Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7799 7800 [7801] 7802 7803 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457356 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117000 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:30 am »

Antibiotic resistance is going to be a BIG problem for poverty-line Africans, believe me.
One wheel short of a wagon

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117001 on: January 21, 2017, 11:54:33 am »

We could eliminate carbon-based life to reduce food demand. Just an idea.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117002 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:11 am »

Antibiotic resistance is going to be a BIG problem for poverty-line Africans, believe me.
I know you're being sarcastic but yeah, them and poverty-line Indians are going to be the first hard hit, especially since antibiotic resistance drastically increases the cost of treatment for disease

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117003 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:19 pm »

SO basically what you're saying is, to diminish world hunger, we need to depopulate Africa, because there's no way in hell they are going to be able to sustain their food needs, especially when their population quadruples over the next decades (and the rest of the world can't physically produce enough excess grain to export to them)?

Well maybe not that far. But they're not going to feed the population based on locally-growable crops. For example, in Democratic Republic of Congo, 66% of the population is employed as farmers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo
The agricultural sector supports two-thirds of the population. ... Land under annual or perennial crops constitutes only 3.5 percent of the total land area. ... . Agriculture is divided into two basic sectors: subsistence, which employs the vast majority of the work force, and commercial, which is export-oriented and conducted on plantations. ... Domestic food production is insufficient to meet the country's needs, and many basic food products have to be imported.

Just put those things together and think about the big picture. Almost 2/3rds of the people in the entire country are involved in trying to produce enough to eat, yet even with that, they have to import more than is produced. Sure, only 3.5% of the country is farmed so we might suggest they increase that, but the problem there is labor. Tropic crops are basically 100% subsistence. The surpluses that Congo makes to import other foods actually come from mining and export-oriented crops such as commercial coffee plantations. If you send more people to farm for food, you'd actually shrink the economy.

So what the problem Africa had historically wasn't caused by lack of trying. It's that until recently there was no such thing as globalized trade. Exporting coffee and minerals is what's making any production surpluses there, not farming tips from clever Europeans.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:44:44 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #117004 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »

Er, maybe not as much. The US produces far, far more food than even our fat asses can eat. The average American throws away a full quarter of what they buy without eating it. That doesn't count what gets left on the shelves, what goes bad in warehouses, what gets destroyed in shipping, what gets trashed in handling, what gets stripped out and pitched in processing, and what gets left behind in the fields. All told, we throw away 40%+ of the food we create. The problem isn't one of production, it's transportation, distribution, and economics. We see food as a commodity, not a right, and that's part of the problem.

At this moment in time, I agree. WHen world population hit 11 billion in 2100, as predicted by very optimistic studies, of which 5 billion will live in Africa, instead of the about 1.5 billion they have now, I don't think we will be able to produce enough food for everyone, even if it was regarded as a basic right, and transport issues were all solved.

Well, yeah, except if we cut down all the rainforests and replace the natives with genetically engineered superfarmers
That seems extremely unlikely to me.   You're saying that the world's non-African population will drop by ~half a billion while the African population will more than quadruple despite the fact that you are also forecasting food shortages in that same place.  All of this will happen in the space of ~84 years.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117005 on: January 21, 2017, 01:08:36 pm »

Also not cool saying Africans need to be genetically engineered to do stuff :(

Yeah, that's beyond ridiculous (and really problematic that a Dutch person would be saying that due to the history of colonization and racism in Africa by Dutch and Belgians). What are these superfarmers going to do, robotically plant more taro and yams? The core problem is that the physical effort to farm the crops that are viable in the example I gave of Congo doesn't produce energy surpluses to do anything or support anyone who's not a farmer. If it did, then the problem would resolve itself. 3.5% of Congo is cultivated because only 3.5% of the land is viable to be cultivated. They've had 1000 years of that type of farming to exploit all the land that's capable of being cultivated. If you made "superfarmers" who could work harder they'd also need to eat more to maintain that level of work, and you'd be pushing out into lands which the locals already know are below the subsistence level given the types of crop you can grow.

The problem is that almost everyone in African nations are going full-bore farming already. Yet they still have shortages of enough to eat. And it's not like European colonists haven't tried to bring in modern agriculture and crops, it just doesn't work. Those subsistence farmers are all basically competing with each other, it's survival of the fittest, and the best that's achievable is "barely hanging on". If any one farmer could get an edge through different techniques, well they'd out-populate the farmers with poorer techniques very quickly and the other farmers would borrow their ideas very quickly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:19:26 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117006 on: January 21, 2017, 01:48:51 pm »

Also not cool saying Africans need to be genetically engineered to do stuff :(

Yeah, that's beyond ridiculous. What are these superfarmers going to do, robotically plant more taro and yams? The problem is that almost everyone in African nations are going full-bore farming already. Yet it barely feeds more than 1 person. And it's not like European colonists haven't tried to bring in modern agriculture and crops, it just doesn't work. Those subsistence farmers are all basically competing with each other, it's survival of the fittest, and the best that's achievable is "barely hanging on".
Yo European agriculture did work

