Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364738 times)

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1545 on: March 10, 2011, 08:52:57 pm »

Well, Saudi Arabia's big day is tomorrow. I guess we'll see how things turn out then. With any luck it'll turn out gigantic and force the monarchy out of power, but I doubt that's very likely.

You'd have to actually be from space to believe that could happen.

Well lets see, they're obviously rebels, but they don't like that name, and insist on being called "Protesters". Protesters generally don't form organised armies with anti-tank weapons and their own government. So how about we agree that they're a rebel group, called "The Protesters". I know, I'm a genius, no need to thank me.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

What's the name of that interim government?  The NLC?  Just call them NLC Forces or whatever.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 11, 2011, 02:01:20 am »

Well, Saudi Arabia's big day is tomorrow. I guess we'll see how things turn out then. With any luck it'll turn out gigantic and force the monarchy out of power, but I doubt that's very likely.

You'd have to actually be from space to believe that could happen.

Well lets see, they're obviously rebels, but they don't like that name, and insist on being called "Protesters". Protesters generally don't form organised armies with anti-tank weapons and their own government. So how about we agree that they're a rebel group, called "The Protesters". I know, I'm a genius, no need to thank me.

Now I want to be a band called "The Protestors".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:19 am »

Looks like gaddafi is fighting back.  This could very well end up a prolonged war, unless there is some sort of intervention.  Damn.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1549 on: March 11, 2011, 01:23:47 pm »

I am really torn. On the one hand the US and NATO and the UN could eliminate Gaddafi basically immediately.

On the other:

- The new government has at times said it wants no military help, only humanitarian aid.
- We've gotten mired in two nations already.
- The US is out of money.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:29 pm »

The Libyans have been asking for a no-fly zone from what I saw, which basically translates to "Shoot down all of Gaddafi's air support and we'll handle the rest".  Seems like a reasonable compromise to me; we'll see if the UN gets around to actually doing it. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1551 on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »

The Libyans have been asking for a no-fly zone from what I saw, which basically translates to "Shoot down all of Gaddafi's air support and we'll handle the rest".  Seems like a reasonable compromise to me; we'll see if the UN gets around to actually doing it.

They won't. Russia and China can both veto and they have no intention of allowing even the slightest support for popular uprisings.

The only way a no fly zone happens is if someone is willing to go against the UN.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »

A request for a NFZ from the Arab League, although otherwise the most impotent organization in existence, could help get something through the UNSC, or provide a good enough "casus belli" for someone to go against the UN. Beyond that, the best tool would be to strangle all supplies going to Gaddafi and make sure the rebels get supplied instead.

There are subtle preparations for a NATO NFZ though. The norwegian government, who are able to keep a secret for about 5 minutes, have received a request for P-3C orion surveillance planes and some other things for possible operations in the med.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:17:06 pm by olemars »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 11, 2011, 05:41:25 pm »

The Day of Rage in Saudi Arabia was uneventful.  Yemen and Bahrain had an upswing in violence.  India ordered its nationals living in Yemen to leave the country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1554 on: March 11, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

The Day of Rage in Saudi Arabia was uneventful.  Yemen and Bahrain had an upswing in violence.  India ordered its nationals living in Yemen to leave the country.

It was uneventful, but my impression was that it was only the massive show of force by the police that kept it that way. This kind of action only makes the underlying tensions worse. In days, weeks, or months, it will happen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »

Yeah I'm sure the Saudi secret police kept things from getting out of hand, but it'll only happen like that for so long.  For the time being, Yemen and Bahrain are the bigger threats.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 11, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »

All these uprisings are being supported by the Muslim Brotherhood, correct?

If they are I feel bad for Israel.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 11, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »

They seem to be part of it, but they definately aren't all of it. If that were how it was, none of the protestors would be calling for democtatic government.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 11, 2011, 06:53:29 pm »

All these uprisings are being supported by the Muslim Brotherhood, correct?

If they are I feel bad for Israel.

Link or stop fearmongering.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »

CNN said that when Mubarak announced he was stepping down the Muslim Brotherhood was one of the parties that he negotiated with.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 416