Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6762 6763 [6764] 6765 6766 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14429160 times)

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101445 on: April 27, 2016, 07:40:35 pm »

I tried to turn on the computer and it turned off...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101446 on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:31 pm »

open source games have to be carefully managed with regards to what features to merge. crawl is a good example of properly managing an open source game.

there are a few arguments against open source but "the code quality would go down" really isn't one of them lol

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101447 on: April 27, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »

Eh, don't know about open source DF. I'd personaly be a bit miffed if whats basically the work of ~10 years of my life was just given away to the public. I can understand why he wouldn't do it.

Latest Toady interview I checked, [One of]the reasons he doesn't make DF open-source is because at that point he'd basically be managing a dev team and that's something he doesn't care for. So he doesn't. I can respect that.

I'd also say the DF GUI is becoming better. Having recently played 23a, the newer military system is far far better then it used to be. Of course, the only military button being "All dwarves grab a random object and immediately charge to their deaths in glorious battle" would be better then 23a'system in a lot of ways. And I never found things terribly obtuse, or at least not resistant to "Try every button on the leopard and see what works" style learning. And the new workshop and work order stuff sounds incredibly convenient.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101448 on: April 27, 2016, 08:08:53 pm »

Yeah, the GUI may be ugly and intimidating, but hard it isn't. And it has been getting better, for instance: we got reaction descriptions now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #101449 on: April 27, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »

Who cares what Toady wants? It's about what's best for the art. If Dwarf Fortress would be best as an open source game, then Toady needs to suck it up and become a manager. Anything less is selfish.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101450 on: April 27, 2016, 09:28:46 pm »

Who cares what Toady wants? It's about what's best for the art. If Dwarf Fortress would be best as an open source game, then Toady needs to suck it up and become a manager. Anything less is selfish.
You're joking, right?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #101451 on: April 27, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »

I am always serious. He's basically sacrificing the good of the game to get a more enjoyable job that pays more, since all the donations get funneled to him. What gives him the right?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101452 on: April 27, 2016, 09:34:08 pm »

Uhh...
He's making the game, he can do what he wants with it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101453 on: April 27, 2016, 09:35:23 pm »

Penguin is just a troll, don't take her too seriously.

Also clicking though links takes me back to people talking about the military system god knows how long ago. To randomly chime in on a probably dead conversation, although it takes some getting use to I really like the new military system. The power it gives you is worth the upgrade in my opinion (could it have been done better is another and probably valid question, but taken as a whole, I think it's a solid upgrade)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101454 on: April 28, 2016, 02:48:37 am »

The planners are on something illicit.

They're got me down for two trips on Friday. It is actually physically impossible to get them both done in the allotted time-span. By the time I could possibly best-case-scenario finish the first assignment I would already be late for the second one.

Unless I can somehow get those limos to maintain 90+mph (impossible, especially with traffic), Imma have to politely point out their stupidity tomorrow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101455 on: April 28, 2016, 04:53:52 am »

Damn, I think my email account may have been hacked. I'm seeing a bunch of spam-like emails made out to somebody named Anthony(which is NOT my name), all very recently. This also partly odd due to the fact that Gmail prominently displays the users real name during the attempt to log in, and there's not way to keep it from doing that as far as I know.

...Actually, it looks like somebody used my email to sign up for one of those surveys-for-cash things, because a lot of them appear to be asking for a real address to send the checks to. Still obviously a phishing scam. But I can't find the report button.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101456 on: April 28, 2016, 04:56:23 am »

Literally move them to Spam.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #101457 on: April 28, 2016, 05:19:09 am »

"Ahah! I am finally in his email! Now what... ooh, I know! I'll sign up for surveys!"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #101458 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:32 am »

I don't think the DF UI is too hard either and taught myself it just by exploring, but I will give that's it not very agile. I liked the new military system because of the new control it gave me over squads, but I also think that the game might benefit from a "turn this one dwarf into an ungrouped soldier right now" switch though.

I've been playing DF since 2008 or 09, though, so I've learnt every new interface addition as they've come along. And there's been a lot of those additions. I'm not sire how bad it would appear to a complete beginner starting up the modern version.
Love, scriver~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101459 on: April 28, 2016, 06:48:05 am »

The modern interface is mostly intimidating, I think. Things aren't well explained and even the help menu is overwhelming in terms of all the stuff being thrown at you. There's 31 different menus accessible from the main screen alone, all of which have a number of submenus and have no indication of how important each one is other than guesswork.

Once you get used to it you can punch in hotkeys without really paying much attention, and still do everything you want to do with accuracy. It's helped by the fact that everything is available in two or three button presses.
In my opinion, for a game like Dwarf Fortress, where there is a myriad of things to manage and address, it is better to be able to navigate hundreds of menus in a small amount of time than to make everything friendly and organised. If it's possible to make things less intimidating while still maintaining the fast navigability (I'm not sure that it is, to any significant degree) then absolutely Toady should look in to it, but if it means sacrificing two or three key presses then it's not worth it.

The other things would be consistency and quality-of-life changes.
It's better now than, say, 0.40d, but there's still a lot of inconsistent hotkeys and layouts through the game. These are mostly just annoying to learn and I'm happy with the rate at which Toady is clearing it up. I might need to re-learn a key or two each update, but that's not too bothersome, and it makes things simpler for newcomers.
Quality of life changes, like the vein-automining, less crappy (but still pretty crappy) squad system, and the changes announced for whatever our next version is, are really cool to have in that they reduce the amount of key-tapping we have to do. And again, I'm happy to have these added one or two at a time as new versions come along. Adding a whole bunch at once would probably just result in me forgetting they exist and doing things the old way.

My WTF: I stopped playing DF for ~15 minutes to type this out. This game, it's a curse, I swear.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:06:45 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6762 6763 [6764] 6765 6766 ... 11039