Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: UnitedGate: Needs some Players: Year 7 (0.31.12)  (Read 18484 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: UnitedGate: A Dysfunctional Succession Fort: Year 3 (0.31.12)
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »

23rd Hematite, 1053
It seems that Opirion has been elected our mayor.  Why did no one tell me before?  Well, hopefully his room should get upgraded before he starts throwing a hissy fit and banning exports...

26th Malachite, 1053
Things have been going pretty slow lately...work is progressing on my tomb, the perimeter wall, the northern wall is very nearly complete, and we have almost tunneled under the brook to the far hill to begin constructing our barracks.  And today some migrants showed up.
2x Carpenter
1x Woodcrafter
1x Stone Worker
2x Peasant
1x Trapper
1x Tanner
1x Fish Cleaner

17th Galena, 1053
The human caravan arrived today, we began moving some goods to the depot for trade.  I have heard tales of how merchants will pay absurd amounts for serrated steel disks...I wonder what price an adamantine disk would fetch...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:15:22 pm by Xenos »
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 11:24:05 pm »

9th Sandstone, 1053
Is it worth the risk?
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:14 pm »

22nd Sandstone, 1053
Well, whoever dug that magma cistern ALMOST hit a vein of adamantine.  The heat from the magma can be felt on the walls as we remove the unprocessed stone.  But we have found three layers of "safe" adamantine and one that is easily accessible but, we do not know what lies within.  I have also ordered the production of a single adamantine serrated disk.  I was curious how valuable it is.

28th Sandstone, 1053
The mountain homes must have heard of the adamantine from the human traders we sold a wafer to because another wave of immigrants arrived.  I dont want to bother with counting them.

4th Moonstone, 1053
Analog was mining near the brook today, when the water spilled through the wall he had dug out, and it promptly froze around him.  There was nothing we could do to save him :'( :'(  I hope his lover Mellonbread will cope alright...I will miss my friend

I nearly forgot to write of our dealings with the merchants, we bought all they had with a single adamantine serrated disk.

17th Moonstone, 1053
A farmer withdrew from society today...I wonder what he has been up to...

27th Moonstone, 1053
Well, he created a magnetite figurine of dwarves.  Not horrific i suppose...The fields above ground have all been completed, we have four millstones running and three workshops processing plants.  When the spring thaw comes the new fields will need to be watered to allow for more underground growth.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:15:40 am by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2010, 01:37:54 am »

15th Opal, 1053
Our Liaison has extended the offer for us to receive a barony!  Opirion has recommended that I receive this honor (OOC:  HAHA :P...please dont upright spike me) and I am stunned!  But I guess if I will accept that will bring its own duties and I will be unable to continue running the fortress as I have been.  I must begin thinking of my successor...
[DWARFINEERING]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2010, 02:40:23 am »

1st Granite, 1054
This is the last entry I will write as today I have decided to hand the reins over to Kregoth.  I am confident they will be able to rule well.

OOC:  Here is the file!  And make sure you find my tomb ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:47:42 am by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:20 am »

Alright I'll do my best! Sadly I will most likely not be able to play tonight and most of tomorrow I have court :( Hopefully it wont take all day. I will make sure to update as often as I can when I get my first chance to play. I hope this succession turn will be better then my last game man what a nightmare cleaning up that mess was haha.

Umm Link????
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnitedGate: A Dysfunctional Succession Fort: Year 2 (0.31.12)
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2010, 03:10:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is it every time i pick out a dwarf there always something to do with cats? damn I need one that likes tamed elephants haha. my last Succession dwarf had 4 pet cats. sheesh!
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 04:31:43 am »

4th Moonstone, 1053
Analog was mining near the brook today, when the water spilled through the wall he had dug out, and it promptly froze around him.  There was nothing we could do to save him :'( :'(  I hope his lover Mellonbread will cope alright...I will miss my friend

Well that's just great! I'm dead and I didn't even get to the baby-making  :-\

Clearly my ghost must reappear in a random dwarf to be appointed sheriff/captain of the guard... please  ;)

Edit: Kregoth: save is here
Edit2: Since the new captain of the guard worships the same god as my previous incarnation: Uthgur, I don't see why not  :D
Also something weird is going on. I was inspecting Xenos' tomb and I found five different images of dwarf versus dwarf violence ???. Invaders or war of the dwarves?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:17:46 am by analog »
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 02:14:35 pm »

Yeah I was surprised at the number of "Urist McDorf strikes down Urist Dwarfson" in general.  I thought there were more than five...I know that there are even -more- if you look around the other engravings.  Maybe one of the engravers studied lots of history because they are all from long before the forts founding...

