Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7796 7797 [7798] 7799 7800 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457594 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116955 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:15 pm »

Toady stated in the thread BFEL has a lot of past infractions, so I'm not surprised it came down as a ban this time.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116956 on: January 20, 2017, 07:46:04 pm »

Toady stated in the thread BFEL has a lot of past infractions, so I'm not surprised it came down as a ban this time.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the past infractions that BFEL had.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116957 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »

Unless said infractions result in a temporary muting there really isn't much to be aware of. Toady might make a "I deleted the flamewar now everyone calm down" post when he's doing the moderating thing, but the warnings are sent in private.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116958 on: January 20, 2017, 08:12:23 pm »

Aren't mutes in the moderation log for the duration of the mute?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116959 on: January 20, 2017, 08:18:12 pm »

Aren't mutes in the moderation log for the duration of the mute?

Yeah. Once they expire though people rarely remember them and they aren't recorded anywhere except The Great Toady One's moderation log.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #116960 on: January 20, 2017, 09:11:52 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the past infractions that BFEL had.
Well I mean I'm sure he'd been warned.  As Sirus notes warns are private, so we are not in the position to judge. He'd been rather uncooperative in the thread for a while, so while I missed what caused it I can't say I'm surprised. Oh well, he had been a neat DF player.

It is sad, but not unexpected.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116961 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:28 pm »

Crazy, I hadn't even seen BFEL in ages and then I wake up this morning and he's banned. :-\

BFEL is the one that made the big all-caps sarcasm post right? Cos I reckon that's what got him done in, that and a past history I'm unaware of
Now if only Toady would ban all the no-caps posters, they're the real problem here. Urgh.

Book talk: I'm not sure I ever read Narnia, might have read the first book or two I think. After that, I either got bored or couldn't get hold of the other books as a kid. Speaking of childhood reading, I'm rather proud of my past self for never liking that Harry Potter garbage that was so popular... I remember haughtily looking down my nose at all the other kids for reading it, before sticking said nose back into LoTR, Raymond Feist's early novels or an assortment of ultraviolent westerns.
Good on you, past-self. :)   

Oh and for a while I started liking Terry Pratchett, before I got really, really sick of all the Mary/Marty Sues.
This was before I'd ever even heard the term "Mary Sue", too. I still like The Amazing Maurice, though, that's gotta be his best book.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116962 on: January 20, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »

I used to read Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series. The first book was kind of dumb, but still readable. Around book three he started putting in weird right-wing rants, and strawmen and stand-ins for various leftist ideologies such as a town of pacifists/isolationists literally led by a blindfolded child. I read them at an age where I had zero critical reading skills, and I still thought they were really dumb author tracts by the end. Looking back though, it had an army of BDSM leather ninjas in the first book, so it wasn't a downward slope into stupidity so much as a lateral shift.

I'm pretty sure he started copy-pasting rants between books, too. I remember them being pages long.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116963 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:42 pm »

To contribute to the nostalgic book talk, I quite liked Harry Potter when they began to arrive. It became a bit of the fad, but I enjoyed being 'with it' while it lasted. Earlier, of course, there had been Narnia, and a few classics, like the Illiad and the Odyssey. Also a collection of standard fairy tales and some of the main Viking tales. I also had a few Bible doses (treated a bit like a vitamin, taken now and then in small doses for general education) here and there, but there was never really any pressure. I had a little book that was essentially a children's highlight reel of the Bible, which I quite liked. On reflection, it's hardly a wonder that I proved to be fertile ground for Narnia...

And, of course, a generous helping of Astrid Lindgren's main works, with about thrice my bodyweight of Donald Duck comics.

The funny thing is, I gave Lord of the Rings a go, since I really liked The Hobbit, but it never clicked, it and I, not until my late teens. It just never got rolling, there was always another long and stodgy bump in the road. 'Chapter 9, in which the party nearly sets off, but Sam forgets to notify the milkman and Pippin sing a 3-page song about bread'. I can appreciate that sort of slow, meandering story now, but it was a bit much for a mediocre nine-year-old. The Hobbit got going and back home again in the time it took Mr. Frodo to change his underpants, it felt like.
Of course, later came the films. I really liked them and knew I ought not to. Deciding to like them anyway was a choice I still remember making.

About the only poetry I read were the Tales of Ensign Stål, which I still have around and read now and then. Not always popular to mention in public, I learned. A lot of teachers saw problematic, maybe nationalistic old war stories in it, but I still think that book beat the hell out of 'Sune has an arguement with his parents and gets lost in the woods like an idiot' and the other such class-mandated material.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #116964 on: January 20, 2017, 10:35:36 pm »

Honestly, I don't really see where all the hate for Harry Potter comes from. I mean, it's not exactly a work of art, and it hasn't really been my thing in like six years, but it's not bad, per se. Is it just backlash because the books are/were popular? People who took away nothing from the series but the crappy romance of the last two or three books and Deathly Hallows's cheap ending?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116965 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:29 pm »

Probably a victim of "It's Popular So It Sucks" syndrome, along with some of what you mentioned. A work of art it might not be, but J.K. Rowling did a reasonably good job of tying everything together and it's a competent work of fiction.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116966 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:03 pm »

I still have fond memories of the books, although the excessive grimdark of the last two or three did kinda get to me.

I don't know why Lord of the Rings doesn't click for me, but it doesn't. I don't dislike it, I just don't get the obsession. I chalk it up to generally preferring sci-fi over fantasy.

Actual WTF news: According to the Funny Quotes thread, I once posted:

I don't clean my peen.

The thread it was in has since been nuked, and I have no idea why I would have posted this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:18:16 pm by itisnotlogical »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116967 on: January 20, 2017, 11:24:54 pm »

It was incredibly overrated and became the series kids were encouraged to read over so many better things.
Also J.K. Rowling is now erroneously regarded as a good author and has a grossly inflated ego because of it. ::)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116968 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:22 pm »

It was incredibly overrated and became the series kids were encouraged to read over so many better things.
Also J.K. Rowling is now erroneously regarded as a good author and has a grossly inflated ego because of it. ::)   

What's wrong with the books?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116969 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »

I just want to say that I'm pretty sure this whole book conversation has become unnecessarily nasty and honestly it's weirding me out. Like the only book I've ever gotten particularly rude about is so far beyond 'beating a dead horse' status it's not even funny. Can someone explain this or? Is it one of those things some people just 'do'? I'm confused?

Also when I type 'wtf' the next word my kindle suggests is 'taliban' which is a wtf
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 7796 7797 [7798] 7799 7800 ... 11040