Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: LOST is over  (Read 4404 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: LOST is over
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »

Sensei puts a tick mark in the "1" box
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 10:25:37 pm »

ITT there are two responses:

1. I DIDN'T WATCH THE SHOW BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

2. I DIDN'T WATCH MORE THAN THE FIRST TWO SEASONS BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

I thought the series was a lot of fun to watch.

But maybe that's because I actually watched it
As I said before, I watched the first 3 seasons regularly. What I failed to mention was that after I gave up on it, I came back periodically (I watched somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of the episodes of the 4th season, a few episodes (3ish) of the 5th, and none of the 6th) to see if it got any better.

It didn't.

But you're implying that one must watch ALL of a shitty show, even one that spans many years, before one can declare that it is shitty. So I guess my opinion doesn't count in your view because I only watched at least 72 of the 121 episodes total. But that implication is just ludicrous.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »

Yo, leave me out of this, dawg.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30:24 pm »

Well, I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't only value the opinion of someone who has experienced all of something than half of it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »

I watched all of seasons 1 through 4, in order, on DVD, in the comfort of my own home, on a big-screen projector.

If I find it increasingly more difficult to watch something the more I see of it, to the point where I actively dread having to go through an episode or two, I believe it's safe to say that I consider it to be crap.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:26 pm »

I loyally watched every episode. Every mystery that was revealed only lead to another mystery. There were so many crazy things going on. Several friends made fun of me for sticking with Lost, they said these people were just making shit up as they went along. I stuck with it, surely they were going to tie everything together, surely they had an awesome overall story where random shit didn't just happen just cause. The ending was going to be epic.

All my friends were right. It might have cost me untold hours over the last 6 years, but I am less naive now than I was at 8pm (7 central) last Sunday.

I could nerdrage and list every terrible unfinished mystery about the show, but there are only two real things I hate.

1. According to Lost, blind faith trumps science. Those who want to explore, and are curious about the world around them are wrong (MiB, Jack S1-5), those who ignorantly believe (Locke, Jacob, Jack S6) whatever is placed in front of them and obey without question, even if the person giving the orders has ruined their life, are right! Yay! Why does Jacob protect the island? Cause some psycho bitch murdered his mom, lied to him his entire life, and told him too, that's why! Why does Jack protect the island, cause some dude manipulated him his entire life and told him too, that's why! Also, it's his "destiny". He only finds peace at the end when he stops trying to think for himself and just does as he is told. Good boy!

2. Lost isn't a show about mystery, or suspense, Lost is a show about friendship and the journey we take together, anyone who doesn't get that is shallow and dumb. WTF show have you people been watching for the last six years? Is there really a sizable portion of Lost fans who never really gave a damn about the smoke monster, or the mysteries of the island, and only really cared about if Jin was really the father of Suns baby, or how the Jack/Kate/Sawyer love triangle would turn out? Seriously? When did Lost become Days of Our Lives, but like, on a weird island but that island isn't important cause they're really just friends going through life together. Just because Claire and Charlie both have names starting with the same letter, that doesn't mean they're just like Ross and Rachel. Lost was about mysteries, pretending that isn't the case now to try and justify a horrible ending isn't going to help.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 07:06:13 am »

ITT there are two responses:

1. I DIDN'T WATCH THE SHOW BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

2. I DIDN'T WATCH MORE THAN THE FIRST TWO SEASONS BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

I thought the series was a lot of fun to watch.

But maybe that's because I actually watched it
It's interesting...

When Cloverfield came out, I posted on my blog that I thought the movie was crap.  Two hours of watching random people run around screaming while stuff got destroyed by a big monster.  Nothing happened, didn't know who anyone was, didn't know what was going on, nothing was explained, etc.

I had a people show up on my little blog to correct me.  They told me that I just wasn't sufficiently informed to appreciate how good Cloverfield was.  They told me I should have been following the characters on MySpace of Facebook or whatever.  Told me how deep and meaningful everything was, if I only knew what I was seeing.

And now I'm seeing a similar response to the end of Lost.

Some folks are complaining that none of it made sense, nothing was explained, it was all crap...  And other folks are telling them they just weren't sufficiently informed.  They didn't watch enough episodes, or do enough research, or take careful enough notes.

