Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What's your siege strategy?  (Read 4635 times)

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
Re: What's your siege strategy?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »

Pull the lever.

This times infinity. It's funny how concise, vague, and yet esoterically accurate this three word statement is.

If all of fortress mode could be summed up into one phrase, I'm sure this isn't far off.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 04:17:15 pm »

I have this one little strategy that makes any fight so much easier, I always put it in as my last line of defense (after the traps, or the drawbridges or the water...). It's just a way of getting your military in the right position every time. All you do is make the sieges head through a hatch up or down a set of stairs into a big wide room. Station your squads all around the staircase, (sometimes I put weapon traps around the staircase, for added security) and the goblins pile in one by one, perfectly flanked every time.

In 40d, when legendary wrestlers could chuck goblins 10 tiles, I built a colossal tower to the sky, with a huge obsidian bridge heading to the nearby peak of the mountain. Goblins would run towards the tower, up through a hatch onto the top of the tower, where my wrestlers were waiting. Hilarity ensued and the base of the tower was bathed in blood.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

Step 1. Call all Non-Military to my deep, underground burrow surrounded by traps.
Step 2. Pull lever
Step 3. Remember I didn't tie the lever to anything
Step 4. Send mass military into the horde
Step 5. Break for tea time
Step 6. Bathe in the blood of my enemies
Step 7: Begin mass clean/melting tasks
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

1. Order all civilians underground.
2. Lure seigers inside special chamber with chained kitten
3.  Pull levers that fills chamber with water
4. Curse and pull the right lever.
5. Profit!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 07:01:09 pm »

I'm surprised that "Release the wild mega beast" isn't more popular...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 10:15:15 pm »

I'm surprised that "Release the wild mega beast" isn't more popular...

"Urist!  It is time for drastic measures!  Seal the side portals and unleash the Wrath of Armok upon them!"

"You mean our Titan, Grand Master Urist?"

"Yes!  What else do you think I'm talking about you fool?"

"The same Titan Urist McTheShining beheaded with his pickaxe and then stuck in a cage to paint it red with blood?"

"...By Urist's beard, why do you kill everything that invades you!  Is there no way to have some FUN around here?!"

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »

All recent migrants are assigned to military squads. Que Stalingrad-esq battles. No retreat! No surrender! Traitors and Cowards will be Hammered! I'm sorry Urist McSoapmaker, what did you expect?

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:25 am »

They never show up, so I guess I just keep doing what I do. <_<

If they did attack finally, however, I have eight danger-room trained axedwarves that are legendary in pretty much every combat skill and train 24/7. They are completely armored in masterwork/exceptional steel armor, and the squad captain is wearing iron artifact greaves (I know, probably not as good as masterwork steel, but they're awesome). They would probably die.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

1) Every one inside.
2) Get the military ready.
3) Wait for the first wave to be owned by the cage traps.
4) Wait for second wave to be owned by super magma-trap.
5) Send the 25 danger room-trained soldiers have some fun with the survivors.
6) Take the prisonners and bring the up the tower. Let them fall 120z levels. Drop the bodies into magma.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 07:44:22 pm »

Pull the lever.

And I guess to specify, I've got one entrance to my base that forks before the trade depot. At the pull of the lever, the the wide trade depot path slash main stairway get blocked by a raised bridge. The second fork leads to a winding path over a 2z deep pit. Traps are placed around the labrynth and 5 ballistas and 3 catapults with legendary operators fire along the path.

Should anyone manage to get past the maze (which has cage traps at the end) there's a pressure plate triggered cage cage full of war dogs and black bears. And a danger room trained squad of soldiers.

I know what you're asking: why is the pit so shallow? Well, on the first level below the maze is fortified archer ledges to shoot at people's feet and force a dodge, or to train themseleves on the writhing siegers. Also there's another squad of danger room soldiers to beat enemies senseless.

This pretty much routes everyone. So I have a fake wall at the entrance that hides one last squad of legendary axedwarves. The bridge wall gets lowered when the siegers begin their retreat and all is well in the world.

Oh yeah, the catch pit floods with magma for clean up convenience.

