Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23120 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:24 am »

Economy is not evaluated in the first year for penalty. Reasoning is that it gives others a fair look at the others growth rates, and some forts have more pressing matters to tend to besides the economy in the first year.

Still, I agree, your growth is fairly insane. Just be ready to shoulder the burden of being a wealthy fort in year 3.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:38 am »

I can see two strategies ahead for me.

1)  Stop production of everything except the bare minimum to survive and hope that the rest catch up over the course of the next year.

2)  Go on full production mode and make spares of everything I might need in expectation of not being able to make or trade for them the following year.

At this point, I think #2 is looking to be the better option. 
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »

First Winter report of Salverope

The caravan left safely. We found yet another cavern system, and marble ta boot! Our metalworks are firin' up, currently churnin' out iron and coke, preparin' fer steel production. We've also begun constructin' a reservoir ta be filled with water from the caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.

(OOC) The year in review:
One of the better starts to a fort I've ever had, tbh. The metalworks are up, farm production is far greater than consumption, and I have a relatively small amount of dwarfs instead of the 30 high master potash makers I usually have by now.

0 out of 0 mandates fulfilled.
1 out of 1 caravans arrived and returned safely.

Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »

DTA End of year report

End of Year wealth

RTiger - Wealth: 16923☼

Billybobfred - Wealth: 35201☼

PotatoLord - Wealth: 67448☼

cdrcjsn - Wealth: 143542☼

All traders made it to Depot

No mandates have been given yet

No penalties this year

Economic restrictions are now enabled

End of report

RTiger - Chairman

Begin year two.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 04:45:40 pm »

1st Slate
It's been hard work cleaning up the metal storehouse. I haven't had any time to write anything.

But I have to make time today, because the spring migrants just arrived. I think these actually left the mountainhomes of their own accord.

What has Her Royal Bitchness been up to, I wonder?

4th Slate
Our stonecrafter has been acting awfully secretive lately... She just locked herself in the craft shop with three boulders and a stack of yak bones.

10th Slate

Ah. That's what she's been up to. It's worth 6000☼, but we won't be letting the caravans have this, oh no.

7th Felsite

Oh, is that what happened last night... that explains a lot. Like why my head hurts so much.

15th Felsite
Elven merchants are here to trade.

19th Felsite
They've got wood! Beds for everyone!

It is now summer.

1st Hematite
I think now is the time to get started on a proper military.

Also proper bedrooms.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 62238☼ created, 33089☼ imported. 1320☼ exported.
Orders: None yet.
Trading: 1 caravan arrived this season.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 06:02:29 pm »

17th Hematite
I've drafted a siege engineer and two soap makers to form our Elite Hammer Squad. They call themselves the Irons of Dreaming.

... Right, okay, that's so elfy that even the elves are repulsed by it. (jk jk guys you know they're only leaving cause they have to)

13th Malachite
Another stonecrafter has a brilliant idea. She too grabbed her stuff and got right on it.

17th Malachite
Our clothier has given birth to a beautiful baby girl! :D

18th Malachite

Another nice little number worth 6000☼.

2nd Galena
Moar migrants! A few of them get recruited, the rest get to do whatever. For now.

Oh, and there's a second squad, equipped with crossbows. They'll be known as the Untamed Hatchets.

14th Galena
A human caravan has arrived.

20th Galena
Come on, haulers, bring the mugs to the depot OHARMOKWAHTWASTHAT

I just saw a flash of red at the entrance. What the...

... Oh. Heh. Looks like the traps are in working order, then.

Autumn has come.

1st Limestone
Our military's all set up, though it could maybe stand to have a few more guys. We've got a spore-ton of food and booze.

Especially food.

All in all, we look to be in good shape for a while.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 152143☼ created, 43345☼ imported, 4010☼ exported
Orders: No mandates yet.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 08:04:55 pm »

3rd Limestone
Oh, this is too awesome.

They are sparring in the danger room.

16th Limestone
Bye, merchants! ... Did I remember to trade with them? ... yeah, I did, they had anvils.

