Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526207 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Are You Anything More Than A Murderer?
« Reply #8805 on: June 09, 2014, 05:12:54 pm »

((Well, considering that it's a combat turn, and therefore runs somewhere between 4 and 10 seconds, just one turn is pretty generous. There are weapons with the overcharge trait, but you're not carrying any of them.

EDIT: I've finally given up on reviving my laptop, which means my original maps are gone. Which was a bit of a niggle until I realized there was a new version of ASCII draw.

Holy fuck it's awesome.))
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:52:07 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: June 09, 2014, 09:56:52 pm »

Tyrin Laveros, Anna Witheld, James Evan

"So we put down our weapons and confirm the illusion of the technocrats actually having power and then die, or we fight and we die. That's a brilliant suggestion. I like that man's ego! It's like he's blaming us for the deaths of everyone else they killed!

"Bloody technocrats can't even aim correctly."

Fire with the Broadbeam.
Open up with a -2 Neural Feedback at +15 Stamina. Then open fire with the rifle!

Prepare the flechette gun on account of it being the heaviest weapon I have. If the Presbyter moves into the spot from which the Marshall intended to start the ambush (assuming he's not already there), try to peg him with it. If I get a warning that he's trying to do some massive psychic attack or he turns his back to me as he attacks others, try to peg him.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Feuer [mobility 18] squeezes out of the crack in the wall, preparing the heavy laser weapon and moving north along the outside of the west wall.
   Jeremiah leans out from the door, lending some support from the ground floor. [Quickshot] [Finesse 2 Vs Soak 11, Critical not confirmed] [Weapon Stability 14+1-3] The spray of slugs strikes the presbyter twice, each blow accompanied by the flare of the Technocrat's psionic shield. Jeremiah's rifle jams on the last slug, forcing him to duck back behind cover and work it free. (-40 to next initiative roll) (Presbyter Shield -1, -2, 10 absorbed) The Technocrat doesn't even flinch.
   Wigs takes his shot from the rubble as soon as Jeremiah gets out of the door, firing a pair of twinned pulses at the presbyter. [Marksman 16-1-1, 20-1-2+1] Both pairs strike, burning into the Technocrat's shield. (Presbyter Shield -6, -19, -2, -5. 20 points absorbed)
   Tyrin leans off the roof, trying to get a decent shot in with the ALR broadbeam. [Quickshot 21+2] The beam, unfocused though it may be, strikes down from above a second after Wigs' attack hits. (Presbyter Shield -10, 5 negated) It isn't nearly as effective as it would be if the beam had been calibrated, but it succeeds in keeping the Technocrat under fire from two directions.
   Hickie [mobility 6] tries to clamber up onto the roof, struggling to climb up the jagged section of fallen ceiling and carry the heavy rifle at the same time.
   Anna  reaches out with her mind to attack the Presbyter. There is a brief moment when the sheer raw power of his defenses is overwhelming, but Anna attacks anyway. She wouldn't be a member of the rebellion if she didn't have the will to fight hopeless battles. [Neural Feedback 9+1+1+1-1] [Control 10] (Stamina -20) (Presbyter Stamina -31) Anna strikes at the Presbyter's defenses, but, as far as she can tell, doesn't so much as dent them. A flicker of awareness stirs behind the Presbyter's mental armor, and the psionic barriers thicken as he diverts more of his attention to keeping them up. Which gives Anna an excellent opening to take the more direct tactic of physical violence. [Quickshot [Finesse 16 vs Soak 10, Critical confirmed!] [Finesse 12 vs Soak 20, critical not confirmed] Three rounds slam into the already distracted Presbyter. The first glances off his shield, but the second very nearly penetrates it. It gets within a handspan of his chest before he catches it in the shield, guiding it away from him with a spray of sparks and a squeal of metal. He's ready for the third round, and punts it into the earth with the others. (Presbyter Shield -6, -59, -9. 15 points absorbed)
   The presbyter shakes his head, looking at the marksman that came close to hurting him. "So be it. The words echo in the minds of the assembled unchained, carrying a dreadful finality. [Disintegrate 15+6-3-4-1] (-20 Stamina) A storm of psionic energy engulfs the roof of the of the building, striking the two gunners raining hell on him from above. [Acceleration beam 9+5-3-4] (-20 stamina) Even as the disintegration field blooms above him, the Presbyter points two fingers at the wall Jeremiah ducked behind. A tiny section of the wall, the size of a coin, goes from cold to white hot in a split second, then bursts into the building with the force of a thermal penetration round. Thankfully, it misses Jeremiah's head by a few scant inches.
   James [Mobility 20] wisely skirts around the disintegration storm before finding another piece of cover to shoot from around.  He sights the heavy launcher on the Presbyter, settling the targeting laser straight on the man's chest. The Dybbuk's safety clicks off as soon as the laser settles, and the trigger guard releases.

