Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Anal Rituals  (Read 20353 times)

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Rituals
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:09 pm »

MUST HAVE MORE TURQUOISE. WHERE IS ALL THE MICROCLINE AND WHY ARE THE DWARVES USING MUDSTONE?

._.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:37 pm »

All my surface plant farms are 3x3 plots.  All my underground farms are 10x2 plots.  Not sure why this is, it just IS.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2010, 07:42:12 pm »

Always, ALWAYS a 2-wide hallway from the central staircase. All workshops and stockpiles in dirt levels. 11x11 rooms, ALWAYS. Related rooms connected (e.g. 11x11 kitchen area, connected to a network of food stockpiles). Refuse stockpile ALWAYS open to the surface.

Somehow, my original hunter always dies by the beginning of the first winter.
くコ:彡

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »

I tend to bevel the corners of my rooms.  I've been cutting back lately for more variety.  I always have separate booze and food stockpiles.  Personal bedrooms are a low priority so I always end up having most of my dwarves sleep in a barracks.  My farms are always above ground.  Lately all of my barrels and bins have been made from nickel and zinc.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2010, 09:02:59 pm »

this has probably come up a million times, but i still build open areas no larger than 6 tiles in any one direction (length or width) based on the old 2D cavein rules.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »

this has probably come up a million times, but i still build open areas no larger than 6 tiles in any one direction (length or width) based on the old 2D cavein rules.

A good personal rule - I like the concept of building large, open areas as some sort of gothic archetecture with arches...

Hmm... Next fortress, I'm definitely taking the time/wasting the space to make some grand, multi-z-level hallways where I make "arches" and have rows of columns, and have a really, stupidly grand set of mead hall, lord's court, and royal court.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:58 am »

A good personal rule - I like the concept of building large, open areas as some sort of gothic archetecture with arches...

Hmm... Next fortress, I'm definitely taking the time/wasting the space to make some grand, multi-z-level hallways where I make "arches" and have rows of columns, and have a really, stupidly grand set of mead hall, lord's court, and royal court.

i made my dining hall a 5-z level oval dome, with the stills, kitchen ,fisheries, and butcher shops in the top 4

i lost alot of good dwarves making that dining hall..
damn caveins..
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 06:47:45 am »

I design almost my entire fort before I unpause the game after embarking. Then I restrict access by undesignating key parts of the fort so my miners carve out important areas first.
I pretty much do the opposite. I design forts and z levels according to the rock and veins that I find there. It makes it difficult to pre plan a fortress. I make workshops out of brightly coloured metal bars. I (try to ) make levers and corresponding bridges out of the same materials.

For some reason this thread reminds me of the classic 'The Office' joke. Tim, 'Not this [farmer], he's gay ?' Gareth, 'Well then he shouldn't be allowed near animals'
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 07:42:48 am »

Whenever I designate trees to be chopped I disable hauling on my woodcutters then reenable it after they chop down all of said trees.

For defense I only use cage traps and tied up tame animals. I keep all those captured in a massive stockpile.

An obscene amount of doors and hatches. Every workshop has its own room and a door (even ones that can't get moods). Hallways have a door on each end. Hatches on the stairs above and below any inhabited level. Hatches on the ground level entrance.

I have only one meeting hall and it's 1*1 tiles in size.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »

Having played this fort longer than any other, I have found a new pet hate: Uneven cliff faces!

Just spent ages making every outside z-level's edges into right angles, so that my roads look nice and neat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »

I almost exxlusiveley build aboveground forts out of wood, and I must use only a single, unique type of wood for the walls, the floors, and the workshops.

if I use a different wood for something, it must make a pleasing pattern.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »

I'm quite obsessed with symmetry on the chamber designs. Be it vertical, horizontal, quad, radial or whatever. I also love making big interesections with statues and whatso.
I'm quite obsessed with colored walls in some spots too, but it really depends on the context, I often end leaving some veins here and there for the sake of variety.
Also back to the demographics, I'm gay. Also I don't really think that DF is a "manly" game. It has lots of carnage, but who made up the myth that gays are pansies that can't see blood? I already had the opportunity of operating two pigs in medicall school for instance, and I enjoyed it.  ???
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »

I absolutely must make the dimensions of every room an odd number, even halls must be 1, 3, 0r 5 wide, and measured in odd-numbered lengths in ways that i can make odd-number dimensioned rooms out of them.

I used to do this, till I realized that there is no center of the map. Now every thing is 2, 4, or 6 wide.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 05:17:45 pm »

I always have exactly one central staircase around which the fort is arranged rotational symmetric as long as the surroundings allow this. I always use the same pattern to dig out rooms. The central staircase is arranged around the central pillar, that is engraved on every level that is not soil.

I always keep one male and one female child of any pet species I own, butchering excess. I always bring one male kitten, one female kitten and some dogs to my fort.

I build a road to every edge of the map. All roads are made of the same material.

I do not use wood for building anything that could be build out of stone.

What I always tried to do but never finished was to have tombs for every last dwarf, fully engraved and with statues in every corner.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Segnaro

• Bay Watcher
  • Live ambitiously, Die hilariously
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 08:29:51 pm »

Probably not too unique, but I have my dwarves do nothing until I have carved out the underground -- hallways, stockpiles, workshop rooms, living quarters, and farms, before I let them run in and do everything.

They pretty much live on air and water until I'm done carving everything out.

::EDIT::
I also refuse to give my dwarves anything less than 3x3 rooms, their own cabinets and private dining tables.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:38:39 pm by Segnaro »
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7