Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The .19 Appreciation Thread  (Read 7053 times)

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: The .19 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 12:04:37 am »

It makes build an above ground fort amazingly easier and better. I already have walls and buildings spanning most of the map with interconnect roads. Also pasture bound guard dogs, for every building and entrance.  And the caverns look about as cool as it gets. I'm quite impressed. Haven't got bee-keeping, or pottery working yet.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 04:23:18 am »

Glass pots. (Yes, they work like barrels.)

This I totally have to try...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:52 am »

Sure why not. The ceramics and pottery are blowing my mind. especially the ability to turn clay into pots that can be used like barrels. no more preserving wood in my fortress.

As a ceramicist, this makes me very very happy. I am going to go start a fort that subsists entirely on pottery now.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2011, 05:07:17 am »

Maan I don't know where to start with the modding possibilities of the new stuff. Bees? Oh yeah. I'm modding me some killer bees.

And the sheer utility of the vanilla features added. Pastures? Awesome. SO useful. The complexity that can arise out of pastures? (angry animals. Cock-fights. Cat-isolation-centers) Mind-blowing.

I'm looking forward to the more caravan-ey caravan stuff. And animal feed independent of natural already-growing grass. (those poor, poor elephants)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:45 am »

I made an embark where the northern part of the map was covered in eyeballs and tentacles. Nothing I have ever seen was more awesome than that moment.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2011, 11:13:03 am »

Forgot how excited I was about hay, haha.  If I ever figure out Mead, I want to have a fort that is completely free of farming.  Hay from traders feeds livestock, and I butcher them for meat.  Mead for drink.  I've heard that Mead goes very very slowly though...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

I made an embark where the northern part of the map was covered in eyeballs and tentacles. Nothing I have ever seen was more awesome than that moment.

I'm kind of surprised hell isn't more like that....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:01 pm »

1. Buy about 50 rabbits on embark.
2. Give them the entire ground level as a grazing zone.
3. Watch them multiply to a few hundred in the first few years.
4. No goblin, nor kobald, can ever get close without being detected!

Warning: FPS may suffer.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:32 am »

Do rabbits give leather, by the by?  I haven't noticed anything but Rabbit Skulls coming in while butchering them...  They do level my butcher up quite quickly though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2011, 12:14:29 am »

Just the skulls. If they gave anyting useful, I would only take a cartful of rabbits on embark. They are 2 points each, so you can fit over 500 of them in there!

Oh, how I wish they gave food when butchered...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44:26 am »

1. Buy about 50 rabbits on embark.
2. Give them the entire ground level as a grazing zone.
3. Watch them multiply to a few hundred in the first few years.
4. No goblin, nor kobald, can ever get close without being detected!

Warning: FPS may suffer.

Why give them the entire surface as a zone?  I'd make them stay in a ring near the edge of the map, personally...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55:39 am »

Do you have any idea how much 50 breeding rabbits eat? I mean the initial amount consumes grass like nothing else, but then as they multiply it gets even worse! You wanna feed those rabbits, then need as much grass as you have.

VinWij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:17 am »

Pastures are nothing short of perfect. The tug-of-war is indeed a bit annoying, but I already solved that by making the butcher and the farmer's workshop inside the pasture. Not sure the animals appreciate there friends being butchered in front of their eyes, but it saves me some micro-management.

I haven't managed to collect honey succesfully. You need a jug, so I made a glazed jug for it, and a dwarf went to collect honey. Somehow, the jug wasn't used and the honeycomb lay next to the hive and was never stored or pressable in the press. After a year a raccoon stole it and ran off the map.

I did eventually make low-traffic zones around the hives, because the bees were stinging passing dwarves and cats. So cool!

The caverns look pretty cool too, but right when I wanted to explore my fortress was overrun by goblin ambushes. Guess I need to work a bit faster again to get weapons in time, but I was intrigued by all the new options!

I did really appreciate the ability to farm on soil underground, even though I had already built a irrigation-system when I discovered that. It's more realistic and really useful.

All in all, I love the new version, too bad I haven't got that much time to play it...

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2011, 05:53:11 am »

The Pastures are great. I've my sentries placed using the pastures and it doesnt require any restraints! Sweet!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2011, 05:56:01 am »

Do tilesets & Therapist yet work with the .19? Would like to give it a try.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6