Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23133 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 07:44:29 pm »

Don't tell Cook, but you can't actually use Golden Salve in cooking. Or anything, really.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »

Really?  Well dang...all this time I thought you can cook it. 

Oh well, I guess I'll unload it on the next caravan that comes through.

Playing through summer now and I just had a tragedy!  I lost a miner!
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

Oh man I'm so behind. Just finished year 1. I'll post it now. No problems in my fort so it doesn't matter that some of you are playing year 2 already.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »

You still need to post your list Johnny. As you didn't I had assumed you hadn't joined.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »

The dwarven trade guild "The Stones of Luster", led by Johnny Digs, has joined the Dwarf Trade Alliance! We are on our way to a suitable location and will begin exporting the following goods to all other fortresses in the trading alliance:

Main Item Groups:
Weapons
Armor

Item Types:
Rope Reed Fiber Cloth
Pig Iron Bars
Pig Tails
Yarn Thread
Gypsum Powder
Soap
Mechanisms

Restriction:
Can't Plant Traps

The trek across the surface world goes well thus far. I shall present a report once we reach our destination.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »

FIRST YEAR REPORT OF SCALDEDABBEYS

1st of Granite, Early Spring
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disaster! We are stuck in this sweltering jungle because of that cursed river! I was too overconfident. I thought it would be like all the other river crossings we faced on our journey, but I did not see them. The tigerfish! The crocodiles! This river is infested with them!

The wagon was already midway across the river and the horses were neck deep in the water, before I noticed them. When the horses saw the hungry (or should I say thirsty?) horde coming for us, they started panicking. I did my best to control them but they broke loose and I was tossed head first into the water.

I thought I was a goner. I can't swim. I flapped around in the water doing my best not to drown. The horde of crocs and tigerfish swarmed around us and ripped the wagon apart. The wagon bled then. It soaked the river in reddish brown blood. A poor dwarf ripped apart, I thought, before I passed out.

The next thing I knew I was lying on the mud and Barney, the brewer, was using his big fat greasy lips to blow air in my mouth. Ugh. I shoved him off as I coughed the water out of my lungs.

I looked around and saw all seven of us were still alive, even all the animals! "This is a miracle," I said, "but where did all the blood come? And what happened to all our supplies in the wagon? Especially the booze?" That's when it hit me, it wasn't blood in the water, it was our booze!

The others told me that during the chaos they managed to save only four barrels. I ran to and pulled the lid off each one. Meat. meat, meat, and meat. Not a single drop of liquor in any of them. Not even any seeds to start over. We're stuck in a scroching jungle with no wine, no ale, no rum, no nuthin...

3rd of Granite, Early Spring
I was busy throwing a tantrum for the last two days, but then Barney said he maybe could liquor up some wine from all the berries lying around. My spirits came back after hearing that. I ordered two dwarves to start collecting berries while the rest of tried to salvage what we could from the shore of the river. We found plenty of our wood and even some of our ores which we used to make picks and axes.

6th of Granite, Early Spring
There are packs elephants roaming around on the other side of the river.
I don't like the look in their eyes one bit. Better start digging out some sort of shelter before they figure out a way to get to us.

22nd of Granite, Early Spring
After many failed attempts, Barney finally brewed up something that didn't leave us puking all over the floor. I stuck my head in each barrel to verify exactly what we had: Strawberry wine, Prickle Berry Wine, River Spirits, and my personal favorite Longland Beer.

26th of Slate, Mid Spring
I knew they would find a way to cross that river. I knew it!
But they seem to leave us alone so we'll leave them alone.

23rd of Felsite, Late Spring
We finished digging a nice work area/living area.
We found tons of coal and ore digging this floor out. A bit cramped at the moment but it will do for now. Almost everything we have is inside. This place isn't so bad. Its scorching out there but here,inside, is nice and cool. As long as the wild life doesn't kill us we may do well for ourselves here.

