Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: LOST is over  (Read 4403 times)

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LOST is over
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:32:32 pm »

So i never watched lost,ever,i had more important things going on.
I did watch the 2 hour re cap and final episode,i figured why not.

I am glad i didn't invest 6 years watching the actual series.Some of the actors seemed likable.
I have no feeling either way about it.I was mostly drunk while watching the recap and final episode,It seemed like it was a better TV series than some but nothing historic.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:33:50 pm »

Sounds like you felt ... ambivalent about it!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:14 pm »

By god,your right! ambivalence thread,ahoy!
Wait.now I'm excited.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:52 pm »

Oh no! It is an excited face! The most excited face!

I guess you just can't stop being delighted today ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy the finale, but I suspect that you're missing the point if you have to ask these questions. It's like reading Romeo and Juliet, wondering who built Verona instead of focusing on the story of the characters.

Or saying "DF sucks, they never say what happens to their poo."

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy the finale, but I suspect that you're missing the point if you have to ask these questions. It's like reading Romeo and Juliet, wondering who built Verona instead of focusing on the story of the characters.

I've never watched a single episode of Lost.  I have no idea what it was about.  I really don't care how the series ended.

But, depending on the story and the context...  It is entirely reasonable to wonder who built Verona.

If you introduce Verona as some magical floating city in space, folks are going to want to know where it came from, regardless of whether the story is really about Romeo and Juliet or not.

If you've got a series full of wacky hi-jinks - smoke monsters and folks not being dead and mysterious stuff going on - people are going to want some kind of explanation.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

Well, they more or less explain it by saying the smoke monster was a demon and shit.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 06:56:16 pm »

Or did everyone else have the good sense to give up long ago?
This. I gave up on it after the 3rd season. It got shitty.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 07:08:44 pm »

Or did everyone else have the good sense to give up long ago?
This. I gave up on it after the 3rd season. It got shitty.

The bullshit episode about Jack's tattoo in s3 did it for me. I'd already lost a lot of faith over the course of that season, though.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 07:15:41 pm »

I've never watched a single episode of Lost.  I have no idea what it was about.  I really don't care how the series ended.

But, depending on the story and the context...  It is entirely reasonable to wonder who built Verona.

If you introduce Verona as some magical floating city in space, folks are going to want to know where it came from, regardless of whether the story is really about Romeo and Juliet or not.

If you've got a series full of wacky hi-jinks - smoke monsters and folks not being dead and mysterious stuff going on - people are going to want some kind of explanation.
This.

A more accurate statement would be saying halfway through that all the Capulets were cyborgs, and leaving it at that. No explanation, no reason at all, and it's like everyone in the play forgets it.

And then you break continuity later by having a Capulet bleed.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »

Dude. Fuck yes. There's a hole in the ground leading directly to hell? JAM A FUCKING ISLAND IN IT! YEAH!

Wait...that sounds familiar.... GASP! The Island was imported out of Dwarf Fortress! Sue Toady, sue like the wind!

Really though, I never watched famous shows after what The Sopranos did. I knew then that all dramatic shows would go for a trendy, stupid, cop out ending. If I knew anything about Lost I could have told you somthing like this would happen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »

Sopranos wasn't a trendy, stupid, cop out ending. Tony dies. Paulie is likely the one who organizes the hit. They pretty well tied up all the plots (except the Russian Commando from Season 3, but who cares), gave plenty of foreshadowing on what was going to happen, and then ended his life and the series at the same time.

If they'd been going for a popular-style ending, he would have died in a gunfight.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »

Sopranos wasn't a trendy, stupid, cop out ending. Tony dies. Paulie is likely the one who organizes the hit. They pretty well tied up all the plots (except the Russian Commando from Season 3, but who cares), gave plenty of foreshadowing on what was going to happen, and then ended his life and the series at the same time.

If they'd been going for a popular-style ending, he would have died in a gunfight.

Oh sure, there's alot of foreshadowing that it could indeed be that. But it isn't important. They cut to black for almost three miniutes, in a way that screams: WE AREZ ARTZY END, LOVB UZ FOREVAR! Now sure, the cut is most likely intended to make the viewer think about Tony & Co.'s fate, but they obviously threw it in when they couldn't think of a real ending.

And now other shows are picking up on it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 08:07:23 pm »

But they didn't throw it in when they couldn't think of a real ending. They threw it in to represent Tony dying. It's like in 24 where you don't get the little beeps at the end of the scenes where somebody important dies.

I would understand the outcry of 'omg they cheated us' if they hadn't foreshadowed this moment two or three episodes earlier. As it is, the plot was nicely wrapped up (hell, they wrapped up the plot in the episode previous, and this was just resolution), all the cards were on the table, and it ended.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »

This.

A more accurate statement would be saying halfway through that all the Capulets were cyborgs, and leaving it at that. No explanation, no reason at all, and it's like everyone in the play forgets it.

And then you break continuity later by having a Capulet bleed.

Cyborgs can bleed. It's androids that can't bleed. Besides that, I agree completely with the analogy. And actually, it sounds like something I would watch too. Why am I cursed with such horrible taste?

Even as a character driven finale I wasn't so impressed, mostly because by the end everyone was rendered unlikeable or dead (except Hugo). And if you want to make a character driven story do not introduce and refuse to properly explain plot points like donkey wheels that warp timespace, etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6