big isn't a factor.  Really.  Nor is the private dining room and study.  Nevertheless, I think I'll get Engraver (or Hunter, it seems he's picked up engraving since he's no longer hunting) to pretty up my rooms.

Several floors below the hospital lies the catacombs.  Only a few of the alcoves have been properly finished, but I'm hoping we won't need that many tombs.  In any case, the only deaths I see in the future will probably belong to any traitors and a proper burial is too good for them.

Almost immediately below the catacombs are the caverns.

About a dozen or so floors below the caverns are the magma powered workshops.  I'm thinking of placing a secondary living area down here so that those working here won't have to travel as much.

An end of season assessment shows me that we have no hope of keeping pace with the other communities in the alliance....

End-of-season report
Wealth: 505,756
Siege: No
Mandates: None
Population: 39
Deaths: 0
Borders: Trade Depot accessible.
Traders:  1 dwarven caravan successfully traded with.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:38:58 am by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2011, 02:24:28 am »

I would prefer if you guys didn't take more then a week to finish...

Sorry, thought we had til Sunday to get these up.  Winter is done, I'll post the full report later, but basically...

I decided that I'm just going to live with the future trade sanctions and made extras of everything I think I would need and would be prohibited from producing, including 7 sets of steel armor/weapons (most of them of low quality due to lack of skilled smiths) for my militia as well as bone xbows for the entire fort.  Also made a bunch of spare furniture and other stuff.  Unfortunately, I didn't plan this very well and it looks like I might run out of booze by autumn...

Currently...well, under siege is kinda overblowing it...under...attack?  Two squads of goblins came in the last few days of winter, one of bowmen and a second of lashers.  I would've been ignorant of them if not for my turkey alarm system.  All but one of the bowmen died in the dodge traps.  The last one was unharmed somehow and is now sitting at the bottom of the pit, 27 levels below the surface entrance.  Most of the lashers also died.  The last two are bloodied and crawling their way off the map as the season ended.  They're having a rough go at it because they keep passing out from pain.

The bridges were never closed throughout all of this and the fort is open for trade.  I'm currently trying to figure out a way to bring magma up 25 levels to flood the bottom of the dodge pit...

End of Year 2 Report
Wealth:  707335
No caravans this season
Fort is open for trade

I'll have a full report later, with more screenshots.

From the Journal of Carpenter, Expedition Leader, Leader, Commander, Boss, Manager

1 Moonstone 302

Looking over these trade papers, our situation seems bleak.  I have made a huge mistake and agreed to restricting the production of certain goods and services to other members of the alliance.  But reports from the last caravans indicate that they're not able to produce as much because they're importing so much of our food.  I think I'll coordinate efforts to producing as many items on the list as possible before these trade quotas go into effect with the new year.

Main priority items are:  Enough steel armor and weapons for the milita.  At least one crossbow for every resident and enough bolts to supply them.  Also, extra mechanisms, cages and traps to bolster our defenses.

14  Moonstone 302
The livestock was acting strangely today.  Ranger told me that a Giant Jaguar was prowling the walls outside and it was making them nervous.  I don't know what a Jaguar is, but it sounds ferocious.  Perhaps the elves will trade us a breeding pair if I ask...

18 Moonstone 302
Rhinos were hanging about just outside our fort.  Hunter wanted to hunt them, but I shot down that proposal.  We have enough meat.

6 Opal 302
I ordered my belongings moved to the larger bedroom down by the hospital.  It's nicely engraved with rather flattering images for the most part.

But one image in particular caught my eye.

I need to have a word with Hunter.  Several words, in fact.

4 Obsidian 302
Everyone was working quietly and efficiently in the main workshop when GemCutter suddenly stopped whatever he was doing and started giggling to himself like a fool elf.  He quickly pranced about and with a great flourish selected a single piece of large black zircon.  A few days later he produced a bed.  Out of one tiny piece of black zircon.  I don't know how he did it, but it's marvelous.  I think I'm going to claim it for my room.

27 Obsidian 302
Farmer was working quietly in the mushroom farms when the turkeys started getting agitated.  She looked outside but saw nothing and went back to work. 

When the turkeys started acting crazy again a few seconds later she was tempted to ignore them, but glanced out the window out of habit.  Lashers!

Apparently two squads of goblins have come to attack our peaceful home.  A first group of goblin archers were dealt with by the traps with nobody (other than the turkeys) the wiser.

But one of them did manage to survive and is now hiding in the stairwell.

The goblin lasher group also failed to get past the traps.

The new year has arrived.  There is a single goblin cowering in the stairwell and a ton of goblin equipment left to haul.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:31:55 pm by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2011, 05:32:24 am »

Just a reminder to all that the deadline is later today.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »

(My apologies ahead of time for the late post. I was busier today than I had expected.)
Second Winter Report of Salverope

The goblin ambushers have been dealt with. We've managed ta capture one of them, though I don't know what ta do with the scum. Some time later, a bowyer's eyes glazed over, and he claimed a bowyer's workshop. He made a pretty nice bow, but I cant envision a use for it. Worth quite a bit, though.
Another beast from the depths has been spotted! We're still completely isolated from the caverns, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The ghost of one of the caravan guards has risen and is stalking one of the fortress brewers! I shall have ta ask the trade alliance for some exorcism tools or incense or somthin'.

