Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23113 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:05 am »

Noting as Qloos has left the alliance, I have decided to take over the game, so we start again with new rules.

Game Summary
Players play fortress mode simultaneously.  Their actions are linked through self imposed restriction.  These restrictions are imposed based on events at other players fortresses and your own.  When one player has trouble, all players suddenly have a harder time trying to make ends meet. If you screw up, your dwarves are less willing to help you

Each player chooses a behavior restriction, 2 main item groups, and 7 item types  An item group would be something like "armor" an item type would be "Upper Body Armor"  A behavior restriction would be an action a player would not be able to perform in game, use your imagination These are the items that your fortress will be making. (You do not actually have to make these in your particular game)
Choices can not overlap. If you choose leather, you can not also choose leather armor for example. Your list must be validated before play.

These restrictions come in waves based upon how badly things are going for that player.
Wave 1: Three item types.
Wave 2: One Main item group, Five item types
Wave 3: Two Main item group, Seven item types, Behavior Restriction Activated

Main Item Groups

* Ammo
    * Animals
    * Armor
    * Bars
    * Blocks
    * Finished Goods
    * Meat
    * Fish
    * Plants & Seeds
    * Booze
    * Furniture
    * Gems & Decorations
    * Leather
    * Stone
    * Weapons
    * Wood
    * Cloth

Restriction Rules
Restriction waves are only imposed for the year after the conditions are met and expire once that year is finished.

When an Item has been added to the restricted list, it may no longer be produced or acquired through trade.  But may still be used if you have some in stock.

Economic:  Economic rules are based on the rate of economic growth season per season. A difference of growth between fortresses of 25% or more will begin to enact wave 1 restrictions, and increasing every 25%

If a fort has much faster growth then the others, how will the other forts be able to produce items for the stronger fort if it needs to buy more then sell.

Year one is exempt from Economic restrictions

Closed borders:  If your traders failed to make it to the depot (Resulting in no trade from that caravan), impose Wave +1 restrictions on all other players. You cant sell anything if the traders don't reach the depot.

Penalties:

If data is unavailable after first year, or for two consecutive months after the first caravan, wave 1 penalty will be imposed on the offending player for being disorganized. The other players will not be penalized for one of the others being disorganized.

Violation of production order: Immediate Wave 1 restrictions on offending player per violation.  Reduced by 1 waves per production orders that are met. (I am aware that you can not always meet a production order, but you must at least meet half of them in a year to avoid penalty)

Death Penalty: If your mayor or baron dies, impose wave one on that player. If your duke or count dies, Impose wave two. If your monarch dies, impose wave three. Keep your nobles alive.

Fortress has crumbled: Wave 3, permanently for each lost player

Restrictions are assessed at the end of the year.

Playing Schedule and Updates
Players will be required to give a seasonal in game update including:

* Total Fortress Wealth
    * How many production orders you failed to meet
    * How many caravans failed to reach the depot

Screen shots are recommended.

Each in game year will take 1 week.
Max 5 players.

This is still a game of !!SCIENCE!!. Lets make this a good one!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:15 am »

I am now a Player in this game

Main: Booze, Wood

Item types: Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth

Behavior restriction: Glassmaking forbidden.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:00 am »

Are players from the old DFTA still using their old forts and restrictions, or do we have to start over?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:43 am »

It is probably best to start over with the new rules, and let others have a chance in the game.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:08 am »

All right then.

... May as well ask again, mods or no mods?

Main: Meat, Fish
Types: Ice constructions, electrum, metal blocks, adamantine, raw glass, biscuits (easy meals), tallow.
Restriction: No use of modded creatures, buildings, reactions, materials, etc. No trading with modded civs, either. No helping moody dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:58:05 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

No mods. I never said we would use mods.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:57:04 pm »

I'll play!

Main:  Gems and Decorations, Furniture
Item Types:  Silver, Wood Bolts, Shields, Mugs, Turkey Meat, Cloaks, Ash
Restriction:  Cannot harvest resources from natural caverns (herbs, wood, webs, etc).

Questions though:
1)  When does the game start?
2)  Are we supposed to use a shared world, or are we generating our own worlds?
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

Yeah, well, some people have duct-taped a bunch of little things onto their game. Modding for the sake of modding. And in a multi-world effort like this, people might have issues knowing the other players have advantages.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »

Everyone uses their own fort cdr, and the game will start in a few days.

No mods that give any sort of an advantage.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »

This is very interesting, and I would like to sign up.

Main: Plants and Seeds, Bars

Item Types: Lavish Meals, Eggs, Chairs, Tables, Beds, Barrels, Picks

Restriction: No constructions, buildings, or anything of any importance may be placed on outdoor tiles. Only farms and food stockpiles may be placed on soil tiles.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:57 am »

If a fort has much faster growth then the others, how will the other forts be able to produce items for the stronger fort if it needs to buy more then sell.

What? Is that leftover from a copy/paste?

Closed borders:  If your traders failed to make it to the depot (Resulting in no trade from that caravan), impose Wave +1 restrictions on all other players. You cant sell anything if the traders don't reach the depot.

Shouldn't it go both ways? Without traders you can't buy anything from the other forts.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:59:05 am by Brisk »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:38 am »

So currently we have me, billybob, cdr, and potato. room for one more.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:26 pm »

I tend to work better with specific goals. 

We have restrictions based on people's actions, but do we have any goals?  Highest created fortress wealth perhaps?  That creates a balancing act between growing fast and keeping within range of other people's growth.

Speaking of which, should we set a "soft" goal each year for economic growth?  Looking at the last thread, people's wealth at the end of their first year varied from 24k to 67k, which is pretty big and is only likely to get bigger.  I think for the first year, people should try for 45k (about average of the above) as a year end goal.  They're free to deviate from that, but I think having a specific number each year helps to keep people within range of each other and gauge their output.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »

The general goal is simply surviving. Any other goal is up to you. You could keep pace with the others, or you can try to be the best in the face of crippling restrictions. The choice is really up to you.

I left year one exempt from restrictions so everyone could get a general idea of the pace of growth.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 04:22:48 am »

Players! Begin your forts!

The second Dwarven trade alliance game has started!

Do not forget to post seasonal updates to your fort. Story is not required, but always welcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15