The disintegration storm rages around Tyrin and Anna both, [9, 22] but, by shear bad luck, Anna gets the worst of it. [3 projectiles hit Tyrin, 15 hit Anna] (Tyrin armor -7, -3, -4)  (Anna Armor -7,-3,-3,-8,-6,-3,-4,-4,-5,-4,-5,-3,-8,-4,-6. Anna HP -1, -2, -3) Anna's armor is almost completely stripped away by the maelstrom of unfocused energy, the plating burning away to keep her from getting ripped bloody.

Total Damage dealt to Presbyter's Shield: 134
Total Stamina Lost by Presbyter: 71

Spoiler: James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anna Withheld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map of ground level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map of roof (click to show/hide)
---

Toomas Amk

"Time we had best use optimally, unfortunately."

Cut open and fix. All or nothing. I assume that's a Mechanics roll, so utilize Enhance Attribute and bring up my Intelligence enough for a +5 bonus (81 points, presumably, which costs 30 HP, yes?).

Rob grunts and turns back to his console. "Just get it done."
   You focus on your task, getting out the welding kit and feeling over the wax covered metal, focusing on... something you're not sure of.  It's a very unusual sensation, becoming what you need to be. It's almost as if there's something else in your body, something that can understand what you're thinking and then interprets those thoughts biologically. The change isn't precisely something that you do, but it's something that you start. You focus, and you feel your mind begin to accelerate, the cool burn of hyperactive cells thrumming through your body. [Restructuring 1, bonus negated. Cost +30%]  (-35 HP)
   Everything is more intense in this state. Everything. Your mind is changing, becoming malleable, receptive, powerful. You can smell the wax in the air, a bitter, toxic smell mixed with the blood of the researcher you cut. You can hear Rob's breathing, irregular and strangely ragged. The wax covered metal under your fingers is alive with sensation, the subtle changes in the wax's luminosity and color as you touch it, the faintly cold feeling of it killing the outermost skin cells on contact... This is a dangerous state to hold. The benefits of it are great, but they are tempting to hold onto. The only consolation, twisted as it is, is that you won't be able to grasp the immensity of what you've lost after you let it go.
   [Mechanics 6+5+1, 6+5+1, 16+5+1, 20+5+1. Luck 13. 86/70] It takes you a few minutes to warm to the process, but, after you get the cut the cover off, everything falls together.  The entirety of the inside is encased in wax, the close knit pattern of surfaces allowing the residue to flow together and fill the voids inside the electronics bank. That would have been a severe hindrance under normal circumstances, but not to your augmented mind. This is what you were made to work with: The pattern of circuitry and parts, binding together and springing apart again, elegant tapestries based solely on the rules of nature. You damage a few circuits in the cutting process, but you patch them back together almost as quickly as you severed them. Locating the mechanical security, you clean it and set it in place rapidly. Simplicity itself.
   The console behind you flashes green, and Rob gives you thumbs up and an appreciative grunt. "Alright, you've proven you're good. Now get back over there and let's finish this job."

