Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364608 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1560 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »

CNN said that when Mubarak announced he was stepping down the Muslim Brotherhood was one of the parties that he negotiated with.

Yeah.  One of dozens.  It's a question of scale dude, and the Muslim Brotherhood, while certainly a dangerous element to be keep under close watch, is both pretty minuscule in most countries, and engaged in a lot more activities other than frothing at the mouth.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »

I guess that, to me, it's similar to how a US presidential candidate might talk to fundamentalist religious groups and perhaps even get their support.  Yeah it's a little more extreme in this case, but...you can't pretend they aren't there, but it doesn't mean you're owned by them at all.  Hell you can be opposed to them in all your viewpoints and still negotiate to find some compromises, reach an understanding, and prevent open hostilities.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

Well, many of the protests have been decidedly anti-semitic, in any case.

Also, Qadaffi forces retake Zawiyah.  Not really anything new, since we saw it coming.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

Links:
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/02/2011223113653846953.html
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-turn/2011/03/will_muslim_brotherhood_contro.html

Aqizzar is right, but they are also determined to regain the Holy Land, so much so that Israel straight out endorsed Mubarak. I don't have a link for that one though.

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »

Well, many of the protests have been decidedly anti-semitic, in any case.

So are some of the groups who support presidential candidates in the USA, too, just for the record.

I remain hopeful for sanity.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:45 pm »

I think the Muslim Brotherhood recognizes that the whole region is going to implode and they don't want to be responsible for countries descending into ruin.

Basically they don't want to try to catch a falling knife.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 11, 2011, 07:12:11 pm »

Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt that pro-democratic protestors who have successfully overthrown their dictators are suddenly going to turn around and say: "Well, time to let the Muslim Brotherhood institute another repressive autocratic regime, except even worse this time around! Good revolution everyone, now go home and forget about why we did this in the first place."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »

Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt that pro-democratic protestors who have successfully overthrown their dictators are suddenly going to turn around and say: "Well, time to let the Muslim Brotherhood institute another repressive autocratic regime, except even worse this time around! Good revolution everyone, now go home and forget about why we did this in the first place."

What percent of the protesters are pro-democratic?  How many of them are just ordinary folk that barely have enough food to survive?  I'm still inclined to think that this is very likely to end up like the Russian Revolution back in 1917.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »

I remain hopeful for sanity.

...You have noticed the world lately, right?

What percent of the protesters are pro-democratic?  How many of them are just ordinary folk that barely have enough food to survive?  I'm still inclined to think that this is very likely to end up like the Russian Revolution back in 1917.

Most likely this will turn out true. How many revolutions achieved their actual goals?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »

Yeah I keep going around in circles and bringing that up every few days or so.  Lol.  I'll stop I promise.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »

You mangled your quotes there, Zrk2.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:33 pm »

Yeah I stared at that for a bit while trying to remember when I wrote that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1572 on: March 11, 2011, 08:16:04 pm »

All these uprisings are being supported by the Muslim Brotherhood, correct?

If they are I feel bad for Israel.

What?

There was some talk at the beginning that they where marginally involved in working with a subset of a portion of the Egyptian protesters. There's some muslim involvement in general, but that's always true with middle eastern politics.

Note that Israel has it's own internal stresses and has seen the same kind of unrest as many other countries, and not just from muslim citizens, but the dissatisfied middle classes that have little representation in the theological government.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 11, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »

I don't know if it's been linked here in a while, but there was a link to the Atlantic photo-archive in the Japan thread.

Pictures of the Libyan civil war from this week, some of them from yesterday or so.  30/31/32 are fucking haunting, and the whole thing really shows what a wild and anarchic fight it is.  Both sides of the conflict appear to be little more than very well-armed mobs of angry people, but it's hard to get a good picture of the pro-government forces.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1574 on: March 11, 2011, 09:54:19 pm »

I don't know if it's been linked here in a while, but there was a link to the Atlantic photo-archive in the Japan thread.

Pictures of the Libyan civil war from this week, some of them from yesterday or so.  30/31/32 are fucking haunting, and the whole thing really shows what a wild and anarchic fight it is.  Both sides of the conflict appear to be little more than very well-armed mobs of angry people, but it's hard to get a good picture of the pro-government forces.

It is kinda hard to get a picture of genocidal soldiers with orders to shoot everyone, especially people with cameras.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 416