Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293661 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Granite, 308

Well the fact that I’m a day late in putting my thoughts together for the past year is a testament to how busy it’s been.  Hard to believe we’ve been here for 6 years now.  First of all, here are the latest architectural drawings and the financial ledgers for the year.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was a very profitable year on all fronts.  The dining hall excavation is past the halfway point and the pyramid and the entrance dome are nearly finished.  One more year and I can consider starting additional projects such as the outer walls and the inner courtyard. 

Also a more important note, while the two dwarves injured in last falls military action are not fully treated yet, they are well out of danger and should recover without difficulty.  And with that note, I will return to bed to sleep off my hangover from last night’s party.  Worm is very talented at brewing potent drinks now!

(OOC): @dermonster:  That does make a bit more sense.  Easy enough to fix and it’ll make everything a lot easier to read.  So if I change it your name, title and job will now read:

Derm, Basementchucked the Walled Depression of Slaughter, The Soulchopper

Is that a bit more along the lines of what you expected?  Just to clarify, did you want his title to be Soulchopper or The Soulchopper? 

@Urist Imiknorris: Interesting way of looking at it; that interpretation does actually work quite nicely!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »

o.O 30 seconds after I asked. You must be a very fast typer. :P
Also, I've come to think of Soulchopper as more of an extension of the title, not a profession.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:01:57 pm by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »

Either way is fine, but whichever sounds more epic in storytelling is preferred.
Wait, isn't Towersoared's main dining hall a walled depression?
So Derm is the embodiment of the fort. No wonder he's so good.

DERM IS FORT.
I'm not an axelord?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:58:13 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:53 pm »

(OOC):@breadbocks: I was just wrapping up writing the update when you posted.  :)  Most of the time between the last update was preparing the map for upload and making sure I didn't miss any important poi's this year! 

@dermonster: No worries, you are an axelord of epic ability as are 3 of your squad members.  One member was added late and is lagging behind a fair bit.  The military section of the stocks screen seems to be slightly bugged thanks to the new military system, it never seems to get the counts right.  The numbers fluctuate depending on which squads of military dwarves are active or not.  Your main job is actually the military commander at the moment so you're actually in the administrators list in that shot. 

The military currently consists of 5 axedwarves, 4 hammerdwarves and 4 marksdwarves. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:41 am »

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Granite, 308

Elian Bimedos our talented cook was yelling at the people in the dining hall today.  Apparently someone ate one of his masterwork roasts.  He didn’t know who took it; he’s just absolutely certain that someone ate it.  And apparently he’s not happy about that. 

Now I’m all for art appreciation, but last time I checked, food was meant to be eaten. 

On a more exiting and important note, I gave the order to the mining crew working inside to carve the first floor of the spiral stairway out today.  Due to the layout of the room, it’ll save the engravers a lot of time and heartache if they don’t work on the areas that are going to be carved out for the stairwell. 

Once that’s done I’ll get the majority of the entrance hall ready short of breaching to the outdoors.  Then it’s down, and down to the final level of the dining hall floor and the future site of the central fortress.  Once the construction crews are done, I’ll get them started on the next phase of the entrance hall towers. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Granite, 308

Delightful, here we go again:

Derm grabbed his axe and started towards the entrance as soon as the news arrived.  It'll be interesting to see if he can do it twice. 

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Granite, 308

It’s certainly a mark of confidence that Derm took a few moments to grab Quarry Bush Leaf Roast before heading out to confront the giantess.  I suppose he wanted a snack for after the fight.  And that confidence is well earned.  Derm the Soulchopper didn’t even give the giantess Shosel a chance to open her mouth before he tore into her.  In the first two seconds of the fight Sholsel was already on the ground with a broken arm and leg.  It only got messier from there.  He quite literally chopped her in half by the time he was finished.  I feel sorry for the hauler who draws that job out of the hat. 

(OOC): It was an absolute slaughter, there's just no other description.  The giantess didn't get a single swing in. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:21 am »

The roast must have rotted or been eaten by vermin or something to that effect - eating masterworks doesn't cause art defacement.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2010, 12:13:21 pm »

DERM IS GOD.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:16 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Felsite, 308

I’m very excited; today I laid out the blueprints for a feature for the west end of the dining hall.  I’m keeping the details secret, but it will be composed of entirely of gold when it is finished.  Here’s a quick look at the first details of it.  Naturally, it will be a free standing feature at the end of the dining hall when the project is done.  I’m just having it built now because it is easier to access. 

Additionally, the first windows are going in as part of one of the other features at the west end of the hall.  Even though the roof has many months to go and excavation likely has years still, it’s still very exciting to start putting some of the finishing details into place.  Next I’m going to be putting the final design instructions together for the clear glass roof of the pyramid! 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Felsite, 308

Derm recently reported that Shorast, the hammerdwarf who had his skull shattered during the last siege was missing from training over the last few weeks with no explanation.  Today we found out why.  While he’s fully healed up and there was no apparent brain damage apparently a nerve was struck that resulted in a bit of impressive imagination:

The quality of this is the very highest.  The image of his god is particularly striking and I’m sure other followers of Vucar will be pleased. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Felsite, 308

Two items of note today.  First of all, the Elven caravan and the diplomat arrived.  While trading with the Elves has gone well over the years, the diplomat tends to be irritating.  I didn’t really keep track of how many trees we cut down in the past year.  It turns out that Elves class these ratty little cactuses outside our fortress as trees.  I suppose they like anything that we can chop down and use.  Actually, I haven’t had to cut down as much as I would have expected, all three caravans brought tons of wood last year. 

