Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The .19 Appreciation Thread  (Read 7051 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
The .19 Appreciation Thread
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »

I know there has been a bit of negativity lately, so this thread is a place to post all the cool things we appreciate about .19.  The Toady One has said that he's going to work on it to make sure that we can all have fun:

Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.  As people have mentioned, an over-abundance of metals will essentially remove that element of the economy (and warfare etc etc), but not everybody is going to be playing for those reasons.  Worlds with some variation in metal distribution will be the ones that receive the most attention over the long term, though.

Speaking for myself here, these are the things I like the most so far:

* Weaponized Grass - Sure, you could always burn it down, but now grass is *inside* too.  You can use grass as a fuse and even make anti-building-destroyer/FB traps that way.  Forbid a stockpile of booze.  Have the FB or building-destroyer destroy something that prevents magma from reaching the fuse.  Grass burns, ignites booze.  *BOOM*  !!FUN!!

* Nest Box Traps - Egg layers path to your nest boxes.  Egg layers include:  dragons, kobolds, cave crocks, cave swallow people, etc.  So much !!FUN!! waiting to be had!  It's even somewhat realistic, because wild animals sometimes do this IRL!

* Cat Herding - You can actually herd cats onto a pasture!  Cats might be useful for once, to keep them near your food stockpiles so they protect them from vermin without wandering all over the place.  Just beware their hypnosis.

* Dwarven Baby Hives - Okay, I still don't know if it's possible and I strongly suspect it's not going to work, but just the idea is hilarious.

* Furniture Bees - Bees are certainly industrious!  Thank you to all the people who sponsored them!

And I know there are several other things I can't think of right now that I left out.  What are you guys most excited about or appreciative of in .19?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The .19 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

I think I don't understand... all you like in the new version are exploits, bugs and modded features? Do you really like it?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »

I think I don't understand... all you like in the new version are exploits, bugs and modded features? Do you really like it?

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »

Yes -- There's more than one way to enjoy a game!  Think positive, please.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »

Eggs, if only they could be laid in the wild.  I have no idea how wild creatures survive without nest boxes, Darwin must by crying right now.  I'd like to harvest eggs from the field, perhaps even lucking out and finding a rare bird egg of some type and hatching it if it's still unrotten.  Needs some work, but amazing potential.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

Sure why not. The ceramics and pottery are blowing my mind. especially the ability to turn clay into pots that can be used like barrels. no more preserving wood in my fortress.

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:39:34 pm »

The site finding filter feature (say that 10 times fast) which displays all hits on the map. I also like the more vague representation of what's available (and would like it better as an option ;)).
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

THIS! IS! NOT! DWARF FORTRESS! /joke
Seriously,I'm old here.

Yes -- There's more than one way to enjoy a game!  Think positive, please.

It's ok to play as you like, but I don't think liking only what went wrong is a compliment to Toady.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »

I can farm on soil without flooding the place. I LOVE YOU .19!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:57 pm »

It's not what went wrong, in many cases, simply redefined purpose!  Grass is good for grazing, yes, but can be redefined into a makeshift bomb fuse!  This is DF at its core, taking the inert, safe grass and turning it into a bomb.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »

I know that sometime in the future (when I get time to hit DF again) I will create a fort with a large egg industry (wild and tame), designate one cook, give her the title "Masou Shoujo" and have her cook nothing but eggs until she's legendary.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 05:52:06 pm »

This is DF at its core, taking inert, safe grass, and turning it into a bomb.

sigged.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »

It's ok to play as you like, but I don't think liking only what went wrong is a compliment to Toady.

I did say that wasn't a complete list.  I think that the whole ceramics industry is cool.  I was reading that really long thread on the Suggestions board about it a long time ago and I'm amazed as to how much Toady managed to put into the game and how much it's based on historical practices.

In that vein (pun intended), it would be cool if bog iron got added to the game.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »

I think it's fun to create a tiny pasture with lots of beehives in it so all your grazing animals can get stung constantly.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:03:30 pm »

I think it's fun to create a tiny pasture with lots of beehives in it so all your grazing animals can get stung constantly.

I have an army of angry buffalo!  They are prodded with bumblebees all day and night, and are forced to eat cave fungus.  They are truly my fiercist warriors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6