Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: New City planning, what are you excited for?  (Read 17776 times)

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New City planning, what are you excited for?
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:04 am »

I'm surprised at how little emphasis theives guilds, gangs and criminal city underworlds are getting. 

I can't wait until I have a desperate, poverty-stricken rogue hiding under a pier on the wharf of a rival guild's territory, while a squad of city guards fan out and question the local populace for mention of the hooded figure who just beat and robbed a passing noble! 
I have a feeling it will never be so harsh that you can get caught in a poverty trap and have to use all your skills to eke out a desperate living against all odds, but maybe the peasant/hero/demigod thing will let that scalability exist...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:34 am »

Honestly, I think being a broke-ass thief, stealing cheese to survive, would fit right nicely into the feel of Dwarf Fortress
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2011, 11:23:56 am »

Honestly, I think being a broke-ass thief, stealing cheese to survive, would fit right nicely into the feel of Dwarf Fortress

Steal roasts instead, not only are they delicious, but they would be worth more than half the city, if the city was made out of gold.
Blargh.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2011, 12:20:00 pm »

This will probably be a long off from mere city generation, but breaking fingers and skulls for the local criminal gangs sounds like a fun time. Also I want to see all the horrible beasts attacking or hunting in cities, being fought off by guards. Other adventures could pass through trying to hire/join you (depending on fame). The city shouldn't feel like a completely different play area to the outside world, a city in a savage evil region with tons of semi-megabeasts, goblins, bandits and night terrors nearby should be very different to one in a nicer place. The climate should have an effect on architecture too. When the cavaran arc advances I hope fortress mode can influence cities- some bleed their coffers dry fighting the dwarves, others establish whole new trades which quickly become the main activity of the city in order to keep up with dwarven demand (but if you are visiting the city the fort has no doubt fallen and so the city decays).

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »

I agree, it'd be great to visit a shop and ask about it, and them to say something like:

"Our main product is... sand bags. Last year, we exported 200 bags of sand to *The-something-of-somethingtotallyunrelated*, the Dwarf Fortress. It can be found in the south-east. Our business is prospering, thanks to *The-something-of-somethingtotallyunrelated*."
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »

Or alternatively,

"Our main product is... Cannon fodder. Last year, we exported 2,000 bags of meat to *The-something-of-somethingtotallyunrelated*, the Dwarf Fortress. It can be found in the south-east. Our business is prospering, though our population is declining, thanks to *The-something-of-somethingtotallyunrelated*
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:45 am »

As the great Toady said, cities are starting to be looked it. I don't see to much excitement going on, but the way he describes it seems amazing. What are you most excited for in the coming city-creation content?

I'd like for my adventurer to be able to go to the hospital in the city to get medical treatment. I'd liked to find an armorer and weaponsmith and request they make me specific armor and weapons for an agreed upon price. I liked to sell them ore I mined and have them use that to make my stuff. I'd like them to be able to improve their skills so I can give them lots of stuff to make to train them, and visit them later when they are more skilled and can make me better stuff.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

I'd like for my adventurer to be able to go to the hospital in the city to get medical treatment. I'd liked to find an armorer and weaponsmith and request they make me specific armor and weapons for an agreed upon price. I liked to sell them ore I mined and have them use that to make my stuff. I'd like them to be able to improve their skills so I can give them lots of stuff to make to train them, and visit them later when they are more skilled and can make me better stuff.
I'd only add master craftsmen who brand stuff with their name, or their workshop logo.
Imagine the bliss of finally putting together that extremely rare armor set, made by some legendary dwarven armorsmith Urist McTinker in the late Autumn of 75...

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

I'd only add master craftsmen who brand stuff with their name, or their workshop logo.
Imagine the bliss of finally putting together that extremely rare armor set, made by some legendary dwarven armorsmith Urist McTinker in the late Autumn of 75...

...and then dying from a lucky shot to the left third toe.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »

All i want is the option to embark in a city.

Dig down all the way to the magma sea...

And collapse the whole thing straight down to hell.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:11 pm »

Can't wait to play a roguish character and quest in the city. Huzzah!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:28 am »

Three things which do not require a lot of AI changes so I hope they appear (soon or not).

1) A possibility of "community workshops" (or maybe a job at a workshop).

This way we could stop making the "make a sword with your hands" reactions and make some more advanced reactions (like smelting, forging, alchemy and stuff).

2) An adventure mode healthcare. Hospitals where you can get sutures, splints and surgical operations.
Bathhouses for cleaning and hygiene would be nice too. Or just wells. Come on, towns need wells.

3) Taverns with adventurers which you can hire and bards who sing stories of the world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2011, 03:51:36 am »

The climate should have an effect on architecture too.

This would be amazing. Just think desert towns have large spacious openings with few walls (like pillar archways) as buildings to let the wing flow through to cool it. It would be difficult to steal or murder someone in such a house.

In cold climates the houses could have very think walls for insulation as well as a breeze way long corridor like entrance to kill off any wind before it gets to the door of the actual house. Due to the think insulating sound wouldn't escape and these would be great for murdering or interrogating people in.

Temperate climate houses could basically be like they are just add a few windows.

It would also be really cool if the terrain could effect weather a city spreads out or builds upwards.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:17 pm »

Replaying Jack the Ripper?

Free.

Replaying Jack the Ripper and somehow ending up becoming king?

Priceless.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

Storm sewers are in.
That is all.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10