Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6761 6762 [6763] 6764 6765 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432806 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101430 on: April 27, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »

I stopped regular donations to Toady with 2012, and will resume when the source is open.
No offense meant or anything, but you will probably wait forever since he has stated numerous times how he's not going to make open source.
Eh, I think he will eventually.  Probably when donations drop low enough that it's an unsustainable project.
I mean, right now, I'm outvoted.  People are happy to support it as it is.  I'm simply waiting, and occasionally arguing that it would be much better if it were open.  And I think he would actually get more donations if the game was made accessible by open-source contributors, but who knows.  Maybe giving those contributors literally no support is the best way for the game to succeed.

@Putnam
It made the entire military system unusable for DF veterans, without extensive learning of a new unintuitive and pointless system.

1. that was 2010
2. a lot of the issue was that it was buggy as hell, which it really isn't anymore and it's basically in a fine enough position that you can almost fire-and-forget with it now
1: Ah, my mistake
2: Well no, the interface makes no fucking sense if you just want to make a dwarf stop running away from a rabbit.
And it barely makes sense if you want to make some dwarves into a squad and have them train.  Just... come on, look at how many people didn't get it.  It's not intuitive.  It's absurd.  The solution CAN be memorized, that doesn't make it good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101431 on: April 27, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »

About the interface: TBH I see no trouble in learning at least the basics. About the most troublesome aspect to me is  army and training but then again I've never bothered too much with that because I favor impregnability and traps over having an army.

The biggest single problem with DF for me is the same as ever: FPS death. Less severe now with my i5, but still present. I still have to consider carefully where to embark&etc.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #101432 on: April 27, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »

Tarn Adams sold out, man. Such a shame.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101433 on: April 27, 2016, 04:56:40 pm »

Eh, don't know about open source DF. I'd personaly be a bit miffed if whats basically the work of ~10 years of my life was just given away to the public. I can understand why he wouldn't do it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101434 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:25 pm »

2: Well no, the interface makes no fucking sense if you just want to make a dwarf stop running away from a rabbit.

An update from a year or two ago (like, 0.40.14 or something, maybe?) allows you to add dwarves to squads from the [v]iew screen, so that's a lot easier now.

And it barely makes sense if you want to make some dwarves into a squad and have them train.  Just... come on, look at how many people didn't get it.  It's not intuitive.  It's absurd.  The solution CAN be memorized, that doesn't make it good.

[m]ilitary->[c]reate squad->put the dwarves in a squad->[a]lerts->highlight active/trainining->set the squad you just made to that

that's all you need to do, anyone who talks about setting the minimum to two or they won't train or whatever is just wrong

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101435 on: April 27, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »

On a related note, one of my friends had Win 10 tell him 'All your files are exactly where you left them' on boot. That seems suspicious.
If your friend liked the Microsoft Games of earlier OS versions (Solitaire, Minesweeper, Freecell etc.), they're in for a disappointment. The games are replaced by a version that either takes a paid subscription or shows unskippable ads before play. Even grabbing the old games onto a flash drive before upgrading won't work: the files have an OS version check.

What.

That pretty much seals it, definitely not getting Windows 10 here.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #101436 on: April 27, 2016, 05:25:08 pm »

I mean, its also got a memory leak, which is the reason I restart my pc every day now.  There are fixes which seemed to help a lot.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #101437 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:56 pm »

I stopped regular donations to Toady with 2012, and will resume when the source is open.

Umm...

If you want it to be open-source, then pay up. This is literally his only income. If he's feeling good about it for quite a while, he might give some of it up. If he's worried, not a bit of code will be posted.

((is a hypocrite because doesn't donate))

((isn't actually a hypocrite because doesn't actually have money))
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101438 on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:31 pm »

I paid once, but I don't have all that much money either. Still, it's probably the only game I've voluntarily paid money for.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101439 on: April 27, 2016, 05:57:18 pm »

Once I have money, I will probably give Toady some of it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101440 on: April 27, 2016, 06:02:21 pm »

i think open source df would be a good thing overall. however, im pretty worried about what the community would do to the game. in all likelihood there would be one or two main forks, but it also seems very likely that they would quickly be consumed with bloat and have the code quality go down a lot very quickly.

open source games have to be carefully managed with regards to what features to merge. crawl is a good example of properly managing an open source game.

maybe i should start my own fork/reich when/if the code is made open source and see if anybody is willing to put up with endless game design arguments and help me with it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101441 on: April 27, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »

I have neither donated, nor do I have the money, nor do I play DF regularly. However I DO have strong opinions on the matter, so allow me to blabber about them to you.
...Later.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101442 on: April 27, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Heh. Speaking of upgrading to Win10, I actually physically can't because I'm running an OEM windows 8.1. So while it bugs me to update ever day, it won't untill I feed it an activation code because I changed out my motherboard for one whose PCE-I sockets aren't fried (by my own fault, admittedly)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101443 on: April 27, 2016, 06:06:31 pm »

Carly Fiorinas snippet of a song about Ted Cruz's daughters is kind of a wtf.....

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #101444 on: April 27, 2016, 07:01:03 pm »

I intend to send Toady a couple bucks for his birthday sometime. He's more than earned it. I just don't have the cash to send him any quite yet. :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 6761 6762 [6763] 6764 6765 ... 11039