Also, the liking tame elephants thing?  it is a pain.  I had that happen when I modded my elephants to be ten times larger, have ten tusks, and grow very quickly.  And also be able to be bought at embark.  ;) (i wanted a purely elephant military.)  Suddenly elephants started getting adopted and I was very very confused (Did that dirty cat teach them something? >:( ) then I noticed that one dwarf had four pet elephants and two pet war elephants.  I read his profile and he liked elephants for their size or something.  if one died, then he would tantrum, die, and make the elephants tantrum (oh that would actually be amazing...) and cause lots of FUN.

But yeah, i had no idea that you would get demoted like that Analog...Sorry...Just have Kregoth rename that peasant to Analog II or something...I suppose I could have used runesmith...but thats not fair ;)
[DWARFINEERING]

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnitedGate: A Dysfunctional Succession Fort: Year 4 (0.31.12)
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2010, 03:02:24 pm »

First post is caught up on everything now.

Edit: I love how my 'tomb' is just a coffin shoved into a hole in soil off to the side with a single statue, I feel jipped... and have fun dealing with that
almost right away Kregoth
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:35:28 pm by Opirian »
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »

Alright i just got back I'll start the game up now and update. I'll name a dwarf for you analog. How about analog II or JR? And i found you tomb interesting location. OMG we have 3 nobles all prohibiting the export of crowns hahaha.

Umm ok before i unpause this WTH do the levers do none of them have notes and I really don't want to attempt the what this button do scenario? Anytime you make a leveler for succession game i tend to place note on them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:59:50 pm by Kregoth »

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:43 pm »

There should at least be one note on the first lever of the fort (underground farm irrigation)

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »

There should at least be one note on the first lever of the fort (underground farm irrigation)

Ok I found them. usually when I leave notes the show up under the K menu when looking at a lever weird.

Would it be alright if i use the save game updater for iron sides graphic set? for some reason some of the graphics are all screwy and I cant see half the walls.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:56:46 pm by Kregoth »

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »

Ok I found them. usually when I leave notes the show up under the K menu when looking at a lever weird.

Would it be alright if i use the save game updater for iron sides graphic set? for some reason some of the graphics are all screwy and I cant see half the walls.
I don't see why not.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2010, 08:58:53 pm »

SPRING

1st Granite
it's the first day of spring the beginning of a new year and a year that our glorious Fortress shall never forget. For I am Kregoth, Great and powerful Master to our humble abode.
You see every year we elect a new Member of our society from far and wide to lead our great denizens of our continent deeper in to the dark abyss below out very feet in an attempt to find more deposits of very valuable gems, ore, and stone. All while battling the very things made of legends all in an attempt to be written into history.

I have lived a very comfortable life as one of our most skilled woodcutters and now it is my turn to lead rest of our drunken brethren. Upon moving a copper axe into a stockpile A dwarf approached me and said. "Kregoth something lingers outside our great wall". As I looked over our great wall I noticed a goblin still wondering around in our trap infest caravan route. and as soon as I turned around I heard the snapping sound of a closing cage trap. "that takes care of that"

As I finished my work load I decided to look around our great fortress once more. It seems our previous leaders have done a great job this fortress is in great shape and we have a newly established working magma system deep below and plenty of stock filled rooms for booze and food. It looks to me like the majority of the hard work is done. I think the first order of business for myself is to build a far more suitable room for a new leader such as myself. I think i will also look into how our military is set up and see if there are any improvements that may need addressing. We also have a fairly decent stockpile of adamantine the very metal that makes simple holes in the ground into powerful mountainhomes.

I couldn't have picked a better time to lead then this.

(I'll post a new reply every season so keep your eye on this one for spring then when spring is over I'll make a new reply. Sorry I started so late been a busy day. I hope you guys will enjoy my narrative for this I am not that great of a story telling hell i have shitty grammar too so I hope you enjoy it.)

