Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7798 7799 [7800] 7801 7802 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457368 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116985 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:08 am »

Sadly, it really is a problem. There's many Dutch farmers that went to Africa to share knowledge and bring high tech equipment, only to find there's not enough educated people to understand the tech, and the machines are stripped for scrap metal by locals the minute you look away. I still don't think that the world can produce enough food to feed many more people than we already have, but surely Africa could produce much more of their own food if they only set their minds on it.

The problem is that wheat-belt crops don't grow in the tropics. Basically, all the "grain" type crops come from a single type of climate, which has a rainy spring and a warm, dry winter, so they drop dry seeds and wait for the rain to come again. Basically they were adapted to farm crops without any real effort. Bananas, taro and yams are what traditionally grows in between the two wheat belts, and those don't conveniently drop dry seeds that you can store and eat. Basically the ancient empire's boundaries were the wheat belt: anything too far north or south was never conquered because you couldn't grow anything viable there.

That's the reason the Mediterranean cultures stayed around the Mediterranean. Basically all the farming tech they had was useless to push south into Africa. Eventually, the Bantu worked out the Taro/Yams based farming system, which spread out of west Africa, but like I said, that had serious logistical limitations that no amount of trial and error could fix.

BTW if you give expensive high tech farming equipment to subsistence farmers, it's not their fault if they can't make a go of it. It was just extremely badly thought-out, not the locals fault. Combine harvesters and the like need large economies of scale and complex maintenance requirements. Probably what actually happened was that your guys didn't service the equipment, it broke down and the locals had no way to fix it.

"If only they set their minds to it" is actually pretty racist sorry. Almost the entire populations of those nations have a history of 100% subsistence farming. The plain fact is that tropical crops have very low calorie and protein yields compared to "Mediterranean" type crops, so surpluses have always been smaller, thus there's been little free energy to boost other sectors of the economy over the centuries. Wheat and rice give large energy surpluses vs work required to farm it, that's why wheat and rice-based civilizations dominated everyone else. Not through "setting their minds to it".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:56:18 am by Reelya »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116986 on: January 21, 2017, 04:09:49 am »

Now if only Toady would ban all the no-caps posters, they're the real problem here. Urgh.

caps are an antiquated, obsolete relic. get with the times, old man

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #116987 on: January 21, 2017, 04:39:48 am »

Man, you people weren't worried for no reason a week or two back, my activity has been really dropping off recently. Wonder what's with that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116988 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:44 am »

Now if only Toady would ban all the no-caps posters, they're the real problem here. Urgh.

caps are an antiquated, obsolete relic. get with the times, old man
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116989 on: January 21, 2017, 05:31:55 am »

I learned that there is going to be an emoji movie, and that one of the characters is the poop emoji, and the poop emoji is going to be played by Patrick Stewart.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116990 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:54 am »

I learned that there is going to be an emoji movie, and that one of the characters is the poop emoji, and the poop emoji is going to be played by Patrick Stewart.
Black hole suuuuuuun, won't you come and wash away the raaaaaain  :'( :'( :'(
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116991 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:40 am »

Tis truly the end times
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:33:19 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116992 on: January 21, 2017, 08:11:30 am »

Sadly, it really is a problem. There's many Dutch farmers that went to Africa to share knowledge and bring high tech equipment, only to find there's not enough educated people to understand the tech, and the machines are stripped for scrap metal by locals the minute you look away. I still don't think that the world can produce enough food to feed many more people than we already have, but surely Africa could produce much more of their own food if they only set their minds on it.

The problem is that wheat-belt crops don't grow in the tropics. Basically, all the "grain" type crops come from a single type of climate, which has a rainy spring and a warm, dry winter, so they drop dry seeds and wait for the rain to come again. Basically they were adapted to farm crops without any real effort. Bananas, taro and yams are what traditionally grows in between the two wheat belts, and those don't conveniently drop dry seeds that you can store and eat. Basically the ancient empire's boundaries were the wheat belt: anything too far north or south was never conquered because you couldn't grow anything viable there.

That's the reason the Mediterranean cultures stayed around the Mediterranean. Basically all the farming tech they had was useless to push south into Africa. Eventually, the Bantu worked out the Taro/Yams based farming system, which spread out of west Africa, but like I said, that had serious logistical limitations that no amount of trial and error could fix.

BTW if you give expensive high tech farming equipment to subsistence farmers, it's not their fault if they can't make a go of it. It was just extremely badly thought-out, not the locals fault. Combine harvesters and the like need large economies of scale and complex maintenance requirements. Probably what actually happened was that your guys didn't service the equipment, it broke down and the locals had no way to fix it.

