Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372004 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #11835 on: May 06, 2014, 03:27:48 am »

I feel like I wanna go back and try again.

...too tired to download the whole package though. Or lazy, whatever you guys call it. :v
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

I was about to kill a certain boss in Dark Souls 2, the one in the area where you get invaded fucking constantly. They were giving me SO MUCH TROUBLE and there are practically no summon signs there. Just as I was about to kill them, MY FUCKING CONTROLLER DIES. I've never wanted to punch something more in my life. I ended up punching my own fists out of frustration.

I quit Crawl after getting killed by him the umpteenth time. :|
I recommend running from him. If you're sneaky enough, you should be able to spot him before he spots you. You can also skip the floor he's on, too.

I wish I could efficiently run away, but half the time he goes invisible and catches up. Then he kills me. The only time I managed to kill him was when I played as the Missionary of Beogh, having so many orc followers to tank him. :<
You see Sigmund?
You run like heck towards upper stairs.
You run to OTHER downwards stairs/emergency stairs.
You pray and get OUT OF THAT FLOOR AS QUICK AS YOU CAN.
Repeat due to Sigmund being slow.

...Dear goodness be with you if you try to fight him early. :P
Also, seriously. Keep on playing. Sigmund is like your 'grown-up Stone Soup' badge. You'll grow stronger, then you can get up there and beat him! \o/
You see, this is why I switched to Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME4).  None of this stupid undercon unique bullshit.  That said, I did just lose an archmage to a rare with corrupter skills.  My ability to avoid friendly fire got debuffed. While I did kill him, I died the next round as an aether breach exploded right on top of me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:29 am »

Do you see this?
Do you know what this is?

This is a Lobsterman. Its mission in XCOM is to fuck shit up wherever it goes.

It does not panic people.
It does not die in one hit.
It is not a Sectoid.

It is a motherfucking lobsterman.

You cannot battle the lobsterman. It is never alone. It is always accompanied by other, even more violent and aggressive lobstermen, all of which are accompanied by even more.

When you see a lobsterman, do you know what you do?

You stand the fuck still. You chill the fuck out and hope the lobsterman doesn't put you on its list of shit it wants to blast today. You stand right there and wait for it to finish its business and move on with its rampage.

THEN YOU GO THE FUCK BACK TO BASE.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:54:28 pm by IronTomato »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00:49 pm »

StRaNgUlATION!!
(yeah, not sure how that's supposed to sound out loud)

Yay! Swordfight! *takes missile to the face*

What little I remember of that bossfight was unloading any and all automatic weapons on her while strafing around the room. Anything that fires slower than that will result in trouble.
Wait, her?
Okay then I'm not even at the final boss.
Who are you fighting? The mad scientist? If it's him, the same strategy applies. Or to any boss, really.
That guy ain't the end boss, he's the exact middle of the game boss.
Unfortunately, I can't play this on my PS2 anymore. For some reason, the game suddenly locks up for a second when it tries to Geomod the terrain. And the terrain doesn't deform. Oddly I have RF2 on PS2 as well and it works just fine.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: May 06, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »

Yeah, I figured. The arena didn't seem quite well set up enough to be a final boss.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: May 06, 2014, 02:12:09 pm »

Yeah, I figured. The arena didn't seem quite well set up enough to be a final boss.
I found the final boss to be a bit ridiculous though.
Spoiler: Seeing as (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:45 pm »

I was about to kill a certain boss in Dark Souls 2, the one in the area where you get invaded fucking constantly. They were giving me SO MUCH TROUBLE and there are practically no summon signs there. Just as I was about to kill them, MY FUCKING CONTROLLER DIES. I've never wanted to punch something more in my life. I ended up punching my own fists out of frustration.

I quit Crawl after getting killed by him the umpteenth time. :|
I recommend running from him. If you're sneaky enough, you should be able to spot him before he spots you. You can also skip the floor he's on, too.

I wish I could efficiently run away, but half the time he goes invisible and catches up. Then he kills me. The only time I managed to kill him was when I played as the Missionary of Beogh, having so many orc followers to tank him. :<
You see Sigmund?
You run like heck towards upper stairs.
You run to OTHER downwards stairs/emergency stairs.
You pray and get OUT OF THAT FLOOR AS QUICK AS YOU CAN.
Repeat due to Sigmund being slow.

...Dear goodness be with you if you try to fight him early. :P
Also, seriously. Keep on playing. Sigmund is like your 'grown-up Stone Soup' badge. You'll grow stronger, then you can get up there and beat him! \o/
You see, this is why I switched to Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME4).  None of this stupid undercon unique bullshit.  That said, I did just lose an archmage to a rare with corrupter skills.  My ability to avoid friendly fire got debuffed. While I did kill him, I died the next round as an aether breach exploded right on top of me.

Really? That type of thing is a hell of a lot more common in ToME, in my experience. Barring wands, when you encounter a given unique in Crawl, he'll do the same thing this time as he did the last time you met him, or as he will the next time. Whereas some of the rares that can generate in ToME are insane, particularly the Oozemancer and Solipsist ones. And inspecting the talent levels of every one you come across really slows the game down.