5th of Granite
as I began to contemplate that very thought those annoying stinky green men appeared again causing all kinds of noise for our hard workers. Luckily they where quickly dispatched by our traps and a few squad members that had arrived on the scene. Oh my! 77 dwarves and only 6 members in the militia? perhaps I will look over our civilian list and see what cannon fodder can be enlisted. "DAMN" not a single peasant with a worthy skill to wield anything other then booze. I hope our next slave shipment... er I mean migrant wave will have some decent foot soldiers to be conscripted.

I decided to see what our miners where doing and noticed them digging on the other side of the region on a small cliff to the south. "This gives me a great idea" as i thought to myself, I decided that I shall build something great there one which will be a complete secret until my rule here is over.

15th of Granite
I have fallen for someone. He has swept me off my feet although I question his love for cows. There moos are most certainly not haunting. I also fail to understand his affection for he. His name is Rat_Pack Buketuzol oh how I adore him. It is nice to have such company in these cold and dangerous winds he and my cat's are all that i need to keep me going.

((Didn't even realize my character was a women until I looked at my her profile hahaha.))

3rd of Slate
It seems the previous leaders have made my job easier. Many of the tasks that I am accustomed to checking and ordering have already been set. The still is constantly brewing drinks for our thirsty citizens. the forges down below are constantly smelting our ore's. Amazingly the stockpiles are well organized and filled with bins to reduce the clutter. Over all I am impressed!

I did notice that we have lots of our lovely blue metal sitting about without have there metal strands being extracted. I quickly spoke with the manager and had him fill an order of 30 adamantine strands to be produced, as well as 30 wafers. that way we can hopefully get our adamantine production flowing. I also decided to have some furniture encrusted with gems as well as a few crafts.

The Brook has finally thawed, and the grass has started to turn green once again. The cold affects from winter are slowly wearing off. More progress is done on my secret project. I am beginning to think I need myself a tomb just like Xenos has given himself. A thought had crossed my mind of just taking his, but I am not that cruel hearted of a women. I shall build my own down close to where his is.

1st of Felsite
Good some migrants have arrived. the total count is 21. I quickly glance over there paper works to see if any had decent skills. The only real notable ones where the High master brewer, a high master stone detailer, and high master carpenter. Blasted peasants all the rest I decided to conscript 4 of them into the militia. 10 soldiers are better then 6. I set up an appropriate schedule of training for them all. our total populace is now 98. They brought animals as well I quickly ordered them caged. Don't need them bothering my workers.

17th of Felsite
Damn Vile creatures!... Those green skinned BASTARDS have dared to show there face again... but this time they are far more serious. instead of a silly ambush or kidnapper they sent 9 crows bowers. They are attempting to siege or grand fortress.

Without time to spare I quickly restricted all civilians to the burrow inside the dinning room thats filled with levers. I only hope most of them can make it in. There are still 6 dwarves outside including a baby. I position the soldiers near the only way into the fortress encase the bridge isn't closed in time. Where is our damn mountianhome caravan? they should have arrived by now. I figured if i locked them out the caravan should arrive and slaughter them greenies.

The dwarves all made it in. I quickly pull the lever labeled for the out bridge. "What the?" it didn't work did the our previous leaders label them wrong? I checked again it the correct lever but nothing has happened to the bronze bridge. I pulled another level just above it.... nothing damnit is this some cruel joke from Xenos? My mind races on that thought.

I decide that I will have to wait and watch to see if our traps are effective enough to stop these foul goblins. "damn they are just sitting there waiting for us to come to them"

"Madam Kregoth?" A peasant said

"WHAT? What is so important that you have to interrupt me now? Can't you see we are under siege?"

"Madam I am sorry but I have news of the utmost importance"

"Spill it peasant"

"A beast by the name Rurast has shown himself and wishes for our deaths"

"Well isn't that great where is he?'

"In the caverns madam"

"Good he can stay down there for all i care"

24th of Felcite
The damned green skins are still sitting there doing nothing perhaps they know of our traps and dare not venture inside. I do not know but for now we are fine I just hope our caravan arrives soon.

Update I guess my number where wrong there are 15 of them crows bowers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:21:25 am by Kregoth »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13