Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371466 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #11805 on: May 03, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »

He might be someone else, this guy was outside.

Anyway I never got far and ragequit after getting Cata'd on by guard dogs, if memory serves.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:18 pm »

These screens roughly depict the rise and fall of Stefender and I.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From there, it was a hop, a skip, and a jump for the AIs to cripple us beyond the ability to resist further. Stefender activated the suicide nuke that flattened our homeworlds and the AIs rolled in and blew the home command stations up.

AI War: Fleet Command. One AI was a bouncer and the other was a Neinzul cluster bomber.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: May 03, 2014, 11:58:32 pm »

He might be someone else, this guy was outside.

Anyway I never got far and ragequit after getting Cata'd on by guard dogs, if memory serves.

The NES Metal Gear is pretty mangled, if that's the one you mean. And NES Metal Gear 2 is nothing to do with the actual MG2 that was released in Japan.

That said, MG2 ties in to MGS much more than the first one if I remember correctly. So, if there's a way to emulate an MSX2 computer, give it a go :D

E: after research, I see that they both tie in with MGS about equally. Depending on how much you know about MGS's plot, you might want to at least see what happens in the first games.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:04:37 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11808 on: May 04, 2014, 12:02:42 am »

My only experience with Metal Gear is playing it on MGS3: Subsistence. It was pretty terrible imho compared to a lot of NES action games I've played.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: May 04, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »

I started up the game with the sole plan of playing an easy one and getting a quick win, just to finally knock off the achievement for actually finishing a game (which, despite owning it for four years, I have not yet done, mainly due to a very short attention span).

I started off, found myself in a corner of the galaxy which I should be able to quickly annex before the (easy) AIs start to take notice of me.  A few planets into my planned annex, however, I stumble across a co-processor.  Not wanting to boost the AI progress up that quickly, I decide to simply neuter it, skip it, and take it later on once I've found the other three co-processors.  No biggie.

I proceed to thrash the AIs out of that quadrant, taking a couple of advanced manufactories while doing so.  Sweet.  Time to scout the rest of the galaxy!

And here's where I slipped up.  I sent out scouts as far as I could, but then, not wanting to waste the knowledge to unlock Mk 2 scouts (and thus get more), I decided to scout the galaxy using my main fleet. After all, I can blow through anything short of a Class IV planet, and I'm only doing this to look around.  As long as I stick to just clearing out tachyon guard posts so my scouts can get through, and avoid attacking anything provocative, no harm, right?

Wrong.

I delved deep into the AI-controlled galaxy, cutting a bloody (well, rusty) swathe through the tachyon guard posts in my path, leaving the route open for my scouts to fan out behind me later.  I found two of the remaining three co-processors - excellent, that's my main objective here, let's just poke my head through a couple more wormholes...

The AI is gathering threat due to your deep strike on NobodyCaresVille.

Huh.  Oh well.  I'm not going to be here long, and it's never going to gather a huge amount of threat this early in the game.

A few minutes pass as I carve up another couple of scouting paths.  Threat builds to 20, then 30.  I figure that's enough, and just nudge through one more wormhole before I plan to scrap my fleet...

It's a Class IV planet.  Aha.  I guess one of the homeworlds is next door somewhere, that's int...

Core Raid Engine Guard Post: 22 Class V ships to [unknown] in 4 minutes.

...ah crap.  Well, time to abort.  I scrap the tattered remnants of my fleet (down to about half a dozen ships at this point).  I'm sure that'll stop any problems at all from ever occurring ever.

About ten minutes pass.

Wait, what's that large number of AI ships marching their way through my now-scouted territories and towards my front door?  I mean, I can handle a few dozen ships, which is all this looks like, but...

Mk V ships.

Including three Mk V starships.  Which are immune to tractor beams and therefore pretty much immune to my carefully-constructed turret-based defences around my homeworld.

