Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266136 times)

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1725 on: February 25, 2011, 03:47:23 pm »

I'd rather not assume too much until release about how "dynamic" things are. Remember Radiant AI?
Emphasis on this. Or rather, in before "Well, this was real, but it worked wrong, so we removed it.".

Also, too much of the stuff in this trailer is obvious cinematics. For example, do you imagine your character suddenly stopping at a cliff edge and looking down with his hand stretched out in actual gameplay? Or him rising from zombie stance (what is he doing there looking at the ground after blocking anyway?) to look at his opponent? Or suddenly stopping after an upward slash to pant dramatically while looking backwards?

Also the part where he sucks in the dragon's soul or something looks higher quality, like it's not even in-engine anymore when they do the terrain shot with the other dragon.

Sprinting is confirmed to be in, if you sprint to the edge of a cliff, it's assumed that will happen.

Either he's winded from sprinting (and getting hit by fucking dragon fire) and taking longer to stand or it's a charging period for the dragon shout.

It's assumed panting will happen when your stamina is low.

Part where he's absorbing the dragon's power is in-game... Everything in the trailer apart from the wall from the announcement trailer is in-game, as has been confirmed time and time again. I don't see them making in-game animations just for a trailer. Seems like waste time and money and will disappoint a ton of people.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 25, 2011, 04:00:25 pm »

Nick Breckon:
"Glad people got to finally see some Skyrim animation in this trailer. All that dragon stuff actually happens dynamically in-game."

"They fly, they land, they breath fire, they crash-land. Everything you saw in the trailer."

Hopefully all those things are animated better than the second dragon's flight in the trailer, otherwise every dragon fight will be awfully cringe-worthy  :-\

I wonder why the dragons are invading anyway, they must have some motive since they're obviously intelligent (what with having a language and an alphabet). Hopefully their motive(s) will be expanded upon with history and such. It's much more interesting to fight something whose motives you know and oppose (or maybe even support! Now that would be a first for a TES game, you actually siding with the designated bad guys!) than something that just randomly invades "for the evulz".

Maybe they're angry at being wiped out and all. Have we been told of the nature of their return? Are new dragons just 'created' or is it more like old ones brought back to life?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »

Or maybe they're just vampire dragons and like all vampires, they don't have reasons, just thirsty for power.

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 25, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »

Or if they target oblivion-players : "bluh bluh oblivon gates,big bad deadra  bluh bluh dragon angry! dragon smash!"
Hope it's not that ;p

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 25, 2011, 04:14:59 pm »

Nick Breckon:
"Glad people got to finally see some Skyrim animation in this trailer. All that dragon stuff actually happens dynamically in-game."

"They fly, they land, they breath fire, they crash-land. Everything you saw in the trailer."

Hopefully all those things are animated better than the second dragon's flight in the trailer, otherwise every dragon fight will be awfully cringe-worthy  :-\

I wonder why the dragons are invading anyway, they must have some motive since they're obviously intelligent (what with having a language and an alphabet). Hopefully their motive(s) will be expanded upon with history and such. It's much more interesting to fight something whose motives you know and oppose (or maybe even support! Now that would be a first for a TES game, you actually siding with the designated bad guys!) than something that just randomly invades "for the evulz".

Maybe they're angry at being wiped out and all. Have we been told of the nature of their return? Are new dragons just 'created' or is it more like old ones brought back to life?

Akatosh has dragon minions called "Jills"(Don't ask why they're called that, I have no idea).  Given that he's come to eat the world, I would guess they're helping him out.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »

G-Flex was being sarcastic about the plagiarism.

That much was obvious, yes. I don't much care for sarcastic responses to my posts.

It's much more interesting to fight something whose motives you know and oppose (or maybe even support! Now that would be a first for a TES game, you actually siding with the designated bad guys!) than something that just randomly invades "for the evulz".

What're you on about, I for one was always rooting for the Sixth House.
Well, maybe not. But at least they're honest about their intentions to make you into a zombie with its face missing, unlike the 'good' guys who just lie to you and use you as a pawn. Plus destroying the Heart was such a grand waste. Azura's such a bitch. First she has a whole race of people wiped out because she finds it offensive that they dare to try and understand the world they live in, and then she just uses you to finish the job and get back at the guys who backstabbed her. Not to mention destroy a source of divine power and knowledge, thus condemning the mortal races to remain ignorant and powerless and at the mercy and whim of the et'Ada. Yeah, good job, hero.

Everything in the trailer apart from the wall from the announcement trailer is in-game, as has been confirmed time and time again.

In-game does not mean the same thing as in-engine. You need to watch every word with this marketing hype. And it still does no good, since they'll just lie anyway.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 25, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »

Plus destroying the Heart was such a grand waste. Azura's such a bitch. First she has a whole race of people wiped out because she finds it offensive that they dare to try and understand the world they live in, and then she just uses you to finish the job and get back at the guys who backstabbed her. Not to mention destroy a source of divine power and knowledge, thus condemning the mortal races to remain ignorant and powerless and at the mercy and whim of the et'Ada. Yeah, good job, hero.
To be fair, you wouldn't exactly like it if the roaches decided to dig up your family members and use their soul to become as powerful as you. As much as the heart could have helped all sentient life it was a lot like messing with nuclear weapons while knowing that the current theories on it suggest the atmosphere could light afire.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 25, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »

Quote from: Sordid
Everything in the trailer apart from the wall from the announcement trailer is in-game, as has been confirmed time and time again.

