Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569468 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #765 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

Nice tweak to the OpenGL display, making fullscreen (alt+enter) much nicer to use:

*The OpenGL display will now 'letterbox' instead of stretching when resized to a mismatched aspect ratio
*Tweaked penetration mechanic so that differences in AV are less severe
*Non-combat objects won't spam the log when they're taking damage
*Two-headed should now reduce the energy cost of mental actions by the correct amount
*Light Manipulation's energy is use now correctly tagged as Mental

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 09, 2011, 02:22:35 pm »

Quick question: Do new enemies and/or items spawn, if you're away from a location for long enough?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 09, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »

Quick question: Do new enemies and/or items spawn, if you're away from a location for long enough?

No, areas are static, so you'll have to move on to find more stuff.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »

*There's now a background image when letterboxing. You can replace the background.bmp, and there's an option to toggle it off.
*You may now throw grenades "through" targets, so you can more easily hit groups of creatures without endangering yourself

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 14, 2011, 09:18:50 am »

*Fixed 'overland lag' issue (This was caused by force bubble not clearing it's list of field squares, so it'd get slower every time you used force bubble.)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 14, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »

I noticed with a somewhat recent update (I'm now using the latest) that a True Human 16 INT character going from level 1 to 2 gains under 100 skill points when before the same starting character gained 120-something. It looks kind of like the True Human skill point bonus of 20 per level evaporated. Anyone else? Am I doin it rong?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 17, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »

*Added some consistancy checks to the action queue, to prevent bad objects from retaining references to old zones
*Added some guards to prevent active creatures from being added to the queue in a non-active zone
*Fixed some bugs that was preventing some zones from getting suspended from the zone cache, causing it to grow in an unbounded manner over time

Note: Overall this should fix many (maybe even most) of the ballooning-game-size issues. This may or may not break the game's active object management in horrible new ways I didn't find in my very quick test, so keep on the lookout.

Currently oversized (1+ gig in memory) games may be somewhat deflated by loading them, going into options and checking off 'Flush zones to cache early'. Then go to a couple nearly empty zones like the ones just outsite of Joppa, and walking back and forth across a zone boundry until it stops saying 'freezing zone' every time you cross a border.

*More efficent console bitmap loading
*Fixed an issue with spurious 'action queue inconsistancy' messages
*Background image is now filtered in filtered mode
*Changed game loading to load from a memory stream rather than chunk by chunk from disk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:38:42 pm by unormal »

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:00 pm »

*New item: Flashbang Grenade
*New tinkering skill: Reverse Engineer, giving you a small chance to learn a recipe when disassembling an item
*Rebalanced INT requirements for several Tinkering skills
*Lowered the cost of merchant identify for highly complex artifacts
*You must now have the required amount of drams to identify an item
*The ability to repair and identify items is now on an NPC by NPC basis, not all traders will be able to repair or identify any item
*Changed Domination attack roll, removing hard level-cap and limiting the maximum ego-based penalty based on mutation level
*Changed Beguiling attack roll, removing hard level-cap and limiting the maximum ego-based penalty based on mutation level
*Changed Sunder Mind's attack roll, limiting the maximum ego-based penalty based on mutation level
*Changed Confusion's attack roll, limiting the maximum ego-based penalty based on mutation level
*Domination is now a hostile action
*Beguiling is now a hostile action
*Changed Syphon vim attack roll, limiting the maximum ego-based penalty based on mutation level
*Reduced Sunder Mind's damage dice
*Fixed some issues in the latest AV penetration code
*Fixed a crash with twinning lampreys

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2011, 06:56:03 pm »

Aw, beguiling is now offensive? :(

How about making it so beguiled/converted npcs don't attack friendly? I hate moving back in town just to have a huge silly fight.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2011, 07:02:27 pm »

Aw, beguiling is now offensive? :(

How about making it so beguiled/converted npcs don't attack friendly? I hate moving back in town just to have a huge silly fight.

Now that it's a little more restrictive, I'll take a look at the faction presentation of beguiled creatures. It was just totally game-breaking when there were no possible repercussions for beguiling/dominating every merchant.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »

*Witchwood bark autoeat priority set to 0 (never eat)
*Tinkering screen should now correctly scroll
*Metal, Crysteel and Stone will generally no-longer catch fire
*Added specific heat (water shouldn't generally instantly turn to steam if you put yourself out in a pool, unless you're very hot)
*Added a few phase changes (i.e. shale to lava)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »

*Metal, Crysteel and Stone will generally no-longer catch fire
Good. It never made sense to me why fire was destroying metal and stone.

*Added specific heat (water shouldn't generally instantly turn to steam if you put yourself out in a pool, unless you're very hot)
Thank goodness. Now I won't have to worry about walking onto water and it turning into steam and instakilling me whenever I'm on fire.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:22 pm »

This looks pretty fun.  I set the game up and have gone through about 4 characters now.  I get the quest to bring back the creature's corpse but I keep getting killed by some red chameleon with horns, ugh.  On my most recent character, I got a corpse but apparently it wasn't the right one so I have to go back and keep searching.  Man, this game is almost as confusing to a newbie as DF. 

Any experienced players have any tips?  Each new character I use true human and I divide all skill points evenly to 18 except for STR and toughness which I put to 19.  My last few characters have been praetorians.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »

This looks pretty fun.  I set the game up and have gone through about 4 characters now.  I get the quest to bring back the creature's corpse but I keep getting killed by some red chameleon with horns, ugh.
Yeah, be careful with them, they're quite dangerous for low level characters.

On my most recent character, I got a corpse but apparently it wasn't the right one so I have to go back and keep searching.  Man, this game is almost as confusing to a newbie as DF.
You have to get a Girshling corpse, they're the creatures eating the watervines.

Any experienced players have any tips?  Each new character I use true human and I divide all skill points evenly to 18 except for STR and toughness which I put to 19.  My last few characters have been praetorians.
Here's a few tips:
Humans may be easy in the early game, but they lack mutations, which can generally be good from early to late in the game.

I wouldn't pump my stuff up to 19. I'd recommend you instead use those four points (starting at 18, each point in a attribute costs two points instead of one) for other things, like agility and intelligence.

Do you use ranged weapons? Because ranged weapons are almost completely vital at all stages of the game, considering there are a lot of enemies you do NOT want to get into melee with.

Do you steal from the 3 chests in town that you can steal from as long as the door is closed? I.e the one in the building immediately north-west of you, the building immediately south-east of the elder's, and the building immediately north-west of the merchant (I forget his name). Those are free for the taking so long as you remember to close the doors.

After you finish the watervine eaters, kill the elder (BUT REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE DOOR OR YOU WILL HAVE TO FACE THE WARDEN). Last I checked he was a total pushover, and he gives 1000 XP and I'm pretty sure a random Metametal weapons that are REALLY powerful. Also, you get to loot his chest.

The Glowpad merchant sells lots of expensive awesome stuff. Just remember not to attack or be attacked by ANYTHING while in his LOS or you will be glowpad food in a little bit.

Be careful around ruins, they usually contain many high level enemies.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:00 pm »

The skill point boost from being human is usually fairly good, enough to compensate for your lag of mutation power. Even tho the mutations help, they don't replace weapons and skills.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 250