Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293659 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »

You mean besides the mooch and his wife and his kids?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2010, 05:56:12 am »

By the way, do dwarfs play soccer or baseball? Because it seems like the mooch is trying to start his own sport team or something. Perhaps he's trying to make his own embark group. I guess for dwarfs starting a fortress is the only sport worth playing.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »

POKE!

Ahem I mean,keep going, man this is great.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

(OOC): Sorry about the unexpected pause in updating.  Completely forgot I wasn’t going to have computer access this weekend.

For the relationships chart, it would take quite a lot of time to go through all the dwarves in the fortress.  But listing the named dwarves and a few other important dwarves is well within my abilities.  Hopefully this google document detailing dwarf relationships makes sense and is helpful to all of you.  Remind me to update it once a few years of game time has passed! 

Now on with the story!

Cog’s Journal, 27h of Granite 306

Today construction started on the first phase of our new defensive wall.  I have high hopes that this will make work outdoors much safer at least from goblin ambushes.  Once this project is done, work can begin on the glass roof for the dining hall.  I’ve taken the time to lay out the first phase of the wall to accommodate future plans so we won’t need to tear them down later. 

Cog’s Journal, 7h of Slate 306

Another large group of migrants has just arrived.  Our population is now up to 94 dwarves!  The arrival of three talented marksdwarves was particularly exciting.  I immediately ordered the expansion of the archery range and the manufacture of a large quantity of bone bolts.  Martini will be hard pressed to keep up with them at the rate they're chewing through bone!  I'm going to have to expand the livestock pens to increase bone production for the future.   

Most of the rest have been assigned to hauling duty for the moment.  It’s a very important position really considering they’re also the mass construction crew.  There are a few other talented dwarves though including a fantastic leatherworker, another mechanic to help Pawn with his upcoming projects and a pretty well trained architect. 

Cog’s Journal, 25h of Slate 306

Construction of the first defensive wall is coming along nicely.  Today I took a few moments to head up into the dig site for the entrance hall to see how things were going.  Currently Catten and Rogue are busily carving out the 6th level of the dome moving downwards to the first floor.  It’s so exciting to be this close.  I also took a few moments to examine some of the engravings that will be out of reach once the next floor is excavated.

This is one of the few engravings of our military at work.  I think this is the goblin thief that was caught when the military was heading out to deal with the ambushes last winter!

Lots of fantastic pictures of Towersoared being founded.  This is just one of many. 

And quite a few regarding the appointment of dwarves to various positions!  This one is the appointment of Derm the Soulchopper to military commander.

Hmmm.  Apparently Syntic is working as an engraver now.  When did I assign him that job? 

(OOC): Syntic really is getting underfoot just as you hoped.  I've specifically seen him working as a brewer, engraver, several metalcrafting jobs and as a mason so far.  He still hasn't achieved enough ranks at anything to start being considered a professional. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

OMGWTFBBQ!

IT'S BACK! YAY! Anyways, cool to see that Martini is making "friends" with people, and even cooler that Catten actually doesn't know Martini.

Excerpts from the diary journal of Martini

Slate
Hey guys, girls, and readers of indeterminate gender! Long time since I've seen you, but not much has been happening. We have nearly 100 fellow dudes and dudetts. But no transgendudes sadly.... But you gotta keep the awesome flowing, man. Anyways, some more guys who go pew-pew came with the new guys, and now I have to work my thighs off. Uh oh. Got work to do. Later, dudes!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »

Urist's log, Slate:

That dwarf Syntic keeps getting in my way. Why can't he just pick something and do it?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

I get political correctness, but what's with martini's constant reference to transgender people?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

That's just his style. No person or otherwise left behind.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2010, 12:09:43 pm »

The Events of the , 21st of Felsite 306

Derm the Soulchopper waited patiently behind the glassworks for the siege to arrive.  This time they would have the advantage over the goblins.  The first goblin rounded the corner and was caught completely off guard by the squad of 10 heavily armed dwarves waiting there for them.  Before he had a chance to raise his spear, Derm had chopped the goblins arm off.  The rest of the dwarves charged in behind him.  And thus the battle was joined.
v
The battle went extremely smoothly.  The dwarves were well trained and their armor was extremely effective considering it was just iron and not steel.  Derm was silently thankful for the absence of bow wielding goblins.  He tore into the goblins with great violence and took great joy in seeing the goblins fly apart.  His increasing skill was showing, the goblins didn’t even manage to touch him.  This was fantastic preparation for exploring the caverns! 

