Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: LOST is over  (Read 4393 times)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: LOST is over
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2010, 09:26:43 pm »

Wait, the Lost island was a hellplug?
WAS IT MADE OUT OF ADMANTINE?

And stop hating on the new Star Trek, it was good enough.
I wish Shatner had done the "Space, the final frontier" thing though.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »

"Good enough," isn't enough.  If they're trying to revive a franchise, then they probably just killed it more.  Anyone who never cared about Star Trek before now has a totally wrong perception of what it's about.  Even worse, the period of history the director chose was practically a blank slate, they could have done almost anything and THAT would have become part of the canon.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2010, 11:27:09 pm »

Spock is a badass, Kirk is a lone-star rebel who will bang anything as long as its humanoid female in shape, and the rest of the crew are quirky and lovable.

What did they do wrong, ezaktly?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:20 pm »

Probably, people who liked that movie will not like the series if they look into it expecting more of the same.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »

Star Trek as a series (moreso in TNG, but to some extent in TOS) was all about relating to the issues of the day. They would ask questions and then struggle with them in the episode. They were all about trying to do what was right without hurting anybody, but they weren't always successful.

In this edition of Star Trek, Kirk shoots a bunch of shit, they blow shit up, he gets a commendation, he blows shit up, there is some sex, and then the movie ends. It's bubblegum action. They didn't even bother trying for any political intrigue or character development, as we say in the previous 10 Star Trek films. Even the bad ones had more interesting plots.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »

In this edition of Star Trek, Kirk shoots a bunch of shit, they blow shit up, he gets a commendation, he blows shit up, there is some sex, and then the movie ends. It's bubblegum action. They didn't even bother trying for any political intrigue or character development, as we say in the previous 10 Star Trek films. Even the bad ones had more interesting plots.

Bolded Statement: Probably removed because of the audience they were pandering to.
Italicized Staetmint: I thought there was some of that. I mean, we watched Spock and Kirk "Grow up" both physically and emotionally. The only characters that were just kinda static the whole way through were the crewmembers.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »

When Picard shot a Borg to death using a Tommy Gun while screaming in rage, I knew they had just stopped trying. I enjoyed the original and TNG series of Star Trek series. But frankly, I'll take Popcorn action over what the Trek movies had become any day of the week.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:59 pm »

When Picard shot a Borg to death using a Tommy Gun while screaming in rage, I knew they had just stopped trying. I enjoyed the original and TNG series of Star Trek series. But frankly, I'll take Popcorn action over what the Trek movies had become any day of the week.

Don't you disparage First Contact. I may not be much of a Star Trek fan, but I know quality film when I see it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 11:51:27 pm »

See, if they're pandering to the wrong crowd, that makes the movie a bad Star Trek film. I think it would have been great if it was generic sci-fi shoot-em-up. The fact that they felt the need to shred the old setting to pieces to make this is the problem. You just don't do that kind of thing to an established franchise. There's no reason for it. And you can make Star Trek cool and trendy and action-packed without changing the canon. There was no reason to use Kirk and Spock as characters when they could have just placed themselves after what had taken place (there was, after all, a big war last time we actually saw an update there, which was 10 years ago due to them making 'Enterprise' instead of another continuation).

Seriously, nobody cares about this 'returning to the roots' stuff. I never sit in my house, reading comic books, thinking "Jesus, I just can't follow along with Batman because I wasn't around in the 40s or 80s when his origin story and origin story remix came out. This fucking sucks" (Star Trek isn't an origin story remix, by the way, because they destroyed an important alien race. Just for kicks. There was literally no reason for them to do so). Instead, the work actually benefits from 80 years of creativity.

JJ Abrams is the kind of guy who would tear down the Mona Lisa and burn it because it was too old school. Then he would replace it with a picture behind a curtain, and promise that it's gonna be real awesome, like the end of Lost or the monster in Cloverfield. Then he's going to lift the curtain, and it's going to be two stick figures having sex.

Funny story, though. Explosm predicted that the Cloverfield monster would be the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and I liked this idea. So much so that when the dust cloud blew through the city, I exclaimed "IT'S MARSHMALLOW DUST, IT'S MARSHMALLOW DUST" in the middle of the theatre.

Of course, we all know that what we got was a giant frog thing. It was made different from Godzilla by being based on a frog and not a lizard. Durrrrrrrr. You don't even get a particularly good view of it for any length of time, either. Major disappoint.

Abrams is a masterful cinematographer, though. If he would just hand over the writing to somebody else, he could be making the best films in the movie theatre.

Also, First Contact is the best Star Trek movie. Hands down. Shooting the Borg to death with a Tommy Gun was cool.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:04 pm »

The bad guy was terrible, I'd like to add. Just Eric Bana (who I already disliked) mumbling and using Generic I Am Evil body language. I hope with the next 'new' Star Trek movie they do what the Dark Knight did to Batman Begins - BB was about Batman's origin and the villain was lame, whereas DK had a fiercely challenging opponent. I felt that the new Star Trek didn't give a crap about the villain, it was just an excuse plot to force mild character development (or rather, aggressive character interaction). If the next installment ends up being about a strong (not tough-wise, but character-wise) villain forcing the heroes to overcome their reservations, I'll be happy enough.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »

I heard they're going to use Khan.

It's going to be terrible.

Trying to be as good as the original Khan. Yeah, okay.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2010, 12:01:28 am »

I watched the last episode of Lost this morning... I've been kinda depressed ever since because I couldn't decide if I liked it or not.

But I think I really loved the ending. And the whole series. It was pretty amazing. Yep.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2010, 12:15:06 am »

I heard they're going to use Khan.

aaaaaaaaaaa

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2010, 08:56:43 am »

ABRAAAAAAAMS!!!

So are they going to...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2010, 12:12:21 pm »

At first I thought the new Star Trek was irritating and stupid for using time travel. But then I realized that so many other Trek movies and episodes dealt with time travel too. It was my mistake really. Star Trek is about time travel as much as it is about space travel. It's sort of like Doctor Who. You don't complain when they do time travel on Doctor Who, right?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6