Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Anal Rituals  (Read 20375 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Rituals
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:33 am »

It's customary for me to bring a pair of cats on every embark. Catsplosion be damned, I just like cats. :)

Also, whatever shape the fort may eventually take, I begin its construction with a long five-wide corridor into the nearest cliff, going down and branching out from there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 11:30:57 am »

Yes, especially since dwarves can share first names.

Especially since they name their pets the same things they name their children.  ("I PREFER the name Indiana."  "We named the DOG Indiana." "You were NAMED after the DOG?"  "I have a lot of fond memories of that dog...")

I try to give them NAME names, though... it helps me build stories out of these characters.  I can still remember my most important dwarves from my first fort... For example, Sunny was my mayor, but she was also kinda... I also had "Luna", who was noted for being intelligent, but also kind of dour, the opposite of Sunny, so I made her my bookkeeper and manager and made Luna the actual planner and mastermind "power behind the throne" while Sunny was the "face". 

Almost all my important dwarves were female by some fluke of the e-dice.  My Dungeon Master, "Lady Zon" (her original name was Zon, and it's such a perfect name for someone who runs around in nothing but cloaks, gloves, boots, and a few strips of leather with a whip, and I prefer to image a pair of goggles), my Hammerer, "Lefty" (named for my spiking her to prevent mandate-breakage punishments so that she had a red right hand injury that kept her bedridden for a couple years), "Yukkuri" the baroness (named for "liking to take it easy" actually displayed as, living life at a leisurly pace, hating rules and regulations, not going out of her way to work, taking her time to decide, and handling stress well). 

My others from the initial seven were my herbalist and later, head engineer "Kiki", a woman who liked Tentacle clowns for their corrupt intentions (named after the character from Ghastly's Ghastly Comic who loved tentacle monsters, and chased them down even if they weren't interested in her), "Hummingstone", my original legendary miner (also an optimist), "Backpit", my engraver who hated other people and loved working, so was always "back in the pits", "Greenspade", the farmer (liked serpentine, green diamonds, and spears, and was a farmer so...) (he wound up marrying Sunny), and "Easy So" (named for also having a "take it easy" personality, and the first two letters of his real name being "so", but I forget the rest) the armorsmith.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:08 am »

I have a new odd ritual.  Whenever I find gems near the beginning I dig around them until I find out the entire extent of the vein/cluster, making sure no walls are touching it.  I don't know why I do this, but I think it started when I was sleep deprived and I just kept going with it. o_O
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46:54 am »

Is it anal that I always start right next to where my wagon is and I dig down.
First FULL (as in, on the map there's nothing green left) level of earth becomes storage, the one below becomes workshop and then five to ten levels below that I build my bedrooms. I just wing it from there but I always have that same starting layout.
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:24 am »

I build a wall around my wagon if I can.
I have a central stairway.
I breach the caverns in the first year, sometimes before summer ends.
I don't nickname anybody. Ever.
In 40d, everyone had their own bedroom.
The military has 'houses.' There is one family dedicated to one type of weapon, until I have one of every type, then I get more. The children of the original dwarf all are drafted into the military to use the weapon of their family. I usually start with the Axe, then the Hammer, then the Sword, and I haven't  gotten any farther than that.
I'm not sure if that above sentence is legible. I haven't typed anything in a long time.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:24 am »

First buy a lube tube... wait wait.

Anyway... I tend to immediatly dig down to the magma and settle there. Then I get peculiar with the hotkeys: 1 for the surface, 2 for the various workshops, 3 for caverns entrance, 4 for magma industries, 5 for the trade depot...

I also tend to designate way too many farms and drown in food.
Finally, dwarves always get nicknames when they do something interesting. A dwarf that always cuts ennemies in half will be named kenshin, one that soloes a 50+ goblins strong siege gets nicknamed "MacLeod", one with melted legs will get renamed "The Mop", etc.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 12:00:55 pm »

Heres another one I just noticed: I watch my miners like a hawk while mining for resources (not for construction). I put a small refreshment stand near the entrance to the mine so they won't half to walk 150 tiles back into the fort proper just to drink and only designate the tiles that have minerals I want on them, constantly pausing to designate new tiles as they are revealed for optimum mining.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 12:13:04 pm »

Breaking the fourth wall a bit, with this one:

I've not yet perfected it for 0.31 (and especially its new flavour-text in the dwarf descriptions) but in 40D I made meticulous spreadsheets of each dwarf.  Labelled the first seven a1 to a7, first wave immigrants b1..nN, etc, native-born children got a pure numeric.  Made a note of their current skill levels (and, in 40D, valued their Strength, Agility and Toughness), my aspirational first- and second-choice jobs (regardless of their currently recorded 'official' job title, because they might have accidentally majored in engraving prior to their decent glassmaking being taken up and developed), recorded the quality of bedroom/office/tomb, etc they had been assigned (if any, and also any outstanding noble-type requirements for furniture they need), listed their favourite rock/metal/gem/all-the-rest, their "absolute detests", as appropriate, and enumerated their psychological make-up, in .31 there's also the characteristics (though I'm still wading through that).  Also relatives (lovers and spouses, parents, siblings, offspring) and pets, which I've found useful (off-game) in to make sure that a potential draftee hasn't got anyone that a death in combat might upset, or vice-versa.  Just a small spreadsheet, of course.  Adding lines for pets as well would make managing a ten-year-old fortress a little time-consuming, of course.  (Aided and abetted by a "last updated on" column.)