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.

(OOC) Year in Review:

I really was not expecting that ambush. Then again, the military aspects of the game are the ones I tend to fail the most at, and lose the most fortresses to. Still, a lot got done this year, and magma forges should be up by the next year. We can take a few petty restrictions next year, right?
Right?

Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:33 am »

Dwarven Trade Alliance: Year 2 end official report.

RTiger - Y1 Wealth: 16923☼
30829 - 13906
44871 - 14042
59432 - 14561
89406 - 29974

Ruling: Starting to bloom

Billybobfred - Y1 Wealth: 35201☼
62238 - 27037
152143 - 89905
259540 - 107397
399981 - 140441

Ruling: Steady growth.

PotatoLord - Y1 Wealth: 67448☼
109183 - 41735
111726 - 2543
199337 - 87611 - Lost Caravan
452668 - 253331

Ruling: Explosive, unstable growth.

cdrcjsn - Y1 Wealth: 143542☼
250030 - 106488
460481 - 210451
505756 - 45287
707335 - 201577

Ruling: Wealthy. Uneven growth

Johnnydigs - Y1 Wealth 246,104
322,872 - 76768
367,635 - 44763
433,664 - 66029
Disorginized!

Ruling: DISORGINIZED! Even growth

All the accounting is going to poke my eyes out! Economic penalties is going to be based on a yearly total unless I can find an easier way to compare all these figures. (Also, cdr would be taking insane penalties if we based this seasonally.)

Restrictions for the coming year

RTiger: Eggs, Chairs, Beds

Billybobfred: All Booze, All wood, Eggs, Chairs, Beds, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth

Potatolord: All Booze, All wood, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth

cdrcjsn: All Booze, All wood, All weapons, Eggs, Chairs, Beds, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth, Pig Iron Bars, Pig Tails, Gypsum Powder, Soap, Mechanisms, electrum, adamantine, biscuits (easy meals)

Johnnydigs: All Booze, All wood, Eggs, Chairs, Beds, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth, Pig Tails, Yarn Thread, Gypsum Powder

Booze Restricted. Booze can not be brewed or traded for this year.
Wood Restricted: Trees can not be chopped down, Wood can not be traded for.

Behavior Restriction Activated: All glass furnaces are now forbidden! (Except RTiger)

Your next report is due by next sunday morning or you will be given the disorginized penalty.

Begin year 3

Reminder! When you get a mayor, pay attention to mandates!

Penalties generated by www.random.org
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:06:43 am by RTiger »

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2011, 03:49:53 am »

cdrcjsn: All Booze, All wood, All weapons, Eggs, Chairs, Beds, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth, Pig Iron Bars, Pig Tails, Gypsum Powder, Soap, Mechanisms, electrum, adamantine, biscuits (easy meals)

Just to clarify, this means I can no longer mine Hematite right, but I can smelt the Hematite already mined out (not that it'll do me much good since it looks like I got Pig Iron also restricted).

Hmm...and no eggs?  Looks like I'm gonna need to lock up my turkeys for the year.

The only thing that has me concerned is the Booze.  At 12 drinks per season per dwarf, I'm gonna run out fairly quick.  I hope my fort can manage with just drinking water for most of the year.
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 04:36:38 am »

Yeah, you cant mine out more hematite ore or trade for it. You can still smelt iron bars, but as pig iron is also restricted, your steel industry is basicly boned this year.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

1 Granite 12

Well, the messengers have come in, the numbers have been tallied, and the reports sent out. Looks like this is not the only fort having troubles. No Eggs, Beds, or chairs can be made this year. Oh well, we will make do with what we have.

In other news.... Guys, thats Diorite, not Dolomite!  Our magma defenses have literally melted. We will deal with this issue as well.

So starts the new year. Lets make all we can for the alliance.

6 Granite

All the holes in the magma platform have been covered with fire proof hatches.

14 Granite

More plans for the new year

Bedrooms are clearly on hold until we can reestablish contact with Potatolord. Until then, how about we move those farms down closer to the stone and away from the surface. As an additional, I want to make the others happier, so I have designed a mist generator to be built in the well room/ main meeting hall.

I still want the land above with a gift for the elves. CLEARCUT THE LAND!

1 Slate

All the animals are starving, but no matter. We had plans to butcher them all anyway.

21 Slate

Moody Dwarf, one of the bonecarvers. I look forward to seeing what happens

6 Felcite

He made a deer bone door. Fairly valuable also, compared to the others

14 Felcite

The elf merchants showed, but we were not quite ready for them. Quickly, we built a trade depot in what is to become the mayors room. There was no other place to put it really.