Secondly, apparently a flock of vultures has gotten brave and decided to harass our crew working outside on the dining hall roof.  They aren’t hurting anyone, but there is a risk some foolish dwarf will dodge them straight out over the edge of the hall.  That’s a 14 story drop now. 

I’ve dispatched the marksdwarves to take care of the issue.  They could use the practice on moving targets. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Felsite, 308

Apparently these are particularly vicious vultures.  One of them swooped down and actually killed a dog!  It’s now chasing one of our haulers around.  I’ve sent out the hammerers to back up the marksdwarves.  It appears these vultures get nasty when wounded. 

Oh and apparently we won’t be seeing the elves this year.  A goblin ambush struck while they crossed the hills to the fortress.  I’m dispatching the axedwarves out there to take care of the ambush but I’m not holding out hope for the caravan’s survival. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Felsite, 308

Amazingly, our military managed to get there before any member of the caravan was hurt.  Let’s just say that arms flew a long way from that little fight.  It looks like trading might still be good to go assuming the injured horse survives and doesn’t fall into any traps.  Derm and his squad show their strength once again!

(OOC): I’m going to have to evaporate some stone soon, I’m well over 40k stone and the fps is starting to drop below 10 regularly.  Fortunately, I’ve kept some of the crappy stone completely restricted so I should be able to get rid of it by setting their boiling points to room temperature.   They haven’t even been used in artifact construction thankfully.  6 different kinds of stone account for 20k of the stone in the fort to date: Phyllite, Dacite, Granite, Diorite, Quartzite and Anulite.

@Urist Imiknorris:  I didn’t know that had been fixed.  It’s entirely possible that it was vermin.  I knew rot would cause it as well but I didn’t see any miasma.  Ah well, so it looks like he was yelling that nobody ate it.  :)

@Derm: No doubt about it.  I’m looking forward to putting your squad up against something more dangerous. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:38:42 pm by Battlecat »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:17 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Felsite, 308

Apparently these are particularly vicious vultures.  One of them swooped down and actually killed a dog!  It’s now chasing one of our haulers around.  I’ve sent out the

Oh and apparently we won’t be seeing the elves this year.  A goblin ambush struck while they crossed the hills to the fortress.  I’m dispatching the axedwarves out there to take care of the ambush but I’m not holding out hope for the caravan’s survival. 

Love the cliff hanger there. When will we know what happened? :P

Also, it wasn't me who suggested that it might have been vermin. It was Urist imiknorris. Anyways, good idea vaporising the stone. Any FPS that can be saved is good.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Hematite, 308

What an interesting day it has been today.  Trading with the Elves is done, quite successfully.  They brought 50 units of wood and tons of barrels and booze.  I’m very pleased that Derm and his axedwarves got out there so fast. 

Secondly, for the first time since we’ve had a mayor here, I’ve been elected to the position of mayor.  Minkot Voderith did a fine job over the last year, but it seems change was in the wind.  It’s going to be interesting juggling all these different jobs I have now.  I believe I’ll need a new office to celebrate this!  And maybe a personal dining room as well. 

On another note, apparently the Elven diplomat wasn’t pleased with the impromptu change of government so he left in a huff.  Fine by me, I didn’t want to deal with him anyhow. 

OOC: Sorry about the mixup above Urist Inmiknorris.  I blame last night’s insomnia. 

@breadbocks: Here’s the answer right now just so I don’t keep you hanging over the weekend.  I’m not sure if I’ll have any chance to play over the weekend.  Thanks for pointing out the mistake above as well.  By the way, the pyramid is very nearly finished.  Just a few sections of floor left and the mechanical aspects to set up.  I’m setting up a control area specifically for the pyramid. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »

Actually, I was pointing at the first paragraph in the 18th of Felsite. The sentence was left incomplete.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »

Yup, definitely insomnia.   :-\  I'll get that last sentence fixed right now. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Galena, 308

The summer has been mercifully quiet so far.  Most dwarves have been very busy working on their various projects relating to the dining room, entrance hall or pyramid.  Today it appears one dwarf has been busy with other things.  Ingiz Mengbasen, our leatherworker appeared in the dining hall today with an incredible mitten:

I like the inclusion of our first king on this one; it’s a particularly nice touch.  When we need leather items, he’ll be producing some pretty incredible stuff. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Galena, 308

The human caravan has arrived!  Hope they have lots of wood again this year.  Looks like they've arrived without any goblin related incidents. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Galena, 308

Asmel and Vucar are up to 8 children as of today.  Another son apparently.  Nothing else to report except that construction is going smoothly. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »

Progress is a nice change of pace.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

Agreed, Urist.

Battlecat, can we have a screenie of Asmel's relationship screen?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 118