In-game does not mean the same thing as in-engine. You need to watch every word with this marketing hype. And it still does no good, since they'll just lie anyway.

If they had said "in-engine" then you might have a point, but they specifically said in-game, in-game is in-engine, in-engine is not always in-game.

As for lying, what would be the point? They have 9 months to go, hyping too much now would be a very bad idea, expectations are going to be insanely high as it is.

I swear, half of you must be wearing tin-foil hats. Me? I'll take them at their word, if it turns out they're lying, I won't buy their game. Simple.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 25, 2011, 05:00:08 pm »

Anybody know what DRM, if any, Skyrim will use or if it will be sold Steam only?  Whether I buy this or not may hinge on that fact alone.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 25, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

in-game is in-engine

Not necessarily, at least not unless you're willing to argue that cinematics are somehow not a part of the game. (at this point I would also like to pre-emptively point out there is a difference between in-game and in-gameplay)

As for lying, what would be the point?

Why do people lie, hm. Well generally I'd say to gain an advantage they couldn't otherwise obtain.

They have 9 months to go, hyping too much now would be a very bad idea, expectations are going to be insanely high as it is.

And yet they keep throwing more and more stuff out, interviews, videos, even a bloody feature on how the sounds were made, and who's interested in that? Clearly they disagree with you and think hyping as much as possible right now is a good idea.

To be fair, you wouldn't exactly like it if the roaches decided to dig up your family members and use their soul to become as powerful as you. As much as the heart could have helped all sentient life it was a lot like messing with nuclear weapons while knowing that the current theories on it suggest the atmosphere could light afire.

Yeah, but that's exactly why it bugs me. We're humans, taking risks and pushing boundaries is what we do, what we've always done, and that's why I admire the dwemer so much. They were the only race in the TES universe with truly human spirit. They knew perfectly well the Daedra didn't want them messing with the heart but they did it anyway. As The Definitive Guide to Dwemer puts it, they were atheists in a world where gods actually exist. They had massive balls made of solid brass, and that's why I love them.
And in each one of those there was a robot with a sword for an arm. :P

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 25, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »

Sprinting is confirmed to be in, if you sprint to the edge of a cliff, it's assumed that will happen.

Either he's winded from sprinting (and getting hit by fucking dragon fire) and taking longer to stand or it's a charging period for the dragon shout.

It's assumed panting will happen when your stamina is low.

Part where he's absorbing the dragon's power is in-game... Everything in the trailer apart from the wall from the announcement trailer is in-game, as has been confirmed time and time again. I don't see them making in-game animations just for a trailer. Seems like waste time and money and will disappoint a ton of people.
So you're going to believe dragon fights look just like that? That Bethesda, the people who made the horrendous animations in Oblivion and Fallout 3, have made something like this work in-game? Also, there is no difference between in-engine and pre-rendered 3d animations, you can use the same animations in either. The only difference is the renderer. People have put a lot of work into trailer-exclusive animations before. This wouldn't be new.

And I still remember the radiant AI presentation, a scripted bunch of lies, made to hype the game up and get more sales in the first week. I don't think any gameplay preview ever hyped me up and dissapointed me as much as that did. I'm not believing too good to be true features until at least some actual live gameplay demo (as in something playable at a gaming expo).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:05 pm »

He needn't lie in order for things to be disappointing.

Keep in mind that a simple video demonstration of a feature can make it appear to work far, far better than it actually does. It's much easier to make something work once, in a limited fashion, in a tightly controlled environment, than it is to make it work just as satisfactorily all the time in practice.

So maybe they're lying, or maybe they're not. Or maybe they're telling the truth while still misrepresenting its capabilities or obfuscating its downfalls.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 25, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

I find myself agreeing with Virtz. Given Bethsoft's track record, I'd say scepticism is in order.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »

Yeah, but that's exactly why it bugs me. We're humans, taking risks and pushing boundaries is what we do, what we've always done, and that's why I admire the dwemer so much. They were the only race in the TES universe with truly human spirit. They knew perfectly well the Daedra didn't want them messing with the heart but they did it anyway. As The Definitive Guide to Dwemer puts it, they were atheists in a world where gods actually exist. They had massive balls made of solid brass, and that's why I love them.
And in each one of those there was a robot with a sword for an arm. :P
Well yeah it was awesome, just don't bash the gods when you are doing something you know is sticking a middle finger at them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:14 pm »

I'd rather not assume too much until release about how "dynamic" things are. Remember Radiant AI?
Emphasis on this. Or rather, in before "Well, this was real, but it worked wrong, so we removed it.".

Also, too much of the stuff in this trailer is obvious cinematics. For example, do you imagine your character suddenly stopping at a cliff edge and looking down with his hand stretched out in actual gameplay? Or him rising from zombie stance (what is he doing there looking at the ground after blocking anyway?) to look at his opponent? Or suddenly stopping after an upward slash to pant dramatically while looking backwards?

Also the part where he sucks in the dragon's soul or something looks higher quality, like it's not even in-engine anymore when they do the terrain shot with the other dragon.

I will not buy this game if running to the edge of a cliff does not cause you to fall off.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 201