Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293666 times)

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2010, 08:55:56 pm »

Again I must say that I am still enjoying this just as much even if it does seem as my dwarf is laying low at the moment. I suspect he's hiding from Cog's watchful eye so that he can plot and sceme. Either that or he just keeps getting distracted by a new task that needs to be done.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Limestone, 308

Most days I’m absolutely delighted to work with such talented and industrious dwarves.  Other days, I despair.  The pyramid is nearing completion so I took a few moments to go observe the creature that would soon be taking up residence there.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered this in the ledgers: 

A quick visit to the storage area confirmed it.  At some point years ago, we caught a second one.  And nobody thought it might be important to mention this?  Not one dwarf?  I’m not sure how this got overlooked considering someone had to carry the cage to the stockpiles.  The dwarf responsible is keeping his or her silence so we may never know who is responsible.  In the meantime, I’m commissioning a second steel chain for the pyramid.  If we’ve got two of the accursed creatures, we might as well put both of them to good use. 

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Sandstone, 308

The finishing touches are just being put on the pyramid and the mechanisms to control the various moving parts. 

There are just a few more tiles to lay in the hallway access and a couple more hatches to connect up.  There are in fact four levers for the pyramid.  One controls the roof cover; one controls the hatches leading to the recapture corridor and one for each of the Nightwing chains.  Next month we’ll be ready to put these creatures on their chains.  That’s going to be a dangerous job; I think I might have the military close on standby.  Then we’ll see if the superstitions are true and if feeding the Nightwings will help keep the evil creatures at bay.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Sandstone, 308

I thought it might be worth noting the quality of work being produced by various dwarves in our fortress these days.  Firstly, I’ve finally gotten Urist Imiknorris working hard at the production of statues to decorate our fortress.  I started her off with orthoclase but she’s moved on to marble today.  Here are two of her recent creations: 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Additionally, Minkot Voderith began production of tables and chairs for our dining hall.  He’s certainly a mastersmith if ever I saw one.  I’ll be putting him to work on some gold statues in the near future. 

And our engravers have been noting several of our military victories lately.  These images are certainly worth a look.   

Glassmakers are producing even masterwork windows for our dining hall.  Gem setters and Martini our slightly odd bonecrafter are just waiting for their opportunity to start decorating things. 

(OOC): I wish I was kidding, I didn’t even know a second Nightwing had become entrapped all this time!  It can’t be recent; the outdoor activity has been near constant for the last 3 years. 

@breadbocks:  Not a problem in the slightest, here it is: 

I’m trying to avoid keeping dwarves too terribly busy so some relationships will form on occasion.  I'm having mixed results though, some dwarves just seem to refuse to socialize.  By the way, Martini has been short on bones lately; the goblins aren’t rotting away fast enough and I'm overstocked on meat.  Actually from what I’m reading, they don’t rot down to bones anymore so I’m not entirely sure what to do with them.  I'm really tempted to see if I can tweak the raws so I can dismantle the skeletons. 

@Syntic: I haven’t seen your dwarf anywhere specific lately, but here’s an idea of what he’s been up too: 

Lots of dabbling skills.  You've spent more time rendering fat than anything else.  The one thing that keeps slowing you down is your dwarf will often end up just hauling things from place to place.  But he's certainly getting underfoot on occasion! 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:45:15 pm by Battlecat »

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »

Journal of Catten

"Down in the mines
All of my times
Thrown in the moat
Left to bloat.

Thats me... hehe... Heehee..

Who shall it be, next to the tree, waiting to pee as my pick swings free...

Hehe.... heehee...

((A portion is ripped out))

-a fiery mountain of doom...  The sun burns in the sky, with the skin darkening...

Need a drink, need a drink... Let it wash away... need a shrink, need a shrink...

((another portion is ripped out))

-og. He drinks only the best grog as he leaves us all in the fog... hehe... heehee...

Swing the pick, swing the pick! Don't want the magma to catch you... Hehee...

((A large unintelligible scribble))

ado I face the monster, outrun it... what do they do? they cage it to watch it and build a monument to it...

They will pay... but for now... catten will gatten..."

((So yeah, Catten's gone nuts. Couldn't think of what to do so I decided to make her go krazy. Nothing was really happening to her anyway. Also, for the laughing, that isn't actually written on the page. Its her maniacal laughter. On a side note, can you include her relationship charts?))

Catten Ubalmafol has gone stark raving mad!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:45:30 pm by Tuxman »
Meowth! That's right!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »

on a related note, who has that much time on their hands that they've been counting how many times that camel has been humped!! we need busier dwarves if they're starting that kind of relationships...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:44 pm »

Events of the 20th of Limestone, 308

Dodok Amnish apprehensively made his way up into the pyramid.  Inside, the two caged Nightwings were waiting to be assigned to a chain.  He had the misfortune to be assigned to move the first one.  He cautiously made his way towards the cage sitting carefully stored right next to the chain.  The beast was snarling and spitting inside with seemingly limitless energy.  Some dwarves said that these creatures never sleep and they’re always watching.

He only had one chance to accomplish this.  A haunch of beef that he had snagged from the kitchen would suffice as a distraction.  He began to wave the haunch under the Nightwing’s nose.  It watched carefully with intelligent eyes.  Then Dodok threw the meat into the cage on the far side from the cage door and chain.  The ravenous beast dove onto it and began ripping it to shreds. 

