Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293668 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:12 pm »

journal of Minkot Voderith:
Well, I seem to have been elected mayor. That was unexpected. These new quarters sure are nice, though.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »

Sorry I haven't been looking at this for a bit. Also, GET WORKING ON THE PYRAMID! I had to mark it on the map for you. And you should (steel) grate over the water holes. You emptied them, and now the NW would have access to the fort. But maybe leave one patch walled off for it to drink. With the way things are going, It seems it'll have plenty to eat.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Galena, 307

Well that was a close one.  Good thing Scaraban is a fast runner or that could have been quite tragic.  Still, it was a good thing that it happened just as the merchants were arriving.  Can’t wait to see what the humans brought this year!

On another note, Lorbam Zonistam finally finished her creation.  She has created a masterwork statue.  It’s a bit graphic though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lorbam claims that she remembers nothing of creating this statue.  I’m not certain what worries me more.  Rith reaching from beyond the grave to help us to remember our death or the nightwing Brutalcries taunting us from the afterlife.  I’ll have to think about what to do with this creation. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Limestone, 307

I suppose that’s what I get for thinking the nightwings are a minimal problem.  One swooped down into our work site today.  Our military got outside in record time but one of the haulers didn’t manage to outrun the creature.  Amazingly, he’s alive but unconscious with severe bruising, a few cuts and what looks like a broken should.  I’m hopeful that our doctor will be able to help him.

That pyramid may not stop the nightwings but it will certainly be a monument to our resistance against them! 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Sandstone, 307

Not much to report today, except to mention that Amsel and Vucar are up to 7 children now!  Amsel and Vucar are still parents to more than half the children in the fort.  There are 12 children in our fortress now.  Also I’m happy to note that our injured hauler is back on his feet. 

OOC: @Scaraban: Good point.  I’ve seen a dwarf and a kobold thief run away from each other in the same direction.  Makes for some good comedy.  :)

@breadbocks: Thanks for marking it; I did the poi’s in a bit of a hurry yesterday.  It’s the priority alongside the current glasswork that’s going on now that I have enough steel to finish the job.  I’m going to pattern the interior floor of the pyramid.  It’s already almost done now thanks to the large amount of labor I have available.  I’m not too worried about nightwings trying to enter my fort that way.  With all the activity outside, they really just dive in after the first dwarf they see! 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59:20 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Sandstone, 307

Not much to report today, except to mention that Amsel and Vucar are up to 7 children now!  Amsel and Vucar are still parents to more than half the children in the fort.  There are 12 children in our fortress now.  Also I’m happy to note that our injured hauler is back on his feet. 
I lol'd at this. They have been busy. As far as I'm aware, only one other child has been born here.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2010, 12:47:14 am »

the image of that cat is the scariest thing on that statue
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:20 am »

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Timber, 307

Curses!  I seem to have miscalculated the number of marble blocks necessary for the pyramid.  It would seem we’re short by about 100 or so.  I’ve asked the most skilled masons to spend some time indoors getting those carved right away.  In the meantime, the construction crews can spend some additional time building the dining hall ceiling.   

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Timber, 307

Today the dwarven caravan arrived in our area along with what appears to be yet another new liaison.  Can’t say I’m sorry to see our last one disappear so quickly.  I’d love to be optimistic but after last years fiasco, I’m not holding my breath until every last merchant is through our gates. 

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Timber, 307

WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!  First we have a small goblin ambush show up that the merchant guards handily defeat.  Then suddenly I hear screaming from the hills above the fortress.  It was Zan Asteshstizash one of our wood workers running rapidly down the hill with a goblin ambush on her tail.  Even worse, as she was running, we saw a second ambush pop out of hiding right next to her.  I dispatched the military out immediately to take care of the goblins. 

I was sure the goblins started right next to her, but by the time she reached the bottom of the hill she had a decent head start on the goblins.  I was watching and quietly praying that she could run home fast enough that the military would be able to save her. 

As I watched from the wall with most of the rest of the residents, Lorbam Rigothnar the engraver began babbling and ran off towards the fortress.  Another possession or something like that just to top things off.  I ignored his ravings as he marched off towards the fortress and turned to watch the spectacle out front.  Then I gasped in horror at what I saw.  There were more dwarves outside the wall heading straight towards the incoming ambush. 

“GET UNDERGROUND EVERYONE, THIS IS NO TIME FOR WANDERING!” I yelled at them.  At least they listened and immediately headed for the gates.  The dwarves beside me also headed for the front door.  I turned back to watch again, rank hath its priveledges.  Zan was still staying ahead of them and the military had just reached the wall gates. 