1st of Hematite, Early Summer
Summer has arrived on the calendar.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 19,100?
Siege: No
Mandates: None
Population: 7
Deaths: 0
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. No trade caravans yet.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 09:47:36 pm »

FIRST YEAR REPORT OF SCALDEDABBEYS (cont..)

8th of Hematite, Early Summer
It seems theres no more crocs or tigerfish in the river anymore. We won't have to worry about them anymore.

18th Malachite, Mid Summer

Six migrants arrived today. I'll have them smelt ore and burn wood so our weapon/armorsmith can make gear for them. Those elephants sure are harmless. They ran away at the sight of our migrants. I think all those stories I read of blood thirsty elephants are as real as boogeymen. HA!

21st of Galena, Late Summer
We're putting the "fort" in our fortress by building us some walls on the surface. Also, were using the seeds left over from brewing to grow surface crops. I feel like a filthy human but we have no choice.

1st of Limestone, Early Fall
What a peaceful summer that was. Thanks to the natural resources found here we were able to make all this:
I'm starting to like this place.

Fall has arrived!

End-of-season report
Wealth: 86,800?
Population: 13
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. No trade caravans yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:13:42 pm by JohnnyDigs »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »

FIRST YEAR REPORT OF SCALDEDABBEYS (cont..)

16th of Limestone, Early Fall
You got to be kidding me. We weren't even bothering it!
It just charged right in and killed poor Pauly's pet duck. At least Pauly got his revenge.
We'll be eating badger meat tonight.

28th Limestone, Early Fall
Kittens and puppies everywhere! Into the cage they go. Oh and we got around to burying Pauly's pet duck, the least we could do.

7th Sandstone, Mid Fall
Nine more migrants arrived and I just remembered the caravan will be here soon. Better get to work on some stone mugs!

19th of Timber, Late Fall
The caravan and the trade liason have arrived. I asked the trade liason to bring us wood, ores, and metal goods in order to equip our future military. I still have to trade at the depot, but i'll do it after my month long brake. Oh yes.

Winter has arrived!

End-of-season report
Wealth: 232,701
Population: 22
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. Currently in use by dwarven caravan.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 10:11:20 pm »

FIRST YEAR REPORT OF SCALDEDABBEYS (...final)

22nd Moonstone, Early Winter
Those merchants weren't fooled. My dolomite mugs were barely enough to buy some leathers and a few metal items. I had to give up some gems and our badger meat to get more.

24th Moonstone, Early Winter
Merchants packed up and left. Woody reported he got stung by a bee while out cutting some wood. We all had a good laugh at him. I guess there's a colony of bees somewhere nearby.

6th of Opal, Mid Winter
Didn't even know anything happened until I walked into the dining room and saw a dwarf chowing down on a big slab of badger meat. I had traded all the meat to the merchants. Where did he get that?

Spring has arrived!

End-of-season report
Wealth: 246,104
Population: 22
Borders: Trade Depot accessible.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 09:17:59 am »

Steel!

I haven't had a fort able to make its own steel in ages.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »

Summer Report, from the journal of Carpenter.

After the elves left, I looked over our remaining stock of food and realized that we have a huge surplus here.  I think I better tell cook to slow things down.  If our food is as valuable as the elves think it is, then we might attract the notice of those that would wish to deprive us of our hard earned wealth, like thieves, or worse, nobles.

With that in mind, I need to organize an area where we can treat our wounded in case we come under attack.  I've set aside an area below the barracks and the main entrance (once it's completed).  I also set aside room for tombs below the hospital...you know, just in case.  Some made comments that having the tombs right next to the hospital as somewhat unnerving.  I just see it as practical.

5 Hematite 302
Ranger bagged a warthog today.  I just noticed that Hunter hasn't been hunting.  It seems like he's keeping himself busy with anything BUT hunting.  I hope everything is okay with him.

6 Malachite 302
Miner Avuztathur has asked if he could concentrate on mining a small vein of gems he found in the cavern area.  I gave him the go ahead.  At least he's no longer obsessing about adamantine.