22nd Sandstone
Been a boring month. Mostly just managing the new military and digging out bedrooms.

27th Sandstone
Moar migrants!

... Why are they throwing their stuff on the ground?

Ah, who cares. More soldiers for my army!

11th Timber
The DFTA caravan and liaison have returned. Yay, trading!

13th Timber
Huh? Oh, my bolt carver is taken by a mood...

20th Timber

(in previous artifact screenshots, i've been editing out the FPS counter. as you can see, i couldn't figure out how to do it this time. add photomanipulation to the list of things i suck at.)

21st Timber
From the liaison I requested the usual; steel and the components thereof, lye to make soap, all the booze and wood ever... In exchange I am to provide scepters, crutches, and rock toys, among other things.

Winter is upon you.

9th Moonstone
Eh? When did that happen? Oh well. It's not like it ever gets warm on a freaking glacier.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 259540☼ created, 55677☼ imported, 6580☼ exported.
Orders: Still no mandates.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »

13th Opal
Another birth! Yay!

Also, I've been expanding the foundry.

Yeah, I bought a few anvils from the caravan.

... They left, by the way. I usually record that, but I forgot this time. Huh.

3rd Obsidian
I think we should set up a second farm down by the foundry. Just so people will be hanging around there, mind you. (and reclaiming the cavern above will make a project for my military)

19th Obsidian
More snatchers showed up, but the traps minced them to a fine paste. (yes, minced to paste. this totally makes sense.)

One actually survived it, and limped off the map.

Spring has arrived!

1st Granite
Hm, maybe I should slow down my production... don't want to outstrip the other forts too hard, lest it harm trade relations.

End-of-year report
Wealth: 399981☼ created, 55245☼ imported, 14433☼ exported
Orders: No mandates. How long does that usually take, even?
Trading: No caravans arrived this season.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:22 am »

1 Granite

More working on general structure. Plans for a well on the lower ground are shaping up nicely, but I also want all valuable stone removed before we flood that chamber.

In addition, plans have been drawn up to create storage areas, bedrooms, an industry area, and the beginnings of a magma forge platform.

In other matters, I ordered the carpenter to make a few wooden axes. I have a few plans for the above forest.

Everyone is going to be busy this year. According to reports from the alliance, our fort is seriously lacking in wealth. We have just been far too busy with survival and construction to worry about wealth.

I want most, if not all of us enjoying the warmth of magma and hard stone by years end.

3rd Slate

Utterly insane number of migrants showed up today. I will need to find jobs for all of them.

18 Felcite

Elves have shown up to trade. Maybe they will have something worthwhile?

End of Season

Wealth 30829

4th Galena

This season has been Very slow, but we have been busy with work, I havent had much time to just sit down and write. There has been some very intensive work on the new well, but we are not quite ready to flood the cavern just yet. Down a bit lower, the magma platform has been dug out. We still need to put in the safety measures before making full use of that however.

Our number is now almost fifty, and though we have made strides in our wealth, I fear it still pales in comparison of the other forts in the alliance.

19 Galena

A weaver has been taken by mood. This might end badly.

End of Season

Even with several dwarves dedicated to building wealth, I don't seem to be gaining very fast. Currently, all 49 of my dwarves are kept busy most of the time, besides the children.

I was unable to get the map compressor to work, so here is a snapshot of my entire fortress as of 1 limestone in year 2, all 51 levels of it.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4185
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:15:26 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 03:31:40 am »

7 Limestone

The moody dwarf made a headscarf of silk, worth 2200

16 Sandstone

The well has finally been fully dug out and secured. Now working on tapping the above aquifer and praying the lower level doesnt flood.

1 Timber

Success! The lower basin has flooded successfully, as planned. Now to get these pumps working so we have drinkable water.

25 Timber

The caravan has showed. I traded for all the food and booze, spare barrels, and also picked up some bars, cloth, leather, and green glass, just in case.

The deep well basin has flooded completely, and as was planned. a 35 level high water tower for our use

End of Season

Wealth 59432

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 05:12:47 am »

Umm...do you actually have ZERO alcohol?