Anyway, Sigmund is really a great lesson for new Crawl players that they don't have to fight everything they see. Though I feel like he's been made easier in recent versions; typically if I spot him, I haul ass to the nearest upstairs, heal up, and quaff my way through my stack of unidentified potions until I find something like might, speed, berserk rage, etc, then go back down and beat him to paste.

Dangerous rares in TOME are only dangerous because of their levels of damage mitigation.  That's what makes oozemancers and solipsists so dangerous.  They don't have the significant damage increase compared to the level of the environment they are found in.  Compare that to Crawl's Sigmund, Grinder, Nessos, or Mennas have significant increases in damage potential compared to the levels they are found.  Some, like Grinder, can 1 turn disable and kill you. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: May 06, 2014, 03:57:01 pm »

My first mission on Slient Hunter IV, everything went really well and we were on the way back to base. Then just before I got to base, the game started running badly and I couldn't slow time compression in time. We crashed into the port. Fuuuuuuuuuu-

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:00:05 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11843 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »

Radioed for air transport so that I could avoid the painfully long trek to my next objective.
The chopper arrives.. and promptly flies into a tree, blowing up, and the wreckage falls on me and my team, killing the four of us.
The pilot emerged from the wreck completely unharmed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11844 on: May 06, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

Died of stress in Crusader Kings II, as in literally stress. Coincided with the assassination of the lastborn son, so it's game over.

The poor guy should've just relaxed a little.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: May 06, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

Peter DoWed me at Friendly after trading me construction for . . . calander? Que my wtfing out of the game.

CIV.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11846 on: May 06, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

While I was storming an enemy system with a raid engine that kept stacking ships on a neighboring planet, a 150-ship mark III fleet suddenly jumped in through the one undefended wormhole in my home system and proceeded to blast the command station to dust after a drawn-out fight. This was after they blew up one command center, which I had seen, but then moved further in and blew up a second one before entering my home system. My tech level was only level one. I loaded from the autosave after that and managed to curb the fight in my favor and survive.

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: May 06, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »

I got killed by this delightful thing. I got it down low enough that hitting either health bar would get the kill, and then proceeded to miss three times in a row. Other highlights include all three of my attackers missing in the same combat round twice, and realising I would've won the fight had I not been too impatient to rest and heal up one of my companions. On the plus side, I got loot worth ~24g on the way in from a lucky wandering boss kill, so that was nice.

Therian Saga.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: May 06, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »

I've built a grandiose castle manned by hundreds of soldiers and with superthick walls and laughed at my opponent. In my vanity I didn't put down any wells nor water pots inside the city...

...and then Fire Nation Ballistae attacked.

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: May 06, 2014, 08:59:09 pm »

Grima... was significantly more powerful than I thought he'd be.

Panne: Dealt 2 damage, hit for 36 by Grima's Expiration, then killed by a nearby incredibly weak Grimleal.
Morgan: Dealt 11 damage to Grima, hit critically for 98 damage (she had 55, and was a Taguel).
Gregor: Dealt 0 damage to Grima, was oneshot in return.
Chrom: Dealt 12 damage to Grima, brought to about 4 hp by Grima's Expiration, but managed to survive the next few turns.
Yarne: Dealt 0 damage to Grima, was oneshot in return.
Nowi: Dealt 1 damage to Grima, was oneshot in return.
Nah: Dealt 1 damage to Grima, was oneshot in return.
Frederick: Dealt 12x2=24 damage to Grima, but was killed by a mage a turn later after they crit with Waste twice.
Flavia: Dealt 11 damage to Grima, brought to 3 hp by a gang of Grimleal but healed because holy shit Sol OP. One of the only survivors.
Lon'qu: Dealt huge damage to a bunch of Grimleal, was killed by a lucky crit from a mage using Ruin.

Streetpass Characters:

King Marth - dealt 8 damage to Grima x 2 = 16, was hit for 48 of his 77 hp, then healed that damage off using Aether and Sol in two moves. Narrowly avoided death.
Minerva - Dealt 11 x 2 = 22 damage to Grima, was hit for 34 of her 68 hp.
Larcei - dealt 3 x 4 = 12 damage to Grima, was hit for 42 of her 49 hp.

and lastly, my Avatar, who spammed Book of Naga the entire battle.

Reudh: Dealt 15 x 2 = 30 damage to Grima, was hit for 32 of his 74 hp, then ganged up on by enemy mages. As the Avatar is required to defeat Grima, i got a game over.

Worst part is?

Grima only has 80 hp. he had mages far, far out of my reach spamming Physic (heal a distant ally), healing him for between 16-24 hp a turn. Thankfully, i could just barely damage race them, but even then as Reudh fell I failed.

Total damage to Grima:
30 + 12 + 22 + 16 + 11 + 24 + 1 + 1 + 12 + 11 + 2 = 142 hp.

Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1575