13 Malachite 302
I got a report that the Panda we got in trade from the elves is refusing to eat anything.  It's trying to starve itself?  That's unacceptable!  I ordered Butcher to harvest it immediately.  Ranger later told me that Pandas only eat Bamboo and that it had eaten all that was in its pen and it should have been moved to another pen. 

I told Ranger to mind her own business and made a note of her attempt to make me look like a fool in front of the others.

20 Malachite 302
Cook finally got around to cooking that Elephant meat from a few months ago and produced something gargantuan.

27 Malachite 302
More migrants have arrived.  When I told them of our naming policy, one told me he wants to be known as a liar.  I told him that was unacceptable and our last liar is now called Hauler.  He then said perhaps he can be called Soldier, seeing as how he used to be in the militia back home, and only make lye on the side?  I'm fairly sure he was purposely trying to confuse me to make me look bad.  I need to keep an eye on this one. 

Another dwarf wanted to be called Soaper.  I told him we don't have any soap, so I'm not sure how he's going to soap anything (and I don't know why anyone would want to soap stuff in the first place, I mean wash something, sure...but just rub soap on things?).  He cleared his throat and said that he meant that he can make soap, and apologized for the confusion.

Another dwarf trying to make me look bad.  I smell a conspiracy here. 

Feeling irritated, I told him to man the furnaces.

Our numbers are up to 31 now.  I dismissed the rest of the migrants, no longer caring what they wanted to call themselves.

11 Galena 302
Tragedy occurred today.  Miner Avuztathur fell two floors to his death.  Last year, we dug out a section of tunnel so we would know how deep the channel for the ditch from above would go.  I guess we all forgot it was there, so when he was digging from above, the floor caved in below him and he fell.  The grief in the community was palpable.

It seems that the construction of the tombs was timely, and the Miners Three are now the Miners Two.

25 Galena 302
Some human traders have arrived.  I was a bit distracted by different matters, so other than a few iron anvils, I don't really recall what they traded us.  It seems they heard about our wondrous food from the elves, and wanted to sample some of our wares.  A few roasts bought most of what they had.

27 Galena 302
Treason!

Gem Cutter was talking about the variety of gems we've discovered in our home over lunch when I remembered that Miner Avuztathur was mining out a small pocket a few months ago.  I don't recall ever sending anybody down there to recover them.  So, since I had nothing else to do (we have a spare 20 beds in our stockpile now, and no need for any other wooden furniture), I decided to investigate myself.

I walked the walls of the cavern, until I found a small alcove that's been mined out.  I saw the red gems scattered all over the floor, either red spinels or red zircons.  Then I noticed a small opening to the side of the alcove, not readily visible from anyone just passing by.

I investigated and it led to a long, twisting passage.  Several small rooms were carved off from the main route, but it ended in a medium sized room.  There was a table and a bed that looked to have been used.  There were also some food and wine hidden among the boulders.

Miner Avuztathur has made himself a secret lair!  I don't know what he was planning, but I'm certain that whatever it is, it can't be good.  Why all the subterfuge from everyone? 

Wait, not everyone...just me.  He was plotting something against me!  I hope he rots in Armok's armpits!  How can he violate my trust like this!  And after all I've done for the people in this...

Wait.  People?  Could there have been others involved?  If there's one rotten plump helmet in a barrel, then why not two?  Or three? Or more?

I need to keep a careful eye out for any suspicious behavior.  I'm gonna pretend I haven't discovered this place and keep watch for anyone that spends time down here in the caverns.

I will be watching...

Year 2 End of Summer Report
1 human caravan traded with this season.
Created Wealth 460,481

Yikes!  I thought I was keeping careful track of my growth!  I was trying to end the year under 500,000k to be within 25% of billybobfred, but that stupid 44k roast put me way above my expected goal for summer.
     I was attempting a mini-fort containing all the mechanisms of the larger fort and was planning on locking up Miner Avuztathur in there as a hermit-challenge-within-a-regular-game sort of thing.  But he died due to a stupid mistake on my part (I had forgotten that I had already dug out the final bottom two layers of the ditch guarding the main fortress).
     Carpenter's descent into paranoia is going to be fun.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:25:51 pm by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »

Scaldedabbeys Year 2, Spring Report

16th of Granite, Early Spring
More badger meat, huzzah! Crazy badger charged straight at the militia, how conveniant.

