Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963605 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #720 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »

snip.

Hoho you don't even know how close you are with that phrase. The reason why I'm so freaked out is the stuff kills quick, the ingredients are easy to find, and you can make it in an hour. Then again I guess the same could be said for meth, minus the killing, sorta.

What's weird is death by draino or lye, how it takes days but it just slowly dissolves your body, turning you into sheets of soap. Here's the awful part though, you start to throw up after a couple hours, sheets of your own organs, now turned into glycerin and crude red soap. So that's the lesson today kids, don't drink alkaline solutions.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #721 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:34 pm »

Naw, we're talking about poisons and their effects. That is very terrifying!

I don't see a single mention on how to apply said poisons.

Except wikipedia.

Wikipedia is out to get me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 26, 2012, 05:38:11 pm »

snip.

Hoho you don't even know how close you are with that phrase. The reason why I'm so freaked out is the stuff kills quick, the ingredients are easy to find, and you can make it in an hour. Then again I guess the same could be said for meth, minus the killing, sorta.

What's weird is death by draino or lye, how it takes days but it just slowly dissolves your body, turning you into sheets of soap. Here's the awful part though, you start to throw up after a couple hours, sheets of your own organs, now turned into glycerin and crude red soap. So that's the lesson today kids, don't drink alkaline solutions.

That's debatable. Probably not as nasty a way to go (either an accident while cooking it up or just being a user), but probably responsible for a hell of a lot more deaths on the grand scale of things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:40 pm »

snip.

That's debatable. Probably not as nasty a way to go (either an accident while cooking it up or just being a user), but probably responsible for a hell of a lot more deaths on the grand scale of things.

That's why the sorta was tossed into the mix.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 26, 2012, 05:42:00 pm »

snip.

That's why the sorta was tossed into the mix.

About what I figured, then.

On another note, about to go grab some dinner and dammit I'm paranoid now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #725 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

Hours. You die after hours.

+5 creepy

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #727 on: March 26, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »

A) The quote's a *bit* different.
B) There's a bit about chemical warfare. Can't be arsed to find it :P

Though I did come across this;
  • willful killing, torture or inhumane treatment, including biological experiments.

Thesis; Dwarf Fortress is not in fact a fantasy world simulator, rather a social experiment to see what happens when you put an entire species in the hands of mankind.
    I think we're doing well.
    C) Not even the 3rd person will vaguely imply something anymore.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 26, 2012, 06:09:19 pm »

Iirc the most potent toxin is that of botulism by a fair margin
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #729 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

“It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »

Element? Well, I guess any element with an unstable nucleus would make a delicious cookie...
IIRC, it's non-radioactive.

there is also an element that literally unstitches proteins in the body, causing your cells to simply die off.
which, to say the least, must hurt.

also, biology taught me that cyanide kills by non-competitively inhibiting an enzyme used for metabolic functions, so you'll die of lethergy.
very rapidly.

Cyanide kills because it blocks oxygen from being used in action potentials.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

“It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers

test engineers

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:14 am »

I have a question.

How do they know it's toxic?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:26 am »

Presumably the chemists know enough about chemistry to predict what might occur if it were not such a violent compound.

But back in reality it makes water explode, so that really doesn't matter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 27, 2012, 02:19:16 am »

It has an LD50 so of course it's toxic.

Then again, so does everything else.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 1420