Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526193 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: This is why we probe first.
« Reply #8835 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »

"Would you look at that. It seems that crime does not, in fact, pay. Perhaps we should get a move on," Toomas observes, then turns to the lady. "Deeply sorry about the circuit diagram. Got carried away. But you have gotten something out of the experience, at least. Enjoy your triumph."

Your voice gets Rob's attention, and he immediately starts cursing and wrestling his heavy pistol out of its holster while still seated. Surprisingly, however, he doesn't point the woman first, he points it at you. "She isn't dangerous, and we have a job. Stay in your goddamn chair or I will shoot bones until you fall there. Approve what I tell you to approve, and don't run scared because of one wounded woman." Rob's voice has switched back to being angry and ragged, his breathing uneven. [Intuition 16+1] Judging from behavior, sanity seems a fine line for him. "Approve the new power regulations, now."

You glance down at your screen. All power has been diverted from the life support sections, and every security point that Rob could access through his terminal has been powered down. The power he's diverting to surveillance is extremely high, enough that it will probably blow every circuit it has access to if Rob hasn't set up the allocations exactly right.   
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:27 am »

"Settle down. No need to get bent out of shape."

Quickly check if Rob's done his job right, if I can, as he seems to have gotten a bit hasty. If I can't due to Rob's rising impatience, well, approve it no matter what. What's the worst that could happen?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: June 16, 2014, 01:46:16 am »

((Shit. OK, a question about the linking stuff. If Tyrin or James initiates the link with me instead of the other way around, do I still take damage after the end of the link and while linked, can Tyrin use the copied knowledge? Can he also use my advanced Empathetics while linked?))
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:48:09 am by Zako »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:37 am »

((James has almost no empathetics, and what he does have is there basically to provide some thin level of defense or to contribute to advanced kinetics stuff, so he really couldn't initiate the link))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: June 16, 2014, 08:34:53 am »

((Shit. OK, a question about the linking stuff. If Tyrin or James initiates the link with me instead of the other way around, do I still take damage after the end of the link and while linked, can Tyrin use the copied knowledge? Can he also use my advanced Empathetics while linked?))

((Yes, you would still take damage. Stamina damage is determined by the amount of stamina used while in the link, divided by the number of people in the link, and it's applied to the stamina you started the link with.
 So, if Dick (70 stamina), Jane (80 Stamina), and Tommy (10 stamina) linked, they'd have 160 collective stamina points to throw around. If they spent 150 points of stamina while in the link, then each of them would take 50 points of stamina damage. Probably putting Tommy in a mini-coma.
   Also, if you don't initiate the link, there is a danger that you will drop out of the link simply from being exhausted.

If someone else controls the link, they'll get a portion of your skill, but not all of it. Roughly half of what you have, weighted by how many people are in the link.))

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: June 16, 2014, 07:39:00 pm »

((Sorry not feeling we;ll recently and ALSO still gettting used to this updating so frquently, I need to make checking this part of my morning coffee ritual or something))

Attempt to physically override the airlock
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: June 16, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »

Ashley Fey

Attempt to physically override the airlock

[Mechanics 11+1+1] You inspect the door carefully, looking for an easy way to override the airlock. There isn't one. There is a lever placed to allow one to disengage the entire boarding tube, in the event of a real emergency, but that would leave you drifting on a ship with malfunctioning shields and locked doors. Not your best option. You could also, probably, drill the door with your kit. Might work, but you've only got one shot.
   You could also attempt to interface directly with the door's electronics, though the unreliable power could make that quite dangerous. 

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk

"Settle down. No need to get bent out of shape."

Quickly check if Rob's done his job right, if I can, as he seems to have gotten a bit hasty. If I can't due to Rob's rising impatience, well, approve it no matter what. What's the worst that could happen?

[Systems Manipulation 4-1] You have literally no idea as to the specifics of what he's done. You can access the macroscopic power distribution profiles, but, in the sudden and unexpected pressure, you can't find a quick way to check Rob's work on the small (but critical important) features. For all you know, it could turn the chair you're sitting in into a very expensive firebomb. You pause for a moment, trying to see if you can get a little bit more time to make sure everything is in proper order. Rob cocks the pistol threateningly. You're strong enough to take being shot a couple times without any major ill effects, but that doesn't make it a good idea. You approve the changes.
    [Hidden Roll] Fortunately, nothing appears to explode immediately, and the security systems begin yet another reboot process.
  Rob's snarl takes on the edges of a smile, and he swings the pistol over to the wounded woman. She doesn't even try to run before he fires, putting a pair of flechette cartridges in the woman's stomach. She crumples with a soft cry, her abdomen torn to shreds.
   "Alright," Rob snarls at you, his pistol still pointed at the doorway, "all we need to do is wait for the reboot to finish, then transfer control to the military systems. Shouldn't be nothing to worry over."
    Ripples of light begin to flicker into the room, gradual waves of faint light coming from the doorway that the dying scientist is slumped in.  As you watch the light grow brighter, you have to wonder if Rob even realizes the double negative in his statement.

