Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569545 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #825 on: March 07, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp7roWd2ia0&feature=feedu
Around 26:30 when he kills a puma it says that he "butchers vinewafer". Shouldn't he butcher puma meat instead?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 07, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »

^^ Yes!

*All characters now start with Sprint (movement buff like old Run, but with a DV penalty)
*Run has been replaced by Hurdle, which removes the DV penalty from Sprint
*Unique, named monsters are now more rare, but have better loot
*Witchwood is now has a chance to cause confusion
*Monsters will now sometimes break pursuit
*Fixed the message for a master butchery proc
*Fixed some monsters incorrectly butchering into vinewafers
*Fixed some issues causing permanent confusion
*Fixed a few minor typos

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »

*All characters now start with Sprint (movement buff like old Run, but with a DV penalty)
*Monsters will now sometimes break pursuit
Yay! Now running away is actually an effective strategy.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 07, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »

Something strange happened.

I am not a mutant. I am a human who starts with an axe skill and +15 fire resistance.

I've entered rust wells, there was a lich and baboons.
Then I get this message:

Why do I drain baboon's life force?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »

Did you devour the lich beforehand?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:41 pm »

I'll fix this bugged message next patch.

E:
*Fixed an incorrect message when NPCs life-leech other NPCs
*Fixed an exception when expanding endurance
*Fixed an exception in the AI pursuit code
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:28:39 pm by unormal »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 08, 2011, 02:17:25 am »

Wow, I feel like witchwood is really GREATLY nerfed :). I like it though.

Even with a good memory for map layouts and understanding of mobs' pathfinding it's still extremely confusing and led to many deaths :).

A little suggestion: maybe you could add another skill to self-discipline which would greatly reduce the chance of such stuff? Or tie it to something like Iron Will? And why not to make more stuff with similar effects? It's an extremely fun mechanic. Having more drug-like consumables which affect your perception and show you something which is not there is really cool :). Maybe even add some illegal products of witchwood or chemistry to the game, with black market traders?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:05 am »

1) I somehow manage to harvest 2-5 times from a tree from time to time (rarely).
2) Autodisassemble scrap doesn't seem to work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 08, 2011, 02:49:50 am »

I imagine witchwood got nerfed because it was a 40 hp instant heal in the middle of combat, whereas the fairly expensive, at least early on, medical injectors are something like 4-12 health or something like that. Regenera injectors are evidently massively powerful midgame, but early, witchwood was THE choice to heal, and it was free.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 08, 2011, 05:04:37 am »

Another problem: when YOUR deployed turret shoots an enemy and cannot penetrate its armor, it says "the turret cannot penetrare YOUR armor" instead of the critter's name.

I also see a lot of blank names in combat log (" _ hits someone for 6 damage") where _ is nothing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 08, 2011, 05:17:50 am »

I'm more annoyed with burgeoning. Mutation is horribly broken twice over. Kills your plants make don't give you xp, but at the same time the cooldown is only 6 turns even with 10 willpower at level 1. At 26 willpower, its 1 turn, and it spams out a ton of plants including a ton of seed spitters, jilted lovers, young ivory, and other nasty things, all allied to you. I've killed the warden once at level one with judicious use of force wall, force bubble, and burgeoning.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 08, 2011, 05:27:30 am »

Another issue: fish and amoebas drop hands and legs with dismemberment. I guess it's a lot of work to check for creature types, but couldn't you try to make "bodyparts" at least for a "type" of creature in the future so they drop appropriate ones?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:09 am »

Fire ants: new horned chameleons of Qud!

Short summary: now when witchwood is much harder to get, and it makes it almost impossible to fight a group in labyrinths, there's no good counter to fire ants on their level.

They are around Grit Gate, a hell lot of them. The problem is that their fire effect essentially kills the regeneration boosters, and the explosion damage is quite strong by itself (around 15 points for me). Characters at that level have 50-80 hp. When you meet 2-3 ants, it means more than half of HP is gone at once. Also if you use witchwood you cannot dodge their fireballs in ruins and you burn to death.

I've managed to survive them, but only with extreme luck. Many good characters died to them.
It was too easy back when witchwood was abundant though. Now it's VERY hard.

The question is why do they shoot (in fact) a rocket launcher missile and set you on fire after that? They don't give that much XP, they are MUCH more frequent than goatfolk sawers or guys with explosive weapons, and they are all around the quest location where you head almost immediately.

My suggestion is to either reduce the initial damage significally (they throw a fireball, not a grenade, right? why does it deal much more damage than a lazer turret?) or make them much less frequent.

Or give them a bigger cooldown on fire projectiles.

I am not whining, but they are just not worth the reward, and the fact that they ignite you in groups makes them quite hard to dodge (and with the lack of stealth skill it's almost impossible in some cases).

The only good way to deal with them is to level the skill which makes you to learn recipes, then destroy a few instaheal boosters and spend all your limegreen scrap on them. I didn't find a better way to heal. And yeah, it's very expensive this way.

On another note, now when witchwood is not a good combat healing, mutants are pretty much screwed there. You have to either go "mass instaheal" way, it means that you have to put many points in INT and END at once, which makes builds much less flexible.

If there was a healing power for mentals which would remove negative effects like fire or frost, it would be great :).

About "regrowth" or how is it called, with TONS of plants on early levels which do not net XP for kills: it's cheap and at the same time not too rewarding for leveling skill. I'd suggest to reduce the amount of plants, make the skill cost more in mutation points and make plants to give XP for their kills (like turrets do).
And don't reduce the cooldown if you do this please, mutants already have big pauses between "spells", so it's almost impossible to play a "full mage" unless you want to wait  a lot, and it's quite boring :).

P.S. My main reason of whining about fire ants is the fact that I've lost three 10-11 lvl characters by going down a stairway and catching a few fireballs in my face without getting a turn :). It's a "fake difficulty" for me, when you can't actually do something in a place where you're supposed to be.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:18:41 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2011, 09:18:47 am »

I'd settle for one plant, you can pick what sort similar to how you can pick what stat with the stat boost mutation. That would give it a great deal of utility while not being blatantly overpowered and spammy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:39 am »

Well, leveling a power SHOULD give more plants though, because you will level it maximum 3 times by level 12, when you usually have an instakilling axe-juggernaut for normal humans :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 250