End of season

Wealth: 207854

o.o Wow, my wealth more then doubled this season. If any of you think I have just been slacking on wealth, This should show otherwise.

Now at least, I can focus on things besides the basic needs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:41:33 am by RTiger »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

1st Granite, 203
The yearly report from the DFTA arrives this season.

It doesn't look good.

We can probably get by with the booze we have.

The wood I'm not so sure of, but we're on a glacier, so it's pretty bad anyway.

The eggs... well, that was our main food source. We probably have enough meals to last out the year without even making more, but... it's worrisome.

We can probably live without more chairs. Beds can wait.

We have no hematite anyway.

Plump helmets are another thing we probably have enough of.

Coffers are a luxury.

Bone bolts... well, those were kind of our only practice bolts. Oh well... I suppose they can use live ammo. If they must.

We weren't using swords or cat meat anyway.

But pig tails are our only source of cloth. Let's hope we don't run into any pressing, uh, cloth-needing situations?

And no glass furnaces are to be used. I don't think we even have those, so, uh?

17th Slate
We've got a mood!

24th Slate
More migrants... wooo.

7th Felsite
and there he goes
the big dwarf....
HASS the materials

11th Felsite

I think that speaks for itself.

16th Felsite
Elves have shown up to trade.

17th Felsite
And so has a goblin siege! (not to trade, I imagine)

20th Felsite

Well. That didn't last long. Retrieve the goblinite!

It is now summer.

1st Hematite
Is that the best the goblins can throw at us, then?

End-of-season report
Wealth: 628371☼ created, 81685☼ imported,  14433☼ exported
Orders: Nothing.
Trading: 1 caravan arrived this season.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:53:34 am by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:02 am »

1 Malachite

I gave the orders to dig out the new farms at the beginning of the year, and the miners only now are starting to get around to it. I have assigned two more miners, with newly forged copper picks to the job.

The mayors room is finished, and turns out, I was selected for mayor. Gold weapon rack, gold armor stand. All the furniture is gold, except the bed and one of the chairs. Even the door is gold. I can make do with just one gold chair. Was also thinking of making the floor gold, but I doubt the others would agree. We got too much to do as is. The mist generator however is proceeding well. Still need a few more gear assemblies to complete the complex mechanical structure required.

22 Malachite

Plans for the new water reactor has not gone according to plan and it will need to be redesigned. Fortunately, This does not affect the rest of the mist generator.

26 Malachite

A masterwork piece has been lost! Does this mean thieves managed to slip in the fort and escape with one of my prized works of art!?!  I am building a chain at the gate and assigning an attack kitten there to alert of any  hidden surprises.

20 Galena

And now the other bone carver is in one of those moods.

26 Galena

Deer bone door, now wolf bone Cabinet. This one is rather worthless also.

End of Season

Wealth 368449
No traders this season

Eep! Runaway Wealth!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:53 am »

1st Hematite
AW
YEAH
BITCHES

its time.....................
to GET my trade on

i need to know
what DEAL
to use... ........

shut thes spore up

22nd Hematite
And they left... When did that happen?

4th Malachite
We've got a mandate.

We'll... get right on that, then...

19th Malachite
We've built his crutches, and now he's banned the export of platinum.

Do we even have platinum? Anywhere?

27th Malachite
Moar migrants.

7th Galena
Um. We're down to 94 booze. I guess our supply was not sufficient after all.

13th Galena
And another vile force of darkness.

16th Galena
And they're gone too.

17th Galena
A human caravan has arrived. Guess we drove out the goblins just in time.

23rd Galena
Our armorer is taken by a mood whoamg

Autumn has come.

1st Limestone
We're down to 23 booze. We've got 93 dwarves.

Whichever fort is responsible for booze had better get its act together, real quick!

End-of-season report
Wealth: 768302☼ created, 107962☼ imported, 17293☼ exported
Orders: 1 mandate fulfilled. 1 trade ban in place.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:23 pm »

You need not worry about that. The fort in charge of booze is exploding in wealth this year.

I admit I ended up with a slow start, but my current status is more then making up lost ground. I just fear I might end up eating restrictions if the current trend continues.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »

3rd Limestone

Hm, I was hoping for something... useful.

Well, I guess I can wear it as a symbol of... something to do with how I'm Captain of the Guard.

14th Limestone
Always with the babies. Everyone told me about catsplosions and birdsplosions. Nobody said a damn thing about dwarfsplosions.

18th Limestone
More bloody migrants!

We've got enough!

Go away!

14th Sandstone
Well, I tried making an arena for our marksdwarves to practice in.

But apparently we suck at throwing guys in holes in the ground.

(also, we're officially out of booze. perhaps the two are related.)

17th Timber
The DFTA caravan and liaison have arrived.

Winter is upon you.

1st Moonstone
Ugh. Being sober sucks.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 982043☼ created, 116745☼ imported, 27933☼ exported
Orders: 1 trade ban in place.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15