Then one of the ambushes sharply turned back towards the mountain as the military approached.  I thought she would be ok with the military right on her tail.  Then a coldness took me.  “They’re going for the merchants, stop them quick!”  Finally, the military arrived and started tearing the goblins apart.  I watched with some relief as the goblins started to fall without any injury to the caravan. 

I looked over at Zan as she came through the gate.  “What were you doing out there?” I asked her.  And do you know what her response was?  “Oh, there was a dead animal out there I needed to grab.”  There are no words, I’ll have to inform everyone that dead bodies outside are strictly off limits. 

(OOC): @breadbocks: I’ve only been making a point of mentioning the claimed dwarves in the journal excerpts.  It would be reasonable to assume that this is just a small portion of Cog's journal notes.   There are a number of married couples in the fortress now, quite a few between military and non-military dwarves. 

@Scaraban: Yeah, and the cat is made out of bone too! 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Moonstone, 307

Congratulations to Urist Imiknorris and Pawn on the birth of their second daughter!  Still haven’t started trading yet our broker appears to be somewhere else.  I’ll have to track him down. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Moonstone, 307

Lorbam Rigothnar who dashed off during the round of ambushes last month finally finished an amazing artifact. 

It is a scepter of amazing quality.  It’s done wonders for pushing Towersoared’s value towards 2 million. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Moonstone, 307

Something particularly nasty has just appeared in the caves:

There isn’t any direct access to the fortress and the fishing area is secure.  Still, I’m going to bee keeping an eye on this thing. They tend to be quite unpredictable.  It also might be a problem when we finally open the caves permanently. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Moonstone, 307

That does it, I don’t know where our broker got to, but I’m not missing out on the caravan this year.  I went into the dining hall today and informed everyone that the first dwarf who made it up to the caravan to take care of this seasons trading would become our new broker.  Ingiz Mengbasen our leatherworker was first up and did a masterful job of trading.  The merchants got the message and brought lots of goods that we needed including wood and some metals we haven’t found in the area yet. 

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Opal, 307

Hmmm, this might be problematic:

I just received word that she arrived on the mountains above the fortress; it’ll be a bit before she reaches our gates.  I’m not going to trust a cage trap for this monster.  Hope Derm the Soulchopper and his squad of axedwarves are up for this one. 

(OOC): I’ll have the combat results up shortly.  I cloned the save just to see what would happen under a certain condition as an experiment before running the real combat.  Things went far better than I expected on the first attempt so it will stand as the reality. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Events of the 7th of Opal, 307

Derm the Soulchopper stood alone at the gates to Towersoared as the Giantess Tata approached.  He had informed his squad in no uncertain terms that they would not be coming out to the front of the fortress to aid him with this.  This was his opportunity to prove his mettle and ability. 

The giantess called out as she rounded the corner.  “Send out your finest warriors so I may crush them puny dwarf.  Then I will take you all as slaves and make this place my home.”  Derm the Soulchopper grinned and replied, “I’m the best warrior here beast, that’s all Towersoared will need to take you down.  Bring on your best shot!”  He raised his shining new Steel Axe held it ready as she charged at him with a roar. 

Derm ducked under her huge fists and took a swing at her leg.  The axe bit true, breaking her leg and severing her nerves and tendons in the first shot.  Despite the injury, she charged back at Derm, missing with her attack but she crashed into Derm, knocking him over and stunning him slightly. 

He dodged backwards as another shot came at his head, and again and again sending him tumbling backwards, dodging and blocking.  The delaying tactics gave his head a chance to clear while he learned the giant’s fighting style. 

Finally, the moment came.  He took at second shot at her left leg as a fist came at him.  It clipped him but he recovered quickly.  The giantess wasn’t so lucky as the axe bit into her leg opening an artery and breaking her shin.  He swung again and again, each strike breaking bones, cutting tendons and opening arteries. 

The giantess screamed in pain and charged one last time despite her injuries.  Derm calmely raised his axe and swung at her head.  The axe connected and her head went sailing out across the desert. 

Derm wiped his axe off and stretched.  Not even a scratch on him.  That was a good fight, it certainly was an excellent test of strength.  Back to the barracks, apparently Erith was trying out some new tricks with his armor. 

(OOC): I did this out  of curiosity to try and gauge how powerful Derm the Soulchopper has become.  I wasn't expecting him to do quite this well but I was surprised and pleased by the results!  I included the combat report excerpts just for fun. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:24 pm »

Awesome

I AM A GOD AMONGST DWARVES.   8)

Do i has title?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2010, 04:16:22 pm »

Tasty bit of writing there. On the original save, see if the cage would catch her. Caged (Semi?)megabeasts are fun. And Fun.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »

Derm is credit to team.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2010, 01:26:36 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Obsidian, 307

Just when I thought we’d make it the rest of the way through the year without any more craziness: 

A veritable army of goblins has shown up on our doorstep.  They’ve also brought a squad of trolls.  Our military has full steel weapons now, but only a few steel breastplates have come off the line so far.  Hopefully skill will make up for this.  It looks like the groups aren’t well coordinated, I’m expecting to see the trolls and a squad of spear wielding goblins before the rest of the army shows up. 

