Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: New City planning, what are you excited for?  (Read 17771 times)

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New City planning, what are you excited for?
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:15 pm »

Storm sewers are in.
That is all.

Quote from: Main page
They should be entertaining adventure environments, especially if the people forget to grate off the outflow and critters get in from the river.

Sewer gators.  That is also all.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »

OH MY. First thing I'll do in the next version will be use a sewer system as my hideout and go out at night to murder people with socks and their children's limbs.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

I'm going to walk into a tavern, get into a barfight, and see how many skulls I break until guards carry me out.

I will then escape prison by strangling a guard through the bars and stealing his keys, and then I will take his weapon and kill any guard who sees me as I let out all the other criminals and start a gang.

Then we'll run multiple heists and criminal operations until I control many parts of the city.
Frustrated with my reign of crime, the civilians of the city will begin to protest. I will send some of my gangsters to make an example, which will start a riot.

Things will then get out of hand, with the city falling into anarchy and chaos, and the leader of the civilization will need to send in a force to deal with the rioting, but will fail because of being outnumbered. The city will end up as a huge slum of constant theft, prostitution, and murder.

And where will I be? Evading death somewhere in the sewers because I can't escape the city.

Anyone else have a feeling we're going to be able to play Assassin's Creed, DF style?
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2011, 09:52:04 pm »

No, I think it will be Adventure Mode DF with more complex cities.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2011, 10:52:57 pm »

Or possibly Telitubbies meets 90's slasher flicks.

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »

Best part for me: Killing the king/queen/duke/duchess/baroness/baron/lord/lady of a human civ no longer simply entails walking into a castle, killing them, and then fighting off a dozen soldiers and leaving. Now it is walking into a castle, killing them, fighting off 3 dozen soldiers, fighting off a hundred-odd peasants, and leaving. bonus points to the first person who slaughters the largest size city by chopping off the arms, legs, and heads of each citizen, piling them in the center of the castle, and doing the same for the soldiers and noble, except gouging the eyes out of the noble, chopping off each of its fingers and toes, then its hands and feet, then arms and legs, then nose, then ears, then head. THEN pile all of that on top of the other pile. BONUS Bonus points for hunting down and killing all the farm animals, and burning their corpses in a ring around the severed body parts of the inhabitants.
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 06:44:37 am »

I shall start playing for this update!

I'm going to see how many civilisations I can burn down in a set amount of time.

Or I could try luring an army of giants towards places.
Everybody!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 07:40:08 am »

Best part for me: Killing the king/queen/duke/duchess/baroness/baron/lord/lady of a human civ no longer simply entails walking into a castle, killing them, and then fighting off a dozen soldiers and leaving. Now it is walking into a castle, killing them, fighting off 3 dozen soldiers, fighting off a hundred-odd peasants, and leaving. bonus points to the first person who slaughters the largest size city by chopping off the arms, legs, and heads of each citizen, piling them in the center of the castle, and doing the same for the soldiers and noble, except gouging the eyes out of the noble, chopping off each of its fingers and toes, then its hands and feet, then arms and legs, then nose, then ears, then head. THEN pile all of that on top of the other pile. BONUS Bonus points for hunting down and killing all the farm animals, and burning their corpses in a ring around the severed body parts of the inhabitants.

Somebody's been watching too many slasher flicks...

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:03 am »

Or Teletubbies.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:42 am »

Or Teletubbies.
You mean these teletubbies?

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »

I'm surprised at how little emphasis theives guilds, gangs and criminal city underworlds are getting. 

I can't wait until I have a desperate, poverty-stricken rogue hiding under a pier on the wharf of a rival guild's territory, while a squad of city guards fan out and question the local populace for mention of the hooded figure who just beat and robbed a passing noble! 
I have a feeling it will never be so harsh that you can get caught in a poverty trap and have to use all your skills to eke out a desperate living against all odds, but maybe the peasant/hero/demigod thing will let that scalability exist...

This. Of course, with crime comes actual punishment and not "That demon, he stole a -donkey bone crown-! Assemble the guard, he's a threat to society!" I'm also looking forward to having legitimate adventurer bases, where you can stash your trophies and general loot. Quests within the city are also on the top of my list.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Sewers....with ratmen.....and undead dwarves......and secret troves of gold......
I also like the idea of catacombs. As you walk through the passageways, you'll see coffins, each one holding a living undead skeleton. Just imagine, Urist McAdventurer running in to the crowded street followed by bleach white bones....

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »

Procedurally generated crime networks and mafias sounds great, but that's probably waaay off; Toady hasn't even written about giving villagers purposes in life a la Morrowind. Given the current lack of updates, either Toady's doing some awesome stuff to astound us with upon release or storm drains are proving to be too much to handle. To save the surprise, I've gone with the most pessimistic inference: that the new cities will just be tons of peasants in featureless houses, only now arranged into cities that appear to have souls on top of drains where hopefully sewer beasts will be hiding to devour the unwary.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:52 am »

Procedurally generated crime networks and mafias sounds great, but that's probably waaay off; Toady hasn't even written about giving villagers purposes in life a la Morrowind. Given the current lack of updates, either Toady's doing some awesome stuff to astound us with upon release or storm drains are proving to be too much to handle. To save the surprise, I've gone with the most pessimistic inference: that the new cities will just be tons of peasants in featureless houses, only now arranged into cities that appear to have souls on top of drains where hopefully sewer beasts will be hiding to devour the unwary.
I wouldn't be so pessimistic: Zack said that they're going to attack the extra city features (such as markets) after they deal with catacombs and their musty denizens... If I understand correctly, markets will be a focal point of NPC interaction, with caravans from afar, local citizens and peasants from the suburbs coming in to buy/sell/get bitten in the eyelid by the adventurer.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

I've heard in the DF Talks and the devlogs(I think) that the villagers will move into different towns during this release but I'm not sure. Listen to the two most recent DF Talks and you'll know the deal for this release on peasant AI.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10