Your dwarves must be miserable being sober...and slow too (I think they slow down when they're sober).

Never mind.  Just read that you bought some from the elves.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:21:23 am by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 05:21:57 am »

11 Moonstone

Well, we got drinking water, but the reactor flooded. There is no way to turn it off now. Despite being fully underwater, the waterwheel is still turning, so I am not worried. On a secondary note, If I want to do more with this water, watch the pressure.

While digging out an area for the magma forges, which I expect to be running by the end of the year, we found tetrahedrite! Add copper to the list of metals we have!

15 Moonstone

Our plans for magma have hit a bit of a snag. No matter. We will find a way.

14 Opal

We have secured up a safe magma source, right above the magma flow, with guards against any unwelcome visitors.

13 Obsidian

The magma forges and smelters are in place, and we have started making use of some of this ore. Tin, Copper, Lead, Silver, Gold, Nickel. The only ores we don't have is iron and Zinc.

End of year

In all, not a bad year. Everyone is now deep underground, and most of the structure has been dug out. I still need more bedrooms, wells, rooms for the nobles, and I want to make a farm down here. All that is left right now at ground level is the dorm, the carpenter shops, the wood stockpile, the refuse/corpses pile, two farms, the butcher and tanner, and the Trade depot.

By the end of next year, on;y the refuse piles, the wood piles, and the carpenter should still be up here.

My economic growth has been fairly level, but I now have the glass and metal industries available to me.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 05:24:53 am »

Umm...do you actually have ZERO alcohol?

Your dwarves must be miserable being sober...and slow too (I think they slow down when they're sober).

Never mind.  Just read that you bought some from the elves.

Yes, I had zero alcohol, for a full year. And no, my dwarves were not at all unhappy. Any I bought from the caravan was quickly used.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

Second Spring Report of Salveropes

Armok damned Bugbats! They sneaked in through the caverns an' are a bloody annoyance! I ordered our military ta put an end to their shenanigans, and by Armok do those things bleed! I just wish they hadn't killed them in my bedroom, but at least they're dead. We've also struck magma, which fortunately isn't too deep ta pump ta the surface. We found adamantine as well, but I refuse ta mine a single hunk of it. I don't trust it; I've heard the legends. Then, a goblin pedophile snatcher showed up, an' promptly bolted out the front gates. I then ordered the metalsmiths and mechanics ta hurry up on the traps. Not three seconds went by, when another showed up, and ran for his life. I'm startin' ta think that these goblins aren't the brightest !!trees!! in the !!forest!!.

Speakin' of which, an Elven caravan has arrived. We traded several stacks of roast fer basically anything they had of value: much needed booze, some pansy above ground berries fer much needed booze, an' all of their cloth fer more bags fer more sugar fer more roasts.

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

2nd Year Spring Report, from the Journal of Carpenter

After the new year's celebrations, I took a moment to assess the status of our home.  As part of that assessment, I looked over the stock lists, job orders and agreements that I made over the course of the year.

It was then that I discovered the terrible mistake I had made last autumn.  The trade contracts I signed limits our production to within certain boundaries based on the economies of those in the alliance!  What have I done?  A quick calculation shows that our community of seventeen is already well ahead of the others in terms of production, so that means shortages on trade goods for sure.

I can only hope that stockpiling the items that are most likely to be limited will prevent any shortcomings in the future.

I'll keep this to myself however.  The morale of the common worker must be maintained.  What they don't know won't hurt them...hopefully.

11 Granite 302
Butcher finally finished processing those rhino carcasses that Hunter brought in late last year.  Cook is already making plans of how best to cook the rhino meat.  I think a battlefield scene of the last great goblin invasion of the mountainhome is a tad extreme though.  At least, I know I would feel weird eating dwarf shaped meat pastries of soldiers and war-boars.

15 Granite 302
I don't like the fact that the magma workshops are sitting idle.  I've decided to learn how to smelt metal and put Hunter in charge of learning how to make glass.