Everyone is restricted to being inside in case of archers and the military will be setting up to ambush the first group once they come through the gate.

Events of the 16th of Obsidian, 307

Derm the Soulchopper waited patiently inside the gate with the entire military.  One squad stationed to the left of the gate, the other to the right, just out of sight of the invading army.  The first to arrive were the trolls.  Two enthusiasts running ahead went through the line of traps.  One was caught, the other right behind him continued in to the compound straight towards the hammer squad.  The hammer dwarves tore into the troll and easily dispatched it. 

Then disaster struck.  The fight with the troll had moved the dwarves closer to the gate.  A third troll came around the corner, saw its fallen comrade and turned to run.  Shorast Isoneral the hammerdwarf shouted “We’ve got the on the run, CHARGE!”  And he ran out the gate after the trolls.  Several other hammer dwarves were close on his tail.  Derm heard a loud crunching sound outside and ran over to the gate. 

Shorast Isoneral was on the ground with blood pouring out the side of his head.  His skull was looking somewhat misshapen and he was on the ground unconscious.  Fortunately the troll was dead.  A quick glance confirmed, the first squad of goblins and several more trolls were almost to the gate.  “To the gates everyone!  Cover Shorast, he’s not dead yet!” 

And with that, the entire military charged out the gates, straight into the approaching squad of goblins.  As they approached, Derm watched in horrified surprise as Shorast rose to his feet and charged the goblins as if in a trance.  But he hardly had time to watch Shorast as he charged into the mass of goblins.  He swung his axe with great precision, each attack easily severing any limb that got too close to him.  The squad of goblins quickly fell to the better armed and armored dwarves. 

As the last goblins fell, Shorast came out of his daze and began staggering towards the gates.  Derm the Soulchopper quickly took stock.  As usual the hammer dwarves were slightly more battered than the axedwarves, but that was probably a simple factor of experience. Before he could catch his breath, Derm heard a sound from around the corner.  The next squad of goblins had already arrived!  And the third wasn’t far behind either.  Curse those goblins for pulling them out of position! 

There was only one choice.  “CHARGE!” yelled Derm the Soulchopper.  And with his axe in hand, he charged before any of the other dwarves had a chance to react.  But they were close behind him, he could hear their feet.  Once again, he waded into a swarm of lash and sword wielding goblins.  His axe was biting off arms and heads as quickly as the appeared.   Like a breaking wave from the terrible ocean, the dwarves tore through the goblin army until none remained except the few spry goblins who were running across the desert far faster than the dwarves could travel. 

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)

Derm the Soulchopper took stock.  One of his axedwarves was bleeding severely from the eye; he hoped the doctors could save it.  Many of the soldiers were bruised and slightly bloodied but it wasn’t anything that wouldn’t heal in a day or two.  A bit more coordination was going to be necessary in the future though to keep dwarves from charging out without orders like that but the battle went very well considering no dwarves were killed. 

(OOC): Derm the Soulchopper is like a machine.  Every time he swings his axe, another goblin limb goes flying.  Most of the other axedwarves are similar.  There are actually arms on top of the walls in several places. 

@dermonster:  I’m not 100% sure if this is his title, but this is the full entry on his nameplate: 
        Dwarven: Derm the Soulchopper, Ushatimik Adilngegdol Kosh, Military Overseer
       Translated: Derm the Soulchopper, Basementchucked the Walled Depression of Slaughter, Military Overseer

Quite the mouthful but it feels appropriate.  By the way, Derm the Soulchopper is credited with 9 goblin kills in the latest siege. 

@breadbocks: Glad you enjoyed it, the new combat logs make things much more interesting and graphic!  The cage trap worked just fine on the test.  I’ll be doing my best to assume that they don’t work though; I think it makes things far more interesting if the military takes care of these larger threats. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:09 pm »

Fantastic.

Words cannot describe the glee my rampage I have witnessed.

Also, I sorta intended for his Profession name to be Soulchopper. It seems kinda... off to keep using it like that, but whatever works.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »

The Soulchopper embodies his name...

Wait, isn't Towersoared's main dining hall a walled depression?

So Derm is the embodiment of the fort. No wonder he's so good.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:06:16 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »

The Soulchopper embodies his name...

Wait, isn't Towersoared's main dining hall a walled depression?

So Derm is the embodiment of the fort. No wonder he's so good.
:o

Anyways, HURRY WITH THE REST OF THE MONTH!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 118