"If only they set their minds to it" is actually pretty racist sorry. Almost the entire populations of those nations have a history of 100% subsistence farming. The plain fact is that tropical crops have very low calorie and protein yields compared to "Mediterranean" type crops, so surpluses have always been smaller, thus there's been little free energy to boost other sectors of the economy over the centuries. Wheat and rice give large energy surpluses vs work required to farm it, that's why wheat and rice-based civilizations dominated everyone else. Not through "setting their minds to it".
SO basically what you're saying is, to diminish world hunger, we need to depopulate Africa, because there's no way in hell they are going to be able to sustain their food needs, especially when their population quadruples over the next decades (and the rest of the world can't physically produce enough excess grain to export to them)?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116993 on: January 21, 2017, 08:35:23 am »

Probably a victim of "It's Popular So It Sucks" syndrome, along with some of what you mentioned. A work of art it might not be, but J.K. Rowling did a reasonably good job of tying everything together and it's a competent work of fiction.

Good god, no. This is both why people hate it and why it's neck-and-neck with Naruto for most-fanfic'd work. It's absolutely full of holes and shit that doesn't make sense, and only worked because it was a children's series that nostalgia-hooked most of the readerbase before they developed critical thinking skills. When a work is exceptionally well strung together and self-contained you don't tend to see much being written about it because there's nothing major, mechanically speaking, to complain about or use as the basis for a story.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116994 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:56 am »

Er, maybe not as much. The US produces far, far more food than even our fat asses can eat. The average American throws away a full quarter of what they buy without eating it. That doesn't count what gets left on the shelves, what goes bad in warehouses, what gets destroyed in shipping, what gets trashed in handling, what gets stripped out and pitched in processing, and what gets left behind in the fields. All told, we throw away 40%+ of the food we create. The problem isn't one of production, it's transportation, distribution, and economics. We see food as a commodity, not a right, and that's part of the problem.

A much more viable solution to the "between the grain belts" problem, one that doesn't involve the word "depopulate" at any rate, is to engineer a crop that grows in a tropical climate, is simple to grow, and is high yield. We have two that are excellent candidates for that: certain types of corn and rice. I realize that another major issue with agriculture  is that the tropics aren't exactly the sweeping plains that large swaths of Europe and North America are, and those rainforests need to be preserved.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116995 on: January 21, 2017, 08:47:04 am »

Er, maybe not as much. The US produces far, far more food than even our fat asses can eat. The average American throws away a full quarter of what they buy without eating it. That doesn't count what gets left on the shelves, what goes bad in warehouses, what gets destroyed in shipping, what gets trashed in handling, what gets stripped out and pitched in processing, and what gets left behind in the fields. All told, we throw away 40%+ of the food we create. The problem isn't one of production, it's transportation, distribution, and economics. We see food as a commodity, not a right, and that's part of the problem.

At this moment in time, I agree. WHen world population hit 11 billion in 2100, as predicted by very optimistic studies, of which 5 billion will live in Africa, instead of the about 1.5 billion they have now, I don't think we will be able to produce enough food for everyone, even if it was regarded as a basic right, and transport issues were all solved.

Well, yeah, except if we cut down all the rainforests and replace the natives with genetically engineered superfarmers
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116996 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:12 am »

A much more viable solution to the "between the grain belts" problem, one that doesn't involve the word "depopulate" at any rate, is to engineer a crop that grows in a tropical climate, is simple to grow, and is high yield. We have two that are excellent candidates for that: certain types of corn and rice. I realize that another major issue with agriculture  is that the tropics aren't exactly the sweeping plains that large swaths of Europe and North America are, and those rainforests need to be preserved.
Maybe not rice. Too much water is needed

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116997 on: January 21, 2017, 11:43:09 am »

I liked Harry Potter not because of how solid the story was but because it did such a good job of painting a whimsical and magical world.

There was so much flavor to everything that happened.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116998 on: January 21, 2017, 11:44:57 am »

Maybe not rice. Too much water is needed

We can grow it in Seattle.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116999 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:03 am »

SO basically what you're saying is, to diminish world hunger, we need to depopulate Africa, because there's no way in hell they are going to be able to sustain their food needs, especially when their population quadruples over the next decades (and the rest of the world can't physically produce enough excess grain to export to them)?
Alternatively, urbanize Africa and make it more efficient
With dense clusters of urban Africa, more specialization and advanced economies grow, birthrates lower because cities are weird and education and all that, and reduces environmental impact and shit

Either that or antibiotic resistant superbugs kill most of the world population in a 2nd Spain flu
Pages: 1 ... 7798 7799 [7800] 7801 7802 ... 11040