Again, I've never watched a single episode - not even the finale.  I have no opinion on the show at all.

But it seems to me that if you need to take careful notes, watch each episode more than once, and follow up the program with a trip to your favorite forum just to figure out what the hell is going on...  It's probably a sign that you need to tidy up your plotlines a bit.

That's not to say that complexity is a bad thing, or that non-linear storylines are an abomination, or that you can't do character-driven stories...  Look at Pulp Fiction, or Twin Peaks, or Cemetery Man...  You just need to have the restraint to reel things in when they start spinning out of control.

Again, I have no opinion on the program.  It may very well be the greatest thing ever.  But if you're rolling out some kind of mass-market television program to viewers across the nation, you need to make it accessible or people are going to complain.  Not everyone in your audience is going to have the time or inclination to do all this research just to keep up with what's going on.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:04 am »

J.J. Abrams. That's his name.

He did well with Star Trek, but I feel that was his most appalling move. Forty, almost fifty, years of creative input go into a series that spawns nearly a thousand hours of film footage, and he deletes the entire thing by going back in time and changing history so that he doesn't have to do any research. How pretentious. I always hear the argument that they're in an independent timeline, but I don't think people get what's happened. Spock and the Villain went BACK in time and CHANGED history. The way that works in the franchise equates to everything we've seen and everything people have poured their livelihoods into for the past 44 years is gone. The only way to keep going is to say that this movie never happened.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09:27 am »

Star Trek pulled out parallel universes all the time, it's quite well allowed for in the canon. That it would happen in a feature length movie isn't too surprising. The important part is that by getting rid of those 40 years of canon, the ST franchise has gotten another chance to avoid total stagnation.

It's a story. If the old franchise/canon remains popular, we might just see that coming back (admittedly, pretty unlikely, since I'm sure the producers will avoid anything that might ever confuse any audience of any age group conceivable), if not, they'll go with the newer, simpler-to-write-for premise. It's not really screwed like the Lost franchise, which when faced with having written itself into a corner, just kept going and pretended there wasn't a problem.

(Of course, Star Trek will probably be abandoned again anyway for another decade and we'll just be subjected to a Lost spinoff/spiritual heir anyway.)
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:32 am »

They told me I should have been following the characters on MySpace of Facebook or whatever.

The Alternate Realty Game wasn't very good though.

Although I really enjoyed reading about an eco-terrorist group attacking Slusho targets for drilling in a delicate ecosystem. And how I heard the movie said nothing about said eco-terrorist group.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »

Star Trek pulled out parallel universes all the time, it's quite well allowed for in the canon.

The problem is, however, that they didn't open a parallel universe. They went back in time and ERASED everything that happened before, which is a popular villain tactic in Star Trek, and has been presented as being an apocalyptic style of universe destruction in the past.

You don't need to erase anything to keep a story from stagnating, either. What they need to do is just keep moving further into the future instead of jerking off all over the past. I don't know why people think that making prequels gives you creative freedom, but going into the future creates stagnation. It's the opposite.

It's like burning the Lord of the Rings so that you can reboot it with sexier Hobbits.

Except worse, because the Lord of the Rings wasn't actively worked on for the large part of a forty year period.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »

First, an article on Lost that a friend posted on Facebook.  Now onto something important.

I'm glad that someone finally sees what I saw in that Star Trek movie: utter crap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's more I could mention, but I think that's enough.  No, Star Trek as a whole hasn't been a great source of continuity and logic.  But it was never, ever this bad.  This movie was like an over-hyped fan fiction that had millions to spend on actors and special effects.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 08:08:36 pm »

As someone who doesn't really give a shit about Star Trek, I thought the movie was pretty fun. Which is to say, it was a Star Trek movie for people who aren't fans of Star Trek, so I can see why that pisses Star Trek fans off.

First, an article on Lost that a friend posted on Facebook.  Now onto something important.

Funny how some people seem to love everything I hate. Really, someone out the was actually a Sawyer/Juliet fan? Sawyer/Jack FTW.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:12:28 pm by kinseti »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:57 pm »

I hated Sawyer.
Shoes...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

Quote from: ABC
"Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/lost-exclusive-abc-sets-the-record-straight-about-the-series-finales-plane-crash-images.html

I wonder if this showcase the malleability of canon and the "death of the author" syndrome.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6