Dodok sprang into action.  He grabbed the chain and pulled the pin from the door to the cage.  Before the Nightwing could react, he threw the collar around the beast’s neck and pulled it tight.  The beast roared with surprise and turned to attack him.  Naturally, Dodok ran, the beast close on his tail.  The chain rattled as it was pulled to its limits and then Dodok heard a loud thump.  He turned to see the Nightwing flat on the ground, pulled downwards when the chain hit its limits. 

The beast thrashed around, biting and clawing at the steel chain but it held firm.  The beast was contained. 

However, there was no way Dodok was going to set foot in that pyramid to chain the other one.  The second Nightwing had been watching carefully and he doubted it would be fooled by the same trick.  Besides, the last thing he wanted was to have the chained Nightwing breathing down his neck while he tried to capture the other one. 

Cogs Journal, 21st of Limestone, 308

The first Nightwing has been successfully chained but none of the dwarves will go in there to chain the second one.  They won’t even retrieve the cage from the room because they’re so scared of the Nightwing.  I’ll have to rethink the design in the future but for the moment at least we can try feeding the beast to see what effect it will have. 

On another note, Catten Ubalmafol our finest miner seems to have gone round the bend.  The maniacal laughter echoing through the dining hall is rather unnerving.  It’s possible she’s been overworking herself down in the excavation site far too much lately.  I haven’t really seen her around much in the past months.  Perhaps I’ll stop in down there today and suggest she take a holiday, we certainly have the dwarf power to cover her while she relaxes for a while. 

I’ll have to be somewhat diplomatic when I suggest it though.  Not quite sure how far gone she is and she’s quite possessive of the work site.  They’ve just started excavating the 6th floor now. 

(OOC): The dwarves won’t chain the second one.  Once the first was on a chain, the second job just got canceled repeatedly due to interruptions from a dangerous animal.  I’m thinking I might be able to set up a system where both the Nightwings would be loose inside the pyramid in the future but this will do for now.  Hope you like it breadbocks! 

@tuxman: Whatever works for you!  Sorry there hasn’t been much to report for Catten lately.  Things have been going unusually smoothly in the excavations.  In fact, there haven’t been interruptions in the dining hall quarry from any creatures for at least 3 years. Catten has been working steadily down there for at least the past two years pretty much non-stop.  As a result her relationships seem to have suffered a bit as you can see here:

Her going crazy actually doesn’t surprise me too much.  I can relieve her from mining for a time if you’d like.  It certainly would be Cog’s first instinct when someone starts laughing maniacally.  Certainly I’ll be interested to hear how she reacts to the suggestion.  I won’t do that without your agreement though what with being uncertain of her reaction. 

@Scaraban: Indeed.  I’m keeping them as busy as I can but they still seem to find time for odd hobbies.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »

What kind of crazy?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2010, 03:08:08 pm »

Catten wants to keep digging. Not sure if I want her to be gone forever or temporarily insane... Dunno.

Journal
  Mutterings of Catten Ubalmafol

"Hehheee... I see the rock, turns to block. Raises high in the sky to be a wall. Its too tall.

They're always departing but they never arrive... And the ones that do arrive... they... they... never leave... You never see them go but they're always full... no one ever gets on... but they're always departing... (This continues for a while)

Too much rock, not enough time, too much time, not enough rock... heheee... The rock... it is precious...

(this part yelled, followed by a particularly deafening strike to the rock wall)  IT MUST BE DESTROYED!

(a number of rocks fall down onto Catten, none fazing her)

A number of locks, parried tocks....

Heheee... hee hee...

Time to snatch the catch... (looks down at rocks)

Time to feast... (begins digging again)

Too much yeast...

Stone, rock, the wood that is rock... dense particles of carbon based material...

...energy is mass multiplied by energy... hehe... hee hee...

I must begin the construction... (begins to gnaw on her pick as if trying to shape it)

... hee hee... catten ubalmafol has begun a mysterious construction... hee hee..."

((you find her in this state))

((@ Urist Imiknorris - Uhh... not sure? She's crazy. Hasn't had any human contact in three years... Just more dig orders. So... yeah...))
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:15:46 pm by Tuxman »
Meowth! That's right!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2010, 04:09:16 pm »

@Scaraban: Indeed.  I’m keeping them as busy as I can but they still seem to find time for odd hobbies.
You forget how dwarves breed. They use spores, so once they've married, it's open season.
((@ Urist Imiknorris - Uhh... not sure? She's crazy. Hasn't had any human contact in three years... Just more dig orders. So... yeah...))
Why would she have human contact? They only come once a season. If you mean dwarf contact, what about the other miners.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »

I mean she's been mining alone for three years. Just go with it.  Besides she's the legendary miner. She'd probably be mining longer and deeper than the other two.

Meowth! That's right!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2010, 04:14:18 pm »

She secretly struck adamantine.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2010, 04:22:02 pm »

She secretly struck adamantine.

win...

I would go with this if battlecat would mod in a single admantine nugget into her possession...
Meowth! That's right!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »

This is off topic, but Tuxman your avatar is trippy. The jerk part of me wants to show it to someone prone to seizures just to see what happens.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »

glanced at Catten's relationship list thought it said that she had a grudge against a child. i thought wow glitchy, then i thought, that kid is screwed you dont piss  off a legendary miner for long and get away with it.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2010, 09:37:23 pm »

Actually, its with the woodworker, but all the merrier.

And, yes, the avatar is kind of eye-rapey...
Meowth! That's right!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »

On fast-forward, it is enough to give me, a healthy (not mentally of course, I mean, I play DF) mid-teen, quite a migrain.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 118