Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6760 6761 [6762] 6763 6764 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433563 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101415 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:43 pm »

Ive been meaning to ask what manner of buggery Cortana is.  I mean clearly, but

Whats it do that I cant?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #101416 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »

Microsoft loses a lot of trust every year, but they never seem to run out.

Cortana is so odd to me.  Like... I get Apple has Siri so Microsoft needs their own "AI".  But who looked through all their IP and was like "here's what I've got for you: we turn an aging geek sex symbol targeted at eleven year olds into a help interface".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101417 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:04 pm »

If your friend liked the Microsoft Games of earlier OS versions (Solitaire, Minesweeper, Freecell etc.), they're in for a disappointment. The games are replaced by a version that either takes a paid subscription or shows unskippable ads before play. Even grabbing the old games onto a flash drive before upgrading won't work: the files have an OS version check.

I'm not sure whether it's sadder that they thought someone would pay a subscription for Minesweeper or that they were probably right.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101418 on: April 27, 2016, 02:51:56 pm »

Cortana? Buggery? If only. It's not like she has teledildonics support or anything...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101419 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:21 pm »

Yet. And hey, they're already on the subscription wagon...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101420 on: April 27, 2016, 03:31:37 pm »

Microsoft loses a lot of trust every year, but they never seem to run out.

Cortana is so odd to me.  Like... I get Apple has Siri so Microsoft needs their own "AI".  But who looked through all their IP and was like "here's what I've got for you: we turn an aging geek sex symbol targeted at eleven year olds into a help interface".
Its probably more 'hey, we need a name for our siri. Lets take it from halo, that counts as supporting pc games right?'
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101421 on: April 27, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »

Bluh I'm behind.  I'm on 6871, about 24 hours ago.

How many of us talking here even play DF?

Nowadays I only try it for a couple days every year or two, usually when there's a new release, and I inevitably quit because the interface only seems to get more difficult to use, and more complicated, never simpler.
Quoted for truth.  Sure it's getting better as a simulation, but the interface was always bad and got a *lot* worse with 2012.  I haven't managed to get back into it since.

No really, it's just *bad*.  It would be a lot better if the UI wasn't a sideproject by a simulationist who was also constantly single-handedly moderating a large forum.  But it's closed-source so we have to depend on the frowned-upon efforts of obsessed reverse-engineers who make external memory-hacking tools which make the game marginally playable with enough study.

It's such a shame because the simulation is pretty great!

Also, not touching the cultural-appropriation thing at all.  (beyond mentioning it disdainfully)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101422 on: April 27, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »

2012 didn't change the interface much at all...

also dfhack is pretty well smiled-upon from what toady's actually said

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101423 on: April 27, 2016, 04:30:27 pm »

I dunno, the interface seems pretty okay for me in DF

but the conversation system could really use some culling of spam (no, game, I don't need to hear about every single little thing that has happened around me + "it was inevitable" x 10000)
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101424 on: April 27, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »

@Putnam
It made the entire military system unusable for DF veterans, without extensive learning of a new unintuitive and pointless system.

And if dfhack is "smiled upon", which I think you recognize would be a reversal of earlier announcements, it's still a reverse-engineering.  The project is only closed-source out of self-interest, which would be fine except that the project is entirely funded by voluntary donations.  I stopped regular donations to Toady with 2012, and will resume when the source is open.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101425 on: April 27, 2016, 04:39:59 pm »

@Putnam
It made the entire military system unusable for DF veterans, without extensive learning of a new unintuitive and pointless system.
I think the military system is pretty easy. Though I did not play before 0.31.1.

I stopped regular donations to Toady with 2012, and will resume when the source is open.
No offense meant or anything, but you will probably wait forever since he has stated numerous times how he's not going to make open source.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101426 on: April 27, 2016, 04:42:25 pm »

And if dfhack is "smiled upon", which I think you recognize would be a reversal of earlier announcements, it's still a reverse-engineering.  The project is only closed-source out of self-interest, which would be fine except that the project is entirely funded by voluntary donations.  I stopped regular donations to Toady with 2012, and will resume when the source is open.
Yeah, that's... not going to happen.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101427 on: April 27, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »

@Putnam

1. that was 2010
2. a lot of the issue was that it was buggy as hell, which it really isn't anymore and it's basically in a fine enough position that you can almost fire-and-forget with it now
3. pointless??
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:46:11 pm by Putnam »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101428 on: April 27, 2016, 04:45:13 pm »

@Putnam

that was 2010

It's not all that hard to learn.... just play the game a bit. At first I was knocked out of joint, but it's not all that hard to acclimatise.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #101429 on: April 27, 2016, 04:47:27 pm »

Toady has said he intends to release DF code when he's financially stable.

Make of that what you will.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 6760 6761 [6762] 6763 6764 ... 11039