Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What's your siege strategy?  (Read 4642 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your siege strategy?
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:01:13 am »

When the goblins come arollin', what do you do?

I'm the kinda guy who's all like

"OKAY LOCK THE DOORS RAISE THE DRAWBRIDGES EVERYONE GET 50 FEET UNDEERGROUND OH SORRY URIST MCOUTSIDEFARMER YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOSE

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: What's your siege strategy?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:41 am »

"EVERYONE INSIDE! Urist, pull those levers."

-wait-

"Urist, fire the magmabursters."
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:21:35 am »

At the moment my big walkway with cliffs on either edge filled with wooden training spears is working fantastically.  All the goblins/trolls/mounts just dodge the harmless wooden spears and go right off the edge and I collect the precious goblinite.

I'm trying to annoy the elves and humans so I can get the slightly less precious elfite and humanite, but so far they aren't taking the bait.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:28 am »

Right now I have a series of 3 drawbridges, the innermost one separates the underground part of my fort from the above ground part, the middle one separates my walled courtyard from the trapped entrance, and the third one separates my trapped entrance from the outside world.

Siege comes, usually none of my dwarves are outside so I can just pull the innermost lever (my soldiers train outside). The remaining two bridges are open, I take stock of the invaders. If there are any building destroyers, I close the middle gate, leaving only the traps.

The non-building destroyers stay still, as there's nothing for them to attack, while any building destroyers beeline toward a set of statues surrounded with cage traps. Outer bridge raises, middle one lowers, anything that managed to avoid the traps gets cut down. Inner bridge raises, cage traps are reset, civilians go back inside, inner bridge raises, outer bridge lowers, allowing the rest of the siege access to my soldiers.

Many are caught in the cage traps, the outer two bridges can be raised and lowered to control the flow of goblins and allow for more trap resetting. The goblins not caught in the traps are cut down by my danger-room trained, steel-clad military. (I've seen my 10 man axedwarf squad take out the remainder of a siege consisting of at least 6 squads of goblins and a squad of trolls).

Cleanup ensues, caged prisoners are brought to the base of my sacrifice tower. Four at a time, their cages are built at the top and their inhabitants pitted down 10 z-levels onto an upright spike. After this is done for each prisoner access to the drop room is opened and their droppings can be cleaned up in time for the next siege.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:40:51 am »

Step 1: Locate enemies
Step 2: Send military to enemies
Step 3: Melt dropped armor, dump other stuff.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:43 am »

assign everyone to inner burrow, set meeting zone on the enemy, wait till 100+ war animals finish them off then remove everyone from inner burrow.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:08:08 am »

Pull the lever.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:22:58 am »

Order everyone below ground, seal the small exit that leads to my current kiloproject (not big enough for a megaproject), and station the marksdwarves in the gatehouse. Then wait until the siege grinds itself into my weapon traps while the marksdwarves rain bolts of pain and headshots on them. Once every goblin is either dead or unconscious, I send out my militia commander with his steel axe to clean up.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:25:18 am »

I'm all like "Ok men! You have the best shiney blue axes and helms in the provernce! You have spent years dodging spear traps and doing combat drills! You have been fed caged goblins for as long as they have been ambushing us! But now, now is your hour! It's our first seige, get out there and get some kills to those weapons!"

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:14 am »

If I have good defenses: Use them.

If I don't: Ignore them and hope they go away. :<
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 02:43:46 am »

Step 1: Locate enemies
Step 2: Send military to enemies
Step 3: Melt dropped armor, dump other stuff.

Replace step 2 with "wait patiently for enemies to move to the fortress entrance, so that step 3 doesn't take forever" and you have mine.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 02:45:20 am »

I enjoy sending several squads to the surface for gurilla warfare. I like to send one squad around the back to slaughter the ranged units.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:00:13 am »

Seal the fortress, unseal loooooong passageway lined with traps (and caged Tigers, Alligators etc. at end to attract the enemies and deal with them if they get through the traps), ? ? ?, Profit.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:04:31 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 03:24:08 am »

When I have a militia prepared, I station them somewhere in my entryway, sometimes infront of and sometimes behind the traps. Currently I have a fort with a grand little entryway with two pathways crossing a long, deep chasm, lined with weapon traps. Enemy leaders just dodge off the walkways and lay on the bottom horribly injured, their squads regroup down there with them before they finally retreat. Or they would, if I didn't station my soldiers at the top of the stairway to impale them with the door on their way out. I tend to lose a few dwarves, I don't use danger rooms and I generally don't produce large quantities of steel, so they're individually equivalent to their opponents in one-on-one combat. The traps still pose a major threat to the enemy, but their biggest problem is that their objective switches from fighting to retreating, and so they're content to slap a dwarf off and run like no other, and end up dead because of it.
Whenever I don't have a decent militia I just shut the door and wait for them to leave.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:32 am »

Get everyone inside, move military to entrance (my entrance is a two z-level hole in the ground). Wait for first few members of a squad to almost make it across the bridge and onto the traps, charge. The combination of traps and angry dwarves makes for a short fight, then withdraw and wait for the next squad.

Didn't work so well last siege, as a recruit of my second squad decided to go outside (even though he was on training duty) and got torn to bits by two goblin squads and five trolls. Good thing he was a new guy with few friends.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5