Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570629 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2775 on: January 04, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »

When playing Caves of Qud via Steam, Steam user status changes to "In-Game " without listing Caves of Qud. (May be intentional)
thats normal behavior for games in closed beta that are not listed on the steam store

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 04, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »

Not quite a bug, but you really should stop slime from spawning on stairs (or have going down/up stairs not trigger slime). It really sucks to go down them, slip a few tiles, and over the turns you slip get murdered without any chance of survival. I'll just throw my post from the how did you die today thread here to further illustrate my point.
Doing pretty well with my mental mutant. Clear the Rust Wells without trouble, kill a legendary equimax and two slumberlings along the way without even once being in any real danger.
Walk down the stairs into redrock for the quest. I fall into some slime, which slides me to the left two tiles, and takes up two of my turns. During that time: My evil twin which just spawned hits me for ~30 damage with lasers, I slide over a young ivory, which stabs me in the food and causes bleeding for 10 damage +2 per turn, and I get caught and held by a qudaz plant. So, on my first action: I have 4 hp, am bleeding, held, and within sight of my evil twin that can shoot lasers through my forcefield (which if I activated would stop neither being held now the bleeding). Oh joy.

I proptly die the next turn as the plant holding onto me beats me to death.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That does have an actual bug there though: Your evil twin's lasers can go through force fields, while yours cannot.

I wasn't playing in the current version (not being lucky enough to snag a key), but after a few moments searching I don't think this has been fixed.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: January 08, 2015, 03:12:53 am »

That was a hilarious combination of unlikely circumstances, though -- the evil twin appearing at that exact moment, slipping onto the young ivory and into the grip of a plant, everything.  Sometimes the RNG just hates you.

(But seriously, evil twin is brutal.  I'm surprised you're taking it at all.  I take narcolepsy, which is a similar "randomly kill you" mutation, but even I won't take Evil Twin.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:15:44 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 08, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »

That was a hilarious combination of unlikely circumstances, though -- the evil twin appearing at that exact moment, slipping onto the young ivory and into the grip of a plant, everything.  Sometimes the RNG just hates you.

(But seriously, evil twin is brutal.  I'm surprised you're taking it at all.  I take narcolepsy, which is a similar "randomly kill you" mutation, but even I won't take Evil Twin.)
Yeah, it was pretty much a perfect storm of bad events, everything cooperating perfectly to kill me. Hell, even with everything spawned (and it was very bad luck that the evil twin spawned exactly where he did, which was within range of me, but outside of my line of sight (so I couldn't disable him with mental mutations)), I had ~1/2 chance to slip at all, then 1/6 chance to slip directly left onto the young ivory (which is also the only direction that had slime), and then another 1/10 chance to slip into range of the jilted lover. So even once everything spawned like that, I had a ~1/120 chance to slip in that direction and die like that (lower if you count the fact that jilted lovers usually don't hold you the very first turn you come into range).
Still though, that the possibility exists of dying instantly due to slime on the down stairs isn't a good thing. Later on it seems much more possible without terrible luck, if you slip in more dangerous areas (eg. go down the stairs into the range of 2+ turrets and slide 3-4 tiles while they murder you). Never terribly likely, but even a 1/10000 chance at unavoidable instant death from going down stairs is still upseting.

That said i've never had much problem with Evil Twin. Usually I just run away from him whenever he spawns outside, and if inside I throw some grenades at him or use cyrokenesis (which freezes him and prevents him from using mental mutations, but doesn't prevent the player from using mental mutations). It can be quite dangerous, but you can usually avoid fighting him. That isn't to say that I haven't died to him before, but it seems to me that randomly falling asleep would be worse.

E: Fixed my odds calculations.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:06:34 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 09, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »

Minor bug/minor feature request, not sure which.

Even if no water is available from the trader, if you are trading a large amount of stuff, you still get the message, you dont have enough containers for all that water. It shouldn't come up too often, I imagine only really if you're just trying to dump stuff on the trader to clean up town, or if you are trying to trade something expensive for something very cheap you need.

So, the request would be to allow you to accept yes then what your stuff is worth, on the basis of lack of containers.

Edit: Actually, the bug seems to be related to the Warden of Joppa, and trading him stuff. Rather, you can continuously sell him stuff, and, despite seeming to have no water, will give you water for whatever you sell him, with seemingly no limit.

Edit the second: Been having fun with metamorphis, making a massive stockpile of things, so it might just be the save, but ran into a completely flat area, dead center of the zone due north of joppa, between it and redrock. Much like the seven day stilt, IIRC that area correctly. Nothing but grey .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:42:59 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 12, 2015, 01:05:15 pm »

So far I'm really loving this game. The setting is extremely interesting - I really enjoy the detailed descriptions and the lore of the world. Gameplay is super fun as well.  I haven't really encountered any bugs - I haven't made it very far though either. Horrible giant grizzlies keep eating my face before I can make real progress. :P

I have to say that I like the ASCII mode far more than tiles... which is odd because I usually like my tiles. It just seems too busy and grainy with them on. Do you plan on adding mod , or custom tileset support in the future?