Just look at the case of Zimbabwe. European colonists colonized Zimbabwe calling it Rhodesia, and it was the breadbasket of Africa, producing everything from cereals to maize and even cash crops like tobacco. Mugabe comes along and fucks all their shit up; some people talk about how his persecution of white farmers fucked up Rhodesia but he could've (or rather, someone competent) could've done land reform successfully. The goal was to take away economic dominance of Zimbabwe's industry from the white minority and give it back to the black majority, however this was not what completely fucked up Zimbabwe's agriculture. Sure agriculture would've taken a dive with the loss of wealthy and skilled supervisors but in the long term Zimbabwe had good options. Zimbabwe had a whole class of educated black citizens who were the ones who worked on the very self-same farms that the whites profited from under colonial rule; obviously these citizens weren't in need of European education or high-tech equipment, they had all they needed to take over agriculture successfully. Problem is Mugabe was a paranoid git more concerned with his own power than his nation, and like Stalin did to Kulaks, for the imagined treason of supporting this guy democratically, got fucked over. Kidnappings, expulsions, torture by the green bombers under the banner that they were supporting whites, loads of educated black farmers got wrecked, whilst their farms were given over to loyal soldiers, officials, friends and family members who saw the farms as prestige items but otherwise had no idea how to run a farm. Starving to death his opponents is as much a deliberate strategy as a result of incompetence and corruption.

Compare the failures of Zimbabwe with the success of Nigeria. Whilst Nigeria has problems with corruption (and princes), it is not nearly the same level as with Zimbabwe, and its government is relatively stable with rule of law at the very least not impeding farmers, and instead, the state helping them. So you see stuff where Nigeria reduced their tariff rate on agricultural machinery to 0% to increase foreign imports of commercial farming machines, government subsidized rice mills, government subsidized fertilizer for poor farmers, road, rail and port development so farmers have better access to markets and the national bank reserving capital for agricultural loans with interest rates at half the commercial rate so even poor Nigerian farmers have access to capital needed to run a large farm. I'm not saying Nigeria's at the point where it's a proper garden of eden without criticisms to mention, but it's certainly the case that in the near-future it could become a net exporter of food and set an example of how to put the sheer mass of arable land it has at its disposal to efficient and sustainable use:
Consider, for example, Africa’s agricultural land. According to an influential recent analysis, Africa has around 600 million hectares of uncultivated arable land, roughly 60 percent of the global total.
It may not be the case that Africa is overpopulated, rather, that its land is underutilized

Highly amusing and relevant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think more than ever, Europeans must learn African values, despite the expectation of it being the reverse

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117007 on: January 21, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »

That ought to be common sense. Large families are a necessity in a pre-industrial agricultural society, you can't industrialize without strong and efficient ag to create a food surplus, and you can't transition to a small-family structure as the norm until you have a predominantly urban civilization with decent labor rights. What has been done re: population control in Africa totally ignores the necessary generations of buildup and development that make small families more advantageous.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117008 on: January 21, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »

So to sum up this latest topic: people try to treat Africa like Europe and are surprised when it doesn't work.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117009 on: January 21, 2017, 02:45:18 pm »

That ought to be common sense. Large families are a necessity in a pre-industrial agricultural society, you can't industrialize without strong and efficient ag to create a food surplus, and you can't transition to a small-family structure as the norm until you have a predominantly urban civilization with decent labor rights. What has been done re: population control in Africa totally ignores the necessary generations of buildup and development that make small families more advantageous.
Exactly. Except Rwanda. Rwanda is actually overpopulated

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #117010 on: January 21, 2017, 03:17:56 pm »

BFEL is the one that made the big all-caps sarcasm post right? Cos I reckon that's what got him done in, that and a past history I'm unaware of
Now if only Toady would ban all the no-caps posters, they're the real problem here. Urgh.
I Know Right?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117011 on: January 21, 2017, 04:22:07 pm »

I never said Africans need to be genetically engineered. I made an absurdistic remark about natives of rainforests being genetically engineered to become superfarmers. When I say rainforest I tend to think of South America, not Africa, and it was just in response to the comment about 'can't do that, preserve the rainforest'. Please don't twist my words.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117012 on: January 21, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »

When I say rainforest I tend to think of South America, not Africa
Too bad the Hovitos don’t know you like I do, Martinuzz.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117013 on: January 21, 2017, 05:12:11 pm »

Neuroscience is so poor at explaining systems, it can't even explain an atari 2600 processor.

absurdist quote
The only way to fix desertification & create more rainforests is to start condensing water on a large scale, supplementing plants. This is going to take a few years, but we should survive uninterrupted for at least two years, barring an asteroid strike.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117014 on: January 21, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »

I never said Africans need to be genetically engineered. I made an absurdistic remark about natives of rainforests being genetically engineered to become superfarmers. When I say rainforest I tend to think of South America, not Africa, and it was just in response to the comment about 'can't do that, preserve the rainforest'. Please don't twist my words.

I almost think it's the opposite, though, and the reason for humans ever becoming civilized was living in biomes where agriculture became necessary.  Once that became necessary, then you had to invent all kinds of other technology to do things like keep that grown food from spoiling (like letting cats move in to control vermin since they also were entirely uninterested in your vegetable food), brewing alcohol, etc. 

Many of the "primitive" cultures that still exist do so in biomes where food is abundant and hunting and gathering entirely sufficient to preserve life. 

It's hard to talk about these specific issues without inadvertently coming across as racist somehow, and to be really clear, I don't think you did that.  I do think, though, that it's kind of the opposite, and people living in very food-rich biomes tend not to be farmers and so long as their culture succeeds doing this, it just isn't going to change.  This is why you have these really old cultures that never became "civilized" in the strictly modern sense.

(Nothing racist intended here, this isn't "better" or "worse," it's just something that is.)
Pages: 1 ... 7799 7800 [7801] 7802 7803 ... 11040