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Fennec nods. "Good. Break up into your teams, and get moving."
   The soldiers, even if some of them might be having morality issues, are well trained. Your squad ends up with six infantrymen, a pair of engineers, a pair of scientists, and Taiya. You're not entirely sure why she's with you, considering the Arbiter's steadfast desire for her safety.
   For the first part, the Arbiter leads. Everyone leaves the dock after the ships get locked up. The entire group of twenty-four pauses briefly outside the destroyed blast door while the Arbiter's team heaves it back into place, spot welding it to keep it from budging. If anything comes back this way, they'll have to cut back through those welds. Not time consuming with the right equipment, but hopefully enough to prevent any nasty surprises from getting into the docks while everyone else is out on search and rescue.
   After the door is sealed, everyone heads back to where you killed the first test subject. Interestingly, there's now a thick coating of the waxy substance on the gooey bones that he left after dying. The Arbiter breaches the door at the far end of the hall, leading everyone out into a large set of hallways, shaped like a large hollow diamond with a smaller, solid, diamond in the center. Everything is coated in the wax, and the collective movement of the remaining soldiers sends ripples of light across every surface.
   "This is where we split up," Fennec says calmly, locking the dart launcher to the underside of his rifle. "Left fork is mine, right fork is the Harlequin's. The center diamond holds the elevators, but there isn't enough juice to get those things going, so stick to the path outlined. Move out."

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)
---

Ashley Fey

Well then, check for a route back on the inside, don't feel like getting fried, if there is no route, might have to do this the hard way

[Intuition 11+1] Well, if you were back inside the ship, you could theoretically sabotage the shield core and then do the space jump. Granted, that would leave the ship vulnerable to debris, but the odds of significant debris hitting the ship in the time it takes you to get in and out is several thousand-to-one against.
   Of course, you could also try this the simple way and just bluff your way past any dock guards that got left behind. Or join with Harry in a two-pronged attack and just kill everyone who they left.

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:55 pm »

Dom immediately took point, keeping her shotgun up and ready and attaching the needle launcher to it, and advanced forward cautiously.

(Alonso and Basilio are with me, right? If so Alonso will stay beside Dom and Basilio will cover Taiya.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:56:42 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:21 am »

"Move Tyrin!" Anna shouted as she ran for a new set of cover. She had an idea, but could only hope that she could get through his shield while the others were shooting to distract him...

Dash for a new piece of cover, dragging Tyrin if he can't get out of the cloud with me. Then once in a new spot of cover, use Energy Drain on the disintegration field and unleash the power on the target in the form of a -1 Mirror Mind to copy his A. Empathetics skill with the entirety of the gained energy (minimum 3 turns length of effect, supply the extra energy if needed). Only attack when he's distracted from maintaining the shield from incoming fire, in order to maximise success.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:29:37 am by Zako »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: June 10, 2014, 04:05:12 am »

"The sooner the better, obviously."

Allow my brain to decrease in size and get to work as directed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: June 10, 2014, 07:51:44 am »

(Alonso and Basilio are with me, right? If so Alonso will stay beside Dom and Basilio will cover Taiya.)

((Yeah. They're on the map, but I have no idea why your map is so small. I'll try and fix it next time around.  Just to make sure you know, the needle launcher can be added as an attachment to a gun. You can use it independently, but it's designed to be clamped to a weapon.))

"Move Tyrin!" Anna shouted as she ran for a new set of cover. She had an idea, but could only hope that she could get through his shield while the others were shooting to distract him...

Dash for a new piece of cover, dragging Tyrin if he can't get out of the cloud with me. Then once in a new spot of cover, use Energy Drain on the disintegration field with a -2 brake and unleash the power on the target in the form of a -1 Mirror Mind to copy his A. Empathetics skill with the entirety of the gained energy (minimum 3 turns length of effect, supply the extra energy if needed). Only attack when he's distracted from maintaining the shield from incoming fire, in order to maximise success.

