Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The .19 Appreciation Thread  (Read 7061 times)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The .19 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

i haven't played .19 yet, so i cant say for sure, but the idea of pottery is just awesome
but grass in caverns? come on... really... i understand if it were to be moss, or something of the sort, but even that is a little bit of a stretch...
but the idea of pastures... @_@ there are no words...

also... this is a bit O/T but to the guys who linked to the cat herding, ant the LED sheep, i say that is gloriously epic FTW!!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 08:40:24 am »

Right now testing if building a farmers workshop inside a pasture with the milkables will stop causing the tug-of-war when you move a critter and another dwarf is like "BACK TO THE PASTURE YOU" ignoring the other dwarf doing his work.
Oooh, good thinking.  Let us know if it works.

I haven't played the new version much either, but my favourite thing so far has been putting my grazers in a pasture that was way too small and having them overgraze it back to clay.  Perhaps I'm easily amused.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 09:30:44 am »

I can farm on soil without flooding the place. I LOVE YOU .19!!!

I liked flooding. 

You still have to flood rock areas if you want to farm on them, so you'll be thrilled to know that you'll still need flooding if you're in an area devoid of soil or just want to grow stuff in an area with no soil.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 10:55:33 am »

I've heard a good glazed pot is worth about 10 barrels in storage capacity. I'll have to check for myself but some people have reported up to 5 pages of stuff in one pot at a time.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

I was one of the people saying "who cares about pottery," but I now will gladly eat my delicious, delicious words.

Anyway, I actually like the new version a lot. I hadn't really played DF enthusiastically for a few months, but .19 got me back into it. It's actually a challenge—I didn't realize animal crowding caused violence, so my grower died from chronic horse-hoof-through-the-skull syndrome about 10 min after embark. Lack of metals is making me actually worry a bit about fighting off the goblins.

I've been playing DF for about 3 years, but this is the first version where I feel remotely challenged. I like it.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »

I want a mod where you can toss in dozens of rocks and get 1-3 ores of your choosing.

If someone could make that (I'm hopeless when it comes to mods) I'd love them forever and ever and ever.

There already is such a mod out there.  It was on the modder's forum, somewhere, but it's probably on page 100 by now.  Search might find it, or you can ask them.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 04:07:39 pm »

moving animals works. i can now pit a goblin onto some spikes without him escaping :D
LOSING IS FUN!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 04:17:47 pm »

moving animals works. i can now pit a goblin onto some spikes without him escaping :D

For best results, I recommend at least a 6z drop before the spikes :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2011, 05:04:51 pm »

I'm enjoying the new pastures and grazing animals. It could use a few things ironed out, like having starving animals moving around outside the pasture if not fenced in. Fences would be cool too. Also, most of my dwarves have dabbling in dodging and armor user from dodging angry animal attacks when I forget to pasture a new grazer.

I haven't had any injured dwarves yet, but the animals do seem to inflict very minor injuries on each other, which is pretty cool.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »

Interesting thought: Bull fighting.

Trap a bull in a single spot, starve it a bit, get it really hostile; then send a dwarf or prisoner out to tame it forcibly, or slay it and have the butcher clean up and salvage the mess.

We can also do a 'run of the bulls' in a similar manner, except with a time limit/head start for dwarves or prisoners to head to safety (before throwing the lever to seal all the hatches/doors/floodgates or get trampled/torn apart by some angry bovines. Make sure to keep a tight enough path for them to run through.

It will definitely give more use to those stadiums/coliseums and city streets.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:17:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »

Pastures make me so happy. I've been trying to do the same thing with pits for so long (in order to keep livestock near milking and butchery stations, not for nonexistent-at-the-time grazing) only to have the bastards sneak through a door behind a dwarf. Which would've been okay if someone would have put them back in the pit automatically, but they didn't.

So, hooray for pastures!
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »

I just wish you could pasture pets, so that all my new military dwarves wouldn't immediately tantrum when Reg the gosling gets impaled on spikes three seconds after they arrive.

Admittedly, a legendary dining room fixed the problem, but still. It'd be nice if my dwarves could have pets that didn't die.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:33 pm »

I just wish you could pasture pets, so that all my new military dwarves wouldn't immediately tantrum when Reg the gosling gets impaled on spikes three seconds after they arrive.

Admittedly, a legendary dining room fixed the problem, but still. It'd be nice if my dwarves could have pets that didn't die.

It would be nice if pets would wait in the owner's room(s) most of the time and only wander occasionally (except for war/hunting animals).  Might make a good suggestion?  Hmm.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »

i haven't played .19 yet, so i cant say for sure, but the idea of pottery is just awesome
but grass in caverns? come on... really... i understand if it were to be moss, or something of the sort, but even that is a little bit of a stretch...
but the idea of pastures... @_@ there are no words...

also... this is a bit O/T but to the guys who linked to the cat herding, ant the LED sheep, i say that is gloriously epic FTW!!

I think the grass thing is just a bug and it will be fungus in the future.

Until then, grass == fuse, forbidden booze stockpile == explosive & magma == fire.  I think you know what must be done  :D

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

Glass pots. (Yes, they work like barrels.)
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6