Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6759 6760 [6761] 6762 6763 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433211 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101400 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:15 am »

I had downloaded a legend of Zelda and a beta Pokémon game on my TI-83+, until it's memory was wiped that same year for my exams.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101401 on: April 27, 2016, 11:02:35 am »

Those have some relatively impressive chips actually.

The TI-86 has a Z80 6Mhz with 128KB Ram. That's a bit better than the first Amstrad home computers in the 1980s ( Z80 4Mhz with 64KB Ram).

The TI-89 is a Motorola 68000 up to 16MHz. That's the same processor as a first-generation Apple Macintosh, Commodore Amiga, and Atari ST. Pretty impressive for a calculator.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101402 on: April 27, 2016, 11:05:23 am »

Ti's calculators are far, far bigger than my mobile phone, and far far less powerful.

Of course, I don't have a CAS on my phone, so... (but I COULD, theoretically)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101403 on: April 27, 2016, 11:21:33 am »

Those calculators were all shipped in the 1990s however (the most recent one we've mentioned was released in 2004). They certainly knock the socks off any phone you could buy back then. 1990s phones were also huge.

The reason they still sell them is because education. Schools like them because they know the model numbers, and know what the precise limits of them are. Also, old tech is more of a level-playing field, because it's fairly cheap, so poorer students aren't so disadvantaged: they can buy second-hand TI calculators for cheap.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:31:31 am by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101404 on: April 27, 2016, 11:45:02 am »

Aren't TI calculators more expensive than high-end cellphones though?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101405 on: April 27, 2016, 11:54:54 am »

I have a TI-84+, and it's quite a neat device.

My main complaint is that the screen's refresh rate is awful, so all of the things I make on it look awful :V

On the same topic, I managed to drain the batteries in my calculator so much that it wiped my memory and deleted all the programs I made on this thing. RIP ;_;7

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101406 on: April 27, 2016, 01:11:50 pm »

Umm no. A high-end cellphone presumably means iPhone? iPhone 6 is $650 retail. The recent TI nSpire CX (ARM-based) graphing calculator is $140 at Walmart (but they're on special right now for $130). And the ones we're talking about are all much older than that. The TI-84+ is a 2004 model, and you can pick them up on ebay from around $30.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:20:54 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101407 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »

A new TI-84 Plus (basically the high school standard) will run ~$100. You can get them used for as little as half that. If you're willing to do some of the more complex work yourself, you can get a used TI-83 Plus for <$30. And they'll last you basically as long as you need 'em. An iPhone 6 64GB is about $650.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101408 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »

They are pretty expensive. At least there's no need to buy a new one for school, so you can pick one up for half or even a quarter of the price. I got my TI-89 used for $60.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101409 on: April 27, 2016, 01:31:08 pm »

All this talk about fancy calculators just reminded me that they were not allowed neither in regular classes nor tests when I was going through school. Might be the reason I do not enjoy math.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101410 on: April 27, 2016, 01:32:39 pm »

no, they are not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #101411 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »

Yeah, calculators are banned in pure mathematics at my university. It makes a lot of sense.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #101412 on: April 27, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »

On a related note, one of my friends had Win 10 tell him 'All your files are exactly where you left them' on boot. That seems suspicious.
If your friend liked the Microsoft Games of earlier OS versions (Solitaire, Minesweeper, Freecell etc.), they're in for a disappointment. The games are replaced by a version that either takes a paid subscription or shows unskippable ads before play. Even grabbing the old games onto a flash drive before upgrading won't work: the files have an OS version check.

It'd be legally grey to do so, but it's possible to go online and find a library of the old games hacked to work in Win10. I won't be linking to such things, though.

Microsoft has lost quite a lot of trust from advanced users during this year and the last.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101413 on: April 27, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

Microsoft has lost quite a lot of trust from advanced users during this year and the last.
I'd say more than quite a bit, really.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #101414 on: April 27, 2016, 02:03:52 pm »

Cortana takes up a lot of memory too. Even after disabling every little thing it's s'posed to do.

And there's no way to uninstall the bastard program >:(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 6759 6760 [6761] 6762 6763 ... 11039