((You really don't need brakes. 20 stamina was the energy put in, so 20 stamina is the max energy you can get out. Unless you roll spectacularly well, in which case you can take some ambient too. Your threshold is 27, so it would be difficult (bordering on impossible) to overload yourself.))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:57:23 am by Draignean »
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: June 10, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »

Agreeing in thought, Tyrin decides to change position and calibrate the broadbeam--manually going for a steadier stream instead of a pulsed fire in any possibility he gets to move from his location.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: June 10, 2014, 04:58:49 pm »

James grimaced a little. One of the two new allies of his was almost ripped to shreds, but... Well, James needed to help.
Flechette: apply directly to the presbyter.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: June 10, 2014, 06:48:45 pm »

Agreeing in thought, Tyrin decides to change position and calibrate the broadbeam--manually going for a steadier stream instead of a pulsed fire in any possibility he gets to move from his location.

((Note, what I was referring to in the turn was the fact that you aren't aimed in. The ALR broadbeam, as designed by Sizier, is basically a laser shotgun with a series of mirrors based around a laser rangefinder to determine a focal point. When not given a sufficiently stable target (Not aimed in), the mirrors have trouble compensating, and damage will fall. Aim in and the damage will rise.

Modifying it to fire beams instead of pulses would be difficult, pretty much as difficult as designing the original weapon pattern. You can't make the changes and GTFO at the same time.))
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:41 pm »

((Note, what I was referring to in the turn was the fact that you aren't aimed in. The ALR broadbeam, as designed by Sizier, is basically a laser shotgun with a series of mirrors based around a laser rangefinder to determine a focal point. When not given a sufficiently stable target (Not aimed in), the mirrors have trouble compensating, and damage will fall. Aim in and the damage will rise.

Modifying it to fire beams instead of pulses would be difficult, pretty much as difficult as designing the original weapon pattern. You can't make the changes and GTFO at the same time.))
Edit action to Go and aim, then?
Sorry for that ._.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:29:45 am by Tiruin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:55 am »

((Oh ok. I didn't realise that... I'll edit my action now. Thanks!))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: This is why we probe first.
« Reply #8816 on: June 11, 2014, 08:26:06 am »

Tyrin, Anna, James

Dash for a new piece of cover, dragging Tyrin if he can't get out of the cloud with me. Then once in a new spot of cover, use Energy Drain on the disintegration field with a -2 brake and unleash the power on the target in the form of a -1 Mirror Mind to copy his A. Empathetics skill with the entirety of the gained energy (minimum 3 turns length of effect, supply the extra energy if needed). Only attack when he's distracted from maintaining the shield from incoming fire, in order to maximise success.
James grimaced a little. One of the two new allies of his was almost ripped to shreds, but... Well, James needed to help.
Flechette: apply directly to the presbyter.
Go and aim, then?