24 Granite 302
More migrants!  That brings our number up to 25 now.

We welcome Glassmaker, Ranger, Farmer, Leatherworker, Bowyer, Gem Setter, Hauler and Soldier/Chef.  The latter two are sorta odd.  When I asked Hauler what's her most notable skill, she told me it was Lying.  I asked her what she does for a living, and she replied "oh, I try not to do any work and live off of others."  For a lying, lazy dwarf, she's awfully upfront about it.  I told her to help out in the kitchen and help carry stuff around, hence the name hauler.  She just smiled and said, "if you say so."  Darn right I say so!

Soldier/Chef is another odd one.  I told him we already had a Soldier but he countered that a well defended outpost needs more than one soldier.  Makes sense I suppose.  He then told me that he likes to cook and can help out in the kitchen when he's off duty.  I guess he can do that.  I'll probably ask Soldier, the other one, to see if he also has any other skill he can put to use.  After all, we're not going to need to kill people all the time are we?

6 Slate 302
I've become aware of a little competition between Hunter and Ranger.  It turns out that Ranger is sneakier and a better shot than Hunter.  She also knows how to train and care for animals, unlike Hunter.  When I told them to go hunt something, they were practically pushing each other out of the way as they ran for the outside.

Hunter got the first shot at a Rhino, but Ranger was the first to kill one.

Their competitive streak is gonna get someone hurt...

14 Slate 302
Soldier/Chef got a strange look in his eyes as he was putting the final glaze on a rhino egg roast.  He quickly ran off, took over a craftsman's workshop and started working with some tunnel tube wood.  I've heard about this.  Apparently the spark of inspiration can occur in any dwarf to create a legendary artifact.  I've never seen it personally before and it's a bit frightening...

20 Slate 302
Tired, but pleased, Soldier/Chef showed off his creation.  It's a toy boat.  I've never seen one before.  A boat that is.  I thought it was an oddly shaped house until he told me otherwise.  I wonder where he got the idea for a boat?  Especially one that's armored?  He claims that he's gotten new insight into woodcrafting and will be able to make perfect wooden bolts for the army now.  Great I say. 

A bit later though, I found myself recalling the conversation and thought, "what army?..."

25 Slate 302
Ranger got an Elephant!  As soon as Hunter heard, he threw down his crossbow in disgust and said we can find him down below at the glassworks...

I saw the look of satisfaction fade from Ranger's eyes, and turn to...concern?  Perhaps this is going to be a turning point in their...I don't know what to call what they have.  Rivalry?  Relationship? 

28 Slate 302
It's been days and nobody thought to bring in the elephant?!?

7 Felsite 302
Hauler was assigned food hauling duties when I ordered the elephant carcass to be brought in.  It took her 8 days of hauling to bring it into the kitchen.  She then promptly fell asleep in the butcher's workshop.  I bet she's never had to work that hard before.  A sleeping dwarf on the floor of his work area didn't phase Butcher though.  He went to work on the elephant even though Hauler was underfoot.

17 Felsite 302
An elven caravan has come!  I didn't even know they lived nearby, and don't know how they heard about us, but we welcomed them all the same.  The trade depot is currently in the food prep area until we clear a lower section, so they saw what Chef was working on.  The battle monument built out of rhino meat, turkey eggs, cheese and more cheese really amazed the elves.  They say they've never seen the like and wanted to show it to their queen.  I saw Cook's eyes plead no, so I offered an absurd price of 17,000 urists in trade.  They accepted.  I was flabbergasted.  It wasn't even Cook's best work!  I'd give it two gems out of five at best.

They took all 159 pieces of it in exchange for their entire caravan (except for the elven clothing, which would just look ridiculous on a dwarf).  I even took their wooden weapons, useless as they are, to put into more weapon traps that the goblins can dodge.  Cook started complaining, but I pointed out that there were 4 units of Golden Salve that he can use in his cooking.  That seemed to calm him down a bit.  Apparently it's quite expensive and rare.

The rest of the summer passed uneventfully.

Year 2 Spring Report
1 out of 1 caravan traded with.
Created wealth 250,030.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:23:55 pm by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15