Oh yeah x2, I'm working on a series of cage traps that retreating goblins will path over but attacking ones won't. That way I have combatants for my arena/archery range over my volcano. I haven't had a chance to test it, though. Goblins have been too scared I guess.  >:|

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

In 40d (Because I haven't given up on my awesome fort) I:

1. Order non military dorfs inside.
2. Seal non-trapped entrances.
3. Send all squads to stations
4. Watch squads of gobbos stream along the external walls of my tower that are topped with fortifications.
5. Slaughter the entire first squad.
6. Frantically reload in time for next squad.
7. Let the goblins stream in.
8. As they reach the turn in the corridor almost 20 champions knights smash them.
9. Shoot more goblins as they retreat past my fortifications.
10. ? ? ?
11. Melt goblinite Profit!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 10:37:26 pm »

Layer one of the defence of Claspedchurches: The curtain wall that extends around my entire 5x6 embark.

2: One of my three 10-dorf-fully-legendary-clad-in-adamantine murder squads is on patrol around the outside of the walls at all time. (the second trains, ready to respond to hot-spots the third is stationed in the deeps to protect my workers down there)

3: Inside the entrance to the curtain wall is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG corridor protected by siege engines manned by siege operators who have been practicing since the dawn of time.

4: Past the siege engines lies the LABRYNTH. Full of cage and weapon traps.

5: At the exit to the LABRYTH sits the statue head of Armok. A giant stone head that forms the picture of the warrior dorf ascii with 1 block == 1 pixel. The statue can spit lava and cry water to obsidianify all foes who emerge from the labrynth unscathed.

6: Past the giant head of armok is another tunnel. This one full of more weapon traps and cage traps. At the end of the tunnel is another ballista and BEARMAGEDDON. A cage full of war black bears, war grizzly bears, war dogs, war alligators, and war crundles. Over 125 animals all told.

7: Should the enemy get past all these defences, they shall emerge into the fortress's outer cortyard ie: Most of the outside map. Outside farming, tree harvesting, herbing and fishing all take place here. However, to take control of fortress Claspedchurches, they must still breach the inner curtain wall, its associated moat, drawbridge, and archery tower.

8: If by some unholy miracle the enemy has made it through to the inner courtyard, they will find themselves facing the rest of the military as they emerge from their danger-room-barracks.

9: Past the barracks is the entrance tunnel into the fortress proper. Said tunnel of course has a line of cage traps surrounding it. Past the cage traps is a 4x8 self-cleaning and self draining drowning trap.

10: Past the drowning trap is another long hallway tunnel full of weapon and cage traps and some stone-fall traps from the fortress's origins that I haven't yet got around to replacing cuz there is no need. The end of the hallway has fortifications protecting a ballista that can fire down the whole length.

11: Only two chained war bears stand between the civilians and DEATH at this point.

12: civilian slaughter time for anything that managed to get this far.

To date, I have only ever needed the drowning trap once, way back when it and the very final tunnel were my only defences. Since then, my military has just murdered everything, so most of my defences of DOOM remain untested.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 01:01:05 am »

5: At the exit to the LABRYTH sits the statue head of Armok. A giant stone head that forms the picture of the warrior dorf ascii with 1 block == 1 pixel. The statue can spit lava and cry water to obsidianify all foes who emerge from the labrynth unscathed.

6: Past the giant head of armok is another tunnel. This one full of more weapon traps and cage traps. At the end of the tunnel is another ballista and BEARMAGEDDON. A cage full of war black bears, war grizzly bears, war dogs, war alligators, and war crundles. Over 125 animals all told.

Pics plzzz  :D
Lol war crundles.

Barakahzai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 02:06:17 am »

(I have a mega fortress)

1. Seal up entrance to main civilian fortress

2. Open up the gates of my 3 military fortresses

3. Position the squads of their respective fortresses behind a wall screen/corridor of traps.

4. Wait as my 60 Hammer Lords (and 3 champions) decked out with the works in terms of steel armor and warhammers get jiggy with it.

5. Collect goblinite to sell to elves.

I remember my first siege... had only 8 hammer lords at the time, as that's all I could manage in terms of full steel armor, when I hadn't had my magma forges yet. They literally walked outside and raped everything on that map, smashing dozens of goblins halfway across the map until they lay face down in a pool of their own blood.

Feels good man.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 02:20:58 am »

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:CHAMPION]
[NAME:champion:champions]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:1]