Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300396 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1275 on: April 01, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »

Yes, post all your questions here, party composition is not that big of an issue, we may be a touch light on rogues and people with 18 strength and constitution, but having a group filled with squishies is Fun!

P.S.
 My stupid-radar is broken and keep on triggering in the presence of apparent sanity, so I can't really comment of the appearance of folly, though a lack of experience in D&D does not seem uncommon here. Nor does a lack of experience with programming, which is somewhat useful if you want to use macros, which have their own arcane and obscure language. You may wish to familiarise yourself with Hamachi and Maptools though, as these programs were required the last time I was aware of such things...

P.P.S.
 Sorcerer and bard is tricky, as both are highly dependent upon class levels, bards need bard levels to sing better songs, and sorcerers need lots of sorcerer casting levels to get better spells. But some sort of weapon-based combatant, possibly with a dash of paladin or cleric to exploit turn-based and/or smite/based feats from the splatbooks may be competitive. Or you could 'not' be competitive in combat, you would still be welcome! Alternatively you could talk to The D.M. about using the multiclassing rules from AD&D, and have your xp split evenly between non-cooperative classes, so that instead of 10000 xp meaning 5 levels to split between bard and sorcerer you could have 5000xp(or third level) in each, going up to 4th level at 12000 xp, possibly this could be combined with the gestalt rules and just give you half xp. A third level gestalt is still a decent prospect at 5th level...

P.P.P.S.
To Shoruke mostly...
Code: (base_HP) [Select]
[macro.return=10]
Code: (max_HP) [Select]
[e,macro("base_HP@TOKEN"):garbage=0)]
[h:base_HP=macro.return]
[h:max_HP=base_HP+floor(constitution/2-5)]
maximum HP equals [max_HP]
Code: (get_AC{must turn off "Allow Players to Edit Macro" in the macro's "options" tab}) [Select]
[h:target=macro.args]
[h,token(target): target_AC = getProperty("AC")]
[h:macro.return=target_AC]
Code: (select_visible{turn off player editable}) [Select]
[h:targets=getExposedTokenNames()]
[h:status=input("target|"+targets+"|Select Target|LIST|SELECT=0 VALUE=STRING")]
[h:macro.return=target]
Code: (attack{may be player editable : )}) [Select]
[h:ab_mods=1]
[h:ability=floor(Strength/2-5)]
[h,macro("BAB@TOKEN"):garbage=0)]
[h:BAB=macro.return]
[h,macro("select_visible@TOKEN"):garbage=0)]
[h:target=macro.return]
[h,macro("get_AC@TOKEN"):garbage=target)]
[h:target_AC=macro.return]
[h:status=input("temp_mods|0|what is the value of temporary modifiers, such as spells or flanking?|TEXT|WIDTH=16")]
[t:roll=1d20] + [t:bonus=BAB+ability+ab_mods+temp_mods] = [t:attack=roll+bonus][h:hit=0] [h,if(attack>=target_AC):hit=1] [r,if(hit):"hits!";"misses..."]
Code: (BAB) [Select]
[macro.return=1]
Code: (all of the above, set this one to not allowing players to edit as it creates stuff that players cannot edit...-almost, for I cannot get the &#34 macro to &#34 recognise the &#34 quotes so it &#34 leaves &#34 all through my beautiful macros... I was hoping that you might know of an HTML means of bypassing this, for now you can just go through the created macros and dig out all the &#34 and replace it with other &#34...) [Select]
[h:quotes="&#34"]
[h:status=input(
"sane|0|Are you certain that you wish to spam macros?|CHECK",
"base_HP|0|Your hit points without a constitution modifier?",
"ab_mods|0|Permanent attack bonus modifiers, such as feats and enchantment, to your primary weapon?",
"BAB|0|Your base attack bonus?")]
[h:abort(status)]
[h:abort(sane)]
[createMacro("join_initiative", "[h: addToInitiative()]", "playerEditable=false;group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("base_HP", "[macro.return="+base_HP+"]", "group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("max_HP", "[e,macro("+quotes+"base_HP@TOKEN"+quotes+"):garbage=0)]
[h:base_HP=macro.return]
[h:max_HP=base_HP+floor(constitution/2-5)]
maximum HP equals [max_HP]", "group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("get_AC", "[h:target=macro.args]
[h,token(target): target_AC = getProperty("+quotes+"AC"+quotes+")]
[h:macro.return=target_AC]", "playerEditable=false;group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("select_visible", "[h:targets=getExposedTokenNames()]
[h:status=input("+quotes+"target|"+quotes+"+targets+"+quotes+"|Select Target|LIST|SELECT=0 VALUE=STRING"+quotes+")]
[h:macro.return=target]", "playerEditable=false;group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("BAB", "[macro.return="+BAB+"]", "playerEditable=false;group=under", ";") ]

[createMacro("attack", "[h:ab_mods="+ab_mods+"]
[h:ability=floor(Strength/2-5)]
[h,macro("+quotes+"BAB@TOKEN"+quotes+"):garbage=0)]
[h:BAB=macro.return]
[h,macro("+quotes+"select_visible@TOKEN"+quotes+"):garbage=0)]
[h:target=macro.return]
[h,macro("+quotes+"get_AC@TOKEN"+quotes+"):garbage=target)]
[h:target_AC=macro.return]
[h:status=input("+quotes+"temp_mods|0|what is the value of temporary modifiers, such as spells or flanking?|TEXT|WIDTH=16"+quotes+")]
[t:roll=1d20] + [t:bonus=BAB+ability+ab_mods+temp_mods] = [t:attack=roll+bonus][h:hit=0] [h,if(attack>=target_AC):hit=1] [r,if(hit):"+quotes+"hits!"+quotes+";"+quotes+"misses..."+quotes+"]", "group=combat", ";") ]

