Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What's your siege strategy?  (Read 4637 times)

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your siege strategy?
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 06:50:50 pm »

Step 1: Save for scumming!
Step 2: Activate the alert! ALL CIVILIANS TO THE BURROW! (My legendaries are assigned to the burrow - they never leave the safety of the fort!)
Step 3: Wait for the goblins to enter the entry hallway. A nice, long 6-block wide corridor that has drawbridges at each end. Huh.
Step 4: PULL THE LEVER! (Which seals them in the corridor!
Step 5: Pull the OTHER LEVER!
Step 6: Watch the magma wash over them slowly, then drain slow, because its not a very good magma trap.
Step 7: Incorporate goblin weapons into backup weapon traps.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 12:04:08 pm »

Cage traps are a final line of defense for me, rather than a first. And not too many as they're rather broken, and it feels like cheating.
Bridges for me, are carved out of the natural rock, as drawbridges again feel like cheating, especially with the atom-smashing.

So what I went with this time is a tunnel leading down into the ground (using ramps so the wagons can get down there when they work again), leading to an artificial cavern that has a very long three tile bridge leading across it.
It's a long way down, and at the fortress end of it, there's forticifations to rain bolts down upon the enemy.
Optionally, three balistae to shoot bolts across the bridge at ground level.

If they make it past the entrance I can either release my undertrained melee guys (again, dangerrooms reek of cheating to me) or a torrent of water which washes them back into the artificial cavern and into the depths below, to smash apart, or drown. Hopefully a bit of both.

The same treatment is given to the ones who retreat, with a water reservoir at the top of the long ramped tunnel from the surface.
I could do this before they retreat, sure, but I enjoy watching actual fighting going on, and it's a nice surprise to pull on the cowards.

Sivere

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly Unhinged
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:45 pm »

URI-ST
Unlimited Resource Influx - Solution to Trading

Step 0: No traps, no cages, no marksdwarves, no magma.
Step 1: Build drawbridge over a channel.
Step 2: Dig a winding hallway.
Step 3: Build another drawbridge.
Step 4: And then another winding hallway.
Step 5: Dig out small barracks, to serve as a last ambush and thief detector.
Step 6: Assign Urist McSpeardwarf and Urist McAxedwarf to the barracks.
Step 7: Let them train.
Step 8: If there's an ambush or a siege and they aren't legendary Fighters, Shield Users, Axe- and Speardwarf respectively, rise the bridges and keep them that way for a season or two.
Step 9: If they are, see how's their Armour User skill, and what kind of armour are they wearing. Ideally, it should be iron or cotton candy. Same with weapons, except here steel is ok.
Step 10: Now that our two psychopaths are ready and able, lower the bridges.
Step 11: Take your time, let the goblins admire the hallway. Rise and lower the bridges if you feel like watching flying gobs.
Step 12: Once most of the siege is inside, rise the outer bridge.
Step 13: Order the Psychos4Life to move to the other end of the hallway, so that they meet our now trapped guests.
Step 14: Poor goblins.
Step 15: Write down how many invaders they killed each, compare to previous sieges. Have a beer in celebration if the kill stats were particularly impressive, and read some of the combat log.

Works well usually, except when it doesn't, and one of the trolls or elite gobs gets a lucky hit.

Fun for me either way  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:59:02 pm by Sivere »
Dwarfs will have access to the internet in version .99.99, when even Toady cannot push the game further. They will then discover the Bay12 Games website, creating an infinitely recursive chain of realities that will eventually reach critical mass and coalesce into DF 1.0, emerging from their web-based cocoon like some kind of meme-encrusted chrysalis.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]