Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364343 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1590 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »

It's so nice of the Arab League to invite us in to solve their problems...

You just don't get it do you? We wanted to go and help, but felt to do so without an invitation to do so would be seen in the same light as the War in Iraq, or other acts of aggression in the past. The United States in particular has been signaling to the Arab League to issue such an invitation for some time now, in order to avoid uncomfortable accusations of aggression from other Arab states.
!!&!!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 12, 2011, 06:07:35 pm »

Well, the impression I have is that the US doesn't really want to go at all, and was looking for excuse not to do anything. Now that the Arab Leagues gave its approval, I wouldn't be surprised if the US decided to wait for the African Union or the UN.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 12, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

I wonder if the USAF is dying to try out those F-22's?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 12, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »

Well, the impression I have is that the US doesn't really want to go at all, and was looking for excuse not to do anything. Now that the Arab Leagues gave its approval, I wouldn't be surprised if the US decided to wait for the African Union or the UN.

The African Union's voice, with Congo as a member, carries as much weight as Qadaffis in this regard.

Upon that, it's always been fairly well understood that the UN will never approve of this. Russia and China, as Security Council members, are more than happy to block any action at all, under any circumstances.
!!&!!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:10 am »

France and Britain just want to attack. Their public opinion would probably follow them this time and their leaders are desperately in need for approval.

EDIT : yup, France is really pushing for a least a no flight zone. Mostly because Sarkozy doesn't stand a chance in the upcoming election if he doesn't get his reputation of strong and dynamic leader back.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:45:28 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 13, 2011, 10:57:31 am »

And he really need to better his reputation after offering help to Ben Ali.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 13, 2011, 04:20:26 pm »

http://www.ennaharonline.com/en/international/6017.html

Seems more and more journalists are sick of being tools to the state, and the state is fighting back.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 13, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »

Some food for thought from an article I read today:

Notice how the press (particularily the European press) is putting a lot of emphasis on the North African revolts, and how they want to be "like Europe", yet is keeping a sepulchral silence on the Iceland one, in which two goverments have been deposed, several important politicians are getting tried, and responsabilities are being demanded from the major financial players in the crisis?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 13, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Probably because Iceland aren't revolting against dictators?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:25 pm »

Maybe. But more likely because the Iceland revolts hit too close to home.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 13, 2011, 05:43:53 pm »

Totally.  Newspapers totally don't call for the same thing to happen to our governments all the time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 13, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »

Actually, many don't. At least here. And there's a difference between being worried with the crisis and demanding the heads of all involved on a plate.

Also, you disregard too casually the informative silence about a major political upheaval in an EU applicant, I think. IMO this is at least par to the events in Africa.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:30 am »

After the events of the past couple of days in Libya, I'm just utterly disgusted with the entire international system. I've always been a defender of the UN, and I still think it does useful work in the arenas of development and humanitarian work. But as a security framework, it's utter bollocks.

If Qaddafi manages to crush the rebellion (the frontlines are already pushed back to Brega), and skips off with a minimal handslap from the international community, I think it will give tremendous encouragement to dictators not just in the Arab world, but the whole world. The message it sends is, "Do whatever you want to your own people, as long as you do it quickly."

This is Obama's Rwanda moment, and so far he's botching it with indecision about as well as Clinton did. He's certainly not alone in coming in for blame, but c'mon man...the French are ready to fight before we are.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 14, 2011, 07:24:07 am »

The UN is only as good as its member countries want it to be. It would require a serious remodeling of the UNSC for that body to be anything other than a superpower arm-wrestling table.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:25 am »

The UN is only as good as its member countries want it to be. It would require a serious remodeling of the UNSC for that body to be anything other than a superpower arm-wrestling table.

United Nations Space Command?

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 416