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Macros:Functions:input
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Creating_Macro_Buttons_Using_a_Macro
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/abort
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Macros:Branching_and_Looping#MACRO_Option
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Macros:Branching_and_Looping#Code_Execution
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/getExposedTokenNames
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/getInitiativeList
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/getVisibleTokenNames
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/getTokens
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/april1st
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/addToInitiative
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Category:Macro_Function
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/exposePCOnlyArea
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:18:59 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 01, 2011, 08:10:25 pm »

Meh, as long as you don't go wandering off like a fool, you don't need to be a good fighter. Maelrigar will throw his sword and take your kills protect you anyway.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 01, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »

Duskblades are optimized Maelrigars. Just commenting there.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Hm, that is a good take on it actually! I hadn't considered that most players don't show. |D I might go with a sorcerer after all! (Or actually attempt this multiclass nonsense and try sorcerer/bard. Is that possible...?)
Yes, join our sorcerous horde! We will bury our competition in spells!

Duskblades are optimized Maelrigars. Just commenting there.
Huh? Same hit die, lesser armor proficiency, crappy skills (no intimidate!), less spells per day, worse spells, few spells known, incredibly slow spell progression (no 3rd level spells until level 9 instead of 5), and lame metamagic abilities make for optimization? The only redeeming factor I've seen is Arcane Channeling, but by the time you're level 13, your 4th level touch spells aren't going to be very effective against a sorcerer that can already cast 7th level spells.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

We don't mind more squishies. Maelrigar and I should be able to tank most things (Mael with HP and me with AC, which is a little low right now), while spells fly overhead.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »

We don't mind more squishies. Maelrigar and I should be able to tank most things (Mael with HP and me with AC, which is a little low right now), while spells fly overhead.

There is also Pheron. He's a little low level still, but he is able to do at least a bit of tanking. Especially when he gets some decent armor.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:54 pm »

Ah yes, the deerheaded fighter who thinks he is but a mere man. Little does he know that he will yet be a hero.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:30 pm »

Actually I was referring to the high AC of Van (which should be at 25 in two levels  :D), and Maelrigar's high HP. But with a bit more armour I suppose that Pheron will also be a tank. I guess I kind of missed that.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 02, 2011, 01:35:12 am »

Forget what I said about experience in programming, to fathom the vast wonders of these macros a better resume would be to have a forehead-shaped dent in ones desk built up over many years of repeated use...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 02, 2011, 08:18:03 am »

Meanwhile I'm just off to the side shooting my puny crossbow  :-\
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 02, 2011, 02:56:57 pm »

Jeez. Suddenly, forum posts. ALL UP IN THIS BISH!

I don't have anything wrong with critter-characters on principle, although some of the NPCs will look askance at you. Also, you'll have to run the specific race you want to use so that I can look it over and make sure it doesn't have any "I become pun-pun and win everything forever" type-stuff.

As for asking questions, the forum is the perfect place to do it. It allows me to do my research for when I respond, and, well, getting cluttered up with questions is kinda what it's here for...

As for squishies, our squishy-concentration is quite high, but that's no problem. If you guys stick together, your +10 free hp should keep you alive long enough to solve most encounters.

A sorcerer/bard multiclass character... I don't think it'd work very well. They both have the 1-level delay on their caster progression (i.e. you get your new spell levels 1 level later than an equal-level wizard or cleric would), and I don't think I know of any prestige classes that advance both at once. About the only thing you'd have going for you is attribute synergy.

Duskblades aren't much like Maelrigar at all... they're kinda of semi-magic semi-rogue sneakster trickster subterfuging people, whereas Maelrigar is a self-buffing smashy dude.

Game in ~3 hours. Should be about 4.5-5 hours long... but definitely not longer.

Also, hi Danny Boy. You and Asgrflbl asfghn will need character sheets.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 02, 2011, 03:25:25 pm »

HMMM. Can I get a character sheet done in two hours? WE'LL SEE.

Also RAM, I think I love you. I laughed so hard at pretty much your every post, ever. Thank you. C8

Personally I think it will enhance my experience having my character looked askance at. 8D I think I will probably just be a wuss and go with Human for now though since it's easier than having to dig up my oooold horrible campaign notes okay so I just did that for Dani anyway. KEEP IN MIND I had like no idea what I was doing when I was drawing these up (god it was like five-plus years ago) so they're probably going to need tweaking.

I'm going to go hide in my corner and work on this character sheet if you need me.
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:30 pm »

Meanwhile I'm just off to the side shooting my puny crossbow  :-\
Hey, you're better than Maelrigar at killing things at range, at least after Maelrigar uses up his meager level 1 spellcount.

Spoiler: Maelrigar's Log (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 02, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »

Maybe optimized was pushing it. But of Mael's three feats, a duskblade would have two as a class ability at fourth level.

I'll be somewhat late today. An hour or so.

As for tanking, the Droods will catch up eventually.

Danichu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:34 pm »

It has been forever since I've done up a character sheet, so this should be...interesting.  Especially in the time left.

So, for the individual critter people, do you want us to just post the race basics here or have them sent to you or sent by carrier hawk or telepathically conveyed?  I-I don't know how much clutter I should be dropping here I am a nervous newbie.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 244