Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: LOST is over  (Read 4398 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LOST is over
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »

Sopranos wasn't a trendy, stupid, cop out ending. Tony dies.

It is a trendy, stupid, cop out ending.

Tony is a human being. Of course he's going to die.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:07:24 am by SIGVARDR »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 08:13:53 pm »

Great contribution, Servant Corps, do you do birthdays?

I heavily prefer the cut-to-black ending to something like Sigvardr said, or some pan out into the sky, or some Everybody Loves Raymond style ending where you don't even realize that was the last episode of the show.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »

But they didn't throw it in when they couldn't think of a real ending. They threw it in to represent Tony dying. It's like in 24 where you don't get the little beeps at the end of the scenes where somebody important dies.

I would understand the outcry of 'omg they cheated us' if they hadn't foreshadowed this moment two or three episodes earlier. As it is, the plot was nicely wrapped up (hell, they wrapped up the plot in the episode previous, and this was just resolution), all the cards were on the table, and it ended.

I'll admit it isn't as grevious a offence, yes. The Sopranos only started this trend, unintentionaly, with a single minor cop-out. But other writers/directors/studio exectutives already look as if they are eating up this kind of excuse for their own shows.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 08:17:47 pm »

On Lost.  I feel about Lost the same way I feel about all J.J. Abrams productions in this vein (Except District 9, District 9 was awesome).

"Let's make a bunch of stuff up and figure out how it ties together later"

"Well, it's later, I have no idea what to do, let's make up some more stuff"

"Still nothing?  Maybe Locke is a vampire"

It's like the obligatory episode in every children's show where the main character tells a lie and has to keep expanding it to keep the ruse going.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 08:19:17 pm »

You need to look at television history. The Sopranos wasn't a cop-out in any extent of the word, and even if it was, it would not have been the first.

Remember Newhart? My God, that was awful.

I think Sopranos is up there with the best television series endings. Almost as good as All in the Family's ending.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »

At the sopranos comparison:
The cut to black works out nicely.What do you want,them to make some boring 2 hour "what happened to them after all that" episode or an ending that lets you come to your own conclusions.

Don't get me wrong. I really do enjoy the cut-to-black ending, no question, where you come to your own conclusion.

But it is also a a trendy, stupid cop out ending. Sometimes, some endings can both be cool and stupid. Like The Prisoner for instance. Or the show that took place in a snowglobe. Sometimes, endings are enjoyable because it is a cop out.

I just was saying that death doesn't really seem like a very good ending to a show, considering that we could already assume that people die.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

Incidentally, the producers cited Sopranos, Newhart, and the Snowglobe endings as endings he thought were terrible and wanted to avoid, so I don't think the Sopranos invited it to do a trendy ending.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »

Or the show that took place in a snowglobe.

Our whole show took place in a autistic child's mind! Think about the implications of your life! Give us your MONEY!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »

You don't get it. They're only obligated to make a good ending so they can get jobs again after this. They don't get any money out of being trendy, because after the last 15 minutes of the show, they will never make advertising revenue again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

I was dragged along for about four seasons of Lost, courtesy of my folks...  What really got me was just how much of a cinematography dungpile the thing is.  I'm not talking about the creative side of the series, it's just how they expressed the damned story.  Poor timing, lackluster event sequencing, and downright bad camerawork.

Now, on to the creative side of things...

I haven't seen the last episode, so I can't give my thoughts on it (like I said, only went about four seasons), but hoo boy...  Hell Plug?  I'm almost tempted to watch the dang thing just to see them try and say that with a straight face.  I can quite honestly say that I absolutely did not see that coming...  But I don't think the series gets points for finally outwitting me, because they cheated by pulling out THE MOST HILARIOUSLY BATSHIT IDEA THIS SIDE OF SCIFI CHANNEL SPECIALS.

I dislike Lost...  More than that, I dislike how some people seem to worship the unfathomable idiocy that it's composed of.

Lost was a steaming mound of bad, with a lightly salted sauce of bad drizzled over it, and presented on a platter of bad with some bad giblets added for bad.

It wasn't even bad enough to be funny or interesting, like the SciFi specials (Attack of the Rubber Spider Zombies?  Yes please), it was just bad.  Watching it irritated me.  It was a shameful excuse for a story, populated with schizophrenic morons and then translated to the viewer through a host of filmmaking mistakes that I don't even make.  Also, it tried fitting in some disturbing CMVs, which I personally have always had a hard time taking seriously.

Still though...  Hell Plug?  That's almost bad enough to be badass.

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »

It isn't hell. It's the ombilicus mundi from Foucault's Pendulum.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »

Anyone here read MS Paint Adventures? It's like lost with answers.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:55 pm »

The first season was so good, though, that I think if somebody else wrote a great script for this guy (Who is it? Not Jerry Bruckheimer, somebody with a similar name, isn't it?) he could direct it with finesse.

Unfortunately, he thinks he's also a writer, and produces things like Cloverfield and Lost.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 10:03:09 pm »

ITT there are two responses:

1. I DIDN'T WATCH THE SHOW BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

2. I DIDN'T WATCH MORE THAN THE FIRST TWO SEASONS BUT FUCK IT, IT IS SHIT

I thought the series was a lot of fun to watch.

But maybe that's because I actually watched it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6