Of course, skill levels quickly go out of date (although messages surrounding SAT values changing give me reason to check and update them), and Dwarf Therapist holds some of that information (including quick-updating, i.e. entirely not tedious), but doesn't know everything that I record (although it is admittedly easier to update with what tasks I may have 'temporarily' assigned, and not highlighted as such on the skill-levels table), and while I have a half-arsed solution involving a side-program that does a periodic/on-demand screen-shot of the DF window and actually does something akin to OCR on it (useful for quickly dealing with the whole screen of likes/dislikes/attributes) to emulate my own visual analysis and information transferring process, it's a bit of a kludge to say the least.  (Also, unlike DT, can't tell the difference between the different levels of Legendary, and needs me to change screens, although in one version I got it to prompt me to check someone's current skill-levels (the character it had the most out-of-date info for), and even recognise if I needed to scroll down a screen to give it more known skills[1].  Ditto update issues for the alcohol tendency (e.g. not having had any for a while) and PTSD ("getting used to tragedy") which are the two obviously "variable" qualities on that final screen.

But, anyway, I was supposed to be talking about my obsessions, not those of the applications I wrote.  (Albeit to be surrogate obsessives to save me my own time and effort. :))

And I've not yet definitively built up a complete physiognomy cheat-sheet for .31 (hair, moustache, beard style, etc), and have instead been fussing over more in-game trivialities (e.g., building a set of masons' workshops for each stone-type, each workshop (eventually) being built of a block of that material, with a that-stone-only stockpile to one side and that-stone's-blocks-only stockpile immediately surrounding it) and practising making the most pre-planned fortress that I've ever made, in a manner that I've described elsewhere on this forum (as a theory, which I then decided to put into practice).  Which means that my improved data-capture (and -recording) efforts have been largely sidelined, admittedly.  Although I did start off keeping records of animal husbandry (using best-guess techniques to track whether a new puppy had gained its ochre-coloured front legs from its mother (Dog3) or, could be used to suggest that the father was Dog5, rather than Dog3) and even built up character details from various migrating beasts, sentient friendlies and hostiles that entered my territory to graze, trade or steal/attack, to the extent that non-character creatures give a subset of the details ones own dwarves possess...

And I'd also feel it a little cheaty (although i don't mind the "Legendary+3" type of detail) to extract such details through a memory-hacking method like Dwarf Fortress.  If I do get my apps perfected, they're basically (apart from being "just for fun") just to speed up the rate at which personally-viewable information is recorded.  Meaning I don't spend three days on the first year of fortress maintenance. :)

[1] Actually easier in 40D when it was ordered by that buff's first appearance time, with all initial skills at top, and any newly (initially) dabbling skills adding to the bottom.  That way, it just needed to make sure it had 'snapped' a screen with all known skills, plus a screen that was obviously at the bottom of the list (minor assumption, there, being that there was not a penultimate screen of new skills that hadn't been previously recorded).  In .31 where all known skills are ordered strictly by an order I've not so far completely catalogued, I really need it to make me give it 'overlap' screens so that nothing new is missed out.  Also I should force it to tell me if I've accidentally deselected combat skills.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

I bow before you Starver, you are the most anal DF player ever.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »

I trap my tombs.
I try to give each fortress a particular style of tomb.
I try to give every legendary dwarf a piece of furniture made out of a material he likes.
In 0.31, which I have still not picked up full-time, I'm very picky about which statues go where, since they are now statues of particular things. It's unleashed my inner interior decorator I'm afraid.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »

Actually, that was part of my migration ritual, as well.  Everyone got a job based on their preferences. 

People who loved armor or weapons got military jobs.  People who liked dogs got patrol jobs with war dogs.  People who loved articles of clothing or pig tails got to be weavers (including "Armani", who loved dresses and emerald dye).  People who liked glass were glass blowers.  etc.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »

The only thing I do, I'm ashamed to say, is give my starting 7 the same names, based loosely on their personalities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel so ashamed...so childish...

...and yet awesome :P

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »

The only thing I do, I'm ashamed to say, is give my starting 7 the same names, based loosely on their personalities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel so ashamed...so childish...

...and yet awesome :P

So much win.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 01:56:30 pm »

-Never, ever build ramps.
-Give my imprisoned enemies better rooms than my dwarves.
-Savescum over the tiniest of mistakes.
-Never make prepared meals - my dwarves can survive off raw plump helmets.
-Become too attached to my military dwarves, to the point where they have lavish tombs, rooms, equipment and names. If any of them ever die, the whole fortress goes into mourning, and if any dwarf can be held responsible (for example, another lesser-trained military dwarf not obeying the kill order because he is sleeping) will be caged for an extended length of time before being slaughterd.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:40 pm »

Actually, that was part of my migration ritual, as well.  Everyone got a job based on their preferences. 

People who loved armor or weapons got military jobs.  People who liked dogs got patrol jobs with war dogs.  People who loved articles of clothing or pig tails got to be weavers (including "Armani", who loved dresses and emerald dye).  People who liked glass were glass blowers.  etc.

I used to try that, but I found too many things doubled up or were useless as far as profession goes.  (Love the name idea Armani btw!  I might have to 'borrow' it.)  Of course, this was in a much older version that I tried it; maybe the info is more helpful now.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7