14th of Slate, Mid Spring
Migrants! We are now 38. Time to reorganize everything. We also built a platform with a well over the river. Now we have a secure source of fish and water.

1st of Felsite, Late Spring
Henry Coal, one of the furnace operators, yelled, "That's it! You've been holding back my talents for far too long!" He grabbed some wood and silver bars and proceeded to kick our beloved smith, Molly Anvil, out of her forge. Now he's huddled over the anvil banging away. What the hell could he be making?

6th of Felsite, Late Spring
Henry Coal finished what he was working on. A useless crown, but look how it glimmers! I see now that Henry Coal indeed has some talent. Maybe I'll have him make something with all the gold nuggets lying around. 

20th of Felsite, Late Spring
Elven merchants have arrived. Apparently they're middlemen in the whole trade process within the DTA.

1st of Hematite, Early Summer
Summer has arrived. Trading with the elves went well. So did our efforts to reorganize the fort. We now have five work floors. Each floors leads to 16 rooms.

This is the "military floor". Wood is burned, ores are melted, and then pounded into armor and weapons. We also have here a tanner and leatherworks for leather gear, crafts shop for bone ammo, and soap processing workshops for uh soap.
This is the "furniture floor". We make all our furniture here....and those jeweler shops are to make our furniture shiny.
This is the "food floor". Our dining hall and food processing workshops are here. When you order it, we make your meal right in front of you!
This is the "trade floor". The trade depot is here. As well as our finished goods and textile industry. Those elves aren't supplying us with goods from the DTA for free. We had to pay them off with rope reed robes and stone mugs.
This is the old multipurpose workshop floor we first built. Its a hospital for now but I might turn it into something more exciting. A statue garden or a zoo to lounge around in? Or a prison to lock all my political enemies in?? Choices choices...

End-of-season report
Wealth: 322,872
Population: 38
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. Currently in use.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 03:36:57 pm »

Scaldedabbeys Year 2, Summer Report

All is well thus far in Scaldedabbeys! The elven merchants have left, satisfied with their payment of +>>*rope reed robes*<<+, to deliver our goods to the rest of the forts in the DTA. Later, new migrants boosted our numbers to 45.

While we were out trying to harvest the local bee population, we ran into some problems with the wild life:
Luckily no dwarf was hurt.

Currently we have some human traders in the trade depot. They too are middlemen in the DTA trading process like the elves, and will be dealt with similarly:

End-of-season report
Wealth: 367,635
Population: 45
Borders: Trade Depot accessible. Currently in use.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:53:49 pm by JohnnyDigs »

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:42 pm »

Second Summer Report for Salverope

The magma pump stack housing is nearing completion, an' work 'as begun on the power generators. The militia commander dropped his normal training schedule and created this:
Worth as much as it is, I am reluctant to sell it. No, this rope shall become part of the culture of Salverope.
(OOC: I burst out laughing when I saw the artifact. I predict the next artifact will somehow involve Golden Salve.)

Word came from the caverns that a beast of great power has awakened!
Luckily the caverns were promptly sealed. I've heard tales of great fortresses who have succumbed to the dreaded disease "Kitten Rot", an' I refuse to let it happen to this great fortress!
Humans came, we bought them out with gourmet meals, they left. Typical business at this point.

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2011, 07:08:45 pm »

Second Autumn Report of Salveropes

Migrants arrived mid-Autumn, bringing the fortress to 54 dwarfs. Towards the end of the season, a group of goblins sprung from ambush, and slaughtered a dwarven caravan! I will up military production as quickly as possible to avenge our fallen comrades. Other than that, a fairly ordinary season.

One caravan failed to reach the trade depot successfully.

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15