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

James takes his shot as soon as the Dybbuk is locked. [Marksman 14-1] The launcher fires with a heavy thump, firing the guided canister straight at the Presbyter. At this range, the maneuvering fins and laser-rider aren't a big help, but they don't need to be. The canister flash detonates the bulk of its fuel directly in front of the presbyter, spraying him with heavy shards of razor sharp metal. Multiple flares score along the Presbyters shield, veering reluctantly away into the burnt ground. (Presbyter Shield -0, -9, -7, -14, -8. 24 Absorbed) It serves, if nothing else, to put some of the Presbyter's attention on James.
    The presbyter extends his will towards Anna as she flees the field [Forced Link 2-1-1+6-4] (-15 Stamina), but the offhand attack is completely rebuffed by the rebel's own psychic shield. Uncaring of the slight failure, the presbyter repositions the hand that pointed at Jeremiah to point at James. [Acceleration Beam 12+6-1-1-4] (-20 Stamina) [James I.S 7, activated] [James Passive Kinetics 18+2-2, 90 point shield] A tiny burning light forms in the air, directly in front James' chest. He doesn't even have time to flinch before the burning light bursts inwards.  (James Kinetic Shield -18. Armor Shield -10. Armor -4. 1 Negated. HP -31) The burst burrows into James' gut, driving through the instinctual kinetic barrier, his own natural psionic shielding, and his armor, before burning out of his back. James keeps his feet for a few seconds, looking rather surprised at the hole in his stomach, then crumples to his knees. (James is dying)
    Tyrin [mobility 3] blunders in the storm of energy, his keen psionic senses far more hindrance than help in the maelstrom. Disoriented, he fails to escape the disintegration field, and barely avoids falling of the edge of the building.
    The Marshal [Mobility 17] rounds the corner of the building, finally getting a line of sight on the presbyter. Making every effort to avoid drawing attention to himself, locks the laser cannon to his shoulder and pulls the trigger. Nothing happens immediately, but the weapon begins to hum as it charges up.
    Anna [Strength 7] barely manages to get a tenuous grasp on Tyrin's jumpsuit before hauling ass out of the field, [Mobility (15+3)/2 = 9-2+1] barely managing to drag bother herself and Tyrin past the edge of the field. She scrambles up into a crouch as soon as she's out, attempting to drain away the storm's energy even as she regains her footing. [Energy Drain 5+1+1] (+7 Stamina) The storm shrinks slightly as Anna peels off a layer of its energy for herself, molding the stolen power into a more subtle psionic manipulation. She twists the energy, trying to do with subtlety what she failed to do with synaptic brawn.  [Mirror Mind 16+1+1+1-1] [Control 18+1, cost -25%]  (-58 Stamina) The shock of penetrating the presbyter's defenses is sudden, and more crushing than the Technocrat's psychic voice. (+25 A.Empathetics, 4 turn duration ) There's decades and decades of information there, instincts, training, and sections of strange memory that almost have to be due to using another time dilation machine similar to the orientation device. Shooting pain, flowed by a strange absence of sensation fills Anna's extremities as the bundle of psychic information settles in her mind. She's overdrawn herself, and it's mental discipline alone that keeps her body from collapsing further. (HP -10) [Stamina 20, remains consciousness] The knowledge she stole is a weapon, but it's a weapon that she shouldn't even be able to lift. Darkness swims at the edges of Anna's vision, and she can barely maintain her crouch. Using this amount of energy could burn her out and leave her mind completely broken, but the price for accepting oblivion is equally high while the Presbyter is still on the atack.
   Hickie [Mobility 11] finishes climbing up the collapsed ceiling, staying low on the roof to avoid the Presbyter's eyes. If he can just get the Ichneumon in place... [Observation 18] Hickie stops planning the instant he sees James' crumpled almost-corpse. He sprints over to kneel beside the fallen man, careless of the fact that the action allows the Presbyter to see him, and begins attempting to render medical aid. [Medical 7+1, 13+1, 22+1, 17+1. Luck 9. 72/76] He works fast, injecting James with a chemical cocktail that, while not physically conducive to healing, will keep him from dying until the body can repair itself. Treating the wound is more difficult, considering burned nature of the injury, the location, and the fact that's it's one wound among dozens. Hickie does his best, and it's enough to bring James to semi-consciousness, but not enough to get him on his feet yet.
   Wigs keeps pulling the trigger down, calmly pacing his shots. [Marksman 1, bonus negated] [Weapon stability 20] The power hungry weapon glitches on the first shot, on the charge indicator plunges, but Wigs just pulls the trigger again. [Marksman 19-1-2+1+2] This time the weapons fires, and the binary bolt strikes the Technocrat's shield, bringing the man's attention back down to the ground floor. (Presbyter Shield -12, -9. 10 Absorbed)
   Jeremiah leans back out from that doorway as soon as he clears his jam, immediately trying to put another burst in the Presbyter. [Quickshot] Every single round of the hasty barrage misses the Presbyter. Every. Single. One.

(James is stable, but can't act physically, while being healed)
(Anna and Tyrin no longer have a LOS with he presbyter)

Spoiler: James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anna Withheld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map of ground level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map of roof (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:33:16 am by Draignean »
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:47 am »

Travel towards Harry while asking him how many possible hostiles are left near the dock
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: June 12, 2014, 02:42:32 am »

((Holy shit...

Well... I may have just screwed myself over here... Shit. I completely forgot about probing first. Now I got all this power, but no stamina to use it...

Any suggestions as to what I can do here? And does energy drain key off of A. Empathetics?))

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: June 12, 2014, 03:03:27 am »

Lie there and ponder the folly of attacking the presbyter when already slashed up by a Wight.
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 602