As he knocked the wind out of the last goblin, he heard a shout, “Dwarf down, dwarf down!”  He looked over to see Limul and Shorast, two of the hammer dwarves down on the ground clutching severe wounds on their stomachs and torsos.  Derm grimaced, those wounds were potentially life threatening.  It would be a shame to lose these two considering how well trained they already were.  “Get them to the hospital quickly!” he shouted. 

Derm sighed, the secondary squad was decidedly slow in gaining skill.  It was fortunate that none of them had been killed yet. 

Cog’s Journal , 5th of Hematite 306

Well after what I saw today, I’ll be glad to class our military dwarves as some of the toughest I’ve ever seen.  Limul and Shorast were wounded during the battle with the goblins last month.  Shorast was back on his feet pretty much right away since he wasn’t injured too badly.  Limul on the on the other hand suffered a nasty puncture wound to her stomach and another one to her lung.  The doctor expertly stitched everything closed and today she was back on her feet and off to another sparring session. 

I gather she’s interested in ensuring that she’s ready for a rematch in the future.  I’ve been getting steel production organized so I’ll see what I can do about starting to get our dwarves better equipped.  Granted that’ll have to go in and amongst the pyramid construction.   

Also one of our woodcutters apparently got quietly inspired, snuck off and made something interesting while we were all watching the battle. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently he wasn’t feeling terribly optimistic about the upcoming battle or possibly about the survival of our two injured soldiers.  Certainly proved him wrong.  I’ll be putting this off to one side for the future!   

(OOC): Military is improving quite nicely.  I’m amazed once again that these dwarves are back on their feet.  One odd thing I’ve noticed about the medical system though, the doctors seem a bit sluggish at taking on the various jobs.  They stand around for quite a while with No Job while the dwarf is lying in bed resting.  Hmmm, that gives me an idea for the suggestion forum. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Hematite, 306

At long last, construction has begun on the roof for the dining hall.  I have high hopes for the duration of this project after witnessing how quickly the outer wall went up.  The first goal of this project is to get a complete arch over one end of the hall.  The first arch section will be 20 Urists wide. 

On another note, Martini is doing an amazing job of producing bone bolts.  Our marksdwarves haven’t been complaining of bolt shortages lately although they’re burning through them fast.  His “habits” don’t seem to be impacting his productivity.  I’ll keep my distance from his workshop though; I need to keep my mind sharp. 

Cog’s Journal, 25h of Hematite, 306

Just a short journal entry today.  A couple of auspicious and exciting events have occurred.  Construction is coming along very nicely, here’s a quick look at how fast this is coming together. 

We’ll be moving up to the second floor immediately. 

Secondly, I would like to note that Asmel and Vucar now have a 6th child.  Their fourth son was born today.  They now have four sons and two daughters!  This bodes extremely well for the future of our fortress. 

Finally, I would like to note that Urist Imiknorris is now a Legendary Mason, achieved through hard work and attention to detail.  Congratulations, I’m looking forward to getting her started on the statuary for our fortress! 

Cog’s Journal, 13h of Malachite, 306

Apparently one too many dwarves have seen Syntic in the kitchen working.  They’re calling him a novice cook now.  It’ll be interesting to see how long that lasts; I spotted him heading up to the dome to help with the engraving again. 

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2010, 05:20:16 am »

So I heard two dwarfs got injured the other day on the surface in a battle with some goblins. I've been asking some questions, and it seems all the soldiers aren't to worried about the goblins, but I can't say I have their confidence. You see, I've been doing a bit of research into the goblin culture during my spare time between projects, and it seems goblins use an interesting strategy to decide where to send their raids.

I believe that in the not to distant future, we should be able to expect a full blown siege from the goblins. I'm a bit worried what will happen when that happens, because I just sort of feel like we really aren't geared to closing ourselves off from the outside world until they get bored and leave. I'm also not sure that we have a strong enough force to make a full blown siege afraid and flee. I wonder if the boss would be interested in working a road into his surface plans. We could have some magma flow under the roads in certain spots, and pumps set up to pull that magma up above the road, and create a magma fall that would then drain off the edge of the road. We could then activate the pumps from the safety of the fortress, and melt any incoming invasion. Of course we would have to work on filtering the enemy to moving along this road, but that seems like basic tactics there, and the boss seems like he's smart enough to take that kind of stuff into account.

I personally think it would be fairly impressive even when the magma defense fall was not active, as guests and migrants would walk down a road, and to the left and right of them would be a magma river that the road was suspended above. They would also see arches that raise up from the magma, and go over the road. It would be these arches that house the magma pipes, but to the welcome guest they would be offering a welcome to friends.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:28 am »

Journal of Catten

"A couple days ago there was a siege. Luckily, the military took care of it quite admirably. They're getting better. Fast.

