Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569535 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #795 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38:06 am »

I wished up this "Joppa Recoiler" you have told me of. My last power cell later, it doesn't seem to do anything. (I assume it's supposed to recoil me to Joppa?)
Yeah. How charged was your cell? I'm pretty sure the recoiler takes a lot of power (from a full chem sell to a low chem cell). You might want to wish up a full cell, too, if you need it.

....I died....
*smashes keyboard wildly*

I accidentally attacked one of those hibernating creatures :P
Yeaaaaaahh, those guys can kick the crap out of you. You'll want to be fairly high leveled or have ranged weapons/mutations and force wall/bubble.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:13 am »

Ah, Slumberlings. I remember going to Red Rock and freaking the hell out when I went down the first staircase, and lo and behold, there sat an Impossible monstrosity one square away. It does make me wonder if their discription is just fluff, or if they really do wake up one day a year?

Anyway, I got the Joppa Recoiler to work, thanks be to Tarran.

....I really shouldn't keep this thing, given how I obtained it. But I think that I will.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:31 am »

....I really shouldn't keep this thing, given how I obtained it. But I think that I will.
Ah, cheating temptation is setting in I see. Well, you can say you paid for it by buying crap from a merchant (about 60 drams for the recoiler I think?) worth that of the recoiler and dumping it on the ground. ;)
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 02, 2011, 12:48:51 am »

Ah, cheating temptation is setting in I see. Well, you can say you paid for it by buying crap from a merchant (about 60 drams for the recoiler I think?) worth that of the recoiler and dumping it on the ground. ;)
Guess. Guess what goddamed quest I was returning to Joppa when I got stuck in that cave. I guess the whole cheating thing is no longer an issue, now that I have an honest Joppa Recoiler.

EDIT: And now I am appaerently expected to fend off killer robots with a jury-rigged scrambler so I can go talk to/kill off (I'm not really sure) a bunch of Mutant Albino Quilled Cave Bears. This game just hates the people who play it, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:59:49 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

Unormal, bug: The Warden has a "waterskin 0 drams of fresh water" worth 11.90 drams for sale on his trade screen.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »

Is that a bug? I don't understand ... should it just say empty waterskin? Did you buy it and see if you could pour anything out, etc. or if it changes when you add liquids to it?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 02, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

Is that a bug? I don't understand ... should it just say empty waterskin?
Yeah, empty waterskins are just called empty waterskins.

Did you buy it and see if you could pour anything out, etc. or if it changes when you add liquids to it?
No, not yet. Trying now.

Also, your sig is severely outdated man. Might want to change that.

Edit: Can't pour anything out, goes straight to salt when filled up. Basically, it's a empty waterskin, just with a screwed up name.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:57:03 pm by Tarran »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »

I managed to kill a Slumberling at level 10, but just barely. The friendly security bots in the Grit Gate saw fit to awaken the sleeping monstrosity in an attempt to "help" me. Nearly all of my healing items, the totality of the level's droid population, several lead slugs, and 525 XP later I just barely managed to take the thing down. Not doing that again anytime soon if I can help it.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:59:24 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »

Wow, witchwood bark is EXTREMELY effective at healing. Saved me many, many times. I highly recommend anyone with harvestry gather some, and anyone without harvestry get it and gather some, because they can save you from the brink of death easily.

Edit:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:27:48 pm by Tarran »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:34 am »

If you really want to survive, take Force Bubble and Force Wall. Yes, both of them. Force bubble shoves enemies away from you, and Wall stops them from following you. Around level 15, you can keep force wall up permanently, and at 22 you can keep Bubble up permanently. At least in theory. I haven't managed to get someone that high legitimately, but it sounds like a solid plan.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:14 am »

So... I've had my first experience trying this game.  After futzing around with a couple throwaway characters, I thought I'd found a good (i.e. cheap) combination in being a Gunslinger Mutant with the Spinneret power.  I'd lure enemies towards me, trap in a web, and blast them to pieces at close range.

I tried this plan with a Salamander, and it worked fine.  The main problem was that, even with a base Agility of 24, it took over a dozen shots from two tiles away to kill the thing.  And after all that expended shot, I got no notable experience and no items of any kind.  Attempts to repeat this plan with multiple enemies resulted in a very quick death, since even with 24 Agility, I moved slightly slower than almost everything (including tortoises, insultingly enough) and I don't believe I actually dodged even one attack.

Now, if combat is supposed to be that unforgiving and that unprofitable, fine.  Even for a Roguelike though, that's pretty hardcore.  And it'd be nice if there was an upfront warning saying "hey, you're not going to get anywhere trying to play this game like you would NetHeck," but probably more diplomatically.  If combat is not supposed to be that unforgiving and unprofitable, then consider this my critique of the Beta.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2011, 06:23:06 am »

Even while aiming, I still miss quite a bit
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:46 am »

Apparently I started with a data-disk of a 'Corrupt Banana'. Anyone know what that is?

Also, what does a telescoping monocle do?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 03, 2011, 09:04:44 am »

So... I've had my first experience trying this game.  After futzing around with a couple throwaway characters, I thought I'd found a good (i.e. cheap) combination in being a Gunslinger Mutant with the Spinneret power.  I'd lure enemies towards me, trap in a web, and blast them to pieces at close range.

I tried this plan with a Salamander, and it worked fine.  The main problem was that, even with a base Agility of 24, it took over a dozen shots from two tiles away to kill the thing.  And after all that expended shot, I got no notable experience and no items of any kind.  Attempts to repeat this plan with multiple enemies resulted in a very quick death, since even with 24 Agility, I moved slightly slower than almost everything (including tortoises, insultingly enough) and I don't believe I actually dodged even one attack.

Now, if combat is supposed to be that unforgiving and that unprofitable, fine.  Even for a Roguelike though, that's pretty hardcore.  And it'd be nice if there was an upfront warning saying "hey, you're not going to get anywhere trying to play this game like you would NetHeck," but probably more diplomatically.  If combat is not supposed to be that unforgiving and unprofitable, then consider this my critique of the Beta.
Which weapon did you use? Most of guns avaliable early totally suck. You will start killing things much later, with various modded advanced guns. Muskets just don't cover it, swords are much better in the beginning.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

I was using the two starting six-shooters.  The fundamental problem is that I don't see how it's possible to survive long enough to get any fancy new stuff.  Killing deadly monsters is worth barely any experience, and surviving such an encounter leaves one extremely vulnerable.  Following the first given quest, I managed to gun down a snapjaw warlord, only to die in two steps to seed-spitting plants upon leaving the room.  "Loot" appears to be virtually nonexistent at any reachable area, and there's hordes of deadly foes around every corner.

I guess my overall question is, how the Hell are you supposed to survive long enough to improve, when surviving even a one-on-one Average fight is an expensive crapshoot?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 250