(2-5 rounds before the system reboots)

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom glanced over her shoulder, then drew her stun baton with her left hand, creeped forward, and whacked the living hell out of the punctured lump to see if anything would happen.

You move forward cautiously towards the lump, ready for it break pen and attack you, or for one of the other lumps to ambush you, or something else equally horrific and dangerous. You get within a pace of the wax mound without incident, and proceed to carefully adjust your grip on the stun baton. And then you whack the living hell out of the punctured lump.
   Chunks of wax cracks and breaks away, shockwaves of light bursting away from the blunt force trauma along with them.  When you've battered away about half the wax, you take a break and take a good look at what's underneath.
   It's a corpse, it's skin an unnatural ivory color that's threaded with massively swollen veins the color of a half-healed bruise. The veins look read to pop, but the body seems stable enough. Your dart took it in the neck, creating a thumb sized fluid blister in its skin. The clothes it wears are plain, a technician or minor assistant, not a soldier or a scientist. The body doesn't smell, at least, no more than the wax smells. [Medical 2] It's a corpse, and, judging by the blister you put in its neck, it ain't just playing. That's about as much of a diagnosis as you're capable of.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: June 16, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »

Dom waved the scientists over and stood. "What can you learn from this corpse?" she asked, putting away the baton.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: June 16, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »

Dom waved the scientists over and stood. "What can you learn from this corpse?" she asked, putting away the baton.

[Scientist Medicine 20+2+1] One of the whitecoats joins you immediately, poking cautiously at the corpse with gloved hands. She clears away more of the wax as she wrks, exposing the rest of the body. A few tools come out of the coat that you don't recognize, and she takes samples of tissue and drains one of the corpses eyeballs. She prods over his back, finding a thumb sized hole just under his left shoulder blade, and finishes by ramming another tool into the corpse's stomach and withdrawing a small amount of fluid. The entire process takes perhaps five minutes.
  The scientist consults her instruments for little bit, hooking various lines into an out of her Pad for analysis. "Cause of death is massive and catastrophic organ failure, likely due to the incredibly high concentration of wax in what's left of his bloodstream." The scientist begins suddenly, not looking up from her Pad as she speaks. "The wound in his shoulder is non-fatal, but the area around the wound is saturated with the toxin. Urea, potassium, and hypoxantine levels inside the Vitreous indicate that he's been dead for a considerable amount of time, but there's no major decomposition. Gut bacteria is a mixture of dead or dormant, and it never even began the stages of initial decay. The wax covering him must have retarded all other forms of rot and putrefaction. In essence, he's perfectly preserved, but appears to have died from massive and acute wax toxicity." The scientist inclines her head to you and folds her arms. "Will there be anything else, Harlequin?"
  Despite the fact that they're wearing sealed body armor, some of the soldiers shuffle uncomfortably. Standing in a hallway that's absolutely covered in a creepy as hell material that also, apparently, is capable of making really nasty corpses is enough to make anyone uncomfortable.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: June 16, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »

Dom shook her head. "No. We press on." She moved up to try the door ahead of them. If it was locked, it was time for the engineers to do their job.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: June 17, 2014, 03:14:11 am »

"Mm. Mind if I consume a bit of her?" Toomas says, glancing at the shot scientist lady.

If Rob doesn't mind, and we do have time, go and replenish myself from the dying lady a bit.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: June 17, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »

Attempt to Drill the door, if that fails then risk interfacing directly
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: June 17, 2014, 09:19:23 pm »

((Should I try to deal with Jeremiah?))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: June 18, 2014, 10:54:43 pm »

Use Energy Drain on the disintegration field and unleash the all energy on the technocrat in the form of a -2 blank that's focused on his Active Empathetics. Stay in cover as much as possible!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:59:29 am by Zako »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: June 19, 2014, 08:18:32 am »

((Resting to gain a stamina roll is a full turn action. I mean, disregarding how much rest you could actually get in 8-10 seconds, you certainly can't get any effective rest in 4-5 seconds.))
---
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 602