That's good if we want to survive. In the meantime, I was able to watch the battle from the fort entrance (along with a number of other dwarfs). Derm (The Soulchopper) is really getting somewhere with his skill. The heads flied.

The new recruits worked well too. They did well, but luck definitely aided their fight.

I was also pleased to see my iron armor protect my comrades well. I still think we need steel though. The only other place we use wood is beds, bins, and barrels and if we can, we should make some surplus and move on to producing steel. Steel is just as good as gold. But oh well.

In other news, Cog has finally started a wall. And at the same time, the dome.

I personally think that the wall should be done first, but the primary constructions are enough to funnel the goblins at least. The military's job will be easier, surely.

In the mean time, the green glass reflects onto my digsite (I can't help but call it "my". I've done most of the digging) Working in a green glow is kind of creepy at sunset and sunrise, but during the day its really neat to look at certain parts of the ground and see a different spectrum of color.

The dining hall is coming into its own.

In the downtime, Cog has released designs for the entrance hall. He's had me do  some preliminary digging. Its relatively circular.

Well, that's all the news for now. I'm off to have a drink."

((Sorry I haven't posted any entries lately. Been off at camp, and haven't had a ton of time to post. But meh, here it is))
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:08:50 am by Tuxman »
Meowth! That's right!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »

Woo! Now I get to wear glowing clothes!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2010, 05:47:50 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Galena, 306

The human caravan has just arrived once again.  I keep hoping they’ll bring a trading lord but it appears that may never happen.  On another note, just in time for trading there was an election.  Asmel the Mooch of all people has been elected to the position of mayor.  They only reason I even knew the election happened was because Asmel immediately came into my office  to inform me that as the fortress manager I should schedule the production of three large gems. 

I’ll get the gem cutters to work, but I’m not making any promises on this one. 

Syntic also came by with a rather novel magma defense system that could be rather entertaining.  It’ll be a bit of a challenge to build it though, so I’ll make sure the designs are solid before I implement them.  The final fortress walls are actually going to have a magma reservoir built into them, it'll be easy enough to tap them for this project.  I told him to rest assured that I like the idea and that it would get built eventually.  Just like everything else here. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Limestone, 306

The merchants are heading out on their way.  It was another excellent season of trading we barely had to empty one box of Vucar’s amazing crafts.  Ironically, we’re actually trading for less now that our food production is really getting going.  I still purchased lots of meat from them since they are offering lots of stuff we can’t produce ourselves. 

We got a huge amount of wood off them as well.  Catten has again been asking about starting steel production and I believe we are ready to start in earnest.  Since barrels and bins are now entirely being built out of metal, we only need the wood for beds and fuel.  I’ve got our carpenters building a large supply of beds for the future and a new migrant has started producing charcoal.  Once we have a sufficient supply of steel I’ll get armor and weapon production underway once again. 

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Sandstone, 306

The first section of the dining hall arch was closed overhead today.  Here’s a quick sketch of the work site as it looks now. 

Sadly I didn’t have time to really convey the glass effect so the roof isn’t quite as incredible looking as it could be, but this should give you an idea.  We don’t have nearly enough glass to finish the job yet, but the glassmakers are hard at work. 

(OOC): Anyhow know how to get stonesense to show green glass blocks with the right texture?  For some reason they’re not showing up right. 

@Syntic: I like that one.  I do have plans for a road, but magma defense like that will require a bit more design work than I’ve done so far.  I really like the idea though!

@Tuxman: Welcome back!  Catten should rest assured that the outer wall is complete for now.  There is a barrier that limits the goblins to a single point of access.  There is also a single line of cage traps set up to provide warning in the event of an ambush trying to sneak in. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Yup, you glow in the dark quite a bit right now! 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2010, 07:10:45 pm »

For the magmafall, just bring the magma up a few levels, and... let me show you
Code: (side view) [Select]
#####
#=>_#
#<=##
#=>##
GMMMG
This is a side view of the wall. The #'s are walls, the => and <= are the pumps, the G is a full ground tile, M is a magma tile. The _ is the floor where magma will be poured.
Code: (Under top) [Select]
#######
#_..._#
#P###P#
#P###P#
#######
The view is under the cap at the top. #'s walls, P's pumps, _'s floors, .'s are empty squares where the magma will fall.
Code: (ground level) [Select]
GGGGGGG
##RRR##
#PGGGP#
#PGGGP#
##GGG##
The G's ground tiles, #'s walls, and R's are floor grates, which can be pathed on, and let magma flow through. P's pumps, with magma under them. Problem solved.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 118