In other news I just bought Gamma World thanks to this game. Can't wait to try that out too!
I believe Deon has thrown his hat into the tile ring here, though I can't say for certain, as I am not he.

Yep, as soon as I manage to get the game and there is ANY kind of tileset support (I still haven't got a chance to check it out yet) I am going to go full time on tileset development for this gem.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:07:28 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 13, 2015, 12:10:18 am »

I've played this game forever, and I'm still finding new things. Also, due to all the things I find, I am now of the opinion that wings is a horribly limited mutation. For instance, you can't wear nylon bodypacks, flamethrowers, and, the newest thing I found while looting Grit Gate, Helping Hands, which is basically a multiple arm mutation as an item. Plus, you can
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But yeah, given all the wonderful back stuff, and the fact that wings doesn't do anything underground, its not worth it at all.

Edit: So, the latest version seems to have broken merchant repairs. See the item I mentioned in the spoiler, and Argyve claims its not broken. As well as other things. Fix it Foam does repair them though.

Edit the second: What skills do the various artifact weapons use? For example, I assume Vibro Blade is a long sword, and vibro dagger is a short blade. Are the stun and prayer rods clubs? What about the gaslight flyssa? Or do those weapons not get access to the skills?
So many edits: What is the difference between a 12 gauge shotgun, and a combat shotty? Aside from its own ammo. There are no damage or pen numbers for the 12 gauge, either on it or the ammo. Sneaky edit 17, final countdown: Rather insane bug, 12 gauge shotguns have, I think, infinite pen and damage. As, mine is doing 20k damage with one pellet. I think they might be able to take down one of those pyramids.

Final edit, the reckoning: Bug report? Maybe? When using multiple arms or multiple heads, you get no bonus for any gear equipped in the secondary hand/head slot. No additional armor makes sense, but here is no bonus at all. Haven't tried with resist gear, but ulnar stims don't give a bonus, even if something else is equipped in the primary slot. I can't see much purpose to those slots if they do absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:31:38 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 13, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »

I agree that flight is a pretty terrible mutation at the moment.  Most of the most difficult parts of the game are indoors, where it is pure disadvantage.

What if you could fly indoors while sprinting?  That seems like it'd be thematic and fun, without making it too powerful.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2783 on: January 13, 2015, 10:58:31 pm »

Flight needs better z-level handling to be really worthwhile. THEN it would kick ass.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 13, 2015, 11:28:57 pm »

I agree that flight is a pretty terrible mutation at the moment.  Most of the most difficult parts of the game are indoors, where it is pure disadvantage.

What if you could fly indoors while sprinting?  That seems like it'd be thematic and fun, without making it too powerful.
Perhaps, when indoors, it gives a boost to sprint, much like the spring heeled shoes. Or halves the cooldown of sprint. I'm not sure. It just literally is pure disadvantage when inside, which sucks.

Secondary bug report, possibly linked with the foam spray bug. Bandages don't recognize you being bleeding.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 14, 2015, 07:46:04 pm »

Flight could also eliminate damage from falling, which would matter in a small number of places (all right, one place, but it should logically make Golgotha vastly easier if you have a way to get past the back door.)

It might be interesting if some mutations had their own skill trees; wings are one that it would make sense for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 16, 2015, 05:45:59 pm »

Flight could also eliminate damage from falling, which would matter in a small number of places (all right, one place, but it should logically make Golgotha vastly easier if you have a way to get past the back door.)

It might be interesting if some mutations had their own skill trees; wings are one that it would make sense for.
So I just learned/realized a new trick on my never ending cycle of tinkerers.

Stasis Grenade plus set bomb, duration 1, is a nigh foolproof way to make a wall behind you and run away from almost anything. Even if its next to you, so long as you can survive an attack, it SHOULD get caught in the bomb blast, thus locking it down, and blocking anything else from getting through.

I also learned that thermal MK III grenades should never be used as anything other then a toy, and to never try to actually use them in any combat fashion.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2787 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't know why, but grenades NEVER work right for me. I always end up wither missing with them or having them go off halfway to my target and damage me too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 16, 2015, 08:03:20 pm »

Yeah, I don't know why, but grenades NEVER work right for me. I always end up wither missing with them or having them go off halfway to my target and damage me too.
If you've never used a mkIII thermal, they turn about a quarter of the map into a flaming wasteland that would make a dwarf proud. Like, were talking lots of walls melted into lava and everything on fire. Even if you do throw them perfect. Best use is to set em as a bomb if you have a huge horde following you.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »

Secondary bug report, possibly linked with the foam spray bug. Bandages don't recognize you being bleeding.

Yeah, I fixed a bug with effect name-recognition that is causing a bunch of weird small bugs. It'll be in the next build.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 250