They tear through my defensive line like it was wet tissue paper.  For a moment I thought I'd earned a reprieve, as I manage to churn out a dozen Mk V sniper ships from my captured factories.  They take out two of the starships, but the last one is a plasma sieger, and I see it go down onto 3% health just as its final shot connects squarely with my home command base, whose forcefield has long since been destroyed.

There is an explosion, a musical shift, and then the mocking voice of the AI.

Player A not responding: Abort, Retry, Fail?

Fail.  Definitely, definitely fail.

Lesson learned: do your scouting with scouts.  You muppet.

Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: May 04, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »

Sitting in the spawn, about fifteen seconds after the game starts, I'm driving along and the heavy behind me decides to fire off a round in front of me. It slams into my rear and sets my fuel tank on fire, killing me before I can react and use my fire extinguisher. Gee, thanks Mr. Heavy. It's not like you needed the Hellcat on your team anyways, and it's certainly not like I wanted to actually, oh I dunno. Play the fucking game. -_-

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: May 04, 2014, 09:53:00 pm »

It's annoying when you're right behind someone who likes to fire random shells, since they do lots of damage to you fairly often. At least it happens a lot less in higher tiers, since there's less ammo to spare for the tanks that will really hurt you.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: May 05, 2014, 02:18:06 pm »

Died many time before I could figure out Vamp's attack pattern. Died more times before I could figure out a way to gimp his attack pattern into a way that works for me. Took me several more times before I could reach his final attack.

Learned you could hit for extra damage by apparently landing a shot into the bullet hole in his head.

Restarted the game with the bandanna. Decided that I didn't care about being discovered anymore. Instantly got wrecked by three guards.

Metal Gear Solid.
Always loved how stupidly lethal the guards were in MGS.
I always just keep tossing stun grenades. Generally, you ought to have enough to keep them all out cold the whole way up.
It made sense since it was a stealth game, but then they have the bloody Communications Tower. I probably died more on that part than any other part in all Metal Gear games combined.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: May 05, 2014, 05:08:24 pm »

This final boss though. A two hit kill attack that goes through walls and also he's immune to bullets and also dodges out of the way of any grenades or rockets I try. I'm sure there's a clever way to solve this but I will probably win the lottery without buying a ticket beore I find the solution.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

"Alright, turn 2, first mission, I'll probably spot some sectoids this turn, so move 3 of my guys up into heavy cover and put them into overwatch, run my fourth guy up to heavy cover."

>Trigger 4 sectoids

"Alright, they're gonna die to overwatch."

>All 3 overwatch miss

"Alright, X-COM accuracy"

>ALIENS TURN

>All 4 sectoids decide to shoot
>All 4 sectoids crit for 6, instakilling all 4 of my guys
>TPK on the first mission

>Fuck this, I'm gonna play TFTD instead.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: May 05, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »

This final boss though. A two hit kill attack that goes through walls and also he's immune to bullets and also dodges out of the way of any grenades or rockets I try. I'm sure there's a clever way to solve this but I will probably win the lottery without buying a ticket beore I find the solution.

What little I remember of that bossfight was unloading any and all automatic weapons on her while strafing around the room. Anything that fires slower than that will result in trouble.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

What little I remember of that bossfight was unloading any and all automatic weapons on her while strafing around the room. Anything that fires slower than that will result in trouble.
Wait, her?
Okay then I'm not even at the final boss.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: May 05, 2014, 06:20:28 pm »

Wait, her?
Okay then I'm not even at the final boss.
Who are you fighting? The mad scientist? If it's him, the same strategy applies. Or to any boss, really.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: May 05, 2014, 08:27:39 pm »

Load my game after not playing for many months. See a fountain. Drink from the fountain.

Code: [Select]
The water is contaminated!
You die...

From full HP to dead in three turns.

Nethack.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: May 05, 2014, 09:49:35 pm »

NEVER drink fountain. In my limited experience...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1575