Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: UnitedGate: Needs some Players: Year 7 (0.31.12)  (Read 18483 times)

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnitedGate: A Dysfunctional Succession Fort: Year 2 (0.31.12)
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:58 am »

15th of Limestone
We've got monkeys! We've got monkeys in cages and we've got dead monkeys in the front yard. Also some monkey bits got strewn around. At least bauxite masks the color of blood nicely. On a totally unrelated note, I've finished my own burial chamber and have decided to breach the first cavern so we can get some sweet smooth silky sensations.
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 12:08:06 pm »

:/ while the gratuitous amounts of silk will be nice now trees will grow in our fortress randomly  :-\  I dont like trees growing randomly in fortresses...(with my luck there is usually a pocket of soil right in a high traffic area that gets very fast growing trees or something.)  What seems to be the focus of the economy atm?  Survival?  Well, whatever it is, make sure to have lots of seeds waiting for me ;)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:08 pm »

Winter 1052
At about 104 urists deep we have discovered an impenetrable rock with a warm red heu. The earth's blood is nearby. Carefully digging upwards and prospecting for warm rock will give us the fine bounty called magma. It's snowing outside and that makes a dwarf want to install central heating. But before that we have to map out the magma sea. Ophirian, Mellonbread and I will have our work cut out for us.

Opal 1052, Mid-winter
It's freezing outside but we're warming ourselves against the wall. Our mining has bore fruit and we're currently excavating a magma reservoir and some rooms above for the metal industry. On our way down several deposits of marble were discovered and the amount of lignite laying around means our army will be be composed of walking steel tanks with steel spears! Oh, the glory!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:19:05 pm by analog »
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »

:/ while the gratuitous amounts of silk will be nice now trees will grow in our fortress randomly  :-\  I dont like trees growing randomly in fortresses...(with my luck there is usually a pocket of soil right in a high traffic area that gets very fast growing trees or something.)  What seems to be the focus of the economy atm?  Survival?  Well, whatever it is, make sure to have lots of seeds waiting for me ;)

thats easy to fix just smooth that portion out or build a floor over it.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 01:29:00 am »

There is little soil on the inside of the fort, most of the halls are stone. >.>

I see you found the second entrance I was digging so we could wall up the first and have one that was better defended.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 02:12:20 am »

Oh good.  I was worried we would have random pockets of black sand or something (that happened in one fort of mine...)

Hmmm...how about we try for steel tanks with cotton candy spears and warhammers?  8)  I will take a little bit of time out of my agriculture to try and set up a simulated combat training room (wooden spikes)
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:03 am »

11th of Obsidian 1052,

Almost done with the magma-works. The first statue-garden is finished and our food and booze production seems to be running smooth. This fort is safe for now. Two bridges regulate the outside access (who'd ever think of going there except for those maniacs with their axes) and one bridge to seal of the first cavern. What we'd need now is a military presence. I've begun assigning some dwarves with moderate combat skills into a spear-squad but have not given them a sufficient place to spar. The monkeys can always serve as training dummies.

15th of Obsidian 1052,

Today marks our first contact with goblinoids. A thief walked into a trap and is caged. I guess he'll go down the same path as the monkeys...
Remember dwarves, if you don't want blood to mess up your floors just build the training room in bauxite

22nd of Obsidian 1052,
While trying to dig a new parallel shaft to the magma-works another cavern was discovered. In contradiction to the previous one, the little we saw was bad enough. Two blind cave ogres and three elk birds. Let's just hope we can close the gap fast...

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 07:40:57 am »

Last of Obsidian 1052,

The end is here. Time to get this journal in order so the next overseer has some uhm, oversight. To anybody reading this, we need metal industry, military training and a hospital. Also: The current militia commander has been renamed to ThatDude.

The dwarven liaison left some instructions with Ophirian to be followed. I didn't really pay any attention to it.

Now for the bits and pieces I've screencapped
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SAVE HERE

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:47:21 am by analog »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 10:55:33 am »

Oh sweet, I'm up! :D  Well, I have classes today and I need to actually go to work today so...sometime this week! (I will try to get it completed as soon as possible) 

Also, we need more successors! 
[DWARFINEERING]

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnitedGate: A Dysfunctional Succession Fort: Year 3 (0.31.12)
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:31 pm »

Now to add to the dam (which is now part tower)

I didn't even make a tomb for myself >.>

and someone went crazy with the statues.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »

Dam?   ???  There was a dam?  Huh, that must have been the "gatehouse" I saw...Well, I will leave part of it open (only accessible by a lever controlled floodgate ;) ) In case you want to dam the brook for some reason...OH! Now to the whole reason I came back to the thread...I will post an update soonish.  I have my "pre unpause" update almost done and then I will try for, at the very least, seasonal updates as I play.  Maybe monthly.  Obviously ignoring any exciting or "FUN" events :P

EDIT:  P.S.  Wait until you see my tomb... ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:01:20 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2010, 04:58:03 pm »

I now have an urge to re-arrange all the statues placed by colour so they look like or spell something when it gets to my turn. Hmmm any suggestions?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »

Granite 1st, 1053
Today I was informed that due to the stresses of running the fortress, our leader for the past year Analog, was resigning and that he had selected me to take over the planning of our home.   I immediately accepted and ordered that more farms be plowed and our existing fields be expanded with six more plots being dug to the east of our current farm, and a large enclosure built to house several farms for growing above ground crops.  This should allow us to expand the selection of booze as well as allow us to produce more food for export.  The gatehouse will be extended to begin on the southern side of the brook and the mountain will have a section of slope dug around the entire base to prevent besieging enemies from harassing us.  It wont stop them if they come from the north, but if they come from any other direction then they wont be able to gain the high ground.  Walls and fortifications will also be constructed to aid in this effort.  I will draw some smaller sketches to place within my journal.
We only have enough food supplies for ~160 meals (assuming the brewers leave the plant alone for now) and about twice that amount in our booze stockpile.  This.  Is.  TERRIFYING!  Those farms are the most important task right now…I don’t want our fortress getting wiped out by some bacteria like the great Plump Helmet famine the mountain halls of Ironland (OOC:  Pleace catch that joke ;) )
The final item I outlined was my own tomb.  I will make sure I am remembered as the best leader who will ever rule Unitedgate.

Granite 6th, 1053
The southern mountain taunts us with its rich deposits of coal and iron…I am unsure whether we should strip mine it to the river level, or hollow it out and use it as a housing and training area for our military…this seems fitting as the coal and iron found in it will  be used to fuel our military machine…

Granite 19th, 1053
Some beast appeared today.  It announced itself as “Aslot Stongunamxu” and this towering feathered damsel fly truly is a horror to behold.  As if its four horns were not dangerous enough, we saw it release a cloud of gas near some frogs, killing them.  (OOC  that last bit was for flavor)  I will be ordering the drawbridge to the caverns closed as well as forbidding the weavers from collecting any more webs for now.  I really need to  get the bridge enclosed so things like this wont be a problem in the future…

Granite 22nd, 1053
Our administrator, Libash Igathtobul was murdered by Aslot today...Apparently he had been in the caverns collecting webs when the drawbridge was slammed shut.  I hope no more of our dwarves are trapped in that hell hole...I have been informed that the beast spits a boiling liquid to kill But it also appears that the beast is not immune to the danger.  It has received severe damage to its head and one of its legs.  Maybe it will cook itself hunting creatures in those caverns...

Slate 11th, 1053
Opirian expressed his concern  to me about his lack of a tomb after hearing of my planned tomb and requested that one be built.  I will graciously construct one for him.  The plans have already been drawn.  Also, it seems that our unwanted visitor has either left us or has moved to an unexplored segment of those massive caverns...I hope the former...

Slate 12th, 1053
It didn't leave.  It is slaughtering some reptile men deep in the caverns though...Our bookkeeper has informed of this due to an increase of corpses.  How that could be known amazes me as the drawbridge is still up.

SLate 18th, 1053
Some Migrants arrived today
1x Jeweler
1x Wood Burner
1x Planter (YES!  We can never have too many farmers)
1x High Master Armorsmith :D
1x Stone Crafter
2x Gem Setter
1x Cook (He will no doubt soon become very skilled with the amount of food we will produce after the farm plots are dug and watered)
1x Weaponsmith/Bone Doctor
1x Engineer (he seems to prefer seige engineering.  Perhaps we could accommodate this?
1x Ranger  (he will be the leader of our marksdwarves squad when it is formed)
1x Furnace Operator (with some weaponsmithing skill and some basic combat experience)
1x Herbalist
1x High Master Fish Dissector (OOC:  Just as he appeared the message "there is nothing to catch blablabla" appeared XD)
1x Stone Crafter (will be drafted, has military experience in lashing)
1x Farmer
1x Bone Doctor/Archer/Blowgunner
1x Pump Operator
------------
18 new immigrants, many will be suitable for enlarging our military.  Today was a good day.  In other news, Lizard men/women are still being slaughtered.  Maybe they will eventually overpower the beast.

21st Slate, 1053
A carpenter fell into a possession today, I pray that he will only require what we can offer...

27th Slate, 1053
Our Carpenter created an AMAZING alder bed today.  He calls it Kengvir, or The Steamy Star.  It will go quite nicely in my bedroom...too bad it doesn't menace with spikes...
I also checked on our seed stores to see how we were doing and I discovered that we only have three quarry bushes, and no sweet pods!  What am I supposed to do with only plump helmets and cave wheat?  Bah, soon fields above ground will be plowed...

14th Hematite, 1053
It looks like I wont be able to get my farms to satisfactory levels within the year.  They were just too neglected in the past...hopefully they will almost be caught up by winter.  We recently began the removal of some of the famed "blue cotton candy" as our smiths are so fond to call it.  We successfully mined an entire layer of the spire without releasing any of the horrors within.  I plan on having our smiths use it to craft the sharpest of weapons.  We will still use silver for the hammers and maces though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:49:36 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2010, 08:01:46 pm »

Feel free to make new post for each entry, you don't have to keep editing.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

awwww ....I liked my long entry...I will do one post per season :P  Btw, your tomb is done Opirion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:25:39 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13